Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Old Dec 3rd 2020, 11:19 am
cfs
Forum Regular

cfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond reputecfs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: exchanging driving licence - where and when to make appointment?

Originally Posted by Mac and Mabel
How long did it take for others to receive a further contact from IMT after receiving the initial auto-response “we have your email and will process it as soon as possible”? Just getting a little concerned that I initially heard from IMT again within 24 hrs of my first auto-response - when they advised I needed to send again all docs as PDF - but it is now nearly 2 weeks since I sent it again and received another auto-response. Does this match others’ experience?
Mine took 14 days from sending the pdfs until they sent an email requesting payment, this was back in October
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cfs
Mine took 14 days from sending the pdfs until they sent an email requesting payment, this was back in October
Thank you - I’ll not start panicking just yet, then.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

Geronimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Started the online process 1st Oct, received request for €30 about 2 weeks later, then received appointment for biometrics 2 weeks after that, 2 weeks after that I received my temp licence with a request to send my actual UK licence to Porto. About 2 weeks later I had brand new Pt licence in my hand. All in all less than 8 weeks. Very smooth process but I appreciate not everybody is having the same experience.
Old Dec 3rd 2020, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geronimal
Started the online process 1st Oct, received request for €30 about 2 weeks later, then received appointment for biometrics 2 weeks after that, 2 weeks after that I received my temp licence with a request to send my actual UK licence to Porto. About 2 weeks later I had brand new Pt licence in my hand. All in all less than 8 weeks. Very smooth process but I appreciate not everybody is having the same experience.
We are still waiting 13 weeks later for our plastic licences.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BillBullock
We are still waiting 13 weeks later for our plastic licences.
It seems to depend on so many variables that we have no control over, like who handles it, which office, which person in same office handles it and goodness knows what else. I do think it is a very difficult time for IMT offices, working through the pandemic and with an increased workload and backlog and of course the transition deadline. They haven’t really managed to get on top of it all and probably won’t for a while yet. At Faro the IMT was very busy and the queue outside large, noisy and uncomfortable. I’m glad its all over for me.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really niceSunseeker1st is just really nice

I used an agency (Gracy Biss) to renew mine early April. I only received a two-month paper. It was about to run out so I phoned Gracy and she said I had till the end of the year. A couple of weeks later my plastic one arrived, end June. Conversely, my friend renewed his in June and he received his in two weeks. Both at Faro.

Old Dec 4th 2020, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

suiko is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought it was just a big backlog. But from Geronimo's experience there seems to be more to it.

Seven weeks waiting now, with nothing....

Last edited by suiko; Dec 4th 2020 at 8:00 am.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunseeker1st
I used an agency (Gracy Biss) to renew mine early April. I only received a two-month paper. It was about to run out so I phoned Gracy and she said I had till the end of the year. A couple of weeks later my plastic one arrived, end June. Conversely, my friend renewed his in June and he received his in two weeks. Both at Faro.
Renew process is a simple one, it doesn’t need to be done at IMT, the exchange is a lot more involved.
Old Dec 4th 2020, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suiko
I thought it was just a big backlog. But from Geronimo's experience there seems to be more to it.

Seven weeks waiting now, with nothing....
Its just how it is here, even getting residency, the process can vary from office to office and even between the different staff handling the paperwork in the same office. You just have to roll with it, stressing and worrying don’t help. If you’ve got some proof that you’ve started the process and taken all reasonable steps then its all you can do. You can always contact the UK embassy in Lisbon and see if they can help, it would at least be an official response on the matter.
Old Dec 7th 2020, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone who is still to exchange their licence and to have their medical check - I have just used the service I asked about above and it was fantastic! (That is, if - as the Dr assured me - IMT now immediately have my Atestado Médico Electrónico in their system awaiting my exchange application). It was so quick and easy - so long as you have a device that can make video calls - didn’t have to leave the house, easy to book, Dr spoke brilliant English. Just took the number of my residence certificate, asked about current licence categories, asked about any ongoing conditions/medications I have, and whether I use glasses/lenses. Gave me a quick eye test using a chart that appeared on my screen. Then emailed the Atestado to me to check for accuracy whilst on the call, then he pinged it to IMT.

if anyone books a video consultation with them, to exchange your licence choose the video consulta + Atestado only option at 29€ - the more expensive option is only for renewing existing PT licences and includes them applying to IMT for the client, not available for licence exchanges.
Could you supply the link to this service for the fee of €29 please? On the home page it states this fee for the medical attestation., under 'choose your video consultation' presentations.
The three other 3 services range from €19 to €49 (this latter for a psychological and mental health assessment).
When one clicks through, it becomes €49 for this service , it seems, for the driving picture option; the others being for sports, professionals .
Old Dec 7th 2020, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campos
Could you supply the link to this service for the fee of €29 please? On the home page it states this fee for the medical attestation., under 'choose your video consultation' presentations.
The three other 3 services range from €19 to €49 (this latter for a psychological and mental health assessment).
When one clicks through, it becomes €49 for this service , it seems, for the driving picture option; the others being for sports, professionals .
Looks a bit different from when I used it. 29€ was a special offer for bookings by end Nov but full price was less than 35€ - I think - for the consulta and atestado, and then there was the 49€ option also inc support with the IMT process. At the time they advised by email that the IMT support was only for renewing and not for exchanging foreign licences, as one can only do that oneself. Looks like they may have now made it one price fits all, whether you can use the IMT support or not. Maybe worth dropping them an email [email protected] see if they still do consulta and atestado only.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

campos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond reputecampos has a reputation beyond repute

Looks a bit different from when I used it. 29€ was a special offer for bookings by end Nov but full price was less than 35€ - I think - for the consulta and atestado, and then there was the 49€ option also inc support with the IMT process. At the time they advised by email that the IMT support was only for renewing and not for exchanging foreign licences, as one can only do that oneself. Looks like they may have now made it one price fits all, whether you can use the IMT support or not. Maybe worth dropping them an email [email protected] see if they still do consulta and atestado only.
I think you got a special offer or similar. Emailed and got back to me with fee of €49.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by campos
I think you got a special offer or similar. Emailed and got back to me with fee of €49.
I definitely had a special offer but there were previously 2 levels of service. So they have made it one price fits all for dl atestados, regardless whether the IMT application support is appropriate. I suspected as much, as they now list exchange of foreign licences which they didn’t before; I had emailed to check it was appropriate.

Must say, though, even at 49€, I would still have gone with it rather than using my local centro de saude or a private clinic, even if it was a touch cheaper. This was much less hassle all round.
Old Dec 8th 2020, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

We had no hassle getting our medical at our local private clinic with our doctor. It cost €30 and the certificate was uploaded to the system straight away.
Old Dec 9th 2020, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Pilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond reputePilotabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Just a further heads up to IMT changes.

Previously you went to the local office...
Due covid they took the step to move to online applications...
Now they've closed the usual telephone numbers and moved enquiries to a premium rate number (due to demand).

Office staff not too happy as they claim the government has wanted to do this for many years enabling they to make job cuts but staff refused whilst holding a position of strength. Unfortunately they lost that strength during this pandemic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.