Article about unhappy Britain

Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

Originally Posted by Returnee
I used to go to footbal matches in the sixties and never experienced rampaging football hooliganism and the violence that has developed since.

an amusing troll.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I think the increase in alcohol-related illness is not what some think. There were always drunk kids in England throwing up in the town center, but normal everyday middle class folks didn't always drink wine with dinner the way they do now. I bet digging into those stats would show that the alcohol-related illness is not because of the hoodies Returnee imagines are worse now than they ever were, but because older people are finding themselves ill after decades of sipping wine with dinner.

I lived in a very sheltered little village growing up and then moved to a city for my work in the mid-80s. What a shock to see how it was after dark! I soon learned to get home before the drinking started.

Those who glorify the past seem never to remember the reality. What about 3-day weeks and rubbish piling up in the streets and football hooligans wrecking town centers week in and week out, and IRA bomb scares being a regular occurrence. Not to mention the awful food and generally low standard of living and watching Margaret Thatcher rip the heart our of northern communities. Yes the good old days indeed!

Or perhaps the yearning is for longer ago, back to the 40s when the nazis were killing jews throughout Europe and no one had enough to eat and there wasn't a national health service?

Or further back to the 19 century when there was no such thing as the dole and the vast majority of people lived in abject poverty with extraordinarily high child mortality rates?

I'd love to know which prior era is the exact one that constitutes 'the good old days.'

For me much of England is the same as it always was, with the same social problems, but there are also many improvements. In general, the average person's standard of living is much higher with young families able to afford the kind of holidays my parents could only dream of. The food is so much better there aren't even words. And the multicultural influx seems to be giving the miserable old Brits a new lease of life and energy. I was very pleasantly surprised on my recent trips back.
Ahh they joys of growing up in Britain I was a kid in the 70's, we had those blackouts every night for what seemed like forever, then there was a drought where we only had water twice a day for an hour or so.
Kids got drunk, (my Dh did it when he was about 13 or so) the parents never took them to the doctor, they just beat the snot out of them and put them to bed to sleep it off.
We used to go to watch man Utd play at home, there were always fights and mounted police no idea how my mother let me to to that mess on a saturday.
We got burgled a few times, turned out it was a neighbor, the local policeman beat the crap out of him for us before arresting him. Took my (single) mom nearly 8 years to crawl out of that financial hole with the electric company as he had taken all the money from the pay metre twice (it was full)
Live wasn't so brilliant, but we had fun. I much prefer now, double glazing, central heating, lots of food choices in the grocery store and the restaurants, holidays abroad, nice furniture. I could go on, but you get the picture, life in UK is easier than it was in the 70's and probably easier than the 60's and 50's too.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I used to go to footbal matches in the sixties and never experienced rampaging football hooliganism and the violence that has developed since.
Lol.

Football hooliganism was at its worst from the mid 60's to the late 80's. Sure there is still some football related hooliganism, but the idea that this is a problem now and wasn't back in the '60's is really really weird. I'm beginning to agree with others that you're merely a troll.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

I'm 99% sure Returnee is the editor of the Daily Mail .
Old Oct 14th 2011, 6:26 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

And died down since too. The hey day of hooliganism was the 70s and 80s. Things are much better these days. (Now there's a phrase you don't read often in the Daily Mail )

You missed the whole thing which means you'll have to find something else to be negative about
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all
Default Football Hooliganism

I do apologise for not being more precise regarding British football hooliganism. Football hooliganism first started in the late 1960's, and peaked in the late 1970's and mid 1980's before finally calming down following the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters. Of course all-seater stadiums and Closed Circuit Television has helped to keep hooligans at bay. UK police still have to deal with the problem of organised football gangs (Firms) like Manchester United's Red Army who take on rival football gangs.

Last edited by Returnee; Oct 14th 2011 at 10:17 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football Hooliganism

I do apologise for not being more precise regarding British football hooliganism. Football hooliganism first started in the late 1960's, and peaked in the late 1970's and mid 1980's before finally calming down following the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters. Of course all-seater stadiums and Closed Circuit Television has helped to keep hooligans at bay. UK police still have to deal with the problem of organised football gangs (Firms) like Manchester United's Red Army who take on rival football gangs.
Nice cut and paste from this link:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/footballindustry/hooligan.html

Seriously, do you have any original thoughts of your own?

Last edited by Giantaxe; Oct 14th 2011 at 10:32 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Nice cut and paste from this link:

http://www.liv.ac.uk/footballindustry/hooligan.html

'I do apologise for not being more precise regarding British football hooliganism. Football hooliganism first started in the late 1960's, and peaked in the late 1970's and mid 1980's before finally calming down following the Heysel and Hillsborough disasters. Of course all-seater stadiums and Closed Circuit Television has helped to keep hooligans at bay. UK police still have to deal with the problem of organised football gangs (Firms) like Manchester United's Red Army who take on rival football gangs.'

Seriously, do you have any original thoughts of your own?
Yes, I did get the edited information, above, from a site explaining hooliganism. But, facts are facts, which I think are always important. Many people, like yourself, criticize the poster and not the message. I guess this helps to ignore, skip commenting on what has been posted. It was also in response to sallysimmons post on the topic, so your comments are a little out of context too.

Last edited by Returnee; Oct 14th 2011 at 10:48 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:46 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did get the edited information, above, from a site explaining hooliganism. But, facts are facts, which I think are always important. Many people, like yourself, critisise the poster and not the message. I guess this helps to ignore, skip commenting on what has been posted.
Yep - I'm with the rest, constant cutting and pasting of negative articles without comment or setting = troll.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:50 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

It has been obvious for a while that this is a troll.

Probably one that we have had here before.....hence the name.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 10:57 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did get the edited information, above, from a site explaining hooliganism. But, facts are facts, which I think are always important. Many people, like yourself, criticize the poster and not the message. I guess this helps to ignore, skip commenting on what has been posted. It was also in response to sallysimmons post on the topic, so your comments are a little out of context too.
zzz
Old Oct 14th 2011, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishman43
I'm 99% sure Returnee is the editor of the Daily Mail .
I think he's a rep for Dignitas.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I think he's a rep for Dignitas.
I won't Dignify that with a rebuttal
Old Oct 15th 2011, 2:01 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well admin and mods seem happy enough to have him in here.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
Well admin and mods seem happy enough to have him in here.
The thing is I haven't used bad language or insulted anyone. Yes, I may have posted too many cut and paste stories, but living outside of the U.K. most of my information about Britain comes from news sites and TV news broadcasts. Unfortunately, most responders prefer to attack me personally and not comment on the issues that I have posted. Just get the usual responses such as: that it's much the same or worse in other countries. That's not really the point. The point is that ex-pats living abroad and thinking of returning to 'Unhappy Britain' are concerned about things such as high fuel charges; the decline of the NHS; unemployment and social problems such as binge drinking and crime.

Last edited by Returnee; Oct 15th 2011 at 2:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.