Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Old Nov 4th 2009, 12:59 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Originally Posted by midgetjan
We were just saying this the other day - we had a more outdoor lifestyle in Scotland. (for all the above reasons)

Agree cocoa butter is awesome, as is Bio Oil - my physiotherapist says I have beautiful skin for my age.
what does bio oil do? Is it like cocoa butter?
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Bio oil is great for stretch marks, uneven skin tone and dry skin. (Also a great massage oil )
Old Nov 5th 2009, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Hi Jan - I've been reading your posts for about a year and a half now. It sounds like you've really had a rough time of it but you've given it your best shot.

I'm glad you've decided to go home - it really does sound like it's the right decision for your family. Hope you have a safe and trouble free return. Take care.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the good wishes.....

I'm currently trying to finish up with my last couple of days in the job and getting stressed out by useless ignorant Estate Agents (and this is my one I may add).

So far we've had at least 4 different settlement dates and I'm ready to pop a cork. I've given up messing around with shipping dates - have booked them and EA will just have to wear it.

Here's a quote from my ever so friendly EA's email today:

Hi Jan, I phoned Felicity to let her know that your packers won’t be in until 10th & 11th & moving on the 12th, She wanted to know why they can’t pack it into the container straight away and get it out before the 12th ? Have you spoken to your settlement agents re this??

...... and my extremely polite reply:

I organised the shippers to come as soon as possible. Monday 9th was fully booked and they said they could do 10th and 11th. I was happy with this and confirmed the details with them. They then called me back and said they didn't have a container free to load until the Thursday. I expressed that we needed the house emptied before midday.

I am doing my best to fit in with everyone's plans here and would be obliged if you could stop harassing me as it is an extremely distressing time. Please bear in mind that our original settlement date, which Ken gave me in writing was 16th November and you and Steve have given me various other dates from 3rd Nov to the 10th to the 12th. (with 3 days grace)

We are currently sitting in a half empty house and would like nothing better than to settle as soon as possible but unfortunately I can't load or move a shipping container until the company have one ready.

I know you are trying to keep the buyer happy but please remember you are supposed to be acting on our behalf, as we are the ones paying (insert company name here) fees - not Felicity.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Excellent reply Jan, well done for staying so calm.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by midgetjan
Thanks for the good wishes.....

I'm currently trying to finish up with my last couple of days in the job and getting stressed out by useless ignorant Estate Agents (and this is my one I may add).

So far we've had at least 4 different settlement dates and I'm ready to pop a cork. I've given up messing around with shipping dates - have booked them and EA will just have to wear it.

Here's a quote from my ever so friendly EA's email today:

Hi Jan, I phoned Felicity to let her know that your packers won’t be in until 10th & 11th & moving on the 12th, She wanted to know why they can’t pack it into the container straight away and get it out before the 12th ? Have you spoken to your settlement agents re this??

...... and my extremely polite reply:

I organised the shippers to come as soon as possible. Monday 9th was fully booked and they said they could do 10th and 11th. I was happy with this and confirmed the details with them. They then called me back and said they didn't have a container free to load until the Thursday. I expressed that we needed the house emptied before midday.

I am doing my best to fit in with everyone's plans here and would be obliged if you could stop harassing me as it is an extremely distressing time. Please bear in mind that our original settlement date, which Ken gave me in writing was 16th November and you and Steve have given me various other dates from 3rd Nov to the 10th to the 12th. (with 3 days grace)

We are currently sitting in a half empty house and would like nothing better than to settle as soon as possible but unfortunately I can't load or move a shipping container until the company have one ready.

I know you are trying to keep the buyer happy but please remember you are supposed to be acting on our behalf, as we are the ones paying (insert company name here) fees - not Felicity.
Hi Jan

Our agent (the 3rd one we had used to sell our home!!) was a nice chap but like you when it came to a settlement date it was changed so many times by the buyer it became a joke...I asked our removal company (who we have used many times and are great) to stop writing dates for our move in pen and to use pencil instead....I can laugh now but the stress was horrible I also felt like we were fitting in with the buyer with great pressure from our agent who was supposed to be working for us...when you are "back home" it will be like a distant bad dream....all the best.....
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the continued good wishes.

Hope I have topped up all your karmas.

Anyway glad today is almost done. After all the hassle from EA earlier - the day just continued to get better.

I'm sitting safely in my bed (on the laptop) as my hubby sold our lounge suites (which I was very happy about as it means I get to shop again once we get a new house) and I have nothing to sit on but my bed. But I'm under the sheet with a large glass of red wine to unwind.

For anyone who doesn't really know me - I'm a field officer looking after construction apprentices. (something I did in UK for CITB before moving to the WA govt position here). I love my job and have always taken great pleasure in helping youngsters achieve trade standard.

Today I had the unfortunate task of delivering a posthumous trade certificate to the parents of a 19 year old apprentice who died of a very aggressive form of cancer. (makes my problems pale in comparison). They were delighted with the framed trade certificate and accepted it very graciously. My heart was melting as I told them how lucky they were to have had such a lovely son.

I left their home all teary eyed and thankful that my life was blessed with my family. Driving home in tea time traffic all I could think of was to get home and unwind. Yep you guessed it Mr Multinova caught me bonnie and lit up my life. No one to blame but myself but I guess when I hand back my company car tomorrow on my last day in the job I'll be leaving the government with more than memories ......

Now where's that wine glass?????
Old Nov 5th 2009, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

OMG, what a roller coaster of a day you've had. What a difficult thing to have to do in your last week at work. Hearing a story like that brings home how blessed we really are.

Enjoy your glass of wine, sounds like you deserve it, and look forward to the time when that plane begins it descent down to Scotland.
Old Nov 5th 2009, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm already on countdown........ 2 weeks today and we'll be on that plane
Old Nov 16th 2009, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

carolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nicecarolwilk34 is just really nice

Just wanted to post and say that I hope you are very happy back in Scotland. We have been back now in Wemyss Bay for a year after being in Perth for 2 years. I can honestly say that I see it with a different set of specs! Good luck. xx
Old Nov 17th 2009, 9:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Don’t you leave tomorrow?

You must be so excited and counting the hours and minutes by now! And you’re going to be home just in time for the whole Christmas, with that actual Christmas feeling in the air.

Good luck and all the best
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

Relocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud ofRelocateme has much to be proud of

Midgetjan and KingKong.....All the very best to each of you on your respective journies home...keep in touch wont you and let us know how it is on your arrival...really interested and for all those of us who are waiting to escape!....safe flight guys and happy landings!
Old Nov 21st 2009, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Okay - here goes - quick(ish) update.

Been offline for a while as after the house sold we moved into temporary accommodation with no internet. Thank heavens for McDonalds wifi - at least I could check my emails.

Left Perth on Thursday afternoon - no big deal as it was rainy and dull. Arrived at the airport and checked in. Think we got the most sour faced moaning bitch on the check in desk. She was reluctant to book our luggage all the way through to Aberdeen as we had booked on 2 separate tickets. One ticket through Singapore Air to London and then a direct flight with BA from London to Aberdeen. Didn't do it deliberately but just couldn't get SA to book us straight through to Aberdeen. - Eventually she checked the luggage all the way through.

Went to the Dome cafe for a coffee and a sandwich as we had skipped lunch on the way to the airport. I bit into my cheese, ham and tomato toastie and the tomato fell out on to my white t shirt. Nice start to the journey

I bought 2 bottles of whisky from the duty free, which we carried on board the flight with no problems. Flight was pleasant enough with a little bit of turbulence (this lead to another spill on the white t shirt - red wine no less). Arrived at Singapore on time with my t shirt looking like I'd been painting with a toddler. Went through customs where they confiscated my whisky as they said it hadn't been properly sealed in Perth

Got to the departure lounge where they announced there were problems with the plane and our flight would be delayed. Over an hour later we got on our way - arriving at London five minutes after our Aberdeen flight had left. 2 hours later (after been given the run around by airport staff who were trying to decide who was responsible for our missed flight) we were back at the BA desk. All our luggage was lost as the bitch from Perth had labelled it for BMI instead of BA. The woman at the desk then told me as I had booked on 2 tickets that SA were not liable to ensure I made my second flight and therefore if I wanted to fly to Aberdeen that day I would have to book and pay for new flights. Exhausted, I said okay then just book them. Almost died when she told me the one way flight to Aberdeen was going to cost us £190 each The original tickets had cost us £166 for 3 of us. Felt totally ripped off but just wanted "home".

Finally arrived in Aberdeen to 13 degrees and sunshine at 2pm Friday, - 32 hours after checking in at Perth. Delighted to discover they had found our luggage and it was there waiting for us..... Desperately hoped no one was there to meet us as I looked like I hadn't been showered for a week - and was still wearing the multi-stained t shirt...... was still delighted however to see one of our friends waiting with the biggest smile on his face.... priceless!

Picked up our hire car and drove to the Travelodge where we had our much longed for baths and showers. Travelodge is right beside Asda so I had to have a short(ish) shopping trip. LOVE IT LOVE IT - real shopping at bargain prices.

Were now starving so went to the chip shop - pie and chips - heaven.

Seen both of our daughters and had mega hugs - the best feeling in the world - No swimming pool or sunshine can compare to that feeling.

Exhausted we were in bed sleeping by 8.30pm. Wide awake at 4.15am and checking my 168 unread emails.

Now I need to start planning our future - job hunting - house hunting .......

We are so pleased to be home and can't wait to start living our life. No regrets as we now appreciate what is really important to us. We have no house and so far - no income but we slept soundly for the first time in ages.

Last edited by midgetjan; Nov 21st 2009 at 5:57 am.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

sparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud ofsparkling_gal has much to be proud of

Hi Jan - I was wondering how you were getting on. Glad you made it home - you must be so happy to be near your family again.

You were totally screwed on your flights though. If they'd let you book them right through to begin with, they'd have had to change your flights cos of the delay.

It's a bugger about the whisky but you can get better whisky in Scotland. I sometimes wonder if they confiscate these things so they can keep them.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Welcome Home Jan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.