Hassles in Europe?

Old Mar 20th 2002, 2:38 pm
Anonymouse

Default Re: Hassles in Europe?

>>Demanding that "foreigners" (in their own country!) speak "American," asking "How
    >>much is that in real money," or getting irate because some "foreigner" won't accept
    >>U.S. dollars are good ways to start a "hassle!"
    >>
    >
    > I enjoy a good round of condescenscion as much as the next guy, but I gotta say,
    > the only times I've seen Americans doing these particular things have been in
    > the movies.

OH it happens.

we were on a "group trip" with some people in the cattle business (mainly looking at
Chianina cattle in italy) and despite the loads of delicious local cuisine a few
people insisted on a 'STEAK' for lunch and dinner.

Go Fig

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(snail) wrote:

> Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > [email protected] (snail) wrote:
    > >> Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> >This happened to me!... when I went to Burma my first time I was traveling with
    > >> >some Australians... did you know that for entry they had to change money, like
    > >> >me, but their Australian Dollar was not accepted,
    > >> Now that doesn't surprise me at all. Bloody aussies But how does that compare
    > >> with trying to enter an attraction in the middle of Paris ?
    > >> >It was the U.S. dollar that was in demand by the government bank. Does this
    > >> >surprise you given your apparent gaul in your friends story ?
    > >> No it doesn't surprise me. What was my 'apparant gaul' here ?
    > >OK... you prefer 'stunned'
    >
    > Whichever. I seem to have offended you but I don't understand why ?

Offended, hardly... I feel no responsibility for naive American tourists.

But yet on the TV I see many EU countries spending lots of U.S. dollars to buy
expensive airtime to promote tourism to their countries... currently Martin Sheen is
used to talk about 'the green hills' of his mothers country. Perhaps they should put
a crawler that says... "U.S. dollars not accepted".

jay Wed, Mar 20, 2002 mailto:[email protected]

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject... Galileo muttered under his breath:
"Nevertheless, it does move."

Snail

The Oik <[email protected]> wrote:
    >DFM wrote:
    >> Yeah, I love the UK beers. Stella, Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Guinness, and of
    >> course... Fosters!!!
    >all of which are excellent beers - as long as you get them where they come from:
    >even Fosters tastes OK in the land of Oz. Not sure about Kronenbourg now that its
    >been sold but we'll have to wait and see.

I don't think I can deal with Fosters and taste in that sort of sentence. Never had
one I liked. Of the Oz beers I prefer: Coopers, Toohey's Old, and Dogbolter; though
I'm more a wine quaffer. In Europe, I recall liking a few german beers including
Daub(sp?), almost anything I tried in Ireland, Guinness was ok, but I preferred
Murphy's and particularly Beamish. One of my favourite beers is probably Newcastle
Brown Ale.

>Oh, sorry, did you mean the 'versions' brewed in the UK?? I'm sorry, I thought we
    >were talking about beer....

--
snail @ careless net ~ snail | Character is what you are in the dark! - Whorfin

The Oik

"snail" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > The Oik <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >DFM wrote:
    > >> Yeah, I love the UK beers. Stella, Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Guinness, and
of
    > >> course... Fosters!!!
    > >all of which are excellent beers - as long as you get them where they
come
    > >from: even Fosters tastes OK in the land of Oz. Not sure about
Kronenbourg
    > >now that its been sold but we'll have to wait and see.
    >
    > I don't think I can deal with Fosters and taste in that sort of sentence. Never had
    > one I liked. Of the Oz beers I prefer: Coopers, Toohey's Old, and Dogbolter; though
    > I'm more a wine quaffer. In Europe, I recall liking a few german beers including
    > Daub(sp?), almost anything I tried in Ireland, Guinness was ok, but I preferred
    > Murphy's and particularly Beamish. One of my favourite beers is probably Newcastle
    > Brown Ale.
    >

Oz Foster vs pretty much anything from Cz rep, and I'll take the Cz beer, Oz Fosters
vs UK Fosters.... not a debate!

many many years ago, we used to be able to buy a wide selection of Oz beer (in CANS)
from a local wine store, and some of it was very good. By the time the UK based
brewers had been at it, it wasn't worth walking to the 'fridge for.

Old Mar 20th 2002, 3:06 pm
Jenn

In article <[email protected]>, anonymouse <[email protected]> wrote:

> >>Demanding that "foreigners" (in their own country!) speak "American," asking "How
    > >>much is that in real money," or getting irate because some "foreigner" won't
    > >>accept U.S. dollars are good ways to start a "hassle!"
    > >>
    > >
    > > I enjoy a good round of condescenscion as much as the next guy, but I gotta say,
    > > the only times I've seen Americans doing these particular things have been in the
    > > movies.
    >
    >
    > OH it happens.
    >
    > we were on a "group trip" with some people in the cattle business (mainly looking
    > at Chianina cattle in italy) and despite the loads of delicious local cuisine a few
    > people insisted on a 'STEAK' for lunch and dinner.

what a shock people on a tour of Italian cattle and in the cattle business like
to eat steak

Since this is a Tuscan specialty as well, I don't see the problem -- although it
would not be my choice.

Devil

Go Fig wrote:
    >
    > IIFC... only about 35% of U.S. currency is within the U.S. geographical boarders at
    > any time. No world currency comes close to it in market opportunities. The U.S.
    > Dollar is the most secure monetary instrument in the world.

Good chunk of which is just working capital in all sorts of illegal businesses,
mainly the drug trade.

As to that making the USD safe, I wonder. Might be the opposite, actually,
whenever an alternative appears, in particular. One would imagine this is what the
Euro is about?

Arguably, this might be an indicator of a *perception* of the USD being safe. But a
causal factor?

The key advantage of course, is that this amounts to a zero interest loan to the US
reserve board. Or actually a gift whenever some of the cash gets lost or destroyed.

Go Fig

In article <[email protected]>, devil <[email protected]> wrote:

> Go Fig wrote:
    > >
    > > IIFC... only about 35% of U.S. currency is within the U.S. geographical boarders
    > > at any time. No world currency comes close to it in market opportunities. The
    > > U.S. Dollar is the most secure monetary instrument in the world.
    >
    > Good chunk of which is just working capital in all sorts of illegal businesses,
    > mainly the drug trade.

Some... but not a 'good chunk'. The U.S. mint will tell you that when the new $100
bill came out... they coordinated with foreign reserve banks to make the change over
to the new bills for them.

> As to that making the USD safe, I wonder. Might be the opposite, actually,
    > whenever an alternative appears, in particular. One would imagine this is what the
    > Euro is about?

For course that is what the Euro is trying to do... well see.

jay Wed, Mar 20, 2002 mailto:[email protected]

>
    > Arguably, this might be an indicator of a *perception* of the USD being safe. But a
    > causal factor?
    >
    > The key advantage of course, is that this amounts to a zero interest loan to the US
    > reserve board. Or actually a gift whenever some of the cash gets lost or destroyed.

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject... Galileo muttered under his breath:
"Nevertheless, it does move."

Old Mar 20th 2002, 3:36 pm
Harvey V

I espied that on 19 Mar 2002, [email protected] (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    > Duncan Craig <[email protected]> wrote:

>> or getting irate because some "foreigner" won't accept U.S. dollars are good ways
    >> to start a "hassle!"
    >
    > I enjoy a good round of condescenscion as much as the next guy, but I gotta say,
    > the only times I've seen Americans doing these particular things have been in
    > the movies.

I've seen the implication rather than the reality.

When I first went to Paris, I took American Express traveller's cheques in French
francs so that I could spend them directly rather than having to convert the currency
over there.

In the FNAC shop in the rue de Rivoli, I presented some of these to the cashier to
buy some film, and she waved them away. When I queried this, she took a second look
at them, then rang the accounts office, who confirmed it was OK to take them. Her
colleague explained to me that she'd just never seen them denominated in francs
before, only in US dollars.

This suggests that there must have been a pretty steady stream of tourists -- either
US or not -- who were walking into shops in Paris and trying to spend US dollars (at
least in the form of traveller's cheques).

I'd imagine that the same people who try this sort of thing overseas would find it
unbelievably weird if a German or a Canadian walked into a store in LA, for example,
and tried to spend their home currencies there.

--
Cheers, Harvey

Old Mar 20th 2002, 4:05 pm
Miguel Cruz

Fredrik Staxeng <[email protected]> wrote:
    > [email protected] (Miguel Cruz) writes:
    >> Same thing trying to buy a Nepali visa at the India-Nepal border. They wouldn't
    >> take Indian or Nepali currency, only US$.
    >
    > Sure they didn't take Sterling and possibly D-marks also? The reason they ddin't
    > accept Indian or Nepali rupees is that they are (possibly were) non-convertible.

At the time I believe they only took US$. Everyone crossing the border, wherever they
were from, either handed over the greenbacks or turned back to head into town and try
to buy some at a horrible rate with their Rupees.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Old Mar 20th 2002, 4:05 pm
Miguel Cruz

>> Now, whether such a moment will actually occur is a different story, but the
    >> possibility is always there. If you want security, try gold, or (in a pinch) Swiss
    >> francs.
    >
    > Personally I would divide equally between Kuwati, Saudi, Swiss and Japanese
    > currency. The last part would be a bit of speculation of course,

I think your Saudi currency holdings would be fairly speculative too. The currency
is pegged to the US$ and they've been known to have to work pretty hard to keep
the peg up.

miguel
--

Old Mar 20th 2002, 4:35 pm
Fredrik Staxeng

[email protected] (Miguel Cruz) writes:

> Fredrik Staxeng <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> Now, whether such a moment will actually occur is a different story, but the
    > >> possibility is always there. If you want security, try gold, or (in a pinch)
    > >> Swiss francs.
    > >
    > > Personally I would divide equally between Kuwati, Saudi, Swiss and Japanese
    > > currency. The last part would be a bit of speculation of course,
    >
    > I think your Saudi currency holdings would be fairly speculative too. The currency
    > is pegged to the US$ and they've been known to have to work pretty hard to keep
    > the peg up.

But it's backed with the commodity I would expect to keep it's value best during a
major world recession. And work hard? They can compensate any capital outflow with
more oil exports, it's just that they have conflicting goals: keep domestic consumers
happy by exporting enough and keeping up the world price by not exporting too much.

No, the gold might initially go up, but would fall way down when the people who keep
their life savings in gold are forced to sell it to buy food.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: [email protected]

Old Mar 20th 2002, 6:06 pm
Miguel Cruz

>> I think your Saudi currency holdings would be fairly speculative too. The currency
    >> is pegged to the US$ and they've been known to have to work pretty hard to keep
    >> the peg up.
    >
    > But it's backed with the commodity I would expect to keep it's value best during a
    > major world recession. And work hard? They can compensate any capital outflow with
    > more oil exports, it's just that they have conflicting goals: keep domestic
    > consumers happy by exporting enough and keeping up the world price by not exporting
    > too much.

Well, that's exactly it. The Saudi population is one of the fastest-growing in the
world. Oil prices have plummeted in real terms since the 1970s, when the population
was small and a huge web of social programs was established. Today the population is
much larger, the social programs are still in place, there are no alternate sources
of income, and if the government withdraws the entitlements it'll lose the carrot
that keeps a barely-content population from leaning toward the staunchly
anti-Royalist Islamic radicals.

That is not a happy formula. They have some very smart people trying to balance
cash-flow issues with long-term oil price level issues, but I think the deck is
stacked against them.

miguel
--

Old Mar 20th 2002, 6:06 pm
Deep Fried Mars

"The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > Yeah, I love the UK beers. Stella, Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Guinness, and
of
    > > course... Fosters!!!
    > > --
    > > DFM
    > >
    > >
    > all of which are excellent beers - as long as you get them where they come from:
    > even Fosters tastes OK in the land of Oz. Not sure about Kronenbourg now that its
    > been sold but we'll have to wait and see.
    >
    > Oh, sorry, did you mean the 'versions' brewed in the UK?? I'm sorry, I thought we
    > were talking about beer....
    >

I wasn't actually serious, but anyway...

I had never even tasted Fosters until I came here. No-one in Oz (that I know) drinks
it. I always considered it Australia's little joke on the rest of the planet!

I would rate Coopers Pale highly, and Boags Premium has got to be one of the best in
the world.

Over here Budvar seems to outstrip the competition, but there are so many varieties
to work one's way through...

Reminds me of a joke: An Australian, a South African and an Englishman are drinking
in a pub in London, and the Ozzie picks up his glass, drinks the beer, throws the
glass up in the air, pulls out a pistol and shoots it. (in a heavy accent) "In my
country, we've got so much sand, I can drink with a different glass every time" Then
the Saffy picks up his beer, drinks it, throws the glass up in the air, pulls out his
pistol and shoots it. (in a bad SA accent) "In my country, glasses are so cheap, I
can drink with a different one every time" The Englishman now picks up his beer,
drinks it, throws the glass up in the air, pulls out his pistol and shoots the
Australian and South African.

"In my country, we have so many of you guys, I can drink with a different one
every time."
--
DFM

Old Mar 20th 2002, 6:35 pm
The Oik

> I would rate Coopers Pale highly, and Boags Premium has got to be one of
the
    > best in the world.
    >
    > Over here Budvar seems to outstrip the competition, but there are so many varieties
    > to work one's way through...
    >
    > Reminds me of a joke: An Australian, a South African and an Englishman are drinking
    > in a pub in London, and the Ozzie picks up his glass, drinks the beer, throws the
glass
    > up in the air, pulls out a pistol and shoots it. (in a heavy accent) "In my
    > country, we've got so much sand, I can drink
with
    > a different glass every time" Then the Saffy picks up his beer, drinks it, throws
    > the glass up in the
air,
    > pulls out his pistol and shoots it. (in a bad SA accent) "In my country, glasses
    > are so cheap, I can drink
with
    > a different one every time" The Englishman now picks up his beer, drinks it, throws
    > the glass up in
the
    > air, pulls out his pistol and shoots the Australian and South African.
    >
    > "In my country, we have so many of you guys, I can drink with a different one
    > every time."
    > --
    > DFM
    >
Oh, I LOVE that joke. BTW, 'over here' is where in respect to Budvar (I assume you
mean the real thing?)

Old Mar 20th 2002, 7:05 pm
K . Kosuge

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:26:12 -0600, anonymouse <[email protected]> wrote:

>OH it happens.
    >
    >we were on a "group trip" with some people in the cattle business (mainly looking at
    >Chianina cattle in italy) and despite the loads of delicious local cuisine a few
    >people insisted on a 'STEAK' for lunch and dinner.

A "few people" insisted on steak? Was it not on the menu or something? I don't get
the faux pas here.

At any rate, arrogant loudmouths come in all nationalities. I checking into a hotel
in Honolulu when a gentleman from the UK (judging from his accent) charged up to the
desk ranting loudly about the free "Continental Breakfast" set up in the lobby. He
berated the poor desk clerk unmercifully for way too long. Then he capped his
argument of with, "That is NOT a continental breakfast! I should know, after all--I'm
FROM the continent!"

I'm sure we all have stories like this and they're not all about American tourists.

Karen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.