Article about unhappy Britain

Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

mmmmmm..chips!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Do people in Britain still enjoy Fish and Chips? I thought Kebabs and Nachos had overtaken Fish and Chips, along with take out Chinese and Pizzas.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 5:00 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, there was a nacho shop on every corner when I was back last month.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Returnee
Do people in Britain still enjoy Fish and Chips? I thought Kebabs and Nachos had overtaken Fish and Chips, along with take out Chinese and Pizzas.
They are still there although many now are somewhat more sophisticated than what I rembember and all fried in oil. Sadly no more beef dripping.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...action=Gallery
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Oh yes, there was a nacho shop on every corner when I was back last month.

Did you spot the new chain 'Nachos-U-Like'

Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Well it's still fish, chips and mushy peas for me in my British household.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Hold on

Old Oct 5th 2011, 10:14 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Droidling
Good!!

Because it's not unhappy Britain for everybody, especially those of us who lived in a country where we were unhappy!
Old Oct 5th 2011, 11:52 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Just listened to an odd piece on BBC4, and yes, it's on topic, because it's about unhappy Britain -- indirectly.

It came out of the news that Tesco's profits are down, apparently because people aren't buying the upstairs stuff -- clothes, electronics etc. It went on from there to asking people in the stores about their spending.

When people said they were eating out less, not going to the cinema etc, the interviewer asked, "But what do you DO in the evening?"

One person said they didn't eat out because now they didn't feel able to borrow money to do it.

But overall, it was "what's the world coming to, people cooking from scratch, staying home, not buying stuff on a whim?" With the next step, "How are we going to grow the economy if people won't spend?"

With luck, people might come to enjoy having a nice meal at home, with wine or whatever, for a fraction of the cost of a restaurant (especially if baby sitting's a factor), and watching TV or a DVD, or even having friends and neighbors around for a pot luck, drinks, cards whatever.

But apparently we'll plunge the country into recession that way.

Whoever asked -- sorry, forgot -- I'm in Devon now, staying home most nights and happy with that. I'm over 60, but so are very many Britons.

Bev
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
It came out of the news that Tesco's profits are down, apparently because people aren't buying the upstairs stuff...
Is that just an expression or are there Tescos on two floors now?
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is that just an expression or are there Tescos on two floors now?
Yes, they put in a new floor in ours just as I was leaving
Old Oct 5th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bevm
Just listened to an odd piece on BBC4, and yes, it's on topic, because it's about unhappy Britain -- indirectly.

It came out of the news that Tesco's profits are down, apparently because people aren't buying the upstairs stuff -- clothes, electronics etc. It went on from there to asking people in the stores about their spending.

When people said they were eating out less, not going to the cinema etc, the interviewer asked, "But what do you DO in the evening?"

One person said they didn't eat out because now they didn't feel able to borrow money to do it.

But overall, it was "what's the world coming to, people cooking from scratch, staying home, not buying stuff on a whim?" With the next step, "How are we going to grow the economy if people won't spend?"

With luck, people might come to enjoy having a nice meal at home, with wine or whatever, for a fraction of the cost of a restaurant (especially if baby sitting's a factor), and watching TV or a DVD, or even having friends and neighbors around for a pot luck, drinks, cards whatever.

But apparently we'll plunge the country into recession that way.

Whoever asked -- sorry, forgot -- I'm in Devon now, staying home most nights and happy with that. I'm over 60, but so are very many Britons.

Bev

Bev - spot on, guess they want us all to keep spending and borrowing because the rampant global consumerism has worked out so well hasn't it ? Bloody muppets....
Old Oct 5th 2011, 7:53 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
Bev - spot on, guess they want us all to keep spending and borrowing because the rampant global consumerism has worked out so well hasn't it ? Bloody muppets....
Unfortunately, it's consumerism that will fund our pensions. Without consumerism, the economy of most countries will go down the toilet. Scary thought.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:29 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by dunroving
Unfortunately, it's consumerism that will fund our pensions. Without consumerism, the economy of most countries will go down the toilet. Scary thought.
I refuse to have scary or scarcity thoughts, the Universe will provide.
Old Oct 5th 2011, 8:44 pm
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Most people that hate living in England have never lived anywhere else.

Originally Posted by RChappo
When I was getting ready to leave the UK a work colleague kept banging on about me being able to bask in year round sun and walk among the palm trees. I was moving to upstate NY but he was talking as if it was Miami! Daft sod!
Now THAT is funny!

Originally Posted by bandrui
OK ... back to the original thought of this thread ... all the statistics in the world do not matter an iota if you want to move back to your home. Face it, life is what you create.

If you had never read a survey, you would never know whether UK was at the top of the list or the bottom and what does it matter anyway. If you want to be happy, you will be. You will immerse yourself in all the things you love and you will be home again. You will realise that the stats, reports and criteria are irrelevant to your happiness.

I am incredibly proud to be British... always have been and always will be... no matter where I go or where I live. Now why do you suppose that is?

I occasionally sink back into the habit of checking criteria and reading the media, but then I smarten up again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.