Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Do all age groups require a medical in order to exchange their U.K. licence for a Portuguese one?
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
Do all age groups require a medical in order to exchange their U.K. licence for a Portuguese one?
This table is available on the IMT website. It applies to UK licence exchange as well as renewals of Portuguese licences.

Last edited by BillBullock; Oct 2nd 2020 at 3:21 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

So does the above mean that if your UK licence is dated after 3/1/13 (and you're under 60) you don't need a medical certificate?

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
This table is available on the IMT website. It applies to UK licence exchange as well as renewals of Portuguese licences.

Thanks, Bill. So I’m reading it that if one gained their U.K. licence prior to 2013 and is under 50, no medical cert required. Is that how you read it?
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 6:15 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a PT medical in order to effect the exchange, whatever your current age.

The PT licence will be valid until the next revalidation date as stipulated in the rightmost column if you're exchanging now.

Anybody who obtained a PT licence - by exchange or otherwise - prior to 2016, would be on one of the revalidation regimes in the other 2 columns.
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 6:29 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suiko
Just before moving to Portugal I moved house in the UK.

If I change my address with the DVLA now I won't have my new licence for at least a couple of months (time for DVLA to issue it, and time for me to go back to UK to pick it up - hoping to go this month of Nov, but COVID-dependent of course).

Can I go ahead with exchanging my licence for a Portuguese one with the old address on it?
Your UK address is irrelevant as you are now resident in Portugal, right? So no need to do anything at all now about informing the DVLA of your last UK address.

You can't give them a foreign address and they won't, in any case, be trying to communicate with you over the exchange.

The PT authorities are only interested in your PT address.

Old Oct 3rd 2020, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! So who exactly doesn't need a medical? Either I'm being exceptionally obtuse or that graphic is somewhat unclear!
Old Oct 3rd 2020, 9:05 am
Polished expat

Originally Posted by suiko
Thanks! So who exactly doesn't need a medical? Either I'm being exceptionally obtuse or that graphic is somewhat unclear!
Everybody who obtains a PT licence must have a medical first.

The renewals then go as per that table - some require a medical and some do not. For example, you apply now for your first licence at age 19. You must have a medical for that, then you renew the licence without medical exams at 34 and 49, and then again, this time with medical certificates, at ages 60, 65, 70 and thenceforth every 2 years.

That's for the standard car or bike etc licence. Other categories vary.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:34 am
Time is always a problem

jogl will become famous soon enoughjogl will become famous soon enough

Does anyone know........?

I rang IMT at Faro earlier in the week to ask for an appointment the lady said they were arranging no more appointments from 01 Oct, exchanging driving licences is now to be done online.

So I duly pulled off Mod 37 IMT. Now this form asks that you append a scan of a number of documents all of which I can do EXCEPT one.

So can anybody tell me what a 'Certificate of Authenticity' is and where can I get one?

regards
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jogl

I rang IMT at Faro earlier in the week to ask for an appointment the lady said they were arranging no more appointments from 01 Oct, exchanging driving licences is now to be done online.

So I duly pulled off Mod 37 IMT. Now this form asks that you append a scan of a number of documents all of which I can do EXCEPT one.

So can anybody tell me what a 'Certificate of Authenticity' is and where can I get one?

regards
HI, I think it may mean the list of vehicle categories that you are entitled to drive, which can be obtained from DVLA here:
https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence
HoweverI didn’t actually send this in online as I understand they request this from DVLA anyway. As I said I didn’t send it and so far I have received a request for €30 which I paid via my bank app and today I received a receipt and confirmation that they are processing our request to exchange the licence. I think the next step is to get our biometrics, whether that involves a visit to IMT or them using DVLA info I have no idea, they are not very forthcoming with info (probably because its still early days in this whole online process). Anyway, I am in the system before the 90 days are up so can relax at last.
Progress?
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

regards
See the comments above. This has already been discussed.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 6:58 am
Time is always a problem

But that list of vehicle categories is on the scan of my UK licence which is one of the docs I've appended to Mod 37 IMT. So I don't think it's that.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

If you have UK licence, you need to send a copy of your residencia certificate. There is a mistake in the instructions.

Last edited by BillBullock; Oct 9th 2020 at 7:16 am.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 7:18 am
Time is always a problem

I included a scan of my resident document for completeness even though Mod 37 IMT doesn't ask for it.

I'm wondering whether the copies of the licence, etc., need stamping(?) by a notary.
Old Oct 9th 2020, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

I included a scan of my resident document for completeness even though Mod 37 IMT doesn't ask for it.

I'm wondering whether the copies of the licence, etc., need stamping(?) by a notary.
Here is a list of everything I sent and mine has begun the process without any problems:

Scans of:
1. Driving Licence
2. IMT 37
3. CRUE
4. Passport
5. Mod Agend. IMT

all completed and signed.

They requested €30 euros a few days later, I paid and have received receipt and confirmation of the process.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.