Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Apr 29th 2004, 9:56 am
Learning the ropes

SimonA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Weighing this one up after plenty of deliberation.

Myself and my partner are expecting the usual hurdles but could do with some pointers - i dont suppose im lucky enough to stumble across some one who's already made the move im planning.
Old Apr 29th 2004, 10:15 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally posted by SimonA

Myself and my partner are expecting the usual hurdles but could do with some pointers - i dont suppose im lucky enough to stumble across some one who's already made the move im planning.
If I were you i'd contact one of the Australian Police forces in Queensland, New South Wales or Victora and see if they are interested.

My friend in Oz is a Police officer, they get great salary, benefits and opportunitys. I'd say go for it, after graduating policy academy 3 years ago he's moved up the ranks quite quickly and now is on a very respectable salary. The bastard also gets Police credit union credit card with awesome rates and the best mortgage rate also. They really do take coure of you in government jobs in Oz, thats for sure!
Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:38 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

I have an ex Met friend who's now happily working in the Police in Queensland. He said the selection process was a breeze compared to England.
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

galenco is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a British Copper and we are planning to move to OZ. I have visited both Queensland Police and WA Police recruiting centres and had good feedback, however I asked them to put me in touch with ex UK Officers who I could talk to and they have not responded.
Any one out there made the move?
Old Oct 2nd 2004, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SimonA

I know a police officer who went WA and tried to get into the Police force but was told he was too old at 35. He is now working as a fireman.

Why not write to one of the police forces and see what their comments are, they may be able to give you some good pointers and tell you what you need and any problems you may face..
Old Oct 3rd 2004, 4:46 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I know a police officer who went WA and tried to get into the Police force but was told he was too old at 35. He is now working as a fireman.

Why not write to one of the police forces and see what their comments are, they may be able to give you some good pointers and tell you what you need and any problems you may face..
I believe there's a big difference between hoping to join an Australian police force from the UK if you already have Australian citizenship, permanent residence or NZ citizenship, or whether you're hoping to *migrate* as a police officer.

The latter option is by far the harder.

For those in the first group, check the websites of the Aus police forces and contact them directly to see if they have 'lateral entry' programs. I believe Queensland is the most active in this area.

Jeremy
Old Oct 19th 2004, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

chew is an unknown quantity at this point

galenco,came across this in todays paper,the Advertiser in Adelaide,may be of some help to you,

SOUTH AUSTRALIA POLICE - RECRUITING

South Australia Police
NOW RECRUITING
Call (08) 8204 2244
www.police.sa.gov.au

Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

From looking at their website, it looks like Australian citizenship or permanent resident status is required.

Jeremy

Originally Posted by chew
galenco,came across this in todays paper,the Advertiser in Adelaide,may be of some help to you,

SOUTH AUSTRALIA POLICE - RECRUITING

South Australia Police
NOW RECRUITING
Call (08) 8204 2244
www.police.sa.gov.au

Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

chew is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=JAJ]From looking at their website, it looks like Australian citizenship or permanent resident status is required.

----------------------------------------------

They are recruiting in the Uk at the moment,if he contacts them and finds out where they are holding interviews.I'm sure they will know who will be allowed in if the are offered a job
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:32 am
Just Joined

galenco is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=chew]
Originally Posted by JAJ
From looking at their website, it looks like Australian citizenship or permanent resident status is required.

They are recruiting in the Uk at the moment,if he contacts them and finds out where they are holding interviews.I'm sure they will know who will be allowed in if the are offered a job

Thanks chew, I will look into this although my wife is a hairdresser and we are applying for permanent residency. She Has been approved by TRA, and our apps have gone off so now its the waiting game.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 5:29 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=chew]
Originally Posted by JAJ

where can we get in touch with sa police if they are recruiting from uk??? have not heard anything about this and look all the sodding time!!
Old Nov 27th 2004, 8:27 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoe100
where can we get in touch with sa police if they are recruiting from uk??? have not heard anything about this and look all the sodding time!!
Email them, I did and they have given me more info. They are looking at roadshows early next year from what I have been told.
Old Nov 28th 2004, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by russmcp
Email them, I did and they have given me more info. They are looking at roadshows early next year from what I have been told.
i have been emailing the director of overseas emigration who have offices in adelaide - he says he is/will be handling applications and interviews on behalf of sa government and police authority - does this sound dodgy or correct to you guys??!! i mailed sa police recruitment but have not heard off them. could you maybe let me know what they said just with regards to timescales, how they will interview etc. am in perth in oz at the mo, staying with my folks. has strengthened my desire..!
Old Nov 28th 2004, 10:15 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zoe100
i have been emailing the director of overseas emigration who have offices in adelaide - he says he is/will be handling applications and interviews on behalf of sa government and police authority - does this sound dodgy or correct to you guys??!! i mailed sa police recruitment but have not heard off them. could you maybe let me know what they said just with regards to timescales, how they will interview etc. am in perth in oz at the mo, staying with my folks. has strengthened my desire..!
[email protected]

email that address, they will tell you that they are still looking into things.

Things are not set in stone, and likely not to be yet if ever as it needs to be approved, they may decide that these skills can be taught to people within SA
Old Nov 28th 2004, 11:01 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by russmcp
Things are not set in stone, and likely not to be yet if ever as it needs to be approved, they may decide that these skills can be taught to people within SA
Recruiting and training rookie police officers is easy, filling a gap in the ranks of experienced officers is less so.

SA will have to look at their needs. If they need *experienced* officers they will likely look first to other states or New Zealand. After that, they will then be possibly interested in sponsoring officers from other countries, and UK police officers would be among those sought.

Jeremy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.