Hassles in Europe?

Old Mar 20th 2002, 2:35 am
Miguel Cruz

Default Re: Hassles in Europe?

Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > This happened to me!... when I went to Burma my first time I was traveling with
    > some Australians... did you know that for entry they had to change money, like me,
    > but their Australian Dollar was not accepted, It was the U.S. dollar that was in
    > demand by the government bank.

Same thing trying to buy a Nepali visa at the India-Nepal border. They wouldn't take
Indian or Nepali currency, only US$.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos and tales from around the world: http://travel.u.nu

Old Mar 20th 2002, 7:05 am
Snail

> [email protected] (snail) wrote:
    >> This happened to a mate of mine (not a friend of a friend - if needed I can get
    >> him to post . They were queued up to buy tickets to ascend the Eiffel tower and
    >> had a "United States of America"[1] couple in front trying to use US dollars.

>This happened to me!... when I went to Burma my first time I was traveling with some
    >Australians... did you know that for entry they had to change money, like me, but
    >their Australian Dollar was not accepted,

Now that doesn't surprise me at all. Bloody aussies But how does that compare with
trying to enter an attraction in the middle of Paris ?

>It was the U.S. dollar that was in demand by the government bank. Does this surprise
    >you given your apparent gaul in your friends story ?

No it doesn't surprise me. What was my 'apparant gaul' here ? My friend was part of a
group of five who all heard the exchange. This was their first time travelling and
were rather stunned that someone would use non french currency in the middle of
Paris. They then related the story to me when I met up with them the next day.
Interestingly I was chatting with a tourist bus driver in Scotland who reckons that
tourists from Oz are developing quite a bad reputation these days...or maybe he was
just taking the piss
--
snail @ careless net ~ snail | Character is what you are in the dark! - Whorfin

Old Mar 20th 2002, 7:05 am
Snail

Miguel Cruz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >snail <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Eiffel tower and had a "United States of America"[1] couple in front trying to
    >> use US dollars. The chap at the counter refused and also refused their credit
    >> card, insisting on francs only. The couple were offended that their attempts to
    >> pay were rejected.
    >I also think people are just aching to spot these things, though.

I don't disagree. Alas it seems to be common to bag out the yanks in some circles
simply because of their nationality. They did have a second story involving yanks and
Starbuck's but I won't mention
it. I think the biggest problem they had was dealing with the Italian train system
and negotiating the various counters at the Terminus in Rome. That was the
biggest culture shock for them either that or trains running regularly as they
experienced in Paris. Trains do not have a good reputation in Sydney

>The attendant launched into a vituperative screed, flecks of spittle raining down
    >upon us as we meekly weathered his harangue. "This is a Sterling area,

Ouch but heh

>The funny part was that he then did accept the Euros, and had a whole drawer full of
    >them from previous visitors.

Of course

>I understand that this is a topic of particular sensitivity in Gibraltar.

So I gather (had a friend who did a bit of work there last year).

>Nevertheless I sort of doubt that every European traveler gets that treatment.

Yanks do seem to cop more than their fair share.
--

Old Mar 20th 2002, 8:49 am
Hans-Ulrich Ste

Tom Terwilliger schrieb:

> proudly proclaim that we're American. Personally, I think such clothing is too
    > casual for wearing on one's trip to Europe,

That's not true. It all depends on the weather and temperatures. If you don't visit
fancy restaurants or something like that you can wear what you like. In summer here
in Munich you see many tank tops and ever some people with no shirts at all. So don't
worry, we don't take this issue very seriously.

Hope that helps

Ulli

Munich Germany

--
Minds are like parachutes. Hans-Ulrich Steingrobe They only
function when open. (Charles Handy)

Old Mar 20th 2002, 8:49 am
Jani Patokallio

: IIFC... only about 35% of U.S. currency is within the U.S. geographical boarders at
    : any time. No world currency comes close to it in market opportunities. The U.S.
    : Dollar is the most secure monetary instrument in the world.

That's a non sequitur. The U.S. dollar is backed up solely by the people's faith in
the U.S. government, and its value will plummet the moment people lose confidence
and/or the gov't starts running the printing presses overtime.

Now, whether such a moment will actually occur is a different story, but the
possibility is always there. If you want security, try gold, or (in a pinch)
Swiss francs.

Or perhaps you meant to say that the U.S. dollar is the most *convenient* monetary
instrument in the world? =)

Cheers,
--
Jani Patokallio >O._, A jug of wine, a loaf of bread, and Thou! [email protected] `..'
whistling beside me in the darkness. -Khayyám

Old Mar 20th 2002, 11:05 am
The Oik

"Deep Fried Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > > Interestingly I was chatting with a tourist bus driver in Scotland who reckons
    > > that tourists from Oz are developing quite a bad reputation these days...or maybe
    > > he was just taking the piss
    > > --
    >
    > Probably because there are so many rude, crass, 'Ozzies' in Britain. Why don't they
    > all go back to their crocodile-infested penal colony, and leave us alone?
    > --
    > DFM
    >
    >
    > Oops... I forget that I am Australian sometimes!
    >
    >
because, like so many others from the former colonies, they are searching for the
'bit of class' which is now missing from their lives (or maybe its just because UK
beer is so good - ha ha ha!!)

Old Mar 20th 2002, 11:37 am
Go Fig

In article <[email protected]>, Jani Patokallio <[email protected]> wrote:

> Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > : IIFC... only about 35% of U.S. currency is within the U.S. geographical boarders
    > : at any time. No world currency comes close to it in market opportunities. The
    > : U.S. Dollar is the most secure monetary instrument in the world.
    >
    > That's a non sequitur.

Its not... but when you cut the relevent text... is that an attempt to try to
make it one?

> The U.S. dollar is backed up solely by the people's faith in the U.S. government,
    > and its value will plummet the moment people lose confidence and/or the gov't
    > starts running the printing presses overtime.
    >
    > Now, whether such a moment will actually occur is a different story, but the
    > possibility is always there. If you want security, try gold, or (in a pinch)
    > Swiss francs.
    >
    > Or perhaps you meant to say that the U.S. dollar is the most *convenient* monetary
    > instrument in the world? =)

Nope ... not at all... I meant what I said. jay Wed, Mar 20, 2002
mailto:[email protected]

>
    > Cheers,

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject... Galileo muttered under his breath:
"Nevertheless, it does move."

Go Fig

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
(snail) wrote:

> Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > [email protected] (snail) wrote:
    > >> This happened to a mate of mine (not a friend of a friend - if needed I can get
    > >> him to post . They were queued up to buy tickets to ascend the Eiffel tower
    > >> and had a "United States of America"[1] couple in front trying to use US
    > >> dollars.
    >
    > >This happened to me!... when I went to Burma my first time I was traveling with
    > >some Australians... did you know that for entry they had to change money, like me,
    > >but their Australian Dollar was not accepted,
    >
    > Now that doesn't surprise me at all. Bloody aussies But how does that compare
    > with trying to enter an attraction in the middle of Paris ?
    >
    > >It was the U.S. dollar that was in demand by the government bank. Does this
    > >surprise you given your apparent gaul in your friends story ?
    >
    > No it doesn't surprise me. What was my 'apparant gaul' here ?

OK... you prefer 'stunned'

> My friend was part of a group of five who all heard the exchange. This was their
    > first time travelling and were rather stunned that someone would use non french
    > currency in the middle of Paris.

Imagine there shock if they had been in Burma then....

jay Wed, Mar 20, 2002 mailto:[email protected]

They then related the
    > story to me when I met up with them the next day. Interestingly I was chatting with
    > a tourist bus driver in Scotland who reckons that tourists from Oz are developing
    > quite a bad reputation these days...or maybe he was just taking the piss

--

Legend insists that as he finished his abject... Galileo muttered under his breath:

Go Fig

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:22:20 GMT, Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    > >(snail) wrote:
    > >
    > >> Miguel Cruz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> >Duncan Craig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >> >> Demanding that "foreigners" (in their own country!) speak "American," asking
    > >> >> "How much is that in real money," or getting irate because some "foreigner"
    > >> >> won't accept U.S. dollars are good ways to start a "hassle!"
    > >> >I enjoy a good round of condescenscion as much as the next guy, but I gotta
    > >> >say, the only times I've seen Americans doing these particular things have been
    > >> >in the movies.
    > >>
    > >> This happened to a mate of mine (not a friend of a friend - if needed I can get
    > >> him to post . They were queued up to buy tickets to ascend the Eiffel tower
    > >> and had a "United States of America"[1] couple in front trying to use US
    > >> dollars.
    > >
    > >
    > >IIFC... only about 35% of U.S. currency is within the U.S. geographical boarders
    > >at any time. No world currency comes close to it in market opportunities. The U.S.
    > >Dollar is the most secure monetary instrument in the world.
    > >
    > >This happened to me!... when I went to Burma my first time I was traveling with
    > >some Australians... did you know that for entry they had to change money, like me,
    > >but their Australian Dollar was not accepted, It was the U.S. dollar that was in
    > >demand by the government bank.
    > >
    > >Does this surprise you given your apparent gaul in your friends story ?
    > >
    > >jay Tue, Mar 19, 2002 mailto:[email protected]
    > >
    >
    >
    > What an irrelevant comparison, between entering a poor Third World military
    > dictatorship and a tourist attraction in an affluent stable democracy.

So you think the 2/3rds of the U.S. Currency is held in Thrid would countries... is
that what you are saying ?

I reasonable sure that your country probable holds U.S. currency in their government
reserves... I doubt the same is true in reverse.

> --==++AJC++==--

--

Go Fig

In article <[email protected]>,
Fredrik Staxeng <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jani Patokallio <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > : IIFC... only about 35% of U.S. currency is within the U.S. geographical
    > > : boarders at any time. No world currency comes close to it in market
    > > : opportunities. The U.S. Dollar is the most secure monetary instrument in the
    > > : world.
    > >
    > > That's a non sequitur. The U.S. dollar is backed up solely by the people's faith
    > > in the U.S. government, and its value will plummet the moment people lose
    > > confidence and/or the gov't starts running the printing presses overtime.
    > >
    > > Now, whether such a moment will actually occur is a different story, but the
    > > possibility is always there. If you want security, try gold, or (in a pinch)
    > > Swiss francs.
    >
    > Personally I would divide equally between Kuwati, Saudi, Swiss and Japanese
    > currency. The last part would be a bit of speculation of course, but going from 360
    > to the dollar in the fifties to 130 right now is impressive. I think it was matched
    > by the D-Mark, but that is no more.

Now 'speculation' in money markets IS a non sequitur to this discussion.

>
    > > Or perhaps you meant to say that the U.S. dollar is the most *convenient*
    > > monetary instrument in the world? =)
    >
    > That's undoubtedly true (except for the native currency where you happen to be of
    > course) but D-Mark were equally convenient in many Asian countries. Euros seems to
    > have inherited this position, so people from Euro countries have no reason to buy
    > dollars for their trip to Thailand, India, etc.

So you been to Chaing Mai in the last 3 months have you?

--

Deep Fried Mars

"The Oik" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Deep Fried Mars" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Interestingly I was chatting with a tourist bus driver in Scotland who reckons
    > > > that
tourists
    > > > from Oz are developing quite a bad reputation these days...or maybe he was just
    > > > taking the piss
    > > > --
    > >
    > > Probably because there are so many rude, crass, 'Ozzies' in Britain. Why don't
    > > they all go back to their crocodile-infested penal colony, and
leave
    > > us alone?
    > > --
    > > DFM
    > >
    > >
    > > Oops... I forget that I am Australian sometimes!
    > >
    > >
    > because, like so many others from the former colonies, they are searching for the
    > 'bit of class' which is now missing from their lives (or maybe its just because
    > UK beer is so good - ha ha ha!!)
    >

Yeah, I love the UK beers. Stella, Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Guinness, and of course...
Fosters!!!
--
DFM

Old Mar 20th 2002, 12:05 pm
ajc

On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:23:07 GMT, Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 03:22:20 GMT, Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >> >(snail) wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Miguel Cruz <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >> >Duncan Craig <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >> >> Demanding that "foreigners" (in their own country!) speak "American," asking
    >> >> >> "How much is that in real money," or getting irate because some "foreigner"
    >> >> >> won't accept U.S. dollars are good ways to start a "hassle!"
    >> >> >I enjoy a good round of condescenscion as much as the next guy, but I gotta
    >> >> >say, the only times I've seen Americans doing these particular things have
    >> >> >been in the movies.
    >> >>
    >> >> This happened to a mate of mine (not a friend of a friend - if needed I can get
    >> >> him to post . They were queued up to buy tickets to ascend the Eiffel tower
    >> >> and had a "United States of America"[1] couple in front trying to use US
    >> >> dollars.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >IIFC... only about 35% of U.S. currency is within the U.S. geographical boarders
    >> >at any time. No world currency comes close to it in market opportunities. The
    >> >U.S. Dollar is the most secure monetary instrument in the world.
    >> >
    >> >This happened to me!... when I went to Burma my first time I was traveling with
    >> >some Australians... did you know that for entry they had to change money, like
    >> >me, but their Australian Dollar was not accepted, It was the U.S. dollar that was
    >> >in demand by the government bank.
    >> >
    >> >Does this surprise you given your apparent gaul in your friends story ?
    >> >
    >> >jay Tue, Mar 19, 2002 mailto:[email protected]
    >> >
    >>
    >>
    >> What an irrelevant comparison, between entering a poor Third World military
    >> dictatorship and a tourist attraction in an affluent stable democracy.
    >
    >So you think the 2/3rds of the U.S. Currency is held in Thrid would countries... is
    >that what you are saying ?
    >
    >I reasonable sure that your country probable holds U.S. currency in their government
    >reserves... I doubt the same is true in reverse.
    >
    >jay Wed, Mar 20, 2002 mailto:[email protected]
    >

I have no idea how much US or any other currency is held in 'Thrid would' countries.
I am simply making the point that citing the example of currency exchange regulations
when entering a country such as Burma is irrelevant in a discussion about paying for
things in foreign currencies in France. --==++AJC++==--

Old Mar 20th 2002, 2:06 pm
Snail

Deep Fried Mars <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Interestingly I was chatting with a tourist bus driver in Scotland who reckons
    >> that tourists from Oz are developing quite a bad reputation these days...or maybe
    >> he was just taking the piss
    >Probably because there are so many rude, crass, 'Ozzies' in Britain. Why don't they
    >all go back to their crocodile-infested penal colony, and leave us alone?

Damn straight, except my sister. She needs to stay in London so I can have free
accomodation in the UK

>Oops... I forget that I am Australian sometimes!

Gee, we're a bunch of scumbags aren't we
--

Snail

> [email protected] (snail) wrote:
    >> Go Fig <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >This happened to me!... when I went to Burma my first time I was traveling with
    >> >some Australians... did you know that for entry they had to change money, like
    >> >me, but their Australian Dollar was not accepted,
    >> Now that doesn't surprise me at all. Bloody aussies But how does that compare
    >> with trying to enter an attraction in the middle of Paris ?
    >> >It was the U.S. dollar that was in demand by the government bank. Does this
    >> >surprise you given your apparent gaul in your friends story ?
    >> No it doesn't surprise me. What was my 'apparant gaul' here ?
    >OK... you prefer 'stunned'

Whichever. I seem to have offended you but I don't understand why ?
--

The Oik

> Yeah, I love the UK beers. Stella, Kronenbourg, Grolsch, Guinness, and of course...
    > Fosters!!!
    > --
    > DFM
    >
    >
all of which are excellent beers - as long as you get them where they come from: even
Fosters tastes OK in the land of Oz. Not sure about Kronenbourg now that its been
sold but we'll have to wait and see.

Oh, sorry, did you mean the 'versions' brewed in the UK?? I'm sorry, I thought we
were talking about beer....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.