Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:00 am
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
lol yep we are tucked up in bed here at 9.30pm - even on a Weekend night lol! We cant even do stuff with our friends as they all have kids and have to be home by 7pm as kids have to go to bed I am sure we had friends in UK with kids and people still went out - but suppose there is nothing to do anyway.

I dragged my mates out to Joondalup on a night out - all be it - it was a Tuesday night, but all the pubs were closed at 10pm and the one that was open was dead apart from some blokes who were beating each other up and so they chucked everyone out and closed up and we were left outside with these idiots smashing the cr@p out of each other!
been there done that - lets go for a drink after work said I one Wednesday as we were celebrating a collegues promotion- cue blank stares all round - but off we went - by 8pm we were the only ones there and this was in Perth CBD. its just so dull and nothingy.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:10 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Seems that those who emigrate to OZ, the ones that go to Perth struggle more and leave. Just something about that place that just isn't quite right....yet!
Yes it seems just about everyone who does'nt like OZ and moves back to the UK is from Perth, maybe the eastern states are better with alot more people maybe its seems less isolated over there. MAybe everyone immigrating to Perth should buy a return ticket.
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
We also are leaving Perth in about 2 weeks headed for UK,been over in Perth now for 4 years and never truly settled into the way of life,my hubby says he feels like he,s been retired for the last 4 years and cant wait to get back home,most of the friends we have made over here are all brits and over the past 4 years have said goodbye to nearly half of them(all grown tired and BORED).Speaking for myself i wanted to move back home after a couple of months ......We fly out on xmas eve and will never return to Australia again,has been an expensive adventure 1 might say.....but at least we can say we did it.Hope your move goes well and enjoy.
What a lovely Christmas present.....we live in Perth and have just spent a week with my Oh going around the "things you can do" in Perth...and although they are nice...ish....after all these years living here it starts to make you feel so closed in..and you can only go so many times to the same places before that gets boring......
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Think I can manage more than one rowie for you.

Thanks for the good wishes
Jan hang in there weather wise.......Spring will be here before you know it....it's going to be 37 this weekend here in Perth..not what you might want to hear but remember it gets that hot you cannot go outside...sleepless nights because it's just toooo hot (even after all these years here we cannot sleep with the air con on..lol)....no sooner are you out of the shower than you are back in beacuse your just as wet..lol....and these dark summer nights...horrible...cooler...just...but it's summer and people are in doors (well at least where we live) and judging by when I walk our dog at night..no lights inside the homes and people in bed!!!!!!!!!.....
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:06 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

yep 37 degrees - too hot to walk my dogs, too hot to clean the house, too hot to go anywhere, another boring weekend just sitting in my spa doing nothing and going out of my mind lol!

And yes Perth seems great when you come for a holiday, but yea after living here and doing the same thing over and over its SOOOO boring, you just get sick of going to Hillary's, beach. At least the shops are open this Sunday, mind you the shops are crap too - I was trying to find some new tops yesterday and they are all cheap looking crappy clothes from the 70's nothing original here - if I wear them, then my guests will think I am going to a 70's party, so I will continue wearing my UK clothes which are 7 years old and starting to look worn. Why can't UK Retailers have shops here??? Actually the clothes in shops are like clothes you would find in the salvos!

In reply to Eastern states being better - yes they so much are, which I had stayed in Melbourne, never got bored there!

Last edited by lauralollipop; Dec 4th 2009 at 12:09 am.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

I used to have more fun on my 2 weeks jollys in spain,than 1 full year in Perth.
In a nutshell Perth is a S*#THOLE!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mcmorrow1
I used to have more fun on my 2 weeks jollys in spain,than 1 full year in Perth.
In a nutshell Perth is a S*#THOLE!
lol.....my Oh can beat that...he said he had more fun on an easter weekend break in Blackpool than he has had in 1 year in Perth!!!.....
Old Dec 4th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mohogony
Yes it seems just about everyone who does'nt like OZ and moves back to the UK is from Perth, maybe the eastern states are better with alot more people maybe its seems less isolated over there. MAybe everyone immigrating to Perth should buy a return ticket.
A friend has just returned from a "lets see what life can offer us in Melbourne" holiday....and although they said...there is a lot more on offer in the city and suburbs close to the City than Perth, it's just as expensive to live near the City if not more so and really it's just the same old same old in areas you can afford to live in with the same Aussie mentality oh and the weather was up and down while they were there...........
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:25 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
A friend has just returned from a "lets see what life can offer us in Melbourne" holiday....and although they said...there is a lot more on offer in the city and suburbs close to the City than Perth, it's just as expensive to live near the City if not more so and really it's just the same old same old in areas you can afford to live in with the same Aussie mentality oh and the weather was up and down while they were there...........
I think its funny cos when we lived in Melly, Everyone who came to Melly from Perth moans and says that they couldnt live there or dont like the weather, but if they actually tried living there, they would see what it has to offer (which is alot more than Perth). I think that you can't really knock a place till you have tried it, think you have to live there for 2 years to get a true picture of it. I had so much fun when I lived East and had to regularly pinch myself as I was really living the dream. And now I am in dullesville

I have lived in Perth for 3 years so I feel I am entitled to totally slate it, and enjoy doing so, as grumbling about the place makes me feel better some how that I am not the only person who thinks its shallow here, cos I don't think I would dare say it outside of this forum as the Perth people who love it here will beat me with a stick
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lauralollipop
I think its funny cos when we lived in Melly, Everyone who came to Melly from Perth moans and says that they couldnt live there or dont like the weather, but if they actually tried living there, they would see what it has to offer (which is alot more than Perth). I think that you can't really knock a place till you have tried it, think you have to live there for 2 years to get a true picture of it. I had so much fun when I lived East and had to regularly pinch myself as I was really living the dream. And now I am in dullesville

I have lived in Perth for 3 years so I feel I am entitled to totally slate it, and enjoy doing so, as grumbling about the place makes me feel better some how that I am not the only person who thinks its shallow here, cos I don't think I would dare say it outside of this forum as the Perth people who love it here will beat me with a stick
I really just get on with what Perth has to offer...not a lot I know for some and I grumble now and again to just my husband lol....it's friends here who claim to love Perth and moan all the time but do nothing about it...I do think though that some people can get a "feel" for a place quite quickly and know in their own minds what will work for them and for others it can take days, months even years to come to the conclusion a place etc does not work for them for whatever reasons....over the years I have met people here in Aus who for some have stayed weeks.....months or years and have then left to return overseas and also a few who love life here...I suppose you just have to do what you think is best for yourself when and if that time comes....for us at the moment next April can now not come soon enough,we did think we would try and enjoy our last few months in Aus but really enough is enough and we are just ready to go home....
Old Dec 6th 2009, 7:12 pm
shoot from the hip,baby

onepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond reputeonepearlyb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Quick update:

All well this end. I'm freezing cold but enjoying the shopping and spending time with all my kids.

We decided against staying in the caravan, as it was not really suitable. We are currently living in a furnished, rented flat beside the beach. It's not our first choice but it will do until we are sorted with jobs etc.

Son has picked up and is speaking of applying to be a fireman. It's nice to see a glimmer in him at last and he even sounds excited.

OH is like his old self and has regained a bit of self respect. It's great to see.

I'm trying to get into a healthy eating regime as everyone is telling me how fat I've become. (Like I didn't notice ) I'm having my hair done tomorrow by my favourite stylist and I can't wait to feel like myself again. My whiplash has been giving me a lot of bother since I returned to the cold but if I can survive winter I'm sure I'll be fine.

It's lovely to see the Christmas lights glimmering in the dark frosty evenings and boy have we had frost. -7 degrees last night. The car was covered in thick white frost this morning when I looked out of the window, so I pulled the duvet back up and stayed in bed a while longer.

Caught up with an old friend this afternoon and it was great to be really welcomed back.

Will post a longer update when I have more time, just wanted you to know that I was still making mischief....
Hi MJ,

Welcome back mate. We are LOVING being back - especially as it's a great time of year. We got back here in Feb. We fell on our feet quite quickly - as if it was all meant to be, and we haven't looked back since.
I'd hate to be out in oz for another lonely,non-traditional christmas. Was thinking today what I'd be doing if we were still out there - same old shopping mall, no real christmas feel to the time of year and a boring christmas day mainly spent thinking about everyone back home-wishing we were with them!
So we're very happy to be at home now with the christmas lights twinkling in the windows, the shops all done up, great TV, candles lit, mulled wine, nights out, all things wintery, the xmas tree up and even the cold but sunny winter days! LOVE IT!

Good choice of year to return.
*pearly*
( I'm from Hamilton near Glasgow but we moved back from Melbourne to York, for a whole new start )
Old Dec 7th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by onepearlyb
Hi MJ,

Welcome back mate. We are LOVING being back - especially as it's a great time of year. We got back here in Feb. We fell on our feet quite quickly - as if it was all meant to be, and we haven't looked back since.
I'd hate to be out in oz for another lonely,non-traditional christmas. Was thinking today what I'd be doing if we were still out there - same old shopping mall, no real christmas feel to the time of year and a boring christmas day mainly spent thinking about everyone back home-wishing we were with them!
So we're very happy to be at home now with the christmas lights twinkling in the windows, the shops all done up, great TV, candles lit, mulled wine, nights out, all things wintery, the xmas tree up and even the cold but sunny winter days! LOVE IT!

*pearly*
( I'm from Hamilton near Glasgow but we moved back from Melbourne to York, for a whole new start )
Lovely to hear your happy and settled "back home" I had to laugh (not really could of cried..lol) when I read your comment "no real Christmas feel..." it was 37 yesterday here in Perth....even with the aircon on at home it was still way to hot....flicked around the channels on t.v. and fox....and nothing at all Christmassy on....so I went off to the local shopping centre hoping to be in the throng...of "Christmas Atmosphere and Cheer"....alas came home even more fed up...the centre did not have Christmas music on..only two shops I went in had christmas songs playing and the centre was very,very quiet...there was going to be a carols by candlelight concert in the local park near the shopping centre later on that evening but we have done that so many times and although nice it is just not the same with the heat etc,we cannot wait to be back home for Christmas next year...
Have a lovely Christmas and the best of wishes for the New Year and thanks Pearly for the update...it's always nice to hear good things about "home"...
Old Dec 7th 2009, 1:57 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi MJ,

*pearl

good to hear from you pearl, glad its all going well, have a great xmas and a drunk new year
Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

mcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to allmcmorrow1 is a name known to all

We are flying out now from Perth on Xmas day landing at Manchester on Boxing Day ,so will celebrate Xmas big style then.......have 4 Xmas,s to catch up on...ssooooooooooooo looking fordward to getting the hell out of this country.Hope you have a good Xmas,have a drink for me.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MJ,

*pearly*
Hi Pearly,

Really glad to hear you so happy!! Can't wait till I can do Christmas back home again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.