Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Wikiposts

When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:54 am
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Originally Posted by gazz
i much prefer the secret seven myself, but good luck to little jason though, i,m sure he will be well trained to take his fathers crown with the same menovolence and rule his subjects with a fair hand, remember some of the worlds great people have been diagnosed with this illness and gone on to great things

LOL

Thank you for the kind words about my Jason. And yes he will be OK and I will be there to help him as long as I can.

King lol..... If you knew me it would make you laugh.....

I drive a 1994 Chevy truck I purchased USED in 1996 and has 300,000 miles on it and I tune it up myself....

My friends make fun of me for that but I remember being really really poor as a little kid in Portugal and that fear of hunger and fear of failure have never left me so I work hard and do as much myself as I can.

Sure I have been very lucky and also I have worked hard and today my little family rests on my shoulders comfortable and safe but underneath it all I still lay awake at nights worried if I might one day make a mistake or wondering what could happen to make us loose what I built up.

I never want my Jason to feel that kind of fear.... Never.

King…. No but I am proud of who I am, my heritage, my home, my adopted country (excepting people like Bush) and my family. And it shows I guess.

Cheers
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:24 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

BUT
is this the best way for him to grow up?? in a sheltered privileged life
you need to feel lifes knocks to make you strong
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:48 am
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

He neither has a sheltered life nor is it privileged lol

We live in nice middle class neighborhood our property is just secluded and a little big.

He goes to regular public schools and has regular friends from the hood...

However he does have one hell of a hangout room to use when he becomes a teenager and a dad who remembers what it is like to be 16 ………

So sure in some ways he is privileged. That is more for my benefit than his… Knowing my son can have whatever he wants… Well almost… and can try anything he wants because if it goes wrong I will be here to catch him makes me feel good about me.

When I was young I was really good a several things. I am a little talented… I was always a great driver and can make a car do things most folks would never believe possible but I could never hope to become a pro racecar driver because we needed to eat and racing costs. I got to go when I was 38… Nobody would sponsor me although I was good because the return on investment was wrong because I was too old.

When I was a teenager I used to build computers in my friends garage. I was programming games BEFORE there was a Microsoft. I was good at it and I loved it. I can program in almost every language from Fortran to PHP… But I had to get a “real” job because according to my mom computers were just silly games… What a missed opportunity… Why??? fear of hunger…

That is NEVER going to happen to my son. If he is good at something and he wants to give it a try I will not only help him but I will tell him to take all the chances he wants to take and to hell with worry because that is Papas department.

Privileged… Maybe… But not in the way royalty is privileged. We are poor people from the humble but Noble blood of the Portuguese.

All I missed out on in life didn’t make me strong… It made me sad to know I could for sure have done it but never got the chance. It didn’t make me better it made me scared because unlike royalty I know what it is to have absolutely nothing…

Hardship doesn’t make one a better person. Good persons would be good persons regardless of their station in life.

Hardship can teach you common sense and sharpen you cunning instincts but at what a price.

Jason ….. He will have common sense I will teach him that, and he will be cunning I will make sure of that too. But he will also be kind and most of all generous.

Not privileged… Just my son and if that is a privilege then my life was worth something.

Now if I could just figure out how to live in the US and Portugal both at the same time so he gets the best of both worlds……

That would be great to give him the old world values and perspective and grounding and also the new world's sense of adventure and can do attitude….

I’m workin on it……

Last edited by cavalierhome; Mar 31st 2008 at 8:42 am.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:58 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cleri
So.....
We need blankets too,to keep the chill off
Ive got one of those stills,I bought it on holiday in Port years ago,took it home (obviously) and then shipped it back when i came to live,its very well travelled
It's traveled more than all the aussies I know.

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
It's great stuff that Ronseal.
Oi..

Originally Posted by Cleri
I dont use it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you mad???? I cant waste valuable drinking time waiting for something to brew
I love it.

Originally Posted by cavalierhome
So we go on the little cruise... off the vilamoura marina… we get to this deserted beach and they are supposed to take us in by small boat….. Well a lot of people including these two British girls (about 12 and 14) jump; in and start swimming a long long way to shore…

So latter we arrive by boat and Jason wants to go swimming… I don’t really want to and the two girls were diving off a big rock…. So I told Jason to go ask them to swim with him…

He did and they were so wonderful they were jumping off the rock into the ocean but directly below the rock there were submerged rocks so you had to jump out…. Well Jason didn’t understand that so the girls would throw him off into the ocean and then jump in after him and bring him back (he could not swim)….

Latter we met their parents.. I lovely couple and we were talking.. I mentioned that some of my earliest childhood memories were reading these little books about the 5 children that had all these adventures….. They said Oh yes the fantastic five!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I never expected to meet anybody who knew about these little books I found as a child full of dust at the local Portuguese library…..

It was so fun. So we exchanged addresses and phone etc…. Well Christmas rolls around and we get a package in the mail…….
It is from them…. I open it and inside are the girls own used fantastic 5 books….. My wife reads Jason and me a chapter every night now.

They were so wonderful and I hope we can meet again someday.

Anyway, Jason…. You would not be able to tell now but he had a very lousy set of cards dealt to him when he was born… He became autistic at 2 years old….We have worked and worked and used therapy and doctors and teachers etc etc every day every day without stopping but slowly we broth him back. Today he is virtually indistinguishable from any other child. It was hard and heart breaking but he is such an amazing little boy. Very smart and excellent at things like math.
So I try to leave him a good start he deserves it.

P
He's a cutie alright. I worked with children with Autism in the UK, some of them were very intelligent. The very best of luck to you and little Jason.

I have to ask, were you in the cellar when you typed this post?

PS. I used to read 'The Famous Five' by Enid Blyton.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:54 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl

Oi..

I love it.

He's a cutie alright. I worked with children with Autism in the UK, some of them were very intelligent. The very best of luck to you and little Jason.

PS. I used to read 'The Famous Five' by Enid Blyton.
i presume those were the original drafts in those days then, did you get to meet enid herself?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:57 pm
Á Boa Vida

LOL No....

I can't spell for crapola.....

But just because I type with an accent don't think I think with an accent
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:59 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

i presume those were the original drafts in those days then, did you get to meet enid herself?
No I'm afraid not, but I met Big Ears.

Originally Posted by cavalierhome
LOL No....

I can't spell for crapola.....

But just because I type with an accent don't think I think with an accent
You have a very deep voice.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:07 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

gazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond reputegazz has a reputation beyond repute

No I'm afraid not, but I met Big Ears.
You have a very deep voice.
so was nomad nice then?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:13 pm
'In limboland'

so was nomad nice then?
Naughty boy.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:15 pm
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

Naughty boy.
you know it
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:21 pm
Á Boa Vida

LOL

Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:02 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

just to let you know its friggin gorgeous here today, muito sol, muito calor, bring it on, and just in time for the flannys on tour, have a great time
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:54 am

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

just to let you know its friggin gorgeous here today, muito sol, muito calor, bring it on, and just in time for the flannys on tour, have a great time
Snap, great day here in Espana. 3 grandkids aged 9, 7 and 2 arrived less than 48 hours ago with their two parents. So far they have managed to consume 12 loaves, 1 kilo cheese, 500gms ham, 4 advocados, 1 kilo tomatoes, 2 large mozzarella cheese's, 1 box coco pops, 24 croissants, 24 homemade fairycakes, 9kilos of roasted and jacket potatoes, 1 5kilo chicken, 1 cauliflower, 1 large broccoli, 2 kilos carrots, 24 yorkshire puddings, 1 large flans, 2 pizzas, 1 kilo of chips, 1 packet of chicken nuggets, countless packets of crisps, 5 litres of leek and potato soup, assorted fruit, 3 bottles of lemon fanta, 1 bottle orange fanta, 4 bottles of cola and 5 litres of red wine, 4 litres of milk and 5 litres of blackcurrent. 2 kilos of mince cooked and waiting to be turned into a shepherds pie for to-morrow when I have re-stocked the veg drawer. We are now going out for dinner, wish me luck

Only another 190 hours to go, and then I will be moaning they have gone home and that I am missing them, I am already making plans for August when they come back for two weeks. Must be mad!!

Gazz how do you cope with four kids, they must eat you out of house and home

Last edited by crispy; Apr 1st 2008 at 4:57 am.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:00 am
eheheheeeeeeeeeer!

Originally Posted by crispy
Snap, great day here in Espana. 3 grandkids aged 9, 7 and 2 arrived less than 48 hours ago with their two parents. So far they have managed to consume 12 loaves, 1 kilo cheese, 500gms ham, 4 advocados, 1 kilo tomatoes, 2 large mozzarella cheese's, 1 box coco pops, 24 croissants, 24 homemade fairycakes, 9kilos of roasted and jacket potatoes, 1 5kilo chicken, 1 cauliflower, 1 large broccoli, 2 kilos carrots, 24 yorkshire puddings, 1 large flans, 2 pizzas, 1 kilo of chips, 1 packet of chicken nuggets, countless packets of crisps, 5 litres of leek and potato soup, assorted fruit, 3 bottles of lemon fanta, 1 bottle orange fanta, 4 bottles of cola and 5 litres of red wine, 4 litres of milk and 5 litres of blackcurrent. 2 kilos of mince cooked and waiting to be turned into a shepherds pie for to-morrow when I have re-stocked the veg drawer. We are now going out for dinner, wish me luck

Only another 190 hours to go, and then I will be moaning they have gone home and that I am missing them, I am already making plans for August when they come back for two weeks. Must be mad!!

say no and then beat them within an inch of their lives:
or tell them your not really related and your just helping out of the goodness of your heart

failing that, just give in to their constant whining, give them what they want and turn to the ear plugs and alcohol, both forms equally as effective
remember your lucky you get to give them back at the end

Last edited by gazz; Apr 1st 2008 at 5:06 am.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:08 am
Á Boa Vida

Originally Posted by crispy
Snap, great day here in Espana. 3 grandkids aged 9, 7 and 2 arrived less than 48 hours ago with their two parents. So far they have managed to consume 12 loaves, 1 kilo cheese, 500gms ham, 4 advocados, 1 kilo tomatoes, 2 large mozzarella cheese's, 1 box coco pops, 24 croissants, 24 homemade fairycakes, 9kilos of roasted and jacket potatoes, 1 5kilo chicken, 1 cauliflower, 1 large broccoli, 2 kilos carrots, 24 yorkshire puddings, 1 large flans, 2 pizzas, 1 kilo of chips, 1 packet of chicken nuggets, countless packets of crisps, 5 litres of leek and potato soup, assorted fruit, 3 bottles of lemon fanta, 1 bottle orange fanta, 4 bottles of cola and , 4 litres of milk and 5 litres of blackcurrent. 2 kilos of mince cooked and waiting to be turned into a shepherds pie for to-morrow when I have re-stocked the veg drawer. We are now going out for dinner, wish me luck

Wow you guys eat like birds....... all those veggies.... Where are the Pork chops? Carne assada? Bacalhau? Guisado? Cosido A Portuguesa? Dobrada?

Cheese and fruit? That is for AFTER the meal.

5 litres of red wine ….. Surely you jest…. 48 hours 4 adults and 3 kids…. Only 5 litres…. Was that the 2 year old’s allotment?

Just kidding Grandma

You must be having a ball with all your family around you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.