Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Old Oct 29th 2009, 4:59 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 and a half years in Perth and I'm going home

Originally Posted by Margaret3
this is where i think the whole experience has been really unhealthy for me, i never used to worry about the future, just get up and on with life, here i obsess over it , i worry about EVERYTHING to do with the future , i have make myself ill over finances here, i wasnt rich in scotland, didnt bother me one bit, here i worry so much over it. I worry about getting ill or any of the family getting ill and not being able to afford private health insurance i know they will be treated like 2nd class citizens in the public and expected to keep their mouths shut and put up with it, after all their getting it for free (is the saying i have heard the medical staff use here a million times)

Funny thing was when i was back in scotland in feb, i was back to my ce la vie self

I know part of the fact is the experience made me grow up financially and plan for my old age (lol!), but i have hated doing it.
i hear you on that one , maybe its because we feel we have no future that makes it come to the forfront of our minds .I know now that im off in a couple of weeks the backside is starting to twitch a bit ,got so used to living in limbo land its making me nervous about returning .Hope it doesnt last too long .
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donna&Neil
Hi Jan just wanted to say hats off for sicking with it & giving it a fair go. Are you heading back to Aberdeen? All the best for you & yours with whatever comes next.

Donna
Flying back into Aberdeen - have booked a Travelodge while we sort something out. Think we may settle in Aberdeenshire, at least an hour away from my kids is better than a whole day away.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Good luck Jan and family. It's nice to see that you and yours have managed to stay positive through the bad times. What a huge relief it must be to finally know you're going home.

All the best in your future and please don't be a stranger here on BE.
Thanks Dorothy. ~ Really believe if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. (although speaking of what kills you... At the moment I could gladly strangle the useless estate agents who haven't a clue what they're doing - we've had 4 settlement dates and they change by the day )

We're so looking forward to the next chapter in the book of life...... what an adventure.

Originally Posted by king kong
i hear you on that one , maybe its because we feel we have no future that makes it come to the forfront of our minds .I know now that im off in a couple of weeks the backside is starting to twitch a bit ,got so used to living in limbo land its making me nervous about returning .Hope it doesnt last too long .
Hope your ass settles soon - my belly is doing somersaults..... hope they don't move to my ass....
Old Oct 30th 2009, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by midgetjan
After 2 and a half years in Perth we have decided to go home to Scotland.

Hubby and son wanted home after 6 months but we hung on to give it a fair go. We qualified for the citizenship after 2 years but have decided not to go for it. We just don't feel like we belong here, so what's the point having citizenship?

We've had loads of major ups and downs here - almost ending in divorce. Nothing prepares you for the turmoil if one of you settles and the rest of the family don't.

We've had family issues back in the UK - sister's hubby left her for another woman after 30 years together. She attempted suicide several times, which I'm sure accelerated mum's dementia. Dad had major heart surgery. Adopted brother conned elderly parents into selling him their house for a fraction of its value. Four of my uncles have died and 3 of our friends have also passed away.

We've missed both of our daughters who are still in Scotland.

We've tried really hard to settle here but hubby has struggled to get work (and we came here on his skills too). Son (16 when we arrived here) misses his friends and sisters and has become depressed.

We bought the beautiful 4x2 house with a pool overlooking a rural property with ponies etc but I liken my life to Will Smith in "I am Legend". What's the point of having nice things if you have no family and friends to share them with? I worked really hard and got a good job with the government, which has paid the bills - but there has to be more to life than this.

We didn't run away from anything in Scotland when we came here. We were lucky and had a good life. We just decided it was time for an adventure. Well I can't moan as we have certainly had an adventure.

We chose Perth as hubby had a cousin there. We bought a house in a suburb close to them and then they stopped speaking to us because we wouldn't buy the house they wanted us to have.

We have done all the touristy things and are now bored. I work long days and there isn't much time to do anything when I get home. My hubby hates the flies and the extreme heat in summer. I hate the long wet winters.

We will never regret coming here as it's taught us to be grateful for the things we do have.

We've had our Perth adventure and now we are looking forward to the next chapter, "return to reality, a Traditional family Christmas."

fantastic post! we returned to ENGLAND feb 08. we were in perth 6 months and like you wanted to give it a go but knew it was not right. my son was 17 andalso got depressed, the only possitive thing was he passed his driving test whilst in oz.
no regrets, loving ENGLAND. The weather is beautiful at the moment, leaves on the trees changing colour etc, it not as cold as you think. And SHOP, SHOP, SHOP. we love to shop and everything is so cheap here compared to oz, from food to clothes to cars. we returned to nothing, luckily rented out house out while in oz, so returned to an empty shell. its not been easy but 18months down the line and we are back on our feet! Everyone working, kids back at school and new puppy in tow.

good luck on your return, remember the good times but also dont let those rose tinted glasses of oz sneak in when times are hard!
Old Oct 30th 2009, 9:15 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Jan

This post has not surprised me considering all that you and your family have been through.

may you be happy back in UK with your family..... as D said don't be a stranger
Old Oct 30th 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

midgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond reputemidgetjan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Sam and thank you also for meeting me for coffee and extending the hand of friendship. You're a good sort.

We'll be good back in the UK. It's time to go !!!

Wishing you all the best here.

Jan x
Old Nov 1st 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Fit Like Quine
I envy you going back to Aberdeenshire, I lived in Inverurie a couple of times with work.
Anyway, good luck with the move back home and I hope all your future dreams come through.

Cheers
LL
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you LL

Inverurie is indeed very nice - the home of JG Ross bakers (they make lovely Aberdeen rowies).
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

I really want to go home now - Went to the park for lunch yesterday and sat under a nice tree.

Sporting 6 beautiful huge mozzie bites today and they are all swollen like golfballs ....... Grrrrrr

Gimme a Scottish midgie any day.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 11:43 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by midgetjan
I really want to go home now - Went to the park for lunch yesterday and sat under a nice tree.

Sporting 6 beautiful huge mozzie bites today and they are all swollen like golfballs ....... Grrrrrr

Gimme a Scottish midgie any day.
I used to go bike riding in Joondalup park and next day i would be covered in mozzie bites. So bad that i had hospital treatment when i got hives and couldn't walk.
So when folk say 'outdoor lifestyle' i just cringe
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm popping antihistamine tablets and steroids at the same time as I always react very badly to bites here.

Never had this problem in UK. I've got one bite on my underarm, and I kid you not, it's the size of a mango.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

merleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to beholdmerleoberon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I used to go bike riding in Joondalup park and next day i would be covered in mozzie bites. So bad that i had hospital treatment when i got hives and couldn't walk.
So when folk say 'outdoor lifestyle' i just cringe
when i tell people back home that i spent more time in my english garden than my perth one, they laugh and think i'm telling porkies. in perth, if its not the flies its the mozzies. too wet/windy or too warm - ok maybe not all the time but for a very large percentage of the year. and dark before we all get home from work/clubs - hey, lets sit outside and get bitten to bits.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:14 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merleoberon
when i tell people back home that i spent more time in my english garden than my perth one, they laugh and think i'm telling porkies. in perth, if its not the flies its the mozzies. too wet/windy or too warm - ok maybe not all the time but for a very large percentage of the year. and dark before we all get home from work/clubs - hey, lets sit outside and get bitten to bits.
i must admit after 20 years here , i got skin like a friggin elephant ,i dont get bothered by them mozzies . mind u spent a bit time up in broome and spent more on spray than food in one week .
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by king kong
i must admit after 20 years here , i got skin like a friggin elephant ,i dont get bothered by them mozzies . mind u spent a bit time up in broome and spent more on spray than food in one week .
Looking at the older generation in Perth helped me decide to come home
Coco butter KK...rub it all over
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:13 pm
poole ,dorset . love it

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Looking at the older generation in Perth helped me decide to come home
Coco butter KK...rub it all over
no more coco butter for me after the 20 th november im out of here to get my pasty complection back .
Old Nov 4th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by merleoberon
We were just saying this the other day - we had a more outdoor lifestyle in Scotland. (for all the above reasons)

Agree cocoa butter is awesome, as is Bio Oil - my physiotherapist says I have beautiful skin for my age.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.