The SAPOL 60

Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:01 am
Banned

mrsmuppet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The SAPOL 60

Originally Posted by IRONS
Congratulations

Isn't it strange seeing 'permitted to remain in Australia indefinitely' stamped in your passport!!!!

I'm trying to put the ironing off, but no one else is gonna do it

Dawn
Yeah, very strange!! Its kinda scary that they are going to let us IN, never mind the staying bit!!!
Oh, bugger, going to have to sack the ironing fairy - lazy mare hasnt shown up again!
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsmuppet
Got the Visa's today!! Off to celebrate!! Well, nearly, more realistically back to the ironing board.
Mr M off to travel agents to book for 13th March from LHR. Anyone else going that day?
Geoff's leaving on the thirteen - 22.00 - Malaysian Air I think. Do the 'boys' want to meet beforehand - or shall we meet to sob into a coffee afterwards.?!?!

Any consolation - I'm ironing curtains while the paint dries in the living room...blurgh, Saturdays were NEVER meant for this.

Judes
x
Old Feb 19th 2005, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

gjc38 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nancy
Oh the weekend has arrived..... decluttering here I come!

To Judes - I still have not heard back from AQIS? I faxed them in Canberra and left a voice mail but no response, was it that they emailed you for the Australian address, or do you think you would have got an email anyway?

Canberra is just an office so I am going to call Melbourne again tonight and see if they have heard from Canberra yet. I have my seats held and want to book them! I have decided I am going to fly from Melbourne to Adelaide now. 1 hour I am sure Lucy will be OK - and better than a car ride.

Have a good weekend all, I am up to my neck in things to throw out!!!
Hubbie volunteered to go into work..... smart move!

Nancy

Nancy - think I only heard because there was no Oz address - since I faxed themthe correct details I haven't heard anything either. Let me know how you get on x
Old Feb 19th 2005, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Nancy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gjc38
Nancy - think I only heard because there was no Oz address - since I faxed themthe correct details I haven't heard anything either. Let me know how you get on x

Thanks Judes,

Yes what a Saturday! I have done a huge trip to the rubbish tip, a run to the Charity shop. Nearly finished the house work.... got a viewing at 4:30 (rental).
I have even gone to the lengths of sweeping and mopping the comunal areas. Not sure what we pay our quarterly maintenance fees for, as they NEVER clean out there! Smells all fresh now!

Ah well back to it.... yep I'll let you know what the AQIS lot say.
Nancy.x
Old Feb 19th 2005, 5:54 pm
Claguey

claguey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mrsmuppet
Got the Visa's today!! Off to celebrate!! Well, nearly, more realistically back to the ironing board.
Mr M off to travel agents to book for 13th March from LHR. Anyone else going that day?
There are a few going out that day. I am flying out from Manchester so we will all meet up at Kualar Lumpar for the onward flight to Adelaide, be great to see everyone, hopefully we will still be lively enough to sink a few pints of the "amber nectar" or couldn't anyone else give a XXXX !
Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Vicar is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody been given any info on how soon we can get there, how to arrange a room at the academy or whether we are going to be met at the airport?

So far it seems to have been left at "congrats, you got the job" and no further information forthcoming.

Mr Vicar.
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:41 pm
Claguey

Originally Posted by Vicar
Anybody been given any info on how soon we can get there, how to arrange a room at the academy or whether we are going to be met at the airport?

So far it seems to have been left at "congrats, you got the job" and no further information forthcoming.

Mr Vicar.
at the open day Scott said ideally he would like us there a week before, apparently they have some activities (!?) planned, you can arrange via Scott to be picked up at the airport and taken to the academy. I have also received this email:

As presented by Scott Oster at the SAPOL Information Day, Immigration South
Australia provides a range of 'On Arrival Services' to assist skilled
migrants to settle in South Australia. These include

* Assistance with finding On Arrival Accommodation
* Settlement Orientation Service
* Migrant Employment Consultancy Service

For further information about assistance with On Arrival Accommodation
please email [email protected]. The subject of your email
should indicate "SAPOL On Arrival Accommodation". This assistance can take
some time to organise, therefore (if required) Immigration South Australia
requires contact from you at your earliest convenience.

Please note that this assistance with arranging suitable accommodation is
provided by the South Australian State Government through Immigration South
Australia, and should not be confused with any assistance or support offered
by South Australia Police (SAPOL). If you have any queries regarding
support offered by SAPOL, including the activities planned for the
Orientation Week, you should contact their recruitment department directly.

Immigration South Australia has also compiled an information pack
specifically for SAPOL recruits. This is available in electronic format
prior to departure and can be obtained by emailing
[email protected]. The subject of your email should indicate
"SAPOL Info Pack". These Information Packs will also be available from the
Police Academy during Orientation Week.

If you have further queries regarding these services and/or the Regional
Sponsored Migration Scheme please contact Robyn Hansen Senior Manager -
Regional Migration who is available by appointment only. If telephoning
from the United Kingdom please note that Adelaide, South Australia is
currently ten hours and thirty minutes ahead (+10.5 hrs).

Her contact details are:

Robyn Hansen
Senior Manager - Regional Migration
Department of the Premier and Cabinet
Immigration SA
Phone: + 61 8 8204 9245
Fax: + 61 8 8204 9244
Email: [email protected]
Web site: www.immigration.sa.gov.au

Hope this helps.

Phil.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Ink8455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys, one of the 150, sorry.

We've been trying to work out the costs, and wondered if we've missed anything?

Our family consists of 2 adults and 1 child.

Flights £1500 (seems best to go for an open flight as not much difference in one way)

Dogs (x2) £4000 + collection and possible additional kennel fees in Melborne.

20ft container £4000 (Allied Pickford)

Exchange rate ????

Loss in converting currency, and do the Government take a % ?????

The loss of selling everything over here that we've accumulated and still going (items, not us), against the cost or purchasing replacements over there.
Cars, furniture, TV, video, phones, tumble dryer(???), washing machine, LAWNMOWER. (You can't take lawnmowers)

Finally, wage, pension etc.

As we understand it, we will get our UK Police pension at 60 (or is it 65?).
Do we get any other UK pension?
Linda stated we can't buy in to the SAPOL pension, so has anyone worked out pension schemes? How much we have to pay in for the length of service we still have to do?

I was going to retire at 51 but that now seems like 60.

I would get £90,000 and £1300 a month if I retired today with 30 yrs service.

Is there anything we've overlooked?

Best of luck, and please keep the thread going, on the off chance there are 2nd and 3rd intakes.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 6:44 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ink8455
Hi Guys, one of the 150, sorry.

We've been trying to work out the costs, and wondered if we've missed anything?

Our family consists of 2 adults and 1 child.

Flights £1500 (seems best to go for an open flight as not much difference in one way)

Dogs (x2) £4000 + collection and possible additional kennel fees in Melborne.

20ft container £4000 (Allied Pickford)

Exchange rate ????

Loss in converting currency, and do the Government take a % ?????

The loss of selling everything over here that we've accumulated and still going (items, not us), against the cost or purchasing replacements over there.
Cars, furniture, TV, video, phones, tumble dryer(???), washing machine, LAWNMOWER. (You can't take lawnmowers)

Finally, wage, pension etc.

As we understand it, we will get our UK Police pension at 60 (or is it 65?).
Do we get any other UK pension?
Linda stated we can't buy in to the SAPOL pension, so has anyone worked out pension schemes? How much we have to pay in for the length of service we still have to do?

I was going to retire at 51 but that now seems like 60.

I would get £90,000 and £1300 a month if I retired today with 30 yrs service.

Is there anything we've overlooked?

Best of luck, and please keep the thread going, on the off chance there are 2nd and 3rd intakes.
You can bring lawn mowers ,as long as they have been cleaned[jet washed] to AQIS standard, including grass catcher....................... mm
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future

Hi All

We have got a few companies coming to give us estimates for removals over the next few days, will keep you updated with their quotes.

Dawn
Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mr mover
You can bring lawn mowers ,as long as they have been cleaned[jet washed] to AQIS standard, including grass catcher....................... mm

Apparently the cost of getting the certificate is more than the cost of buying a new lawnmower!!!!!
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:09 pm
Claguey

Spoke briefly at the open day to one of those pension companies, basically they said if your pension is left here til you retire, when it gets sent over to oz you will pay tax on it (between 30 and 47% depending on amount)

HOWEVER if you pay their company (£395) they will get you your pension as a lump sum NOW, transfer it over to Oz where it will be frozen until you are 60 and then you will get it tax free. Sounds too good to be true, they want to meet me to discuss it all. I felt a bit bamboozled by what he was telling me, did anyone else get similar info?

Phil.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:12 pm
Claguey

Apparently the cost of getting the certificate is more than the cost of buying a new lawnmower!!!!!
Does this certificate thingy apply to all electrical goods? I have a new American Fridge/Freezer I was going to get shipped out, the removal company http://www.shipit.co.uk/ quoted me £1600 for the fridge, 2x settees, Kingsize bed, Dining table + 6 chairs, 2 bicycles and 3 tea chests

Phil.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by claguey
Does this certificate thingy apply to all electrical goods? I have a new American Fridge/Freezer I was going to get shipped out, the removal company http://www.shipit.co.uk/ quoted me £1600 for the fridge, 2x settees, Kingsize bed, Dining table + 6 chairs, 2 bicycles and 3 tea chests

Phil.

I was told it was only for lawnmowers and the like. Every blade of grass and dirt had to be removed and certificate issued stating sterilised and no termites. Garden furniture only had to be cleaned. Apparently it's harder to check lawnmowers and there's a chance that the whole shipment would be quarantined on arrival.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:50 pm
Claguey

I was told it was only for lawnmowers and the like. Every blade of grass and dirt had to be removed and certificate issued stating sterilised and no termites. Garden furniture only had to be cleaned. Apparently it's harder to check lawnmowers and there's a chance that the whole shipment would be quarantined on arrival.
Don't think I'll bother taking my £49.99 B+Q lawnmower then, hopefully buy one of those that you sit on!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.