Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Police
Reload this Page >

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Old Jan 12th 2005, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

ccuz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

When are you sitting the test aeb78?
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:11 am
GMC1

aeb78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Thank you to all who supplied me with the info
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

anyone sitting the test tomorrow, sapol reps supposedly arrived today!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nancy7872
Hi aeb78,

Strange goings on at SAPOL, I can't really help you on the part "has anyone else not heard". However I would say - if it is really what you want, To live in Australia, then I think you answered your own question, that you think you should go under your girlfriends skills as a Hairdresser.

You can always apply out there, we did it under a seperate visa, but it just so happened that this SAPOL chance came up so we thought it was a good opportunity to apply also. They said it doesn't matter if you have your own visa, and lets face it they are not helping where cost is concerned. Also the benefits are that if you got PR under your own route then you can live where you want - (job location dependant) Our agent warned us that the SIR Visa comes with some restrictions as it was designed to try and populate barron un-populated regions, so you could end up being told where to live - I think. Also if you don't like the job over there, you can leave before 2 years and not get deported!

So go for it, it seems there have been some errors with SAPOL along the way for some candidates which doesn't bode well, but if you really want to go then get form filling and be grateful your partner has the job on the list! My Husbands job skills dropped off the list 2 weeks after DIMIA accepted the application so we are counting our blessings!

Good luck.

re the sir visa..
if you apply for a sir visa for sa, then you choose where is sa you live - no one will tell you where to live. unlike some of the other states - tassie excluded - sa will accept aplicants who qualify for ANY job on the skilled list, and state that after you have lived in sa for two continuous years, and have been employed in ANY job within sa for twelve months of those two years they will enable you to become a permanent visa holder, either thru rsms or stni.

so you could go out based on the fact that yoru job attracts 40 or 50 points on the skilled list (if you had a 60 point job you would prob have 120 points, ie enough to for for a full skilled visa and not need bother with the sir visa) and your other points total 110. you get to sa, and want to live in adelaide. you live there for two years and you work as a cleaner. sa say that after two years of living there, and if you have worked for one year then they will sponsor you to stay. thats how an agent explained it to me.
if you wanted to go to nsw, nt, qld or vic, then its different - they have limitations on what jobs off the sol list they will accept in the first place, and if you are ok on that front then you wouldnt be able to live in say, sydney or melbourne, or brisbane or the gold coast. these areas from the govt perspective are already well developed and thus they choose not to take sir visas. and as for wa.. well they havent even taken up the sir visa yet, but when they do, you wouldnt be allowed to live or work within the metro area of perth, as again that is already well developed.

my boyfriend spoke with scott oster from sapol last week at his testing, and scott said that sa is facing a population crisis, or at least will be in 50 years time. hence why sa want loads of people. as for the police there, he said it is the same as uk with lots of officers coming up to retirement age and retention problems. and lee was also told about the fact that they are taking 60 something in march and then a load more every couple of months until they take 300.

think oz house need to sort out how many they are taking - saying that, they must know, otherwise they wont know how stringent to be on marking exams etc. plus the fact that you can still download and apply after the original date apps had to be in by dec the whatever-it-was: all that must mean that they are taking more than 60.

surely..??!!!

and as for them paying for us to move.. well quite frankly i wouldnt care if they paid not a penny, no one forced us to fill out the forms to apply! the police over there will be just as strapped for money as our forces (sorry, services) are, i doubt someone applying for sapol within oz has any of their fares or expenses paid for if they apply and have to fly into adelaide, same as if someone in scotland applied for the met. people who have been sponsored to work in oz by their companies probably work for private companies who dont have to justify their budgets etc to local or central government, nor use public funding.

if they pay for fares that would be great (as it would also mean that we passed...!!) but im not holding out any hope or expectations: we chose to apply knowing it wouldnt come cheap...
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by zoe100
re the sir visa..
if you apply for a sir visa for sa, then you choose where is sa you live - no one will tell you where to live. unlike some of the other states - tassie excluded - sa will accept aplicants who qualify for ANY job on the skilled list, and state that after you have lived in sa for two continuous years, and have been employed in ANY job within sa for twelve months of those two years they will enable you to become a permanent visa holder, either thru rsms or stni.

so you could go out based on the fact that yoru job attracts 40 or 50 points on the skilled list (if you had a 60 point job you would prob have 120 points, ie enough to for for a full skilled visa and not need bother with the sir visa) and your other points total 110. you get to sa, and want to live in adelaide. you live there for two years and you work as a cleaner. sa say that after two years of living there, and if you have worked for one year then they will sponsor you to stay. thats how an agent explained it to me.
if you wanted to go to nsw, nt, qld or vic, then its different - they have limitations on what jobs off the sol list they will accept in the first place, and if you are ok on that front then you wouldnt be able to live in say, sydney or melbourne, or brisbane or the gold coast. these areas from the govt perspective are already well developed and thus they choose not to take sir visas. and as for wa.. well they havent even taken up the sir visa yet, but when they do, you wouldnt be allowed to live or work within the metro area of perth, as again that is already well developed.

my boyfriend spoke with scott oster from sapol last week at his testing, and scott said that sa is facing a population crisis, or at least will be in 50 years time. hence why sa want loads of people. as for the police there, he said it is the same as uk with lots of officers coming up to retirement age and retention problems. and lee was also told about the fact that they are taking 60 something in march and then a load more every couple of months until they take 300.

think oz house need to sort out how many they are taking - saying that, they must know, otherwise they wont know how stringent to be on marking exams etc. plus the fact that you can still download and apply after the original date apps had to be in by dec the whatever-it-was: all that must mean that they are taking more than 60.

surely..??!!!

and as for them paying for us to move.. well quite frankly i wouldnt care if they paid not a penny, no one forced us to fill out the forms to apply! the police over there will be just as strapped for money as our forces (sorry, services) are, i doubt someone applying for sapol within oz has any of their fares or expenses paid for if they apply and have to fly into adelaide, same as if someone in scotland applied for the met. people who have been sponsored to work in oz by their companies probably work for private companies who dont have to justify their budgets etc to local or central government, nor use public funding.

if they pay for fares that would be great (as it would also mean that we passed...!!) but im not holding out any hope or expectations: we chose to apply knowing it wouldnt come cheap...

i agree zoe100, just the opportunity would be enough, no one forced us to apply
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:04 pm
Just Joined

JM&D is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with the above but surely it would be prudent for the applicants to be told exactly how many positions are available.

A lot of time/effort is being put into the applications/exams/fitness tests and we are surviving on rumour.

I, personally, would swim to Oz if necessary as I believe it would give the kids the perfect lifestyle. Due to all of the uncertainty, I have held back from explaining anything to them - why cause them worry.

Anyway, back to the Slimfast - good luck to everyone - we hear by Monday I believe.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

zoe100 will become famous soon enoughzoe100 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Originally Posted by JM&D
I agree with the above but surely it would be prudent for the applicants to be told exactly how many positions are available.

A lot of time/effort is being put into the applications/exams/fitness tests and we are surviving on rumour.

I, personally, would swim to Oz if necessary as I believe it would give the kids the perfect lifestyle. Due to all of the uncertainty, I have held back from explaining anything to them - why cause them worry.

Anyway, back to the Slimfast - good luck to everyone - we hear by Monday I believe.

as i said in my earlier post, we do all need to know numbers.. AND we also need to know if there will be more than one intake date! or is everyone here able to sell houses in double quick time or happy to leave partners and maybe kids (or at least two moggies!) behind to sort everything out whilst they go off to start training?
maybe itsjust me who wouldnt want to be left here...

judging what scott oster has said to lots of diff people querying the above we shouldnt worry too much, being as hes said theyre taking on up to 300 and with various start dates.. but then you have to take into account that email someone on this forum had from someone else in oz hose saying thered be 60 in march, and MAYBE another 60 but thats it, and they didnt know where the rumours were coming from.... THEYRE COMING FROM YOUR COLLEAGUE WHO IS SEEMINGLY RUNNING THE SHOW!!!

sorry, feeling stroppy now............. aaaaaaaaaah

jm&d - maybe we could all share a huge tub of vaseline and swim together..!
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Zoe,

Agree with you but lets hold on the vaseline for awhile.

A lot of discussions are taking place about leaving wives/girlfriends/partners at home to sell up whilst the other half does his/her training. Not actually condusive to happy family life.

I was initially well chuffed to get through the paper sift.........until I sat the exam when I realised that EVERYONE got through the sift. I have now taken the view that it wont happen and will only start to believe the dream could come true when told after the interview.

At least the applications/exam papers are now actually with the SA Police...hopefully things will get a lot clearer soon.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:48 pm
p&K
Just Joined

p&K is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I have heard that we will not know the results of the test till the 20th at the earliest,
Old Jan 13th 2005, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by p&K
I have heard that we will not know the results of the test till the 20th at the earliest,

From who??
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:19 pm
p&K
Just Joined

p&K is an unknown quantity at this point

From who??
If you ring Scotts number at Aus house, his answer phone message states that it is unlikely that the reults will be available until the 20th Jan, if you have not heard by the 24th you should ring him.

I was impressed with this as we have booked a medical (as advised on the day of the exam)to the cost of £120 for the 20th.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

Hello Everyone,
I too sat the exam on 7th January and found it bizarre. Dont know how I did really, just have to sit and hope. I hope everyone else felt the same as I did when they left Australia House that evening? Quite dejected but keeping a brave face on for family and friends. I found it really strange how many police officers there were with rank and some with very little time left to serve in this country, before they could retire. How does that work then?? surely if these people get selected, their working life in SA would be very short. There is a HUGE difference between a Ch.Insp or Insp pay in this country compared to a starting cadet salary in SA.... Dont want to be a kill joy or be over critical but I dont understand WHY.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

I understand your feelings. However as an Inspector with 15 years service I can still work for at least 20 years. I have 3 young children and its not all about the money its about what SA has to offer. Perhaps there are others in a similar situation to my family.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

fg02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Police Officers who are planning to move out to Australia ?

I understand where you are coming from and i am not critising. I have got 11 years in and have two small children myself. I want the best for my children and I cringe at the thought of them not being able to get a decent job or not beable to get on the property ladder...or even worse get in with the wrong crowd and well, we see it everyday...dont we.
I was surprised at seeing the more senior ranked officers who were coming up to retire...literally less than 5 years to do. Thats what i was getting at....I think if that was me i would not be wanting to go through training school and wrestling around with drunken folk on a Friday and Saturday night.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

I know what you mean, I hope that everyone that wants to go achieves their dream, disappointed to hear that the results are delayed, appears that there is esting tomorrow and they are still taking applications. The rumours aren't helping and definitive details from sapol and scott would help us all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.