Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Old Jun 26th 2006, 2:56 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone moved back and NOT regretted it?!

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There are cases of leaning over backwards to promote women in the owrkplace because that is the pc thing to do. You can't take age into account when employing someone, nor can you discriminate becuase of sexuality, pregnancy etc etc.

Same brown stuff, different bucket.

What you appear to be objecting to all seem very worthwhile to me...
Old Jun 26th 2006, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

What you appear to be objecting to all seem very worthwhile to me...
Like promoting on the basis of gender rather than merit?
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
The difference is we won't be sponging off ANYONE, we will pay our own way, we will NOT be given houses and food tokens.
Well good for you. There's a lot of people who will emigrate to Oz and take up the offer of rent assistance for new arrivals (even if they're taking $100k with them) , first home owner grants (even if they've just sold a house in the UK), and ask questions like "should I tell the Child Benefit Office that I've left the UK?" They all justify it one way or another, saying things like they'll take it if it's on offer because it must be legal, or that it cost them and arm and a leg in visa application fees, or that they'll pay so much in Aussie tax that they deserve something back from the govt.

I'm not saying that it's wrong or right to take things like the FHOG, but it seems some people lose sight of what they object to when the $$$ are waved in front of their own eyes.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karen135
We are emigrating to Oz in 6 weeks to get away from certain areas of PC but Oz has its own problems also that have been highlighted. I dont want to bring up my kids in the UK anymore because of PC they can't sing Bah bah blacksheep anymore it's not PC what a load of crap it designed to protect a minority( i know a firm in the uk banned xmas cards in case it upset the other faiths) I think alot of Britian is feed up with how many immigrants are coming in and being protected.I would say Oz is the same but the last cenus in Oz was 38% Australian and 36% British says alot to me and there are places in Oz called little Britain.Don't get me wrong Oz might not be for us but the Britsh way of life at the moment has disillisioned me.FED UP with life in UK

Just my view not meant to offend
I'm reading this as you are moving to Oz to live in a little Britain...you may be in for a shock there. From reading these forums its exactly the people that move to Oz looking for another Britain that are shocked when it is infact very Australian.. The sooner you accept that Australia is a country with its own identity and that you will be the immigrant the sooner you will settle in.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

telelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of lighttelelynx is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Well good for you. There's a lot of people who will emigrate to Oz and take up the offer of rent assistance for new arrivals (even if they're taking $100k with them) , first home owner grants (even if they've just sold a house in the UK), and ask questions like "should I tell the Child Benefit Office that I've left the UK?" They all justify it one way or another, saying things like they'll take it if it's on offer because it must be legal, or that it cost them and arm and a leg in visa application fees, or that they'll pay so much in Aussie tax that they deserve something back from the govt.

I'm not saying that it's wrong or right to take things like the FHOG, but it seems some people lose sight of what they object to when the $$$ are waved in front of their own eyes.
I forgot about the FHOG when I came over as I had to apply to the FIRB, do you think I missed out? Anyway I'm supporting Australia in the soccer!!! 2nd half is starting

Last edited by telelynx; Jun 26th 2006 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 7:51 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

We are emigrating to Oz in 6 weeks to get away from certain areas of PC but Oz has its own problems also that have been highlighted. I dont want to bring up my kids in the UK anymore because of PC they can't sing Bah bah blacksheep anymore it's not PC what a load of crap it designed to protect a minority( I know a firm in the uk banned xmas cards in case it upset the other faiths) I think alot of Britian is feed up with how many immigrants are coming in and being protected.I would say Oz is the same but the last cenus in Oz was 38% Australian and 36% British says alot to me and there are places in Oz called little Britain.Don't get me wrong Oz might not be for us but the Britsh way of life at the moment has disillisioned me.FED UP with life in UK

I suspect a lot of the PC stuff you complain about doesn't affect you at all on a day to day business (except the baa baa black sheep part.... how will our kids manage now? )
Is it really worth moving to the other side of the world just to get away from a few irritations? Believe me, once you move to another country, your whole life is affected and is drastically changed. You'll have more than a few irritations at the beginning and there will be things about the British way of life you never dreamt you'd miss. You're putting yourself through all that because 1 firm in the UK banned christmas cards??

Last edited by ladyofthelake; Jun 26th 2006 at 7:54 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:14 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

We are emigrating to Oz in 6 weeks to get away from certain areas of PC but Oz has its own problems also that have been highlighted. I dont want to bring up my kids in the UK anymore because of PC they can't sing Bah bah blacksheep anymore it's not PC what a load of crap it designed to protect a minority( i know a firm in the uk banned xmas cards in case it upset the other faiths) I think alot of Britian is feed up with how many immigrants are coming in and being protected.I would say Oz is the same but the last cenus in Oz was 38% Australian and 36% British says alot to me and there are places in Oz called little Britain.Don't get me wrong Oz might not be for us but the Britsh way of life at the moment has disillisioned me.FED UP with life in UK

Nowt like the media to make a mountain of a molehill! This was TWO nurseries that chose to sing bah black/white/green/blue/happy/sad etc sheep http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4782856.stm. As for xmas (Christmas?) cards, you'll find the same in Australia, America, and Canada, etc., whose card shops are full of 'Season's Greetings' cards, as well as 'Happy Christmas' cards. You'll also find plenty of 'Tonday Tonight' type programmes with many features on 'Has political correctness gone mad in Australia?'. Unless this issue really affects your day to day life, don't sweat the small stuff. If these are your reasons, my bet is you'll be back from Oz, or anywhere else, within a few months.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 8:26 pm

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly
The difference is we won't be sponging off ANYONE, we will pay our own way, we will NOT be given houses and food tokens.
So, say you were permanent residents and had a baby in Australia:
Do you promise, then, that you would not claim the $3000-$5000 that you would be entitled to as permanent residents.
Old Jun 26th 2006, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=ladyofthelake]I suspect a lot of the PC stuff you complain about doesn't affect you at all on a day to day business (except the baa baa black sheep part.... how will our kids manage now? )

God I miss singing that song
Old Jun 27th 2006, 4:59 am
Forum Regular

goldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to allgoldcoastblue is a name known to all

Unfortuntately the baggers wont like it, but we have the best press/media in the world, Uk that is, we can spell and grammarise correctly by the way.

It is all run on sensationalism, for the general public.

There is no hiding here, and we love to publicise everything, good or bad.
Old Jun 27th 2006, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

jugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud ofjugsy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by northernbird
I am not going to get into a slanging match with you, everyone on this site knows your feelings. I agree Australia doesn't particularly have an identity. What it does have is a nation of people who are proud to be australian and a people who are not frightened to tell people who don't like their culture (or lack of ) and behaviour exactly where to poke it. I have seen so many stories over the years of people being told they can't fly a flag, celebrate Christmas etc etc that I have become quite disillusioned with being English. I am not saying England is crap, it isn't. It just isn't the place I want to live, Australia is. Why people just can't admit Australia isn't for them instead of slagging it off is beyond me.
There are flags everywhere at the moment. Lots of people proudly flying the george cross. It's been reclaimed from the fascists. Also those few inner city councils that tried to ban Christmas have found that people won't stand for it.
you're right that there were some loony left idea's but we british won't let our culture be taken from us that easily! However part of our culture is and always has been to accept people from other countries and cultures. Immigration is not a new phenomenon.

Last edited by jugsy; Jun 27th 2006 at 9:47 am. Reason: add more
Old Jun 27th 2006, 11:15 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jugsy
There are flags everywhere at the moment. Lots of people proudly flying the george cross. It's been reclaimed from the fascists. Also those few inner city councils that tried to ban Christmas have found that people won't stand for it.
you're right that there were some loony left idea's but we british won't let our culture be taken from us that easily! However part of our culture is and always has been to accept people from other countries and cultures. Immigration is not a new phenomenon.
I am glad to hear it about the flags.

Also as an English (not british!) woman I have no problem with accepting people from other countries and cultures, I am an immigrant myself who wouldn't be very happy if the Australians hadn't accepted me. What I want them to do is give our country the respect it deserves and integrate. You can still maintain your own customs and beliefs in a foreign country you just have to respect those of the country you have adopted as your new home.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Also as an English (not british!) woman I have no problem with accepting people from other countries and cultures, I am an immigrant myself who wouldn't be very happy if the Australians hadn't accepted me. What I want them to do is give our country the respect it deserves and integrate. You can still maintain your own customs and beliefs in a foreign country you just have to respect those of the country you have adopted as your new home.
I'm sure the vast majority of migrants into the UK do embrace their new country and integrate with the 'locals'. There will always be those that prefer to create a little homeland in their new country, however. Australia is no different in that respect - there are areas where immigrants flock together and don't integrate - just look at some of the heavily populated immigrant areas, where many people still don't speak English, even after several years in Australia, and there is a distinct 'them and us' culture. This isn't always the fault of the immigrants either. Look at how the social policies of the 1970s created, for example, the Lebanese suburbs of Sydney - supposedly for the good of the migrant families, but the outcome has often been less than favourable.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
So, say you were permanent residents and had a baby in Australia:
Do you promise, then, that you would not claim the $3000-$5000 that you would be entitled to as permanent residents.

couldn't, so wouldn't apply to us.........next
Old Jun 29th 2006, 6:28 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Does the above mean your statement below from a couple of weeks ago doesn't now stand? (Canada I say goodbye thread)

"What a pile of plop! I wish foreigners were treated like second class citizens in the UK, maybe then the British folk who inhabit the country would be aloud to be British!"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.