Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:40 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Does the above mean your statement below from a couple of weeks ago doesn't now stand? (Canada I say goodbye thread)

"What a pile of plop! I wish foreigners were treated like second class citizens in the UK, maybe then the British folk who inhabit the country would be aloud to be British!"
i am presuming you mean my use of the the word British. How pathetic you have to start reading my previous posts to try and insult me.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:31 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
i am presuming you mean my use of the the word British. How pathetic you have to start reading my previous posts to try and insult me.
Not at all Northernbird - I am just confused when you are now saying

"Also as an English (not british!) woman I have no problem with accepting people from other countries and cultures, I am an immigrant myself who wouldn't be very happy if the Australians hadn't accepted me."

when only a week or so ago on a thread I was watching you wanted foreigners to be treated like second class citizens in the UK.

I just think you need to make your mind up.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:32 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird

I cannot speak for Cape Blue of course, but I expect the reference was to your statement that you "wish foreigners were treated like second class citizens in the UK"...
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Not at all Northernbird - I am just confused when you are now saying

"Also as an English (not british!) woman I have no problem with accepting people from other countries and cultures, I am an immigrant myself who wouldn't be very happy if the Australians hadn't accepted me."

when only a week or so ago on a thread I was watching you wanted foreigners to be treated like second class citizens in the UK.

I just think you need to make your mind up.

SNAP!
Old Jun 29th 2006, 11:51 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

i can't recall what sort of mood I was in when I posted that but I suspect I was being a little sarcastic. This was what 1066 posted

You have summed up every reason why I no longer want to be a part of the "Canadian Dream".

From what I can see, Canada is about 100 years behind the rest of the civilised world. The labour laws stink. The holiday allowances stink. Foreigners are treated as second class citizens.

It made me cross after having spent 4 years in Canada and being welcomed and treated well that someone should say this. Peoples attitides that if it is different to england then its crap really irritate me.

I have lived in Norway, Holland, USA, Canada and now Australia and am no stranger to being a "foreigner" but I have always had the attitude of when in Rome do what the Romans do. I have said all along in this thread that I don't care if people are sky blue pink with yellow dots on as long as they respect England and its customers they can do the can can throught the streets of Morecambe for all I care.

i don't care if you think I am some daily mail reading racist, i know I am not. Now if you excuse me I am going for my walk on the beach!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:29 pm
Banned

eliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud ofeliz has much to be proud of

Hi
I am a Brit and have moved to Vancouver.
NO the NHS is NOT FREE. You pay more for your health in the UK if you are a worker. The UK system is OK if your claiming benefits all your life or an asylum seeker. When you work you pay through the teeth in National Insurance straight out of your pay. Here for a family of 3 we pay £50 a month. In uk we paid hhundredsevery month with out a choice.
Wait and see!!!!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 6:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eliz
Hi
I am a Brit and have moved to Vancouver.
NO the NHS is NOT FREE. You pay more for your health in the UK if you are a worker. The UK system is OK if your claiming benefits all your life or an asylum seeker. When you work you pay through the teeth in National Insurance straight out of your pay. Here for a family of 3 we pay £50 a month. In uk we paid hhundredsevery month with out a choice.
Wait and see!!!!
That is a good point. It's '6 of one and half a dozen of the other' as my dad used to say. I just find it a little scary in the US as there appears to be no safety net at all! Not that I have ever claimed benefits of any kind from anyone, it's just good to know that it is there should you ever need it.
Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Here for a family of 3 we pay £50 a month. In uk we paid hhundredsevery month with out a choice.
Wait and see!!!!
That's great that you only pay that much. Here, I pay over $300 a month for a family of four, and my employer pays another $1000 per month on top of that. Then there are additional copays, deductibles, expensive prescriptions and outrageous bills that show up because somebody has made an error and you get several reminders demanding hundreds of dollars before somebody with half a brain finally gets the mistake sorted out! That's been my experience, so give me the NHS any day
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:07 pm
Homebody

..... In uk we paid hhundredsevery month with out a choice.
Wait and see!!!!
I doubt you paid hundreds a month. NI contributions pay for much else besides the NHS - penions for a start.

As for choice, give me a break. One of sons needs physiotherapy, but our provider will only pay for treatment at a hospital in another town. So I spend 2 hours on the road ever two weeks just so he can see the therapist for 20 minutes. Even though there is perfectly good hospital 5 minutes from where we live.

Another son is on Acutane treatment, which requires a monthly dermatologist visit. Same story.

Our provider only has one OBGYN in town. I don't particularly like him, but that's just tough...

As for having to switch provider because our previous insurers would not fund the surgery one of us needs - and with it having to switch each and every doctor we used to see, because none of them were associated with our new provider...

I could go on... Some choice!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:08 pm
Homebody

..... In uk we paid hhundredsevery month with out a choice.
Wait and see!!!!
I doubt you paid hundreds a month. NI contributions pay for much else besides the NHS - pensions for a start.

As for choice, give me a break. One of sons needs physiotherapy, but our provider will only pay for treatment at a hospital in another town. So I spend 2 hours on the road ever two weeks just so he can see the therapist for 20 minutes. Even though there is perfectly good hospital 5 minutes from where we live.

Another son is on Acutane treatment, which requires a monthly dermatologist visit. Same story.

Our provider only has one OBGYN in town. I don't particularly like him, but that's just tough...

As for having to switch provider because our previous insurers would not fund the surgery one of us needs - and with it having to switch each and every doctor we used to see, because none of them were associated with our new provider...

I could go on... Some choice!
Old Jun 30th 2006, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

I've been asking questions around this forum trying to get the picture on the NHS as it is now, (for whatever reasons...)

We brought our Gran over from the UK to spend her last with her family. Admittedly, we could have checked things out better, but after her being here for 3 months, it became clear that not only would no-one insure her (she's 86), as a foreign national, she has NO rights to health care in the system here.
So back she goes, into a home in the UK.

NHS or Private? For all its apparant faults, the NHS seems to be centered on the needs of people who use it. Is our system in the US anything more than a money making venture?
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:17 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Got to say this thread seems to have gone way off the path.

I am sure someone first asked if anyone moved back and NOT regretted it.

The world is full of opinions, thats what make us who we are.

There is no point in arguing against each other trying to prove who is right and who is wrong.

Remember people on this forum, write their messages based on life experiences not intellectual knowledge.

If somebody wishes to move back to the UK from Oz thats their personal preference and they should have the right to ask people of their experience of doing this. I am sure all your essays about how life is wonderful in Oz or wonderful in the UK will help them, but surely wont make their decision.

I am personally moving to Australia because "I BELEIVE" and in "MY EXPERIENCE" so far, that Australia represents a better lifestyle for my family and my children. If I am wrong then so what, I have gained another valuable lesson in the journey of life.

Please do not try to belittle and ridicule people who are making valuable contributions to this forum from their own 'life experiences", 99% of statistics are made up on the spot you know !

As for all the PC agendas mentioned in this thread, some of you are quoting life experiences, some of are you are quoting papers and the rest of you are quoting figures you have found off the internet.

Until I personally go and ask every single person there own opinion I will treat it all with the propaganda bu****** that it deserves.

Use your own life experience to give valuable insight, if anyone wants to know what its like to live on the South Coast of the UK, in my town to be exact I can give you 30 years worth of experience. That said if you dont agree with what I say, thats your perogative, I am just giving you "My Experience", I feel far more qualified than a natoinal newspaper or internet report from someone who has never lived here.

btw. I cannot really help the first poster as I have never moved back
It also asks the question exactly where are you moving back too ? I would ask someone who lives in the town you want !!

An overall view of a country is like an overall view of a person.

Ahhh opinions....

Thanks for reading

Nick

Last edited by nick72; Jul 1st 2006 at 7:20 am.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick72
Got to say this thread seems to have gone way off the path....
And your post was way-off the path...

Back to the original question....

Certainly we don't regret returning. We do miss some things - although hardly life-changing - eg the coffee, eating out (but Oz capital cities only) - good food reasonably priced. That's about it.

And, in one word, what was our main reason for returning?

Ozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jul 1st 2006 at 7:40 am.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:43 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
And your post was way-off the path...

Back to the original question....

Certainly we don't regret returning. We do miss some things - although hardly life-changing - eg the coffee, eating out (but Oz capital cities only) - good food reasonably priced. That's about it.

And, in one word, what was our main reason for returning?

Ozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Agreed it was way of the path of the orginal question....just giving my opinion.

Nice to see you are able to try and bring it back on track.

Albeit with another sweeping statement.......

Nick
Old Jul 1st 2006, 7:51 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick72
Agreed it was way of the path of the orginal question....just giving my opinion.

Nice to see you are able to try and bring it back on track.

Albeit with another sweeping statement.......

Nick
Yes nick he should have been a Janitor , He sweeps so much ..... mm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.