Article about unhappy Britain

Old Oct 24th 2011, 3:30 am
Just Joined

MIAman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

Originally Posted by gweilo
What, no gigs in Miami?
Apart from Julio and Gloria??? Not many mate and certainly not indie bands that's for sure!!!
Old Oct 24th 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MIAman
Apart from Julio and Gloria??? Not many mate and certainly not indie bands that's for sure!!!
Ditto. I may be old but I still love my music and Brit music is the best! My son loads down the UK Top 40 to listen to and knows a lot about what's going on in England music-wise.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 11:05 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MIAman
I miss going to gigs back in the uk so bad it hurts. Don't need Tropicana or shades for those
Me too! Even in Manhattan, it's just not the same as the UK. We've only seen 2 concerts this year - Billy Bragg and Elbow - and we have Noel Gallagher coming up in November. It seems we only see Brits anyway, so we might as well be back
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Me too! Even in Manhattan, it's just not the same as the UK. We've only seen 2 concerts this year - Billy Bragg and Elbow - and we have Noel Gallagher coming up in November. It seems we only see Brits anyway, so we might as well be back
I'm the same. Rochester, NY is a real dead spot as far as gigs go. If we want to see anyone decent we usually have to drive 4 hours to Toronto - which is not always feasible and we have to time off work to go up there if it's in the week. I used to go to so many gigs in the UK but now I'm reduced to maybe 4 or 5 a year. I missed Elbow in Toronto because it was on a Wednesday and I couldn't afford to take time off for it. How were they? (I would have been a blubbering wreck during 'Open Arms' btw with the "come home again" chorus!).
Would love to see Noel too but I don't think he's coming anywhere close. I tend to only go and see Brit acts as well.
Occasionally we do get to see a fairly big UK act come to Rochester, especially if it's their first time in the US and they haven't made it over here yet. We've seen Muse, Kasabian and Biffy Clyro in tiny venues with less than 100 people in attendance when they've been playing arena/stadium shows in the UK.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 12:52 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
I missed Elbow in Toronto because it was on a Wednesday and I couldn't afford to take time off for it. How were they? (I would have been a blubbering wreck during 'Open Arms' btw with the "come home again" chorus!).
Honestly, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life. Guy Garvey is such a charismatic but totally genuine and funny front man. He makes it seem as though a big venue is his front room and the audience are all close friends. And his voice! (And I was a blubbering wreck during Open Arms).

On a side note, a friend of ours went to see them at an event in Manchester a couple of weeks ago - they're launching a new beer for charity - and he asked Guy to tell my husband and I to 'come back home.' I have a video of Guy pointing at the camera, saying our names and saying 'come back home!' I was so excited when I saw it you'd think I was 12 again
Old Oct 24th 2011, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

On a side note, a friend of ours went to see them at an event in Manchester a couple of weeks ago - they're launching a new beer for charity - and he asked Guy to tell my husband and I to 'come back home.' I have a video of Guy pointing at the camera, saying our names and saying 'come back home!' I was so excited when I saw it you'd think I was 12 again
Fantastic! He does seem like a genuinely lovely bloke and that's a very nice little souvenir to have.

I'm tearing up a little here just thinking of the lyrics to 'Open Arms'.
I downloaded them performing it on Jools Holland earlier this year and it was amazing with the choir. I had to leave the room because I was blubbing too much and I didn't want my wife to know! LOL
Old Oct 25th 2011, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
Fantastic! He does seem like a genuinely lovely bloke and that's a very nice little souvenir to have.

I'm tearing up a little here just thinking of the lyrics to 'Open Arms'.
I downloaded them performing it on Jools Holland earlier this year and it was amazing with the choir. I had to leave the room because I was blubbing too much and I didn't want my wife to know! LOL
I think we need a British music scene thread.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I think we need a British music scene thread.
Please :-)
Old Oct 25th 2011, 2:37 am
Finally Home!

I think 3 posts and we were done. You can rest easy.
Old Oct 25th 2011, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I think 3 posts and we were done. You can rest easy.
You misunderstand... I would love to have a place to discuss the Brit music scene at greater length.