British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/2-half-years-perth-im-going-home-637376/)

midgetjan Oct 25th 2009 2:53 am

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

After 2 and a half years in Perth we have decided to go home to Scotland.

Hubby and son wanted home after 6 months but we hung on to give it a fair go. We qualified for the citizenship after 2 years but have decided not to go for it. We just don't feel like we belong here, so what's the point having citizenship?

We've had loads of major ups and downs here - almost ending in divorce. Nothing prepares you for the turmoil if one of you settles and the rest of the family don't.

We've had family issues back in the UK - sister's hubby left her for another woman after 30 years together. She attempted suicide several times, which I'm sure accelerated mum's dementia. Dad had major heart surgery. Adopted brother conned elderly parents into selling him their house for a fraction of its value. Four of my uncles have died and 3 of our friends have also passed away.

We've missed both of our daughters who are still in Scotland.

We've tried really hard to settle here but hubby has struggled to get work (and we came here on his skills too). Son (16 when we arrived here) misses his friends and sisters and has become depressed.

We bought the beautiful 4x2 house with a pool overlooking a rural property with ponies etc but I liken my life to Will Smith in "I am Legend". What's the point of having nice things if you have no family and friends to share them with? I worked really hard and got a good job with the government, which has paid the bills - but there has to be more to life than this.

We didn't run away from anything in Scotland when we came here. We were lucky and had a good life. We just decided it was time for an adventure. Well I can't moan as we have certainly had an adventure.

We chose Perth as hubby had a cousin there. We bought a house in a suburb close to them and then they stopped speaking to us because we wouldn't buy the house they wanted us to have.

We have done all the touristy things and are now bored. I work long days and there isn't much time to do anything when I get home. My hubby hates the flies and the extreme heat in summer. I hate the long wet winters.

We will never regret coming here as it's taught us to be grateful for the things we do have.

We've had our Perth adventure and now we are looking forward to the next chapter, "return to reality, a Traditional family Christmas."

:D

king kong Oct 25th 2009 3:17 am

Re: 2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Originally Posted by midgetjan (Post 8042707)
After 2 and a half years in Perth we have decided to go home to Scotland.

Hubby and son wanted home after 6 months but we hung on to give it a fair go. We qualified for the citizenship after 2 years but have decided not to go for it. We just don't feel like we belong here, so what's the point having citizenship?

We've had loads of major ups and downs here - almost ending in divorce. Nothing prepares you for the turmoil if one of you settles and the rest of the family don't.

We've had family issues back in the UK - sister's hubby left her for another woman after 30 years together. She attempted suicide several times, which I'm sure accelerated mum's dementia. Dad had major heart surgery. Adopted brother conned elderly parents into selling him their house for a fraction of its value. Four of my uncles have died and 3 of our friends have also passed away.

We've missed both of our daughters who are still in Scotland.

We've tried really hard to settle here but hubby has struggled to get work (and we came here on his skills too). Son (16 when we arrived here) misses his friends and sisters and has become depressed.

We bought the beautiful 4x2 house with a pool overlooking a rural property with ponies etc but I liken my life to Will Smith in "I am Legend". What's the point of having nice things if you have no family and friends to share them with? I worked really hard and got a good job with the government, which has paid the bills - but there has to be more to life than this.

We didn't run away from anything in Scotland when we came here. We were lucky and had a good life. We just decided it was time for an adventure. Well I can't moan as we have certainly had an adventure.

We chose Perth as hubby had a cousin there. We bought a house in a suburb close to them and then they stopped speaking to us because we wouldn't buy the house they wanted us to have.

We have done all the touristy things and are now bored. I work long days and there isn't much time to do anything when I get home. My hubby hates the flies and the extreme heat in summer. I hate the long wet winters.

We will never regret coming here as it's taught us to be grateful for the things we do have.

We've had our Perth adventure and now we are looking forward to the next chapter, "return to reality, a Traditional family Christmas."

:D

youve had a rough trot ,your doing the right thing .youll be fine .:thumbsup:

Eastbound Oct 25th 2009 3:21 am

but I liken my life to Will Smith in "I am Legend". What's the point of having nice things if you have no family and friends to share it with

We have been in Canada for two and half years , just to say I really enjoyed reading your post and can relate to your Will Smith quote so much at the moment , just wanted to wish you all the best for your return to the UK

scaria197 Oct 25th 2009 4:59 am

midgetjan,

You have had a full of tough years in life. Life throws curves at you and you need to negotiate each-some are sharp, some are not, you make through some and not thru others. Each curve helps you to guide your abilities for the next one and you learn lessons.

We will keep you in our prayers. You are doing the right thing.

-scaria197

midgetjan Oct 25th 2009 5:17 am

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

One way flights booked to Aberdeen - leaving Perth on 19 November.

Shipping almost organised LOL.

Didn't post anything sooner as we didn't want to tell our daughters until house was unconditionally sold.

House now sold - notice in at work - then panic!!:eek:

You have no idea how lovely that big red SOLD sign outside looks. :thumbsup:

daunted Oct 25th 2009 5:38 am

have a safe trip back - sounds like you had your work cut out and given it all you got. Stay in touch every now and then xxx:thumbsup::wub:

king kong Oct 25th 2009 5:48 am

Originally Posted by midgetjan (Post 8042825)
Thanks to everyone for the good wishes.

One way flights booked to Aberdeen - leaving Perth on 19 November.

Shipping almost organised LOL.

Didn't post anything sooner as we didn't want to tell our daughters until house was unconditionally sold.

House now sold - notice in at work - then panic!!:eek:

You have no idea how lovely that big red SOLD sign outside looks. :thumbsup:

lucky git , your going one day before me , im escaping friday 20 at 4 30 pm :thumbup:

midgetjan Oct 25th 2009 5:55 am

Shame we could've shared a drink in the bar.

You flying with Malaysian?

We're going Singapore leaving 15.50 and arriving in Aberdeen on the 20th at 8.25am. So if my maths are right (taking into account the daylight savings change this weekend in UK) I arrive in Aberdeen 5 minutes before you take off :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Safe journey x

quoll Oct 25th 2009 5:59 am

Good luck MJ! I hope the next step in your life adventure is a lot happier than this one was!

I so agree - stuff is no substitute for belonging.

midgetjan Oct 25th 2009 6:02 am

Thank you quoll - I wish things were different for you and you could have your "happy ever after" too.

EnglishRose15 Oct 25th 2009 6:29 am

Good Luck!

You have certainly had some hardships, but it is good to see you are not bitter, it is easy to blame the place we are in when something goes wrong.
I am so pleased you sound so 'together' about your decision.
Let us all know how it goes back home.

midgetjan Oct 25th 2009 6:41 am

Ha ha thanks.

The way I see things:

If I had gone to the video shop and hired an adventure movie and it was all hearts, flowers and lovey dovey - I'd want a refund.

It's only an adventure if you have the lows to make you appreciate the highs.

I promised my hubby last year I would go back "home" but I am very level headed and did not want to sell our house at a loss. We waited until property prices lifted a bit and then made our move.

I love my family - they are the most important thing to me and I'd live in a tent as long as we could be together. OK UK is cold but I love shopping and Markies sell some lovely jumpers :thumbsup:

Just thinking we may actually end up camping as we haven't sorted out UK accommodation yet (apart from 1st 3 days in a Travelodge).

.......... and the adventure continues. ;)

king kong Oct 25th 2009 7:26 am

Originally Posted by midgetjan (Post 8042854)
Shame we could've shared a drink in the bar.

You flying with Malaysian?

We're going Singapore leaving 15.50 and arriving in Aberdeen on the 20th at 8.25am. So if my maths are right (taking into account the daylight savings change this weekend in UK) I arrive in Aberdeen 5 minutes before you take off :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Safe journey x

yep , malaysian .:thumbup::thumbup:

TraceyW Oct 25th 2009 8:04 am

Yey!!!! You've got paroll!! :thumbsup:

Hope all works out well back home xx

Sally Simpson Oct 25th 2009 8:15 am

Hey Jan, big decision, well done for making it.
I wish you every happiness with your return to Scotland & loads of luck with the packing up here!:lol:
Hope you will stick around on BE though 'cos who else will post so regularly on the joke thread or give me karma so freely!;):lol: