Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jul 1st 2006, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

kissfritz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

[QUOTE=northernbird]
Originally Posted by MikeStanton
parochialism and small-mindedness of Aussies; QUOTE]

you won't get more parochial and small minded than the folk in the small north lancashire village I grew up in!

moving overseas isn't for everyone, different strokes for different folks and all that.
Hi Northern Bird
I am from Blackburn, Lancashire so really curious about what small northern village you are from? Go on, tell us, we can compare battle scars!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I doubt you paid hundreds a month.

I've just checked our payslips, I have been paying £270 & my partner has been paying £160 per month in NI contributions. Blimey - thats £430 per month.

We are by no means mega-earners, but do both have well paid jobs. So, I dare say there are a lot of people that do indeed pay hundreds a month in NI.

We are a fit & healthy childless couple who rarely visit the doctor and have had no need for hospital treatment. I have worked full time since leaving school ( 14 yrs ) & partner has worked full time since leaving uni ( 9 yrs ). Neither of us has ever claimed benefits of any kind. The one time I have required hospital treatment it was covered on my Bupa scheme through work, so it didn't cost the NHS a bean.

If we are ever in a position to need to claim some sort of benefit, we would be 'penalised' because we have worked had and put away a small amount of savings.

I would imagine that for us, £430 per month would buy a hell of a lot of private medical insurance.

It seems to be that in this country you need to be in one of two positions, completely penniless and rely on the state, or rich enough to be able to support yourself at a good standard when you no longer need to work.

It seems the middle of the raod folk that work their nuts off day in day out and pay plenty of tax and NI seem to be the ones that are propping others up? Whats the point in working hard all your life to put some savings away and pay your house off if the government make you sell it and use it for your care home bills, ( after you've paid 50 years of NI contributions and stacks of tax ). Then, if you do have anything left when you pop your clogs, they go and take another lump of that as well - not leaving much to pass on. It doesnt really inspire you to save money, might as well blow the lot and enjoy it then let the state look after you when you're old.

Sorry for going on, I just felt I needed to comment on the post about doubting that people pay hundreds per month in NI.

I'm not saying that Australia is going to be the place for us, or that we hate the UK ( we actually really love the UK ), or that the systems for helath care etc are better or worse. I'm just commenting on our current situation here.

We are looking at Oz as a big adventure at the moment - to take it as it comes and see what happens.

Good luck to anyone coming back to the UK, and anyone leaving for their first adventure.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

annalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant futureannalooby has a brilliant future

Usual reasons for moving back to UK: relatives; much more alive in UK; parochialism and small-mindedness of Aussies; Oz's remoteness; wanting a better education for our children and provide them with more opportunities and a broader sense of the real world; Brit sense of humour.

We've been back for more than 2 years and love it.

Don't forget that most people that move back won't be on this site. And I only drop in from time to time to see what BS is being spun about Oz and the UK.
My husband is an Aussie and he agrees pretty well entirely with you in regard to parochialism etc. One of the main reasons we moved back was the difficulty we had with meeting like-minded people with the ability to think outside of the square and not blindly accept the spin from press and government. We certainly didn't want to bring up kids in a society that does not allow healthy debate or opinions that are not those of the main stream.

That said - Tasmania is a lovely place and the people are great!
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nick72
Agreed it was way of the path of the orginal question....just giving my opinion.

Nice to see you are able to try and bring it back on track.

Albeit with another sweeping statement.......

Nick
Whoa, buddy!

Didn't you post:

"I am personally moving to Australia because "I BELEIVE" and in "MY EXPERIENCE" so far, that Australia represents a better lifestyle for my family and my children. "?

Well, guess what, my EXPERIENCE is based on living in Oz - in 4 different places (including a stay in the open prison aka the "Oz country") - and I BELIEVE that UK is far better.

It strikes me that when it comes to sweeping, you have by far the largest broom.

Remind me again, how many different places have you tried living in the UK?
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
I've just checked our payslips, I have been paying £270 & my partner has been paying £160 per month in NI contributions. Blimey - thats £430 per month.

We are by no means mega-earners, but do both have well paid jobs. So, I dare say there are a lot of people that do indeed pay hundreds a month in NI.

We are a fit & healthy childless couple who rarely visit the doctor and have had no need for hospital treatment. I have worked full time since leaving school ( 14 yrs ) & partner has worked full time since leaving uni ( 9 yrs ). Neither of us has ever claimed benefits of any kind. The one time I have required hospital treatment it was covered on my Bupa scheme through work, so it didn't cost the NHS a bean.

If we are ever in a position to need to claim some sort of benefit, we would be 'penalised' because we have worked had and put away a small amount of savings.

I would imagine that for us, £430 per month would buy a hell of a lot of private medical insurance.

It seems to be that in this country you need to be in one of two positions, completely penniless and rely on the state, or rich enough to be able to support yourself at a good standard when you no longer need to work.
Wow, I wish I had your insight. Let's get rid of the NHS, but...hold on a minute...let's not stop there.

I don't use any state schools now, so let's get rid of those. And all unemployment benefit - lazy bastards. And all sickness benefits, I've never used them - obviously, the "sick" are all faking it. Which reminds me, whoever had the idea of building public hospitals? Waste of money, and they only have sick people in them anyway.

And we can redevelop the land used for cemetries. At the same time, let's get rid of the navy; it's not much use in Iraq. Oh, and let's sell off all the libraries and all the parks.

Last, but not least, I use rail to commute into town. So, let's get rid of all the roads; people only get killed on them anyway.

Now, just make sure that you don't make any claim on the Oz public system, or some - not me of course - might call you a hypocrite...
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by annalooby
My husband is an Aussie and he agrees pretty well entirely with you in regard to parochialism etc. One of the main reasons we moved back was the difficulty we had with meeting like-minded people with the ability to think outside of the square and not blindly accept the spin from press and government. We certainly didn't want to bring up kids in a society that does not allow healthy debate or opinions that are not those of the main stream.

That said - Tasmania is a lovely place and the people are great!
Tasmania was the only place I didn't visit when I lived in Oz. Perhaps if I had...
Old Jul 1st 2006, 10:42 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, buddy!

Didn't you post:

"I am personally moving to Australia because "I BELEIVE" and in "MY EXPERIENCE" so far, that Australia represents a better lifestyle for my family and my children. "?

Well, guess what, my EXPERIENCE is based on living in Oz - in 4 different places (including a stay in the open prison aka the "Oz country") - and I BELIEVE that UK is far better.

It strikes me that when it comes to sweeping, you have by far the largest broom.

Remind me again, how many different places have you tried living in the UK?
Thats fantastic Mike you are entitled to your opinion and like you say you have lived in 4 different places and obviously felt that the place you live in the UK was better for you, again just your opinion.

The number of places I have tried living in the UK is of no relevance to you or to my statement ??

I am suprised that someone who is of obvious intellect can resort to pomposity to try and guide the uninitiated.

You have an opinion that you are entitled too as am I, because we live in a democratic society.

Please continue to answer questions on the forum as you obviously have a wealth of experience which I may in the future find invaluable.

I will put in my two pence worth when I think I can add credible information gained from my own personal experience.

Enjoy your day.

Nick

Last edited by nick72; Jul 1st 2006 at 10:56 am.
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:31 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
... but it seems some people lose sight of what they object to when the $$$ are waved in front of their own eyes.

lol....a very valid point.

nice to see you (and janeyray!) posting!!!

ps - shame to see yet another interesting and informative thread turned into a slanging match forum! not much changes round here
Old Jul 1st 2006, 11:59 am
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
lol....a very valid point.

nice to see you (and janeyray!) posting!!!

ps - shame to see yet another interesting and informative thread turned into a slanging match forum! not much changes round here
I agree back to the forum topic please.

Nick
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 11:04 am
Just Joined

saga is an unknown quantity at this point

Rregretted... Everything was changed... not in a good way
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saga
Rregretted... Everything was changed... not in a good way

Could you let us know some more about your experience?
Old Jul 2nd 2006, 9:58 pm
Bendy Bully

Eric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond reputeEric Hitchmo has a reputation beyond repute

Surely this all depends on your particular circumstances anyway? Mine were that I have lots of friends and interests in the UK, but just decided to give Aus a go. Once I got sick of beaches, Thai restaurants and coffee shops (after about a month), and realised that there's bog all else there, I realised I was on borrowed time. No amount of Aussies explaining to me that I was in "paradise" could make up for the soul-destroying boredom of the place, so I came back to the UK. History, tolerance, opportunities, humour and creativity abound here and I haven't looked back. No more picking up the newspaper to read witless drivel about my home country. No more television where "The Price is Right" is considered cutting-edge TV. No more pubs that don't resemble betting shops with crud lager that the Aussies refer to as "beer", and giant plasma TVs showing bogans in vests chasing a rugby ball and punching each other whilst the commentator shouts "Ripper!".

Each to their own I suppose. Good luck to all hoping to live the Aussie dream of a better lifestyle, where they'll be outdoors all the time enjoying healthy pursuits. That's what I say.
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 3:11 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eric Hitchmo
Surely this all depends on your particular circumstances anyway? Mine were that I have lots of friends and interests in the UK, but just decided to give Aus a go. Once I got sick of beaches, Thai restaurants and coffee shops (after about a month), and realised that there's bog all else there, I realised I was on borrowed time. No amount of Aussies explaining to me that I was in "paradise" could make up for the soul-destroying boredom of the place, so I came back to the UK. History, tolerance, opportunities, humour and creativity abound here and I haven't looked back. No more picking up the newspaper to read witless drivel about my home country. No more television where "The Price is Right" is considered cutting-edge TV. No more pubs that don't resemble betting shops with crud lager that the Aussies refer to as "beer", and giant plasma TVs showing bogans in vests chasing a rugby ball and punching each other whilst the commentator shouts "Ripper!".

Each to their own I suppose. Good luck to all hoping to live the Aussie dream of a better lifestyle, where they'll be outdoors all the time enjoying healthy pursuits. That's what I say.
Thank you - I can really relate to what you have said. The thought of heading to a pub with proper chairs shall be an exciting adventure, ohh and to play pool in the same building
I have to say that I am having a great time in OZ and although the kids are bored with the beaches I am sure that I will miss being able to go to places and have peace and quiet. The only problem that I have found with the beaches in Melbourne is that there is nothing there! After doing the whole sand castles thing and a few dips in the sea it's time for the hour drive home through suburban hell.
Where are the promenade's selling candy etc
Even though I do also love the parks and lakes that Melb has plenty of, I am starting to feel very lonely without family to share it with.
I am looking forward to heading back to the UK with a fresh pair of eyes and enjoying the natural beauty of the place, it is there, and now that I have pulled myself out of the rut that we all get sucked into I intend to enjoy it.
Just save some of that nice weather for next summer won't you
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 4:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
So, say you were permanent residents and had a baby in Australia:
Do you promise, then, that you would not claim the $3000-$5000 that you would be entitled to as permanent residents.

Or the first time home buyers grant - which in VIC totalled about 13k....?

(I gladly accepted the assistance from the govt in respect of all these grants, but I also pay taxes and contribute.)
Old Jul 3rd 2006, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I wish I had your insight. Let's get rid of the NHS, but...hold on a minute...let's not stop there.

I don't use any state schools now, so let's get rid of those. And all unemployment benefit - lazy bastards. And all sickness benefits, I've never used them - obviously, the "sick" are all faking it. Which reminds me, whoever had the idea of building public hospitals? Waste of money, and they only have sick people in them anyway.

And we can redevelop the land used for cemetries. At the same time, let's get rid of the navy; it's not much use in Iraq. Oh, and let's sell off all the libraries and all the parks.

Last, but not least, I use rail to commute into town. So, let's get rid of all the roads; people only get killed on them anyway.

Now, just make sure that you don't make any claim on the Oz public system, or some - not me of course - might call you a hypocrite...

Steady on. I was simply stating how much we pay in NI as the post I was replying to had said they doubted a previous poster paid hundreds in NI contributions.

I never said I wish I paid less NI, or that we should get rid of anything. What I said was there seems to be little incentive to work hard and save hard as most of it will end up being be taken off you when you are old anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.