Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 21st 2005, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Russ Chalmers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by Rippo
Hi Helen and Kath,

Glad to see there's lots of us in the same boat. I think it is just as well that the women are the ones left at home, not the men!! I can't imagine Rich having to cope with working, kids, selling house, sorting out finances etc....

Still waiting for THE elusive email...any one had theirs yet?

Hi Ann,
Russ got his email this morning, he goes on Monday, so was cutting it fine, it states in it that after interview you will be told and you need to confirm the date you are going to enable them to get you started with Immigration, he also got his exforces letter which took about two weeks. Booked medicals now, earliest date was 28th Feb and prices are per person and dependent on your age, for adults £200 each, kids range from £60 to £30 for the baby.
Good luck and we are nearly ready to open btle to celebrate, after Monday of course!!

See you all soon
Kath
Old Jan 21st 2005, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Russ Chalmers
Hi Ann,
Russ got his email this morning, he goes on Monday, so was cutting it fine, it states in it that after interview you will be told and you need to confirm the date you are going to enable them to get you started with Immigration, he also got his exforces letter which took about two weeks. Booked medicals now, earliest date was 28th Feb and prices are per person and dependent on your age, for adults £200 each, kids range from £60 to £30 for the baby.
Good luck and we are nearly ready to open btle to celebrate, after Monday of course!!

See you all soon
Kath

Hi.It's lee
Good news about the e mail still waiting for mine and am starting to get a little concerned as I am travelling up to London on Monday with still no idea of where to go etc on tuesday and no way of checking e mails as I don't have a lap top. :scared:
Could you possibly find it in your heart to give me the S.P on the fitness and interview because I think Scott Oster is avoiding me!!!!!
I would be eternally grateful.
Cheers Lee
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

doodleye is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by zoe100
Hi.It's lee
Good news about the e mail still waiting for mine and am starting to get a little concerned as I am travelling up to London on Monday with still no idea of where to go etc on tuesday and no way of checking e mails as I don't have a lap top. :scared:
Could you possibly find it in your heart to give me the S.P on the fitness and interview because I think Scott Oster is avoiding me!!!!!
I would be eternally grateful.
Cheers Lee
Hi hope you don't mind me butting in I've cut and pasted the contents of the email I was sent. I imagine everyone received the same.

Congratulations on receiving a successful result in the written examination, and being selected to participate in the Physical Assessment Testing and Interview stage of the SAPOL recruitment. Please read thoroughly the contents of the email below, as it is important you follow all directions and bring all necessary documents.

Your final testing day is:
Your physical test time will be:
Your interview time is:

Please note that due to necessary security arrangements applicants must come to their allocated session. If you are unable to attend the time in which you have been allocated please call 020 7887 5154 to arrange an alternative time/date.
Each applicant must provide Photo Identification for admittance into the Australia Centre.

Physical Assessment Testing:
The Physical Assessment Testing will take place in the Banqueting Suite, Lord's Cricket Ground, St. Johns Wood in London. Entrance is from St John's Wood Road, up the stairs between the 'Grace Gates' and 'Lord's Tavern'. Lord's Cricket Ground is approximately 30 minutes from Euston, Kings Cross and Waterloo stations by tube or bus.
A map can be found at
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=newsearch.srf

I have not attached the detailed 'location map' of Lords due to possibility of having emails rejected, however I can forward this to those who require it.

Important
- If you have not already submitted your medical form ("Medical Report - Personal Statement of Health") signed by your doctor please bring it with you as we will be unable to test you without this form.
- If you are over the age of 35 please do not come to the test without your Exercise ECG as this is required prior to you commencing the physical test.

Please note that there will be no changing facilities available at the venue, applicants are advised to arrive in appropriate attire for the physical assessments and arrangements are to be advised for these facilities to be available before the interviews. (possibly a nominal fee of £2 p/p) Applicants should bring their own water/refreshments should it be required.

After your physical assessment, you will probably have some free time prior to you interview. Please ensure that you arrive 10 minutes prior to both your physical assessment and interview.

To get from Lord's Cricket Ground to Australia House, the #13 bus from Park Road goes directly to Aldwych/Strand, or the underground from St. John's Wood station to Temple or Holborn stations. A great resource for finding the best transport routes is the 'Transport for London' website, which can be found at: www.tfl.gov.uk

Interviews:
Interviews will take place at The Australia Centre, Strand, London (where the initial written examinations were conducted). Please use the entrance located on the corner of Melbourne Place and the Strand.

The interview stage of the selection process is to assess your suitability for employment with SAPOL, it will not be lengthy or involved.

It will consist of a series of set questions that will test your communication skills, allow you to expand on your written application, show your knowledge of South Australia and SAPOL and show the interviewers that you have been successful in your current position. There will also be an emphasis on your awareness of the project you are undertaking.

If successful, there will be the requirement for a complete change in your lifestyle in a new and unfamiliar environment that will require considerable expense and distance from family and friends.

The interview will hopefully be short (½ hour) and you will be speaking to one person.

We are assuming your current standing as a police officer will suggest you are fully aware of the role, responsibilities and duties of that position however you may be asked some questions about recent personal accomplishments within your job.

You will be notified of the final outcome of your application to SAPOL at the conclusion of your interview. We would encourage you to confirm a date as early as possible so that you can begin to make arrangements for your visa applications to DIMIA (Federal Government Department for Immigration).

Documentation:
Please bring any outstanding documents to complete your 'application pack' which consists of those forms downloaded from the SAPOL website, and the original documents where you have provided photocopies.

Applicants who receive a nomination as a result of SAPOL's recruitment exercise will be invited to lodge an application for a migration visa under the Australian Government's Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS). All SAPOL nominees must meet Australian migration criteria in their own right before they can proceed to Australia. For more information about RSMS, please refer to the Immigration SA website at; http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=249

Under no circumstance should you lodge a migration application until you have received notification from SAPOL that your nomination has been approved.

Once again I would like to congratulate you on your successful result in the entrance examination and wish you success in the remaining assessments.

Kind regards

Briony Schrader
Sergeant
Human Resource Management Branch

c/o State of South Australia
The Australia Centre
Strand
London WC2B 4LG
Telephone: +44 (0)20 7887 5157
Fax: +44 (0)20 7887 5332

Information contained in this e-mail message may be confidential and may also be the subject of legal professional privilege or public interest immunity. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this document is unauthorised.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that post, I think lots of us on here will appreciate it.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Rippo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Hi doodleye, Thanks for sending us the email.

Rich phoned Scott today as he hadn't had his confirmation email and wanted to confirm his fitness / interview date and times. He is doing the fitness at 9am at Lords, then interview isn't until 2pm. They told him that he will be sent his email on Monday. Has anyone else got similar times on that day? Perhaps you could meet up for a pre interview coffee to try to calm those nerves :scared:
Not sure whether to stay over night or train in am?

On a sadder note we do now know someone who has failed the exam and has been notified.

So are you guys going in to interview all sweaty? Let's hope that they sort out some showers.

Also I am a bit concerned about the "great expense" bit. I hope they are at least paying airfares, otherwise all the profit in sale of house will go on getting to oz in 1st place.

Look forward to hearing from you guys!

Ann
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:20 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Good evening everyone...

My fitness test is at 10am on friday 28th January, then interview at 1230. I am trying to book into hotel for the night but again this is more expense.

If i was sucessful i would ideally want to go late July or September, because hubby does not finish his college course til 6th July. ( get his CORGI Registration then )

If it meant me going in March then i would be without my children aged 7 and 3 for nearly 3 months.!! I think this would crack me up.

Is there anyone else booked in for these times??

Paula
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fg02
Good evening everyone...

My fitness test is at 10am on friday 28th January, then interview at 1230. I am trying to book into hotel for the night but again this is more expense.

If i was sucessful i would ideally want to go late July or September, because hubby does not finish his college course til 6th July. ( get his CORGI Registration then )

If it meant me going in March then i would be without my children aged 7 and 3 for nearly 3 months.!! I think this would crack me up.

Is there anyone else booked in for these times??

Paula

Hi Paula

My hubby has his fitness/interview on Thursday, as a matter of interest where did you stay on your last visit?

Dawn
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I was just wondering if there are any other women out there who have got through to stage 2...perhaps im thick but from the threads i have read it would appear that the majority are men.

I am a little worried about this fat test thingy... wonder if they take into consideration that women rarely get back to their 'normal' size after childbirth.
I bet they go straight for the old baby house everytime.!!

I would consider myself built for comfort and not for speed. But still get sprung for Public Order courses every 6 months and i get through that okay.

Paula
Old Jan 21st 2005, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by IRONS
Hi Paula

My hubby has his fitness/interview on Thursday, as a matter of interest where did you stay on your last visit?

Dawn

Hi Dawn.
I stayed at the Sydney hotel on Belgrave Road, Victoria. It was not brilliant but my outlaws came with me and they took the kids to the museums for the day...and they paid...which is a bonus.
The only thing was that my father in law was a long distance lorry driver about 25 yrs ago. He still tries to convince himself that he can get around London with his eyes closed. As we all know London is constantly changing...so we got lost for about 2 hours. He has also got a fine for travelling through the congestion charge things and he did not know how or where to pay. so hes been fined £50...Yipee.

To top this off, instead of travelling down the motorway to London...he decided to go the old way down A5, past every truck stop cafe en-route.
He has said he will drive me down again...but i told a fib and said i had already booked the train. Cant cope with him...but he means well.

Paula
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

IRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant futureIRONS has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fg02
Hi Dawn.
I stayed at the Sydney hotel on Belgrave Road, Victoria. It was not brilliant but my outlaws came with me and they took the kids to the museums for the day...and they paid...which is a bonus.
The only thing was that my father in law was a long distance lorry driver about 25 yrs ago. He still tries to convince himself that he can get around London with his eyes closed. As we all know London is constantly changing...so we got lost for about 2 hours. He has also got a fine for travelling through the congestion charge things and he did not know how or where to pay. so hes been fined £50...Yipee.

To top this off, instead of travelling down the motorway to London...he decided to go the old way down A5, past every truck stop cafe en-route.
He has said he will drive me down again...but i told a fib and said i had already booked the train. Cant cope with him...but he means well.

Paula
An expensive trip by the looks of things!

I don't know if this helps but when Alan went for his exam he stayed at the travel lodge in Kings Cross, it was a 20 min journey by tube and short walk, single or double rooms were at that time £45.00.

Dawn
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Are we there yet? is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by SimonA
Weighing this one up after plenty of deliberation.

Myself and my partner are expecting the usual hurdles but could do with some pointers - i dont suppose im lucky enough to stumble across some one who's already made the move im planning.

Check out the OE web page, they were screaming for Brit Police in South Australia. I believe they help with visa and everything.
Good luck.
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

Rich phoned Scott today as he hadn't had his confirmation email and wanted to confirm his fitness / interview date and times. He is doing the fitness at 9am at Lords, then interview isn't until 2pm. They told him that he will be sent his email on Monday. Has anyone else got similar times on that day? Perhaps you could meet up for a pre interview coffee to try to calm those nerves :scared:

On a sadder note we do now know someone who has failed the exam and has been notified.

So are you guys going in to interview all sweaty? Let's hope that they sort out some showers.

Also I am a bit concerned about the "great expense" bit. I hope they are at least paying airfares, otherwise all the profit in sale of house will go on getting to oz in 1st place.

Ann

I'm on the 28th, fitness at 0900 and interview at 1300, staying at the Ramadas Jarvis around the corner from Lords if that helps?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Are we there yet?
Check out the OE web page, they were screaming for Brit Police in South Australia. I believe they help with visa and everything.
Good luck.
Forgivr my ignorance, on nightshift,

OE web page?
Old Jan 21st 2005, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Ann

i really really really dont want to cause offence to anyone at all but (of course theres a 'but' after that) any house move will involve great expense and so moving to oz will be no different, and you didnt have to apply....... i know that sounds really harsh and i dont mean it to, i really dont and it would be bloody fantastic if our air fares were paid for us... but this is the police we're talking about! i doubt sapol are in any better terms financially than our own forces and i know that most uk cops have to spend their own cash buying equipment that i think they should be provided with by their employer, so to expect sapol to pay our fares..... i think would be stretching their budget slightly!

from what we have prob all read sa are desperate for police and thus im sure that south aussies will be glad of any of us on here that get thru but im not sure they would be impressed to know that their tax dollars effectively paid for their fares or visa applications or whatever when we all volunteered to apply!

again - i really dont mean to cause any offence and we too would love to have some contribution to maximise any cash if we did make it through, but being realistic, i do doubt it. like i said in a previous post about this - sapol is a public/government body and will have to justify every cent they spend; they arent a private company sponsoring an IT executive or something like that.

huge thanks to doodleye for pasting his email onto the site - very helpful! will have to ring lee (on nights) and tell him he will have to gen up on all things south australian!!!

im sure any cricket fans will love the fact they get to go to lords...
Old Jan 21st 2005, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

hello Zoe100.

I totally agree with your comments. It would be very nice to have things paid or even part paid, but this aint going to happen in reality. I have already been looking at airfares, rental properties, mortages ect.

My hubby has been asking me 'what are they going to offer' for the uprooting of your whole live. I won that arguement...well we didnt have to apply...we could always pay even more money for the skilled migration visa, wait even longer and still get nothing.

I count myself very lucky if i get in and get the opportunity to go and make a better life for me and my family.

I wonder though...would SAPOL want all 60? applicants to arrive on Australia soil at the same time...to go through immigration.....help up to find our way to wherever we are staying, so they can keep tabs on us?

Going now...on nights...dont want to be late!!!!
Paula.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.