10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK

Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:08 pm
Banned

Imveryconfused is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK

A story for people like me who are thinking of going back to England.

ONE in five Britons — nearly 10m adults — is considering leaving the country amid growing disillusionment over the failure of political parties to deliver tax cuts, according to a new poll.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...7-2330678.html

<<Admin Edit - Article removed - Please see our forum rules where it states "You cannot legally post entire articles or news in the forum without permission from the copyright holder. Even if you attribute the article correctly it is still copyright infringement. Minor fair use excerpts of less than one paragraph or 4 sentences may be used if the content is publically available on the internet. All other forms of inserted content from press releases, newsletters, web pages, or any other copyrighted content placed into messages will be removed without exception. A link to the content is acceptable and appropriate.">>

Last edited by Sue; Aug 28th 2006 at 1:28 pm. Reason: Article removed and replaced with url.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 5:21 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10m want to quit 'over-taxed' UK

Originally Posted by Imveryconfused

ONE in five Britons — nearly 10m adults — is considering leaving the country amid growing disillusionment over the failure of political parties to deliver tax cuts, according to a new poll.
These 10 million probably haven't lived and worked abroad and discovered that the tax take in most developed countries is pretty much the same when you take them all (inc health & property) into account.

I have always thought that inheritance tax was one of the better taxes and am amazed that a Labour MP is suggesting its removal.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
These 10 million probably haven't lived and worked abroad and discovered that the tax take in most developed countries is pretty much the same when you take them all (inc health & property) into account.
This is so true. I have read a lot of posts on this site about people moving because of the high taxes. UK income tax rates are actually quite low compared to some of the favourite escape destinations for Brits. E.g. some don't realise that the highest tax rate in Australia is 47%. Admittedly, the threshold for higher rate has increased in the last 18 months. However, until recently, it was as low as c. $70k AUD. The basic rate is 30% and there is no tax-free allowance. Govts will get your money one way or another! Stamp duty on property in some parts of Oz is 6% - flat rate - no bands (a token amount is exempt but, like the UK, finding property in the exempt range is hard (unless going really rural perhaps). For many poms, the stamp duty will equate to 20 years' council tax....except you pay it all in one go).

There is a website somewhere that gives a country's ranking according to the overall tax burden. UK, many will be surprised to find, is not top of the list by any means. You really can't escape taxes and expect to live in a modern society with decent infratructure.

But yes, some reforms in the UK would be good.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...-single-worker

Ok, they're stats - read what you will into them!!. UK sits lower than US, Canada, Spain, France but higher than Oz & NZ.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/ta...-single-worker

Ok, they're stats - read what you will into them!!. UK sits lower than US, Canada, Spain, France but higher than Oz & NZ.
Wow- according to those stats Uk is only taxed marginally more than Switzerland!
I can't for the life of me see why Brits think they are so hard done by- are they all so tunnel visioned that they don't research- or are they just lazy and rely on the Daily Mail to research for them..ahem. They automatically assume that anywhere is better off than UK...what is wrong with them???????

I was talking to a couple of Brits out here yesterday- they were grumbling about the recent hike in insurance premiums (living in Florida) and grumbling about the property taxes..but ended up with the usual mantra "but of course we are still better off here than in rip off Britain"....normally I don't bother saying anything to this attitude, but must have had the devil in me yesterday, cos I gave them a sympathetic smile and said "well if it makes you feel better to believe that".
It must be time for me to go home - I'm running out of patience with bullshit nonsense in this country and not all of it from Americans.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Taffyles

They automatically assume that anywhere is better off than UK...what is wrong with them???????

I think that sums it up.

"Havent got a clue" comments that you hear on this forum (australia section) and in real life . EG, pom woman moved from the UK as the old age pension in the UK is a pittance. Woman didnt even know australias pension is asset tested basically unless you are very poor you wont get a cent, yet that was a main factor in moving here!!

Poms been in OZ years cant afford a trip home even, but if you say something like food in the UK is cheaper than in OZ they will always come back with noooooooo way!, totally unaware of the reversal thats gone up the last 5 years with UK competition and OZ monopoly.

Or funny ones like some bricklayer slaggin off the uK pay, immigrants, and weather. All assume pay in asutralia will be higher, one quoted rates 3 times higher than are paid and weather, picking some place where in summer 38 and 90% humidity will be better to lay bricks in!

Or really sad ones like somebody with a child with problems, shooting down the help they get in the UK which is usually very generous time wise and free, seemingly unaware that in OZ they wont get any help unless they fork out big time for private specialits for the child.

Its like you say, anywhere and everything is better than the UK. But is it

Last edited by jad n rich; Aug 27th 2006 at 8:57 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Why not try the Isle of Man? Income taxes there are a lot lower than the UK.
http://www.gov.im

However, although the IOM is British territory, non-Manx need a work permit. AIUI this is normally a lot easier if you have a skilled occupation.
http://www.gov.im/dti/employmentRights/workpermits.xml
Old Aug 27th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

I can honestly say that taxation would be extrextremely on my list of reasons in wanting to leave UK. Poll did not consider that most people they asked would be miserable gits no matter where they live. I look at positives I'll get from move not reasons I hate where I live that make me want to move. Also many people in England live down south and have never considered moving slightly up the country to find a better lifestyle instead they move thousands of mile away from family and friends who they end up missing incrincrediblyn they've not explored other options. I for one have one hell of a lot of family in Australia and my parents are retiring out there in a few years otherwise I'd not consider it as I live in North Yorkshire and it's a great place to live and I'd recommend it to anyone if they're looking at a less drastic alternative to moving to another country!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 10:25 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Wow- according to those stats Uk is only taxed marginally more than Switzerland!
I can't for the life of me see why Brits think they are so hard done by- are they all so tunnel visioned that they don't research.
I reckon so. We're in Oz, but our company (which still employs people in the UK) is there and we pay less tax there than we would if it was here. Not much in it (we sought professional advice) but it's definitely less.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 12:51 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

I was talking to a couple of Brits out here yesterday- they were grumbling about the recent hike in insurance premiums (living in Florida) and grumbling about the property taxes..but ended up with the usual mantra "but of course we are still better off here than in rip off Britain"....normally I don't bother saying anything to this attitude, but must have had the devil in me yesterday, cos I gave them a sympathetic smile and said "well if it makes you feel better to believe that".
Tell me about it. My insurance quote went from $1700 last year, to $4990 this year! I managed to get one at $2400, but only if I send it in first thing tomorrow morning as they stop writing when the announcement is made, probably sometime tomorrow and I'll be stuck with the 5k one. I have two friends with families who are leaving the state because it is becoming ridiculously expensive to live in. Property tax is really out of control.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Just thinking about this again, 10 mill brits want to emigrate, right so 1 in 6 of our mates, family are leaving the UK. That is just a load of toss.

We know 300+ people in the UK, out of that we know one friend who did leave UK, to aus, hated it ended up in spain. Then we have had 2 lots of cousins talking about emigrating to australia neither seem that clued up on it, more pie in the sky talk about great wages and sunshine. Dont think they will really do it. Had an uncle who moved to scotland, does that count
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:44 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Just thinking about this again, 10 mill brits want to emigrate, right so 1 in 6 of our mates, family are leaving the UK. That is just a load of toss.

We know 300+ people in the UK, out of that we know one friend who did leave UK, to aus, hated it ended up in spain. Then we have had 2 lots of cousins talking about emigrating to australia neither seem that clued up on it, more pie in the sky talk about great wages and sunshine. Dont think they will really do it. Had an uncle who moved to scotland, does that count
"10 million Brits are moaning about having to pay any tax. They are same ones who want free advanced medical treatment on demand, state-of-the art schools, great pensions, fast roads, and no foreigners."

We all know them.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:48 am

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

Inheritance tax should be abolished. Many family homes are lost because the owner dies leaving nothing but the family home, the benefactor has no means to pay the tax so the home is sold.
How can it be just to charge a fee for dying?

I have always thought that inheritance tax was one of the better taxes and am amazed that a Labour MP is suggesting its removal.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 3:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
Inheritance tax should be abolished. Many family homes are lost because the owner dies leaving nothing but the family home, the benefactor has no means to pay the tax so the home is sold.
How can it be just to charge a fee for dying?
Usually the home would be sold anyway, if there's more than one child involved.

The U.S. has an estate tax as well, although the thresholds are higher than those in the UK.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 3:48 am
Forum Regular

zoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the roughzoe13 is a jewel in the rough

why do you think the inheritance tax is so fair? im only asking out of interest as i have never met anyone who thinks it is fair so havent heard that side of the argument, so i would be genuninely interested

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.