Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of
Default Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

We're seriously considering moving back to the UK from Oz next year to buy our first house and (hopefully) start a family. Despite having a fantastic 3 years here so far these things seem too daunting to do so far from home and family.

We have an area in mind that we would move back to, which we haven't lived in before but isn't too far from friends and family. We would move back with enough for a deposit on a house that we could afford providing we find work earning what we do here.

I don't hate it here or love it there or vice versa - both countries have plus and minus points. I just feel that the life we have been enjoying here has been great for a young couple with no real responsibilities but that it's time to move on to bigger things and these are things that make family support and a sense of 'home' much more important.

Anyway, would just be interested to hear from people who had a positive experience in moving back and what their motivations for the move were?

Thanks
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:24 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by Jessie James
We're seriously considering moving back to the UK from Oz next year to buy our first house and (hopefully) start a family. Despite having a fantastic 3 years here so far these things seem too daunting to do so far from home and family.

We have an area in mind that we would move back to, which we haven't lived in before but isn't too far from friends and family. We would move back with enough for a deposit on a house that we could afford providing we find work earning what we do here.

I don't hate it here or love it there or vice versa - both countries have plus and minus points. I just feel that the life we have been enjoying here has been great for a young couple with no real responsibilities but that it's time to move on to bigger things and these are things that make family support and a sense of 'home' much more important.

Anyway, would just be interested to hear from people who had a positive experience in moving back and what their motivations for the move were?

Thanks
Hi there we are going in the other direction.

We started a young family over here and there is nothing for them to do, the UK is full of kids smashing things up and being abusive.

House prices are through the roof so your children will struggle to get on the ladder.

Apart from that the UK is great and if you want to buy my house let me know ! lol

We live right by the beach in Sussex if thats where you want to head you can PM me !.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Nick
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:33 am

Heart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond reputeHeart of gold has a reputation beyond repute

My hubby and I have spent much time apart due to work commitments since we have been together, but then two great things happened , he was offered a job here in Dubai and the perfect opportunity to be together full time. I had several holidays here before I moved with the children and thought yeah... its ok!

A good friend told me that if you don't settle within 18 months then you never will, and she was right - for me at least. We all sat down and talked at length about returning to Somerset as its where we moved from and we know the area pretty well, my youngest was a baby when we arrived and my eldest is more than happy with decisions we made, we can say that we have experienced living abroad and learning about a new culture.

If anything, being with my husband pretty much 24/7 has made us closer and our marriage stronger
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:34 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nick72

We started a young family over here and there is nothing for them to do, the UK is full of kids smashing things up and being abusive.

House prices are through the roof so your children will struggle to get on the ladder.

Apart from that the UK is great and if you want to buy my house let me know ! lol

We live right by the beach in Sussex if thats where you want to head you can PM me !.

Nick
Sorry but you will find its same s**t different bucket!

There are kids here hanging around with nothing to do but cause havoc and breaking into premises. The house prices are through the roof and people cant afford to buy here either. If they are your only reasons you will be disappointed!!

It is a great country here in Oz but not enough for us to stay. Been here 3 yrs and since starting a family we want to be back near family for our daughters sake.

Jo
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:39 am
Forum Regular

Jessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud ofJessie James has much to be proud of

Funny you should say that as near the beach in Sussex is exactly where we're looking although unfortunately not soon enough to buy your place!

As for getting on the housing ladder we are young ('ish) first time buyers with an average income and see no difference in our opportunities between here and the UK. Depends where you are comparing though I guess - same with the kids and boredom / anti-social behaviour thing. You get exactly the same here - the extent just depends on where you are.

Good luck with the move

Originally Posted by nick72

Nick
Old Jun 21st 2006, 6:51 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should say that as near the beach in Sussex is exactly where we're looking although unfortunately not soon enough to buy your place!

As for getting on the housing ladder we are young ('ish) first time buyers with an average income and see no difference in our opportunities between here and the UK. Depends where you are comparing though I guess - same with the kids and boredom / anti-social behaviour thing. You get exactly the same here - the extent just depends on where you are.

Good luck with the move
Oh believe me I dont have rose tinted specs on.

But I do believe it will be a better lifestyle for my children and more laid back for us. The rat race has taken its toll !!.

Nick
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:21 am
JoD
Forum Regular

JoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to allJoD is a name known to all

Thanks
Hi. I definately DON'T regret moving back to the UK. OK, so the UK has it's problems, but doesn't everywhere? It also has beautiful countryside and history and a free health system. I moved from Canada where you have to pay for absolutely everything, including children's health and your own drugs and treatment if you have a terminal illness - eg cancer.

I think the UK is a wonderful place and that the press always portray the bad side of things and put the country down. Being close to family and friends is the best thing in the world.

Good luck with your move.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Usual reasons for moving back to UK: relatives; much more alive in UK; parochialism and small-mindedness of Aussies; Oz's remoteness; wanting a better education for our children and provide them with more opportunities and a broader sense of the real world; Brit sense of humour.

We've been back for more than 2 years and love it.

Don't forget that most people that move back won't be on this site. And I only drop in from time to time to see what BS is being spun about Oz and the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 10:46 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MikeStanton]parochialism and small-mindedness of Aussies; QUOTE]

you won't get more parochial and small minded than the folk in the small north lancashire village I grew up in!

moving overseas isn't for everyone, different strokes for different folks and all that.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I also think that many people who move back to the UK wont be posting on here to anywhere near the extent that they did when they were living overseas. I was back in the UK a couple of years ago for around 2 months and not only didnt I have the time to post...too busy getting out and having a life but I found that all the reasons that motivated me to post when I was in the US were no longer there so I felt less inclined to post. Its almost as though I didnt have as much in common with anyone on this board anymore. You only have to look at previous prolific posters like Calle to see that happens.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=northernbird]
Originally Posted by MikeStanton
parochialism and small-mindedness of Aussies; QUOTE]

you won't get more parochial and small minded than the folk in the small north lancashire village I grew up in!

moving overseas isn't for everyone, different strokes for different folks and all that.
I don't know your particular village, but I disagree on the idea that UK villagers are parochial, certainly in comparison to the US. I think the average village postie, bin man, office worker, etc. in the UK is much more clued in on national and international issues than even big city dwellers in the US who think that the world map says "Here Be Dragons" anywhere outside the US. Even the US president is a yokel, for goodness sake!
Old Jun 21st 2006, 1:58 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

believe me, the folk of Warton are parochial. there isn't life past the village boundaries let alone the rest of england. when I first left and moved to London my grandmother called me in a panic one evening. she asked if I was OK because she had seen on the news that there had been a rape in London. Need I say more. I wasn't saying every community in england was parochial merely pointing out that all countries have areas like these and england is not exempt.
Old Jun 21st 2006, 2:43 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
believe me, the folk of Warton are parochial. there isn't life past the village boundaries let alone the rest of england. when I first left and moved to London my grandmother called me in a panic one evening. she asked if I was OK because she had seen on the news that there had been a rape in London. Need I say more. I wasn't saying every community in england was parochial merely pointing out that all countries have areas like these and england is not exempt.
Is that a "village parochialism" thing, or a "mother" thing?
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

I have been back a good few weeks now, and really glad I went to Aus and come back to blighty, it was worth the experience some really good, and some really weird and weirdo situations I found myself in.

I was going to write a story but basically lost interest and cant be arsed.
Everyone see's things differnently which I enjoy as it offers diversity in the world.

Personally I like England, and can happily live here for the rest of my life, I am english and proud to be, I am proud of the monarchyand the establised society we have, I enjoy the four seasons dark winters and long days of summer, regardless of rain or sun.

I will say:
One area that I found insulting and abusive was peoples reaction and remarks of going back to the England, as though Aus was the best place in the world, unfortunately it isnt, and whether you like it never will be. Its a nice country but "Just not all that".........there is something missing and at the moment I just cant put my finger on it, but it will come one day I am sure.

It has a lot going, but my exerience its transient, everyone moves around it has no roots, limited heritage, as the aussies only want history that is selective just like there personality, friendships and memory.
Never been in a society where the $ is obsessive,
The culture only exist in a few areas mainly in the cities, the rest is hicky towns and suburbia, anyone with a desire to get away from the country is torn to pieces and treated like a traitor....

Would I go back.. not at all, its a done deal, and theres no going back as people say, a complete opposite to what i said before I left blighty.. what a difference a stint does for you in Aus....

Conclusion

Worth the experience, lovely to see country.
Worth the experience of working for ...enough said.......couldnt have paid for it, even though i have some way or other.

Not worth the financial burden I have put myself in.
Glad to be back amongst friends and family
Glad to have a career once again where I am not prevented by "professional Cieling" and greed.
Glad to see educated politicians regardless of what the media pommie bashers say
Glad to be putting my kids in English mainstream education regardless of what the media and the pommie bashers say

There lots more but I am now bored................
Old Jun 21st 2006, 5:37 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Usual reasons for moving back to UK: relatives; much more alive in UK; parochialism and small-mindedness of Aussies; Oz's remoteness; wanting a better education for our children and provide them with more opportunities and a broader sense of the real world; Brit sense of humour.

We've been back for more than 2 years and love it.

Don't forget that most people that move back won't be on this site. And I only drop in from time to time to see what BS is being spun about Oz and the UK.

What he said. Haven't regretted moving back for one single moment.

How I miss seeing my home country routinely rubbished in the Aussie media.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.