Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I am glad we sorted that one out CCUZ. Didnt want to sound a kill joy but thats how i felt on the day. I know what you mean...there is very little information being dealt and the speculation and rumours are driving me insane. There is very little time before the supposed first batch go out. I wish they were a little more forward with info so at least you can semi prepare and do your research. .....what day did you go to London? how did you find the exam?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

On the Thursday, I thought it got progressively harder in most of the tests. It was one of those exams that you just couldn't tell how you got on, I flew down from Scotland, stayed overnight and have had to pay for an exercise ECG, just in case, the costs are mounting but we hope it will be worth it.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I too stayed in London for the night even though I had only got to travel 2 hrs by train to get there. thought it would be safer than trying to do it all in one day. It is reassuring to know that you too felt the same way as me. Lets just hope the results are out on 20th...i dont think i can stand all the questions 'how have you done' for much longer. my nerves are shreaded already.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

I agree, and there is so much to consider, panel medicals, house sale, transport of property/pets etc etc. A bit more info would help everyone. I hope you are successful. Have any of your colleagues applied?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I hope you are successful too. I believe i am the only one from Staffordshire to apply. There were a couple of people who were considering it but they hadnt quite got 3 yrs service, which is a shame. If you are not successful would you still be trying to get over there by other means. My hubby is a plumber and we were going to go out via his trade but that would probably mean me working in Tesco or whatever cos i dont know anything else...I joined straight from school.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

The Hastie Family is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by p&K
I have heard that we will not know the results of the test till the 20th at the earliest,
Deadlines seem to be getting later and later! Same thing happened with being informed of entrance exam. The info we have states that interviews will take place from 20th Jan to 20th Feb- surely they will give people more than one days notice of being successful for interview! Maybe the starting date of 21st March will be delayed too!
Carolyn
Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

Due to the type of visa and the dates of their courses I don't think so, but then again it would give more time to sort out everything if we were lucky enough to go.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

Just to add to the confusion!! I phoned Australia House today and was told to expect exam results 10 days after sitting the exam! The guy actually seemed a bit fed up with people phoning but if they posted accurate information on their web site then it would solve all our problems!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Question Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by The Hastie Family
Just to add to the confusion!! I phoned Australia House today and was told to expect exam results 10 days after sitting the exam! The guy actually seemed a bit fed up with people phoning but if they posted accurate information on their web site then it would solve all our problems!
Even more confusing, I phoned Scott Osters voicemail and he clearly states that it would be the 20th and to contact him by the 24th if he hadn't been in touch
Old Jan 14th 2005, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ccuz
Even more confusing, I phoned Scott Osters voicemail and he clearly states that it would be the 20th and to contact him by the 24th if he hadn't been in touch
What number did you call? The number I used 020 887 5154 wasn't a voice mail -just answered by a fed up Aussie!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Scott Oster
Development Officer - Business and Migration
State of South Australia
The Australia Centre
Strand
London WC2B 4LG
Tel: +44 (0) 20 7887 5154
Fax: +44 (0) 20 7887 5332
Email: [email protected]

Same number? As you rightly said if they uppdated sapols website or made a post on the Aus House website then they could answer our queries and keep us updated.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:20 am
p&K
Just Joined

p&K is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I am finding it incredible that there is so little information being given to us. When they do tell us something it contradicts with what someone else has been told.
I know we are all desperate to get to Australia but i hope they are better employers than recruiters.
Perhaps they should remember that they need us just as much as we need them!!
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:39 am
Just Joined

JM&D is an unknown quantity at this point

I think they are relying on the fact that we are all desperate to get over there and we will all put up with anything in order to realise the dream.

I spent a year over there in 1988 and had a cracking time. Career breaks were not available at the time so I had to resign and rejoin when I returned to the UK.

On a practical level, I have held back from the ECG at the moment....it would be pointless forking out even more money if a 'NOT INTERESTED' result is recieved. If the reply is to the contrary, it can quickly be arranged id necessary......everything else is currently being delayed so it seems to be the best option.
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

Unfortunately the only ecg appointment I could get without paying £395 was this week, still £120 though. As with everyone that isn't the issue it's the lack of reliable information. You would think that it would be easier to update on the web than to take endless calls with the same questions.

I'm also considering a career break but how does that effect pensions?????????
Old Jan 14th 2005, 10:55 am
p&K
Just Joined

p&K is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ccuz
Unfortunately the only ecg appointment I could get without paying £395 was this week, still £120 though. As with everyone that isn't the issue it's the lack of reliable information. You would think that it would be easier to update on the web than to take endless calls with the same questions.

I'm also considering a career break but how does that effect pensions?????????
In relation to the pension I have been told that your force will calculate the length of your career break against the loss of contributions, they will then give you a new monthly figure on your return to work so that you can get your pension back on track.

My force currently has no career breaks available, I dont know where you work but I know of seven officers in my own station that have applied for this!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.