Article about unhappy Britain

Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:49 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

Only thing that really pees me off about being back here is getting sick. Every time i come back i get a cold or flu! First one in 4 years and incidentally, im just back
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 6:22 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Eh?

Cheap foods include spuds and bread. Loads of carbs. You can make endless chips and eat loads of sandwiches. Eating the cheaper foods and little else can make you obese.

Healthier foods include fruit and veg. Or leaner (less fatty) meats. They're more expensive.

Hence a lack of money to feed properly (balanced diet etc) contributes to obesity.
Bristol UK

In the UK vegetables are not that expensive compared to junk food that is causing obesity in this country. You can go to a supermarket and buy 2 Pizza's for £7 or do what my wife does buy fresh chicken, onions, peppers, green beans,marrow, rice and make a chicken bake for the same money.
I do not believe its more expensive to eat healthier, but you have to be prepared to spend time on making a meal, rather than that of taking it out of a packet and putting it in the oven.

We shop at stores such as ALDI. 4 chicken breasts £3.80, 1 kg onions/carrots, a head of broccoli, cauliflower, 3 green peeper or cabbage 49p each/per pack. Pack of rice 69p. We live on a reasonable healthy diet which is affordable.

Hudd
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 7:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
You can go to a supermarket and buy 2 Pizza's for £7 or do what my wife does buy fresh chicken, onions, peppers, green beans,marrow, rice and make a chicken bake for the same money.
I do not believe its more expensive to eat healthier, but you have to be prepared to spend time on making a meal...
Certainly you can do better, healthier and cheaper by doing your own from scratch instead of ready made. But you can't get away from the fact that a few pounds of spuds for a fraction of the price of those two pizzas or the chicken will make enough chips to fill the belly more than the pizza or chicken.

Whatever the reason for being low on cash - spending the money on ciggies, booze, the betting shop, the electricity bill that was more than you thought, the cooker repair, new daps for the kid....if you only have a fiver left for the next day or two, that amount will buy enough spuds and bread for chip butties whereas it won't buy enough lean meat or fish, veg and fruit for the meals that need to be consumed before the next income.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 8:36 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly you can do better, healthier and cheaper by doing your own from scratch instead of ready made. But you can't get away from the fact that a few pounds of spuds for a fraction of the price of those two pizzas or the chicken will make enough chips to fill the belly more than the pizza or chicken.

Whatever the reason for being low on cash - spending the money on ciggies, booze, the betting shop, the electricity bill that was more than you thought, the cooker repair, new daps for the kid....if you only have a fiver left for the next day or two, that amount will buy enough spuds and bread for chip butties whereas it won't buy enough lean meat or fish, veg and fruit for the meals that need to be consumed before the next income.
A fiver will get a lot more than a bag of potatoes and a loaf. There will be enough over to get some carrots, and cabbage and add some veg to that dinner even if you don't get meat. A nice veggie curry with rice would work.
It seems here to eat healthy costs more than eating junk food, In Uk it seemed to be reversed. I think it's the pre package fast meals that are so expensive and make you fat. and too many biscuits and cakes in UK. I don't even look at that stuff here I can't afford to feed it to my family.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

BristolUK

I have notice that low income families tend to be much heavier smokers/drinkers than higher income earners. A pack of cigarette's will provide a cooked meal for a family of 4. I am classed as a high income earner in the UK and still careful how I spend my money. I do not smoke, go to the boozer or spend money on betting. I not sure how low income people can live that way and support a family. I assume that why the kids get chip butties.

Hudd
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all
Default Obesity

A significant factor in Obesity is that modern life is more sedentary than ever. A recent study showed that housewives in the 1950s ate more calories than their modern counterparts, but were significantly slimmer because their daily lives involved much more physical activity.
In the UK an estimated 60.8 per cent of adults and 31.1 per cent of children are overweight. According to figures from 2009, almost a quarter of adults (22per cent of men and 24 per cent of women) in England were classified as obese (BMI 30kg/m² or over).

BBC
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Obesity

Originally Posted by Returnee
A significant factor in Obesity is that modern life is more sedentary than ever. A recent study showed that housewives in the 1950s ate more calories than their modern counterparts, but were significantly slimmer because their daily lives involved much more physical activity.
In the UK an estimated 60.8 per cent of adults and 31.1 per cent of children are overweight. According to figures from 2009, almost a quarter of adults (22per cent of men and 24 per cent of women) in England were classified as obese (BMI 30kg/m² or over).

BBC
So how is that any different to other countries such as America, Australia etc. They have higher levels of obesity.

What point are you trying to make?

...or is this just more trolling?
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 11:44 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must agree, I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make. Most of your posts seem to infer that it is much worse in the UK than anywhere else when in fact that isn't true at all.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:23 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
A fiver will get a lot more than a bag of potatoes and a loaf. There will be enough over to get some carrots, and cabbage and add some veg to that dinner even if you don't get meat. A nice veggie curry with rice would work.
Yes, but that's probably just one meal for four. If you're faced with two days and a family of four add up the cost of eating healthy for eight breakfasts, eight lunches and eight dinners.

I'll bet that cost would buy potatoes, bread, a pack of cheap burgers from Iceland and some eggs; providing toast for brekky, baked spud for lunch, burger and chips for dinner and similar the next day except egg instead of burger.

All pretty unhealthy, but reasonably varied. And enough change for your smokes. (that's a joke)
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm befuddled by this one. I can think of an endless lists of things I'd rather see 250 million spent on. Not even the serious necessities, because weekly rubbish collection isn't a necessity, but things like the public libraries, and community halls and activities to combat loneliness at all ages, which is a serious problem.

If people need a weekly rubbish collection they're creating too much rubbish. Reduce, re-use, recycle.

Bev
Applause . You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

OK ... back to the original thought of this thread ... all the statistics in the world do not matter an iota if you want to move back to your home. Face it, life is what you create.

If you had never read a survey, you would never know whether UK was at the top of the list or the bottom and what does it matter anyway. If you want to be happy, you will be. You will immerse yourself in all the things you love and you will be home again. You will realise that the stats, reports and criteria are irrelevant to your happiness.

I am incredibly proud to be British... always have been and always will be... no matter where I go or where I live. Now why do you suppose that is?

I occasionally sink back into the habit of checking criteria and reading the media, but then I smarten up again.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Well they are not unhappy in Upminster !

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-best-sex.html
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:41 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

No, sorry. Making chips needs a lot of oil, so toss in that price, plus it's a real pain, so I suspect people filling up on chips are buying frozen or from the chippie. I grant you, you can get a lot of chips cheap from a chippie.

But potatoes and bread aren't making people fat. They're quite nutrious. Irish peasants lived on mostly potatoes and cabbage for centuries. Bread's pretty good, too, especially whole wheat. Boil or bake the potatoes and put some grated cheese on them and it'll fill you up much better than chips, and cheese is pretty cheap here. Add in-season fresh veggies -- not cut up and plastic wrapped -- and you can eat well.

Trouble is, a lot of people (not just in the UK) are addicted to fried carbs with lots of sugar or salt, and nothing else will do. Something like roast pork with steamed veggies and mash tastes like nothing to them. Pork shoulder's a cheap meat.

Bev
Old Oct 4th 2011, 3:30 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

No, sorry. Making chips needs a lot of oil, so toss in that price, plus it's a real pain, so I suspect people filling up on chips are buying frozen or from the chippie. I grant you, you can get a lot of chips cheap from a chippie.

But potatoes and bread aren't making people fat. They're quite nutrious. Irish peasants lived on mostly potatoes and cabbage for centuries. Bread's pretty good, too, especially whole wheat. Boil or bake the potatoes and put some grated cheese on them and it'll fill you up much better than chips, and cheese is pretty cheap here. Add in-season fresh veggies -- not cut up and plastic wrapped -- and you can eat well.

Trouble is, a lot of people (not just in the UK) are addicted to fried carbs with lots of sugar or salt, and nothing else will do. Something like roast pork with steamed veggies and mash tastes like nothing to them. Pork shoulder's a cheap meat.

Bev

Bev are you still down in Sussex or am i mixing you up with someone else?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:35 pm
Oscar nominated

No, sorry. Making chips needs a lot of oil, so toss in that price
I don't think it's that much and it gets re-used multiple times as well. People eating lots of chips probably have the oil already. It's just one of those things that you already have - like a tub of marge or jar of mayo.

Bread's pretty good, too, especially whole wheat.
Sure. But isn't it more expensive? It's 2004 since I was in England. My local supermarket sold cheap sliced white for about 25p anything better was three times that and more.

Trouble is, a lot of people (not just in the UK) are addicted to fried carbs with lots of sugar or salt, and nothing else will do.
Yep. Dead right. Canada's way behind the UK for reduced or no addeds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.