Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Oct 1st 2020, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by wellinever
Anyone over 70 now needs an ECG done as part of the medical for a driving license, according to Int Health Centre in Albufeira. Total medical cost of €50

Is that when you renew at 72 ? At 70 had a fairly rudimentary check-up before certificate signed and entered in the system.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suiko
OK, thanks. I'll try to get that done as soon as I've had a go at the residency (probably Mon 12th).
Are you there for good now?
Old Oct 1st 2020, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

"For good"... that sounds very permanent. Might inspire a panic reaction!

I was planning to make a short trip back to England in late Oct and/or Nov, as I have stuff to sort out, but this will of course be COVID-dependent (i.e. no chance of getting stuck there again!)
Old Oct 1st 2020, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

bons is an unknown quantity at this point

"For good"... that sounds very permanent. Might inspire a panic reaction!

I was planning to make a short trip back to England in late Oct and/or Nov, as I have stuff to sort out, but this will of course be COVID-dependent (i.e. no chance of getting stuck there again!)
Don't have a panic reaction. I wish I was there 'for good'.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wellinever
Anyone over 70 now needs an ECG done as part of the medical for a driving license, according to Int Health Centre in Albufeira. Total medical cost of €50
This is not true. At 75 years of age I just needed a medical. An ECG was not required when I had my IMT appointment in Faro for exchanging my UK licence.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

Not true. At 72 had mine done in April, usual simple Portuguese test, eyes BP.. Sent photocopy of new license good till 2022 but received plastic one weeks ago. No need for photo change since age 65, Also no address on license since 70.

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

I believe the licence exchange process has moved online, I have just attempted it. First attempt and their email address bounced but have tried again and fingers crossed this time. As its new I expect many teething problems. This is the link if anyone is interested:
http://www.imtonline.pt/index.php/tr..._oWhFd0h6_3bh8
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geronimal
I believe the licence exchange process has moved online, I have just attempted it. First attempt and their email address bounced but have tried again and fingers crossed this time. As its new I expect many teething problems. This is the link if anyone is interested:
Really useful link - thank you
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

Just before moving to Portugal I moved house in the UK.

If I change my address with the DVLA now I won't have my new licence for at least a couple of months (time for DVLA to issue it, and time for me to go back to UK to pick it up - hoping to go this month of Nov, but COVID-dependent of course).

Can I go ahead with exchanging my licence for a Portuguese one with the old address on it?

To do this, all I need for the appointment is passport, residency document and medical certificate, right?
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

At last they have introduced a sensible system but what do they mean by a Certificate of Authenticity? Do they mean Residencia certificate? Too late for me because I started the process 4 weeks ago and found it straightforward at IMT Faro once I got an appointment.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Just before moving to Portugal I moved house in the UK.

If I change my address with the DVLA now I won't have my new licence for at least a couple of months (time for DVLA to issue it, and time for me to go back to UK to pick it up - hoping to go this month of Nov, but COVID-dependent of course).

Can I go ahead with exchanging my licence for a Portuguese one with the old address on it?

To do this, all I need for the appointment is passport, residency document and medical certificate, right?
You need above and also your UK driving licence, well at least a scan of both sides if you do it online. You may well need it physically when you actually exchange it for the temp paper copy or the actual Pt DL. The medical is entered into the IMT system by the Doctor who did your medical, so no paper. And 15 euros obvs.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BillBullock
At last they have introduced a sensible system but what do they mean by a Certificate of Authenticity? Do they mean Residencia certificate? Too late for me because I started the process 4 weeks ago and found it straightforward at IMT Faro once I got an appointment.
Could it be the list of categories from DVLA? You can download this.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Could it be the list of categories from DVLA? You can download this.
DVLA sent me Form D737 (Certificate of Entitlement) after I requested it on a web chat. I handed this in at the IMT office in the hope that it would speed up the issue of my Portuguese licence. We shall see. If they do mean List of Categories from the DVLA or Form D737, they need to make it clear. Certificate of Authenticity could mean a number of things. I still think they mean Residencia certificate because that is what the original instructions say in Portuguese on the IMT site.

Last edited by BillBullock; Oct 2nd 2020 at 12:05 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 1:27 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

A certificate of authenticity would be :
Declaração emitida pelo serviço emissor ou autoridade diplomática ou consular, comprovativa da autenticidade do título de condução, da data de emissão e respetiva validade, das categorias de veículos a que está habilitado, com as respetivas datas e restrições e ainda que o título de condução foi obtido mediante aprovação em exame de condução;
Outras Situações

So it's a declaration from the issuing authority or diplomatic or consular service, attesting to the authenticity of the licence submitted, the date of issue and its validity, the vehicle categories authorised, together with respective dates and restrictions, and that the issuing of the licence was subject to a driving test.

...and which applies to non EU drivers' licences.

So it looks like the form on the link is either a one size fits all, where you only submit the documents specified on the main page, or that they've embedded a link to the wrong form. Most likely the former, I'd say
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric
A certificate of authenticity would be :

Outras Situações

So it's a declaration from the issuing authority or diplomatic or consular service, attesting to the authenticity of the licence submitted, the date of issue and its validity, the vehicle categories authorised, together with respective dates and restrictions, and that the issuing of the licence was subject to a driving test.

...and which applies to non EU drivers' licences.

So it looks like the form on the link is either a one size fits all, where you only submit the documents specified on the main page, or that they've embedded a link to the wrong form. Most likely the former, I'd say
Well that's cleared that up Red Eric. Why am I not surprised that the application form is not 100% spot on first time?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.