ATM's.......

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 8:20 pm
Hatunen

Default Re: ATM's.......

On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:07:23 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:

>DALing wrote:
    >> Of course I tell the story about the restaurant in Paris (years ago) when they
    >> brought out the meat on a cart and you literally "chose" your steak. They cooked
    >> it and served it. I ate it and then casualy asked what it was "chemin" (my French
    >> spelling might not be correct) - which means "horse" NNNNeiiigh (tasty, though -
    >> like "Pferdwurst" I once found in Bavaria)
    >
    >Would be "cheval."

Maybe "chemin" here means "road kill".

************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
intentional copyright traps ******

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 8:21 pm
Hatunen

Default Re: Food abroad...

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002 18:08:53 +0100, [email protected] (David Horne) wrote:

>Gordon Forbess <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I will admit to being a bit hard to please concerning Mexican food after living 30
    >> years in So. California so I tend to avoid it outside the southwestern US.
    >
    >Much as I like Mexican food, I've had some pretty humdrum Mexican food in Mexico,
    >and some really good Mexican food in Boston!

In all of thse posts about the availability of Fredonian food in Ruritania there
seems to an unstated presumption that all Fredonian food is just wonderful in
Fredonia, and the simple fact is there is lousy French food available in France,
lousy German food in Germany and lousy American food (whatever that is) in America.
And not everyone's mere/mutter/mother is a great cook, either.

>
    >David
    >
    >--
    >David Horne- www.davidhorne.co.uk Composer in Association- RLPO david (at)
    >davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk

************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
* Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
intentional copyright traps ******

Old Aug 2nd 2002, 9:21 pm
Mika

[email protected] (Vitaly Shmatikov) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Out of curiosity, which place in the US are you talking about? I find it very
    > hard to believe that supermarket selection in Europe (unless you are talking
    > about Fauchon or something) approaches that in, say, suburban California. With
    > the exception of some unpasteurized French cheeses and sheep lungs, I cannot
    > really think of an ingredient - arbitrarily exotic ethnic food included - that I
    > would not be able to buy within 5 miles of where I am sitting now. And this is
    > not even a big city like LA. I mean, supermarkets in Europe are alright for basic
    > foodstuffs, but in terms of *selection* I never found them to be particularly
    > impressive.

I still believe you're simply trolling, but you'll get a bite from me anyway.

Be a little more specific and tell us about your experiences. Where did you travel,
where did you shop? Tourists are usually not concerned with grocery shops much. What
countries are you talking about? What in particular was it that you could not find
in Europe?

Since you said that Europe has such a "long way to go" to match the selection found
in a *typical* US store, you should have no trouble to produce a little list for the
amusement of all. Thing is, that I have rarely heard Americans who actually live here
(Munich) complain. If you were disappointed when shopping here, maybe you need a few
pointers on where to look. Same advice that I usually give to GER tourists that
travel to Leftpondia.

And before you tell me that I know zip about the USofA, I've lived there for 7 years.
Add 4 years in Mexico and there's 11 year's worth of experience in NA.

Mika

Evelyn Vogt Gam

Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:
    >
    > >If you go to Belgium, distinctly better chocolate.
    >
    > Not true for the most part. In the past 10 years, lots of small-scale chocolate
    > makers came out of the woodwork in America, and IMHO their chocolate beats all
    > but a few expensive Belgian brands hands down.

That must be a matter of personal taste - I've yet to find ANY American chocolate
that equals any I've found in Belgium! (And "Godiva", which is so exhorbitantly
priced here, is not particularly well-regarded there.) I LIKE good American
chocolates - See's, Fanny Farmer, Russell Stover - but Belgian chocolates (pralines)
are quite different from their American relatives, and IMO better. (And of course,
anywhere, when you buy it from the chocolatier rather than the same brand
pre-packaged elsewhere, it's better, because it's fresher.)

Mika

[email protected] (Vitaly Shmatikov) wrote in message

>Bread in Germany is better than in New York, but not as good as our locally baked
    >bread in California (from bakeries like Acme and Bay Breads - all sold in regular
    >supermarkets).

You mean that mushy stuff that the toothless can eat, no doubt. OK, you are a troll.
Not much into flag waving, but GER is to bread what France is to cheese. Too many
varieties to list.

> Only if you consider Valrhona, Cote d'Or, Droste, Lindt, etc. American (I guess
    > Lindts are made in America).

Spruengli Lindt are Swiss (Zurich). Big factory right on the lake, which also happens
to be an interesting dive spot.

>> Nothing in Europe even remotely compares with major
    > >> US metro areas, like Los Angeles or New York.
    > >

Such as? Put up, Shmaty.

> Hey, at least I am not posting facts which are simply wrong, like the alleged
    > absence of European chocolate and beer in American supermarkets. And as I said
    > before, I don't care about standards, I only care about food that tastes good -
    > in restaurants, in supermarkets, from street vendors, anywhere. Preferably, 3
    > times a day Some European cities are Ok in this respect, some are getting
    > better, but America is still waaay ahead.

Be a bit more specific. Waaay ahead exactly how? What exactly would you like to see
improved on your next trip to Europe?

Mika

Evelyn Vogt Gam

greg byshenk wrote:
    >
    > Miguel Cruz <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > DALing <daling43[delete]-at-hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > > > not exeactly what I meant - poli sci is an accepted course of study but
    > > > assigning "science" (usually meaning the "exactness" of science) to "politics"
    > > > is the "oxymoronism". I wonder if it shouldn't be more aptly named "political
    > > > psychology"
    >
    > Well, some silly people consider "exactness" the essence of 'science', anyway. Then
    > again, 'psychology' is a science, so I'm not sure of the point here.

I'm not sure you wouldn't get an argument about THAT, from the medical fraternity!

Evelyn Vogt Gam

DALing wrote:
    >
    > Of course I tell the story about the restaurant in Paris (years ago) when they
    > brought out the meat on a cart and you literally "chose" your steak. They cooked it
    > and served it. I ate it and then casualy asked what it was "chemin" (my French
    > spelling might not be correct) - which means "horse"

According to my French-English dictionary, "chemin" means path or road - maybe they
were telling you it was "roadkill"? (;->} ("Horse" is "cheval".)

Mika

[email protected] (Hatunen) wrote in message
    > I certainly agree with that. In general, McDonalds is atypical of American
    > hamburgers. Especially the hamburgers I used to commonly get in a "burger in a
    > basket" before McDonalds even became a chain.

Still have very fond memories of Mad Dogs 'n Beans in Austin, Tx. Burger paradise.
Hope it still exists, haven't been back to Austin in a few years.

As a chain I used to like Whataburger back then. Don't think I ever went to McD while
I lived there.

Mika "Hook 'em ..."

Mika

JBM <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On 1 Aug 2002, Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:
    >
    > > Budweiser beer - which I was amazed to discover is ``tres branche'' in Belgium
    > > (!) of all places -
    >
    > This works both ways. Yes, it's true that (amazingly) Rolling Rock used to be
    > considered to have some cachet here in the UK; on the other hand, any old
    > crap European lager (Heineken above all) is seen as likewise of better
    > quality in the US.
    >

Taste doesn't always matter. The faux Tex-Mex restaurants in Munich have no trouble
selling Corona for EUR 4 a pop. Which is truly the most godawful of Mexican beers.
Except Sol, maybe. Or was it Pacifico?

Hand me a Bohemia, quick...

Mika

Evelyn Vogt Gam

devil wrote:
    >
    > Vitaly Shmatikov wrote:
    > >
    > > Still, can you name an ingredient that's available at Carrefour and not
    > > available at Safeway? I know it works the other way around: Safeways around
    > > here have all sorts of weird Chinese vegetables and Mexican stuff that's not
    > > available in Europe.
    >
    > If you go to France, a better selection of cheese. If you go to Belgium, distinctly
    > better chocolate.

....Also better cheese - not just in Belgium, but Austria, as well (but then that's
true of almost anywhere in Europe). We HAVE good cheese in the U.S. - drive along
country roads in Wisconsin, for instance, and you'll see signs put out by
enterprising farmers offering cheese for sale (and it's wonderful). But what reaches
our supermarkets (other than in their "gourmet" sections) is not at all the same
thing! (And, as you say, the selection is more limited - I saw cheese in fromageries
both in Paris and Brussels that I've never encountered in the U.S.) There was one in
Brussels I never caught the name of, fairly strong and "smelly", more or less
spreadable, and IMO altogether marvelous. The outside was deep gold in color, with a
convoluted appearance (kind of like a brain), the inside a deep cream-color, the
flavor indescribably delicious!

Jenn

In article <[email protected] >,
[email protected] (Mika) wrote:

> [email protected] (Vitaly Shmatikov) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Out of curiosity, which place in the US are you talking about? I find it very
    > > hard to believe that supermarket selection in Europe (unless you are talking
    > > about Fauchon or something) approaches that in, say, suburban California. With
    > > the exception of some unpasteurized French cheeses and sheep lungs, I cannot
    > > really think of an ingredient - arbitrarily exotic ethnic food included - that
    > > I would not be able to buy within 5 miles of where I am sitting now. And this
    > > is not even a big city like LA. I mean, supermarkets in Europe are alright for
    > > basic foodstuffs, but in terms of *selection* I never found them to be
    > > particularly impressive.
    >
    > I still believe you're simply trolling, but you'll get a bite from me anyway.
    >
    > Be a little more specific and tell us about your experiences. Where did you travel,
    > where did you shop? Tourists are usually not concerned with grocery shops much.
    > What countries are you talking about? What in particular was it that you could not
    > find in Europe?
    >
    > Since you said that Europe has such a "long way to go" to match the selection found
    > in a *typical* US store, you should have no trouble to produce a little list for
    > the amusement of all. Thing is, that I have rarely heard Americans who actually
    > live here (Munich) complain. If you were disappointed when shopping here, maybe you
    > need a few pointers on where to look. Same advice that I usually give to GER
    > tourists that travel to Leftpondia.
    >
    > And before you tell me that I know zip about the USofA, I've lived there for 7
    > years. Add 4 years in Mexico and there's 11 year's worth of experience in NA.
    >
    > Mika

I have zero recent knowledge of grocery stores in Munich so for all I know they are
the Taj Mahal of food vending. I have visited many a supermarket in Paris, London,
various parts of Italy and Belgium and never seen a one that exceeds in display or
variety the typical suburban American supermarket. In fact they mostly are like what
supermarkets in the US were like decades ago. There may be a fabulous one somewhere
-- but I have shopped in many in Europe and never seen one to write home about.

Jjp

Default Re: Food abroad...

"Sandra Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<%[email protected] om>...
    > We couldn't resist a Tex-Mex restaurant in Paris a couple of years ago--it was
    > interesting, to say the least. Salsa was more like catsup, and I'm not sure what
    > the chips were! We weren't complaining--we hadn't expected Tex-Mex to travel well
    > far from Texas, and we didn't go to Paris to eat food we could get here in Houston.
    >
    > I'm sure people from India are disappointed with Indian food in Houston, and French
    > citizens may not be impressed with our local efforts with their cuisine.

There are several great Indian places in Houston, usually owned and run by Indians.
Same for other cultures as well. Houston is a great restaurant town largely because
it is a fairly large, international city and an easy place to start a business.

> Having lived, also, in Lafayette LA, I saw firsthand how people adapted their
    > native cooking: the local Chinese buffet had beignets and cooked fish with Cajun
    > seasoning!
    >
    > "Frank Matthews" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > | I don't disagree much but it does depend on the local culture. Good cuisine
    > | usually depends on a reasonable base of immigrants who normally eat that cuisine.
    > | For example in a couple of tries I haven't found a decent Cajun restaurant more
    > | than a days drive from Lafayette, LA. I have been to a few Tex-Mex restaurants
    > | outside Texas and they wouldn't last 6 months here.
    > |
    > | On that ground I would expect the Indonesian cuisine in the Netherlands to be
    > | good. I have found the Polish food in London & Chicago excellent but marginal in
    > | Houston. Although there is a new place trying.
    > |
    > | To sum up my comment. To get diverse cuisines you need a diverse population.
    > |
    > | I have also usually found the local cuisine good if you can find it.
    > |
    > | Frank Matthews
    > |
    > | Sjoerd wrote:
    > |
    > |
    > | >
    > | > In my humble opinion, in the big European cities you can eat as
    > diversely
    > | > and internationally as you can in the main US cities. In Amsterdam,
    > except
    > | > for the better known cuisines, we can now eat Nepalese, Tibetan,
    > Colombian,
    > | > Russian, Polish, Belgian, Mongolian, Tex-Mex, Uruguayan, South African,
    > | > Surinamese, and I am sure I forget a few unusual cuisines.
    > | >
    > | > Sjoerd
    > | >
    > | >
    > | >
    > |

Evelyn Vogt Gam

DALing wrote:
    >
    > well... Miller High Life used to be called "The Champagne of Bottled Beers" (and it
    > doesn't even come from France - let alone taste much like beer, either)

But only by its advertising agency! On the other hand, I encountered a Belgian who
actually claims to LIKE American Budweiser! His musical taste is impeccable - I'm not
sure one can say the same for his taste in beer. (Especially when he must have been
raised on Belgian beer!)

Daling

ah what the heck - sort of remembered "chemin de fer" which I always thought meant
iron horse - since 'fer" is iron, I just thought chemin was horse. besides, whadaya
expect after 30+ years??

"Hatunen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 02 Aug 2002 15:07:23 GMT, devil <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >DALing wrote:
    > >> Of course I tell the story about the restaurant in Paris (years ago)
when
    > >> they brought out the meat on a cart and you literally "chose" your
steak.
    > >> They cooked it and served it. I ate it and then casualy asked what it
was
    > >> "chemin" (my French spelling might not be correct) - which means
"horse"
    > >> NNNNeiiigh (tasty, though - like "Pferdwurst" I once found in Bavaria)
    > >
    > >Would be "cheval."
    >
    > Maybe "chemin" here means "road kill".
    >
    >
    > ************ DAVE HATUNEN ([email protected]) ***********
    > * Tucson Arizona, out where the cacti grow * ******* My typos are
    > intentional copyright traps ******

Evelyn Vogt Gam

devil wrote:
    >
    > DALing wrote:
    > > so WHAT is "American" food?
    >
    > I always thought corn, turkeys and pumpkin were distinctly American?
    >
    > (While potatoes and tomatoes are from Peru?)

Add to that wild rice (and I think someone already mentioned cranberries). I think
most of us are including the entire New World as "America", for this discussion, so
you can also include chocolate and avocados.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.