Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Oddities in the Philippines

Oddities in the Philippines

Old Feb 29th 2020, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oddities in the Philippines

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Today we find out that the cock was a bit more agile than your average retiree cock and has escaped his enclosure, I can only assume that he escaped straight into a 10 litre cooking casserole all by himself, taking a few tasty vegetables with him.
I will retract my previous statement, the retiree cock has returned to his beloved females and apparently we now have a female sitting on two eggs, so just to recover the outlay, these eggs had better be good as they have cost me nearly P1,400 each. For some reason the wife still thinks this is a good deal.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Was a sponsor at a friends wedding at the weekend past. Shall avoid another if I can help it, far too much religion and too little reception. Started at 09:00 in the church, 2.5 hrs later we escaped the church to the reception and an hour and a quarter later everyone was heading home having had something to eat, one low alcohol beer and one dance by the bride and groom. During one of the priests longer speeches the scruffy church dog sneaked off behind the font for a shit and then went and sat in front of the alter and started to lick his equipment in it's full glory, during this period a large sparrow type bird shit on the best man while the handing over of the rings was going on. No one else seemed bothered by the animal activities in the church.

Last edited by Stokkevn; Mar 1st 2020 at 12:26 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2020, 12:20 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Was a sponsor at a friends wedding at the weekend past. Shall avoid another if I can help it, far too much religion and too little reception. Started at 09:00 in the church, 2.5 hrs later we escaped the church to the reception and an hour and a quarter later everyone was heading home having had something to eat, one low alcohol beer and one dance by the bride and groom. During one of the priests longer speeches the scruffy church dog sneaked off behind the font for a shit and then went and sat in front of the alter and started to lick his equipment in it's full glory, during this period a large sparrow type bird shit on the best man during the handing over of the rings. No one else seemed bother by the animal activities in the church.
You tell the best stories about life in the Philippines, they always make me chuckle
Old Mar 1st 2020, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Was a sponsor at a friends wedding at the weekend past. Shall avoid another if I can help it, far too much religion and too little reception. Started at 09:00 in the church, 2.5 hrs later we escaped the church to the reception and an hour and a quarter later everyone was heading home having had something to eat, one low alcohol beer and one dance by the bride and groom. During one of the priests longer speeches the scruffy church dog sneaked off behind the font for a shit and then went and sat in front of the alter and started to lick his equipment in it's full glory, during this period a large sparrow type bird shit on the best man while the handing over of the rings was going on. No one else seemed bothered by the animal activities in the church.
Hmmm. An omen may be?
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

The local attention to hygiene is somewhat lax. This morning while passing the abattoir(??) a tricycle came out with a dead pig slit open lying on the floor next to a bucket of blood and another of guts. Going round the corner the pig slide off the floor and under the wheel of the tricycle, he stopped, walked back and grabbed the pig by one leg and dragged it along the gravel track back to the tricycle and continued to the local market, by the time I got to the market the seller was wiping it down with what used to be a white cloth ( many moons ago ) and unable to remove the tyre mark proceeded to chop it up for sale.

Not the only incident like that a few years ago a dog managed to swipe a pork chop from the counter, dog was chased by the owner who recovered the chop, it was wiped down on her sleeve and replaced in amongst the other chops on the counter. Moral of that story is do not buy pork chops from the first row on the counter.
Old Mar 2nd 2020, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Just love your stories. Pls keep 'em coming! You should seriously think about some of yours published.
Your wicked humour reminds me somewhat of 'The Misadventures of Mr Badshot', the tales of which never cease to put a huge smile on my face.
Old Mar 10th 2020, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Two contrasting stories...not exactly oddities.

Last night coming back home after a swift half at my local, I found that my mobile was missing. Traced my steps back to the sari store where I had got off. Nothing. One of the girls here contacted my local....nothing. I then had visions of having to purchase a new one and then reload all the apps etc. The girls here kept ringing my phone....no answer. And then hallelujah . It was answered after an hour or so by the guy who brought me home on the tricycle. Within 15 minutes he was here and gave me my phone back. Obviously he was rewarded. It just shows there are honest folk about here. Probably worth about 3k at the pawnshop.

A very good friend of mine had her son admitted to hospital last night....and because the hospital was full, they he was put in a bed with two other kids. Each child had one helper around the bed. Because she was with her mother, one of them had to stand outside. And people criticize the NHS...

Regards
Old Sep 6th 2020, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

I came across something this weekend that I thought I would never see in the Philippines - someone that SAVED money for something they wanted. She is my wife's niece ( several times removed, I think ) and about 10 years old and is saving for a mobile phone, she has made a 'piggy bank' out of a piece of bamboo which is screwed to the wall of her room. If my wife gives her P100 she will spend P5 on sweets and save the rest.

I have now said that I will cover all her school expenses until she finishes and if she does a degree that will be covered as well. Kids like this should be encouraged here, they are few and far between.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 1:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Things do seem to be done here a bit differently. Speaking with my American friend who had his leg amputated just below the knee a few months ago, he was telling me about the operation, local anesthetic and the surgeon(?) sat on his leg and did the amputation with a B&Q type hacksaw.
Old Sep 21st 2020, 1:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Things do seem to be done here a bit differently. Speaking with my American friend who had his leg amputated just below the knee a few months ago, he was telling me about the operation, local anesthetic and the surgeon(?) sat on his leg and did the amputation with a B&Q type hacksaw.

I've come over all queer.
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

abner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond reputeabner has a reputation beyond repute

Old school.

Assuming the amputation was truly necessary, that's a cheap and effective method. Though personally I'd have asked about nitrous oxide over top of the local, also cheap and effective.

What was the post-op care like? Any complications?
Old Sep 23rd 2020, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by abner
Old school.

Assuming the amputation was truly necessary, that's a cheap and effective method. Though personally I'd have asked about nitrous oxide over top of the local, also cheap and effective.

What was the post-op care like? Any complications?
After care - was sent home after a few days with half a bucket of tablets and creams, I think more luck than judgement there were no complications.
Old Sep 26th 2020, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

David Mashael is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Oddities in the Philippines

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I've come over all queer.

Ooh sit down Frank
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just seen that the Philippines actually has a law ( RA 9175 ) entitled Act Regulating the Ownership, Possession, Sale, Importation and Use of Chain Saw
Old Mar 3rd 2021, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

......and there was at least one arrest:

Violator of RA 9175 and PD 705 Nabbed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.