Article about unhappy Britain

Old Oct 15th 2011, 1:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bin there, ain't done that?

Originally Posted by Returnee
The system sound very backward. Must stink to high heaven in some places during summer
No, it doesn't smell at all. Proper bagging, a fortnightly collection, and low temperatures in Britain don't lead to stinking garbage. We don't live in the middle ages any more. We even have running water and indoor toilets.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dunroving
No, it doesn't smell at all. Proper bagging, a fortnightly collection, and low temperatures in Britain don't lead to stinking garbage. We don't live in the middle ages any more. We even have running water and indoor toilets.
I guess it is different in the soggy west of Scotland.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

The idea is to make people think more about what they're throwing away, recycling and composting.

Anyway, if you think that's confusing, here are the 2 systems we've experienced in Canada:

1) Rotating 6 day pick up schedule, bank holidays delay it a further day. we went 2 weeks over Christmas one year because that was how it worked out. The collection was a different day every week, and every few weeks you wouldn't get a collection at all. If you get the day wrong, you risk being fined, or raccoons spreading everything everywhere. 4 garbage bag limit, they also took plastics (all types)/glass/paper recycling on the same day.

2) Regular scheduled day every week, 2 bag limit. Recycling every 2 weeks (only numbers 1 &2 plastics), green waste and food for compost (but not leaves or grass clippings) alternating weeks.

I know of people who only get theirs collected every 2 weeks, but you can get more than enough for a family of 4 in a wheelie bin with the lid closed if you think about what you're actually putting in it. We rarely have more than one bag per pick up.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Is it really true that in many parts of Britain waste bins are collected every two weeks. Also, if you fill your bin up a little too much leaving the lid slightly up, then the binmen won't empty it. Duh! I take our plastic waste bag to a nearby drop-off point twice a week, which is about a 3/4 minute walk. Bottles and plastics are collected once a week. It sounds very disorganised, confusing in Britain.
Oh go away now.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

I live overseas and I read the news on websites and watch the news on BBC TV.
Me too. I was actually watching live coverage of the rioting on a BBC feed.

Some of the stuff that was going on was despicable. But then they had riots in Vancouver because of a hockey defeat.

Yes, I have cut and pasted stories from websites incl: BBC; Telegraph, Guardian and Mail.
I get the impression, though, that you have only used other sources because of the complaints about the Mail.

Unfortunately most of the main stories paint a gloomy picture of Britain,
Well of course they do. You seem an intelligent enough person; surely you know bad news "sells" better than good news?

I think some things about the UK have got worse over the years, as they probably have in many places. There are still many great things that keep the UK as a great place to live.

It was appalling reading of those incidents of the disabled woman in a wheelchair being beaten up and urinated upon while a friend of the attacker filmed it on his mobile (actually deleting stuff to make room for it) or that woman who had whatever it was thrown over her for asking people in the cinema to be quiet.

But there have been equally disturbing incidents here in Canada.

Where I live is relatively crime free, little vandalism, not much anti-social behaviour etc. It's probably that which makes me view my previous life in Bristol in a less favourable light than is fair.

Of course the locals here will tell you that things aren't what they used to be while I'm thinking how could they be better in that respect.

But there is good and bad everywhere.

I love the friendliness and respect that everyone seems to have for everyone else here (Moncton, New Brunswick) - not all of Canada by all accounts.

On the other hand, while Medicare is comparable to the NHS, it does not cover prescriptions. My diabetic meds and testing supplies cost about $400 a month. Diabetes means that in the UK one doesn't have to pay for such things. Even if one did, it would be a fraction of the cost and even cheaper pre-paying.

Luckily my wife is disabled and needs regular infusions that cost about $7,000 every two months. Why do I say luckily?

Because those infusions mean the total cost of our meds is more than our income, the province of NB pays for most of it. If those infusions didn't exist we'd have to handle the cost of the other meds - a mere $1,400 a month on our own. And we couldn't do that.

Diabetes, Arthritis and Fibromyalgia are bad enough physically but they can ruin you financially, even without the ankylosing spondylitis.

To be fair, most of the rest of Canada has schemes that cap your costs, but they vary from province to province.

But it does illustrate the good and bad perfectly as well as showing massive differences within the same damn country.

Anyone have trouble with bin collections?
Ours are weekly. And they are not delayed by holidays at all - other than xmas night. I think it is 2 weeks between collections then. But even Easter doesn't affect collection.

OTOH we have to put our garbage out in clear blue bags for 'dry' recycling and clear green for "wet" and if it's the wrong bag, you wake up to find a reject sticker on it.

Where we lived in Quebec before NB, collection was twice a week. Guess which is much the cleaner city. This one; with fewer garbage collections.

Fewer collections needn't necessarily mean things are worse.
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:19 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Well he completely ignored your post and immediately quoted his own post to try and stir something up, he really has to go, it seems quite obvious why he is hear and all he is achieving is creating discontent in a great section of this forum.

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Please do not cut and paste info from other sites as if they were your own words.

As Sue said in her post earlier -

All you are doing is cutting and pasting; you aren't giving any views of your own. Then you complain because posters attack you for it. The idea of a discussion forum is that you enter into discussions, not that you just post links to articles which you feel will stir people up. Most people on this section of the forum are returning to the UK at some point. We have family there, friends, connection. We visit the place. We know the bad news stories, and we also know the good ones, and are happy to discuss both. What we don't want is someone constantly preaching onesidedly about how awful the country is.
There are probably forums somewhere out there in the world in which your approach would be welcome, this isn't one of them. Please try and become part of the community if you wish to stay - for instance, why are you using this forum? Are you planning to move back to the UK?
Old Oct 15th 2011, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

I'm here mainly to bring up topics which should concern anyone wishing to move back to the U.K. Life, as they, say is not a bed of roses. I know England has its good points, but in recent years some have referred to Britain as 'Broken Britain.' One cannot ignore the problems in a particular society. Perhaps ones outlook depends on where one is coming from. Living in Japan I find it very hard to get my head around some of the problems in Britain. But, if I were living in America or Australia, for example, I may not be so critical. I'm not a 'troll.' Just a realistic poster who wishes to hear some personal experiences, views regarding the issues I have posted. This is not a 'cut and paste.'
Old Oct 15th 2011, 11:54 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You really are (deliberately ?) missing the point entirely, I would assume almost every expat knows what they are letting themselves in for. Yes the Daily Mail I think coined the 'Broken Britain' term as it no doubt sells papers to those who revel in doom and gloom, most people with half a brain dismiss it as sensationalist media crap.
No-one that I can see is ignoring any problems but to come on and try and stir people up about biweekly bin collections is absurd.
It would be easy for me to talk about the high caesium levels being found in the water around Japan and how it is expected to affect fish and agriculture but I'm sure you are aware of it.
Why not ask real people about life in the UK ?

I'm here mainly to bring up topics which should concern anyone wishing to move back to the U.K. Life, as they, say is not a bed of roses. I know England has its good points, but in recent years some have referred to Britain as 'Broken Britain.' One cannot ignore the problems in a particular society. Perhaps ones outlook depends on where one is coming from. Living in Japan I find it very hard to get my head around some of the problems in Britain. But, if I were living in America or Australia, for example, I may not be so critical. I'm not a 'troll.' Just a realistic poster who wishes to hear some personal experiences, views regarding the issues I have posted. This is not a 'cut and paste.'
Old Oct 16th 2011, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
You really are (deliberately ?) missing the point entirely, I would assume almost every expat knows what they are letting themselves in for. Yes the Daily Mail I think coined the 'Broken Britain' term as it no doubt sells papers to those who revel in doom and gloom, most people with half a brain dismiss it as sensationalist media crap.
No-one that I can see is ignoring any problems but to come on and try and stir people up about biweekly bin collections is absurd.
It would be easy for me to talk about the high caesium levels being found in the water around Japan and how it is expected to affect fish and agriculture but I'm sure you are aware of it.
Why not ask real people about life in the UK ?
Okay Chris, I'll take your advice and try to find some 'real people' for their opinions about life in Britain.

Oh, by the way, I don't think I'd like to be an elderly care paitent in the U.K:

A recent report from the Care Quality Commission into the care of the elderly in Britain's hospitals has som horror stories. One incontinent patient was left unwashed despite asking for help. Patients were without intravenous fluids. Call bells were put out of patients' reach, or not answered soon enough. Staff spoke to patients in a dismissive or disrespectful way. The elderly were not given the help they needed to eat.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:04 am
Banned

Blah blah blah blah blah
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:06 am
Banned

Who would have thought this could happen somewhere like Japan ?
http://samandimp.wordpress.com/2011/...nt-of-elderly/
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chris955
Who would have thought this could happen somewhere like Japan ?
http://samandimp.wordpress.com/2011/...nt-of-elderly/
You are trying to compare a huge natural disaster which brought on a lack of medical supplies to the everyday care of the elderly in Britain. Maybe Britain is suffering a social, welfare tsunami.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:15 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

You're feeding the troll.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:19 am
Banned

I know I am but he is making himself look so silly I can't help myself

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
You're feeding the troll.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 1:43 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I think the troll is addicted to this. But the thing is, I can't understand why.

Returnee, do you have friends and family where you are? Do you have interests and hobbies and places to be?

If yes, why waste time on a forum for people who want to live in a place you view as horrible? Go out, enjoy where you are, live a little!

If no, and posting negative things here is what you do to keep yourself busy, then dude, maybe it's time to take a good look in the mirror and think about how you're spending your life.

Personally I done with this thread and with you. I tried to help but you don't want help. I hope you find something fun to do with your time - Lord knows we only have a little bit of it to use. Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.