Article about unhappy Britain

Old Oct 1st 2011, 2:11 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

France is top, a fair indication of the credibility of that analysis ...
Old Oct 1st 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

So more than one in ten want to leave the UK do they? Wonder if I can get in touch with some of them and offer to swap places?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:18 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RChappo
So more than one in ten want to leave the UK do they? Wonder if I can get in touch with some of them and offer to swap places?
I'm sure there are plenty who would like to swap with you, I can't tell you how many young people have told me I was "living the dream" in Sydney and I must be mad to want to come back and live in this dump!!

Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I'm sure there are plenty who would like to swap with you, I can't tell you how many young people have told me I was "living the dream" in Sydney and I must be mad to want to come back and live in this dump!!

'this dump' meaning the UK?
Old Oct 1st 2011, 6:31 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
'this dump' meaning the UK?
Yes this "dump" being the UK.
Attached Thumbnails Article about unhappy Britain-quarry-bank-mill-3-.jpg  
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It's in the national psyche. America has worse economic problems and a higher unemployment rate, but you would never find Americans bashing their own country the way Brits do.
Much is down to the media. The UK has a negative press while in North America, the press portrays rainbows and lollipops. Or they are just brainwashed. Of course, everything depends on where you live and how much you earn. There are places such as Buffalo, New York that are equally as bad, if not worse, than the back streets of Blackburn. Other than that, having moved around various countries, I find that people will always try and justify why they live where they do. It is like all of this nonsense about the UK being overcrowded, try going to Norfolk or Herefordshire and you will find all of the space you need.

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 1st 2011 at 9:13 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Yep but I edited my post after you quoted Sally, and so far as I'm aware the US doesn't rate on the global stage for quality of life either, presumably in no small part due to the healthcare and child poverty/hunger issues and leaving aside RACE (broken) and the misuse of the death penalty.

Last week's NYT, 20% of NYC population live in poverty.
Interesting, I can remember a time when the USA was the place everyone wanted to get to. It looks like Obama has very little in his "out" tray.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

RChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to allRChappo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by johnh009
There are places such as Buffalo, New York that are equally as bad, if not worse, than the back streets of Blackburn.
Indeed, you can add Syracuse and Rochester (where I live) to that list. You rarely see these kind of places on exported US TV. A lot of Brits think the states is all like NYC, LA and Florida. They don't know about the other bits.
When I was getting ready to leave the UK a work colleague kept banging on about me being able to bask in year round sun and walk among the palm trees. I was moving to upstate NY but he was talking as if it was Miami! Daft sod!
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Britain has seen a sharp increase in the number of people unable to afford to feed themselves at the most basic level, thanks to the worsening economic climate and changes to the benefit system, according to a survey by a leading food charity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-food-handouts

Last edited by Returnee; Oct 1st 2011 at 11:41 pm.
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Britain has seen a sharp increase in the number of people unable to afford to feed themselves at the most basic level, thanks to the worsening economic climate and changes to the benefit system, according to a survey by a leading food charity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-food-handouts
Strange how so many are obese if they are "unable to afford to feed themselves at the most basic level" isn't it

You really ought to decide which way you want to knock Britain and stick to it....otherwise we will all get confused
Old Oct 1st 2011, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Not just in the UK where that is happening:

http://www.pressconnects.com/article...sey=nav%7Chead
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
Strange how so many are obese if they are "unable to afford to feed themselves at the most basic level" isn't it

You really ought to decide which way you want to knock Britain and stick to it....otherwise we will all get confused
Yes, I agree. It is rather strange that Britain has the highest obesity rate in Europe and at the same time there has been a sharp rise in demand for food handouts from poverty-stricken families.

http://optimized-by.rubiconproject.c.../22596-2.html?

Last edited by Returnee; Oct 2nd 2011 at 12:43 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Returnee
Yes, I agree. It is rather strange that Britain has the highest obesity rate in Europe and at the same time there has been a sharp rise in demand for food handouts from poverty-stricken families.

http://optimized-by.rubiconproject.c.../22596-2.html?
I don't know any 'poverty stricken families'.

All the people I know are doing just fine.....none of them are obese either.

I suspect that you are simply trolling judging by most of your posts
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

Some of the food charities around here can't keep up with demand. And this in the most obese country in the world.
Headlines only tell some of the story - the truth lies somewhere inbetween in most cases.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:15 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Charities here (Australia) are unable to keep up with demand and at the same time we have arguably the most obese people in the world.

Originally Posted by RChappo
Some of the food charities around here can't keep up with demand. And this in the most obese country in the world.
Headlines only tell some of the story - the truth lies somewhere inbetween in most cases.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.