Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:18 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

good luck midgetjan ! hope the move home to Scotland goes smoothly. Sounds like you've gone through a pretty rough patch, surely there will be some greener pastures just around the corner.

cheers !

Last edited by asprilla; Dec 1st 2009 at 1:30 am.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Quick update:

All well this end. I'm freezing cold but enjoying the shopping and spending time with all my kids.

We decided against staying in the caravan, as it was not really suitable. We are currently living in a furnished, rented flat beside the beach. It's not our first choice but it will do until we are sorted with jobs etc.

Son has picked up and is speaking of applying to be a fireman. It's nice to see a glimmer in him at last and he even sounds excited.

OH is like his old self and has regained a bit of self respect. It's great to see.

I'm trying to get into a healthy eating regime as everyone is telling me how fat I've become. (Like I didn't notice ) I'm having my hair done tomorrow by my favourite stylist and I can't wait to feel like myself again. My whiplash has been giving me a lot of bother since I returned to the cold but if I can survive winter I'm sure I'll be fine.

It's lovely to see the Christmas lights glimmering in the dark frosty evenings and boy have we had frost. -7 degrees last night. The car was covered in thick white frost this morning when I looked out of the window, so I pulled the duvet back up and stayed in bed a while longer.

Caught up with an old friend this afternoon and it was great to be really welcomed back.

Will post a longer update when I have more time, just wanted you to know that I was still making mischief....
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Quick update:

All well this end. I'm freezing cold but enjoying the shopping and spending time with all my kids.

We decided against staying in the caravan, as it was not really suitable. We are currently living in a furnished, rented flat beside the beach. It's not our first choice but it will do until we are sorted with jobs etc.

Son has picked up and is speaking of applying to be a fireman. It's nice to see a glimmer in him at last and he even sounds excited.

OH is like his old self and has regained a bit of self respect. It's great to see.

I'm trying to get into a healthy eating regime as everyone is telling me how fat I've become. (Like I didn't notice ) I'm having my hair done tomorrow by my favourite stylist and I can't wait to feel like myself again. My whiplash has been giving me a lot of bother since I returned to the cold but if I can survive winter I'm sure I'll be fine.

It's lovely to see the Christmas lights glimmering in the dark frosty evenings and boy have we had frost. -7 degrees last night. The car was covered in thick white frost this morning when I looked out of the window, so I pulled the duvet back up and stayed in bed a while longer.

Caught up with an old friend this afternoon and it was great to be really welcomed back.

Will post a longer update when I have more time, just wanted you to know that I was still making mischief....
this is all sounding fab - you cant beat the feeling of being with true friends and people who love you warts and all (not that i am saying you have warts ) - i cant wait until its my turn - early next year. all the best and i hope things continue to go well with you all.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

overthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Quick update:

Sounds like its all good!! Typical about people saying you have gained weight when we went back for a visit my OH was told that by loads of people the funny thing is they weren't exactly slim jims there-self!!

Enjoy your Xmas in Aberdeen
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

We also are leaving Perth in about 2 weeks headed for UK,been over in Perth now for 4 years and never truly settled into the way of life,my hubby says he feels like he,s been retired for the last 4 years and cant wait to get back home,most of the friends we have made over here are all brits and over the past 4 years have said goodbye to nearly half of them(all grown tired and BORED).Speaking for myself i wanted to move back home after a couple of months ......We fly out on xmas eve and will never return to Australia again,has been an expensive adventure 1 might say.....but at least we can say we did it.Hope your move goes well and enjoy.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:30 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
We also are leaving Perth in about 2 weeks headed for UK,been over in Perth now for 4 years and never truly settled into the way of life,my hubby says he feels like he,s been retired for the last 4 years and cant wait to get back home,most of the friends we have made over here are all brits and over the past 4 years have said goodbye to nearly half of them(all grown tired and BORED).Speaking for myself i wanted to move back home after a couple of months ......We fly out on xmas eve and will never return to Australia again,has been an expensive adventure 1 might say.....but at least we can say we did it.Hope your move goes well and enjoy.
Seems that those who emigrate to OZ, the ones that go to Perth struggle more and leave. Just something about that place that just isn't quite right....yet!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

woodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to allwoodiesinaus is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Seems that those who emigrate to OZ, the ones that go to Perth struggle more and leave. Just something about that place that just isn't quite right....yet!
What is it that draws Poms to Perth? We had the choice of living anywhere in Aus but the first place we discounted was Perth, purely down to the high % of Poms that leave after a couple of years.
I have never been to the place so I'm just curious, why
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
My thoughts exactly....... and thank you for the good wishes. Best of luck to you on your return home.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:02 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Perth is the ass end of the earth - its poo poo! I lived in Melly and LOVED it, here I feel I am just merely 'existing' I wish I could go back to UK, or even Melly would be better than here, but I am stuck here for now. The only thing Perth has to offer is Sunshine, and honestly you DO get bored of that after a couple of years! And I never thought I would ever here myself saying that.

I keep seeing the exchange rate and dreaming of moving back to UK and buying a gorgeous house with the money we would be able to take back - we would come back in a much better position than what we left in!

Living in Perth really has made me realise whats important to me in my life, I really can't understand why people are still coming here - There's NOTHING here!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:07 pm

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
What is it that draws Poms to Perth? We had the choice of living anywhere in Aus but the first place we discounted was Perth, purely down to the high % of Poms that leave after a couple of years.
Cos its like living in the 70's, its all closed up, nothing open after 5pm and nothing open on Sundays, Public transport sucks and you can't get a taxi anywhere, its expensive, the beaches are gorgeous but windy as hell, no choice for shops, not many eateries like Melbourne, all people do is have 'family' over and when you dont have any family here, its a bit difficult for you to partake in that activity, its full of yobs and taggers and idiots burning out cars and hooning around, oh and drunk drivers. Its also VERY expensive here - Oh and the food sucks too, its all rotton cos they ship it from NSW, so its days old before it gets on the shop shelf! The list goes on..................... there r no street lights either Its a very strange place!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:08 pm

Oh an no one does anything, tradies dont show and no one seems to want your business or want to do any work - takes forever to get anything done around here. I am so lazy myself now, cant even be bothered to clean my house
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

I used to take the piss out of the ozzies for going to bed so early over in Perth,but after being here for 4 years ,i can truly understand,,,,there is nothing to do,glad to be moving back to the land of the living once more(UK)Feel as though i,m stuck in a time warp back to the 70,s,just so blinkered in Perth,need to spend more on infrastructure ,have late night shopping,daylight saving,sunday shopping,etc,etc.and then maybe just maybe it might make life a bit more interesting over here.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

overthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to alloverthemoon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by woodiesinaus
We started off in Melbourne then came to Perth i do miss certain things about Melbourne its a lot more upbeat than Perth but the work situation is much better here in Perth for my OH he's doing well here.

Perth is behind the times but after 4 years here im just starting to feel settled got use to the way of life i suppose & there is far worse places i could be living than Perth so i just make the best of it
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 1:36 am

lol yep we are tucked up in bed here at 9.30pm - even on a Weekend night lol! We cant even do stuff with our friends as they all have kids and have to be home by 7pm as kids have to go to bed I am sure we had friends in UK with kids and people still went out - but suppose there is nothing to do anyway.

I dragged my mates out to Joondalup on a night out - all be it - it was a Tuesday night, but all the pubs were closed at 10pm and the one that was open was dead apart from some blokes who were beating each other up and so they chucked everyone out and closed up and we were left outside with these idiots smashing the cr@p out of each other!
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
Cos its like living in the 70's, its all closed up, nothing open after 5pm and nothing open on Sundays, Public transport sucks and you can't get a taxi anywhere, its expensive, the beaches are gorgeous but windy as hell, no choice for shops, not many eateries like Melbourne, all people do is have 'family' over and when you dont have any family here, its a bit difficult for you to partake in that activity, its full of yobs and taggers and idiots burning out cars and hooning around, oh and drunk drivers. Its also VERY expensive here - Oh and the food sucks too, its all rotton cos they ship it from NSW, so its days old before it gets on the shop shelf! The list goes on..................... there r no street lights either Its a very strange place!
echoes my thoughts completely. I find the weather more restrictive here than i did in england - the rain this year has lasted forever and its always bloody blowing a gale!! I thought we'd be out the back garden all the time but even when its nice, we're in the house by 730pm as the mozzies kill us after dark.

the fruit and veg was also a huge disppointment - its rotten, bashed and going off by the time you buy it! what is it with the brown ringed ice berg lettuce - you have to throw 3 quarters of it in the bin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.