Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Aug 5th 2006, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Coming from the Foreign office I expected them to be probably lower, than reality, lol. Doesn't look good if it looks like everyone is pissed of with the country and leaving.

Interesting how many of the so called British Institutes are now foreign owned.

Automotive sector: Once British manufacturers, Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin, Bentley, Jaguar, and mg Rover are now all foreign owned. American companies purchased Aston Martin and Jaguar; the Chinese, mg Rover; and in a cruel irony, Rolls-Royce and Bentley were bought by German companies (Independent, April 12). bmw purchased Rolls-Royce, the company that produced the engine that powered the World War ii Spitfire fighter that was so effective in combating the German bmw-built opposition.

Gas and Electricity: Many of Britain’s largest conventional power utilities are already foreign owned. In 2002, German energy giant rwe Power bought Britain’s third-largest energy supplier, npower, which supplies electricity and gas to approximately 6 million customers. Another German energy giant, E.On, owns even more of Britain’s energy distribution system. Through its subsidiary Powergen, E.On provides power and gas to 9 million British customers, making it Britain’s second-largest electricity and gas provider. edf Energy, the French state-owned energy giant, is Britain’s fifth-largest electricity and gas provider.

Until recently, very few have even questioned the wisdom of putting the nation’s heat and electricity in the hands of foreign corporations. In commenting upon the recent proposed takeover of British utility Centrica by Russian state-owned Gazprom, is the company that cut off the gas supply to Ukraine and consequently much of Europe early this year in what was seen as a political spat between the two governments. Centrica is Britain’s largest gas utility, supplying gas to 13 million homes.

Nuclear Power Generation: On February 6, British Nuclear Fuels (bnfl), the British state-owned nuclear power manufacturer, announced it had sold its power station construction arm, Westinghouse, to Japan’s Toshiba corporation. The Prospect union, which represents several thousand engineers, scientists and managers at 22 sites, attacked the sell-off for “robbing Britain of new-build expertise” (Morning Star, February 7). The government is also considering selling its stake in the nuclear power firm British Energy, which manages eight of the UK’s nuclear power stations and is the nation’s largest electricity generator.

Water: Britain’s largest water utility, Thames Water, is foreign owned, though it is up for sale once again by its German owners. Thames Water supplies water and wastewater services to millions of Britons and other customers around the globe. French-owned Veolia Water also owns and operates several other Uk utilities

Telecommunications: Communications providers have also been gobbled up. Last year, O2 plc, a mobile-phone company, was sold to Spain’s Telefonica for $31.7 billion. On January 23, Marconi Corporation plc, the last remaining British telecom manufacturer of any size, was purchased by Sweden’s Ericsson. Marconi roots could be traced back to 1897. It was also considered a heavyweight in the British defense industry.

Industrial manufacturers: Founded in 1886, British-owned boc Group, the world’s second-largest industrial gases group, is in the process of being purchased by a smaller German rival, Linde.

Another old imperial UK company that built parts for the Spitfire, Pilkington, was also recently taken over. The 180-year-old glass company manufactured the windows that fighter pilots used to peer through. The company has been bought by Nippon Sheet Glass, a comparatively smaller Japanese company. The merger creates the world’s largest glass manufacturer.

Shipping and Trade: Once the dominant global power in trade, today many of Britain’s ports and shipping companies no longer belong to the British. P&O (Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company), a company founded 169 years ago during Britain’s superpower days and one of the world’s largest shipping companies, having an unparalleled infrastructure of container ports and ships, was purchased in March by the United Arab Emirates state-owned company Dubai Ports World for $6.8 billion.

Finance: British banks have also been targets. In 2004, Abbey National, Britain’s sixth-largest bank and second-largest mortgage lender, was purchased by Spain’s Banco Santander for ₤9 billion This past May, France’s Credit Agricole sa confirmed that it was looking at another British bank, Alliance & Leicester plc, as a possible takeover target.

Even the London Stock Exchange is currently fighting off a hostile takeover attempt by Nasdaq.

Sports: Manchester United, is also foreign owned.

And now good old BA is now owned by the Spanish.

Originally Posted by Gezza
You are quoting very conservative figures. Even in 2000 I read it was more than 250,000 and growing year on year. The other day I read in Daily Something it was 340,000 in 2004. All of these figures are way under the true picture.Which is the reason why they allowed so many Foreigners in otherwise the British Economy could not withstand such a mass exodus of skilled population. They could not stop people from leaving. They are now running the race of trying to build cheap housing everywhere before another wave comes in from Bulgaria and Romania who are soon to join EU, to offer housing to those people.We are talking of population displacement. A British official on a trip to Eastern Europe last year boasted to the Polish press conference that the U.K. governement created more jobs for Poles than the Polish government. This is why those who resent some 2 million East Europeans now in the U.K. are missing the point: It is the British Government's effort to saveguard the U.K. Economy so that guys like you lot can convert all their savings into cash and plant it overseas!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond reputebugman has a reputation beyond repute

My US wife and I moved to New Zealand in 2001. For various reasons I couldnt feel at home there and we moved back in 2004. I was very sure about the move back but as soon as I got on the plane I realised what i'd left behind.

Once back in the Uk i felt like a stranger in a foreign land, it seemed dull, cramped and even dirty, I was very upset at our decision and felt i had made the biggest mistake of my life. I did from day one though begin to do what I missed the most in the UK....hill walking (and now with the dog we brought back from NZ). To cut the story short, within about 4 months I adjusted to being back, all out stuff arrived and we were renting a nice house (we owned in NZ). For me the freedom and easy access to the countryside in the UK is its greatest asset, in Auckland you were limited to a few small parks where you could let your dog off lead, to me nothing is better than the moors of England, a flask of coffee, a dog running behind and mile upon mile of fresh cold air, oh and a quick stop at the pub on the hills.

Suddenly spring 2005 my wife got an offer of work back in the USA near chicago, I had spent time there and knew I loved the 4 seasons (aucklands year round mild climate was not stimulating atall) and it was only 1 flight from manchester unlike NZs BIG trip. We moved again and i way prefer it here to NZ, I still miss my hill walks as here dogs can only run free in designated parks (that is quite a dull experience unfortunately for man and beast) but overall the quality of life is as good as NZ and you get way more of a seasonal kick than in the UK.

the point im making with all this? I did regret moving back to the UK but then quickly realised I did prefer it there to NZ but then we still moved over to the USA and I would like to stay here, its all such a difficult process, relocating plays with your mind and emotions like nothing else!

If I won the lottery however I would prefer to live in the Uk again my wife thinks she agrees on this too. I feel that to make up for the lack of sunshine there a bit of money is needed!!
Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bugman
My US wife and I moved to New Zealand in 2001. For various reasons I couldnt feel at home there and we moved back in 2004. I was very sure about the move back but as soon as I got on the plane I realised what i'd left behind.

Once back in the Uk i felt like a stranger in a foreign land, it seemed dull, cramped and even dirty, I was very upset at our decision and felt i had made the biggest mistake of my life. I did from day one though begin to do what I missed the most in the UK....hill walking (and now with the dog we brought back from NZ). To cut the story short, within about 4 months I adjusted to being back, all out stuff arrived and we were renting a nice house (we owned in NZ). For me the freedom and easy access to the countryside in the UK is its greatest asset, in Auckland you were limited to a few small parks where you could let your dog off lead, to me nothing is better than the moors of England, a flask of coffee, a dog running behind and mile upon mile of fresh cold air, oh and a quick stop at the pub on the hills.

Suddenly spring 2005 my wife got an offer of work back in the USA near chicago, I had spent time there and knew I loved the 4 seasons (aucklands year round mild climate was not stimulating atall) and it was only 1 flight from manchester unlike NZs BIG trip. We moved again and i way prefer it here to NZ, I still miss my hill walks as here dogs can only run free in designated parks (that is quite a dull experience unfortunately for man and beast) but overall the quality of life is as good as NZ and you get way more of a seasonal kick than in the UK.

the point im making with all this? I did regret moving back to the UK but then quickly realised I did prefer it there to NZ but then we still moved over to the USA and I would like to stay here, its all such a difficult process, relocating plays with your mind and emotions like nothing else!

If I won the lottery however I would prefer to live in the Uk again my wife thinks she agrees on this too. I feel that to make up for the lack of sunshine there a bit of money is needed!!
Hi Bugman, welcome to the forum.

I was about to say, after reading your first few sentences, that you should have posted this on the thread about moving back AND regretting it, but fortunately I read to the end!

I know what you mean about relocating playing with your mind. There is so much good and bad about any place, it's impossible to find the perfect location, and weighing up the pros and cons in order to find as near to perfection as possible is mentally draining!!!

Old Aug 8th 2006, 8:26 pm
Former Resident Visa

Jaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond reputeJaycee1 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in Aus although born in U.K. and due to my parents divorce, I returned to U.K with my mum and have regretted being here for years. I am now a mother myself to 2 daughters who have been to Aus with us and stayed with my Dad. My application is a long drawn out one, gathering evidence of living there and keeping in contact with friends and relatives 47SV.
I really regret not sorting out a permanent resident status before leaving, I could kick myself. My Dad took me to Australia House in Manchester when it was still open and because there was a queue I said forget it!!!! :scared:
YES I KNOW OMG Mine is a regretting it one (sorry)
J x
Old Aug 9th 2006, 4:31 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by goldcoastblue
I have been back a good few weeks now, and really glad I went to Aus and come back to blighty, it was worth the experience some really good, and some really weird and weirdo situations I found myself in.

I was going to write a story but basically lost interest and cant be arsed.
Everyone see's things differnently which I enjoy as it offers diversity in the world.

Personally I like England, and can happily live here for the rest of my life, I am english and proud to be, I am proud of the monarchyand the establised society we have, I enjoy the four seasons dark winters and long days of summer, regardless of rain or sun.

I will say:
One area that I found insulting and abusive was peoples reaction and remarks of going back to the England, as though Aus was the best place in the world, unfortunately it isnt, and whether you like it never will be. Its a nice country but "Just not all that".........there is something missing and at the moment I just cant put my finger on it, but it will come one day I am sure.

It has a lot going, but my exerience its transient, everyone moves around it has no roots, limited heritage, as the aussies only want history that is selective just like there personality, friendships and memory.
Never been in a society where the $ is obsessive,
The culture only exist in a few areas mainly in the cities, the rest is hicky towns and suburbia, anyone with a desire to get away from the country is torn to pieces and treated like a traitor....

Would I go back.. not at all, its a done deal, and theres no going back as people say, a complete opposite to what i said before I left blighty.. what a difference a stint does for you in Aus....

Conclusion

Worth the experience, lovely to see country.
Worth the experience of working for ...enough said.......couldnt have paid for it, even though i have some way or other.

Not worth the financial burden I have put myself in.
Glad to be back amongst friends and family
Glad to have a career once again where I am not prevented by "professional Cieling" and greed.
Glad to see educated politicians regardless of what the media pommie bashers say
Glad to be putting my kids in English mainstream education regardless of what the media and the pommie bashers say

There lots more but I am now bored................
couldn't agree more mate...spot on....read this and weap SEL....
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:17 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
couldn't agree more mate...spot on....read this and weap SEL....
Why would I weep

I really couldnt give a toss about the great uk/oz love-hate debate. Each to their own and all that and I love the uk and I love it here. You seem to have missed my point BIG time .... anyway I am pleased for you that the decision has been made that you are going to go home and believe it or not, hope you will all be very happy and in the meantime if you want to moan, have a moan, but please keep it real
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sel
Why would I weep

I really couldnt give a toss about the great uk/oz love-hate debate. Each to their own and all that and I love the uk and I love it here. You seem to have missed my point BIG time .... anyway I am pleased for you that the decision has been made that you are going to go home and believe it or not, hope you will all be very happy and in the meantime if you want to moan, have a moan, but please keep it real
i do keep it real...thats what bothers you let people have there say..it's not directed at you so whats the worry!!! in time i may change my mind about Perth u never know but until then i will keep it real as you say
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:44 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

i will keep it real as you say

Thats all I ask

and at least I've given you something else to moan about
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sel
Thats all I ask

and at least I've given you something else to moan about
me moan!!! easy now we could end up being friends!!!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 5:58 am
sel
~~~

me moan!!! easy now we could end up being friends!!!
Eeeeeasy tiger
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sel
Eeeeeasy tiger
where r u actually from urself then??? Perth by any chance...did i tell u i didn't like Perth!!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:26 am
sel
~~~

where r u actually from urself then??? Perth by any chance...did i tell u i didn't like Perth!!

Mmmmmmm I think you may have mentioned it

I am from Alvechurch in Birmingham (no brummie jokes please) and am in Quinns at the mo but we are moving soon (dont get excited ...we are staying in perth ). Where are you ??
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by sel
Mmmmmmm I think you may have mentioned it

I am from Alvechurch in Birmingham (no brummie jokes please) and am in Quinns at the mo but we are moving soon (dont get excited ...we are staying in perth ). Where are you ??
lol...we are in Carramar....lovely but boring.(can i say boring or is that moaning too much lol)...been to Birmingham loads of times...loved the place...i like big cities..Miss moneypenny was last place i went to in Brummy...it's been suggested to me that Subiaco is more my cup of Tea..wouldn't know as never been there yet...???
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:42 am
sel
~~~

lol...we are in Carramar....lovely but boring.(can i say boring or is that moaning too much lol)...been to Birmingham loads of times...loved the place...i like big cities..Miss moneypenny was last place i went to in Brummy...it's been suggested to me that Subiaco is more my cup of Tea..wouldn't know as never been there yet...???
Boring is ok in SMALL doses r u going to the meet at boat harbour tomorrow ???

moneypenny's is good, we all used to go to the gay clubs (more fun) or to the eighties clubs (me mates stuck in a timewarp), I love rock/goth/alternative scene...well all of it really

Oh bugger better go get the kids

Last edited by sel; Aug 9th 2006 at 7:14 am.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

If I won the lottery however I would prefer to live in the Uk again my wife thinks she agrees on this too. I feel that to make up for the lack of sunshine there a bit of money is needed!![/QUOTE]

If I won a lottery , still I wouldn't choose to live in U.K. :
once you have a bit of money , you expect and demand very much better medical service/s , than the shambles of NHS/"private" , that common or garden-variety Brits seem to so grumblessly except...
(What a pity !)