Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Oddities in the Philippines

Oddities in the Philippines

Old Oct 26th 2019, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oddities in the Philippines

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Thought I had posted this but must have got lost in space.

I have managed to upset a young girl ( approx 5 yo ) in the market a couple of days ago, her parents run one of the veg stalls and at the back was a cage with a couple of small rabbits in it, good idea as they can feed them up for nearly nothing as they eat the old veg. I asked them how much per kilo - how was I to know they were pets. Here the only thing with 4 legs that is safe is the dining room table but if you mentioned eating rabbit or pigeon you get the same look as you would get from a Brit if you mentioned tasty BBQ dog.
Cultural differences are quite amazing aren't they. Here in France, rabbit or pigeon are still looked upon as a gastronomic delight, depending on how well they are prepared and cooked of course.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Cultural differences are quite amazing aren't they. Here in France, rabbit or pigeon are still looked upon as a gastronomic delight, depending on how well they are prepared and cooked of course.
It's because rabbit has teeth like rats and mice.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
It's because rabbit has teeth like rats and mice.
Nothing wrong with rats on the menu, as long as they come from the rice field and not the sewage pipe.
Old Oct 27th 2019, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with rats on the menu, as long as they come from the rice field and not the sewage pipe.
I'll leave it to you to convince the locals.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I'll leave it to you to convince the locals.
Round here I have seen them take home dead rats from the rice fields at harvest time, I assume destined for the pot.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I saw an oddity a while ago, maybe should be someone to be considered for the Darwin awards. I saw a motorbike driving down the road with the headlight with a red cover making it look like a rear light. I assume there will be no surprise in the family when he meets a bus coming the other way at night.
Old Nov 23rd 2019, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I was following a motorbike the other day, both the driver and the girl riding pillion had their helmets over their arm. The driver then handed his to the girl behind so she had a helmet on both arms.
Old Nov 24th 2019, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LocIndExpRel
I'm not sure I could survive in the Philippines. On the surface it may seem compatible with westerners but it really is a very different culture.
You just work on the principle that what ever it is, it will go wrong and ensure you always have a back-up plan ready for when it does. Keeps you young and on your toes.
Old Dec 27th 2019, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

We just got nailed by the storm that went through Capiz on Xmas day. On a sunny Boxing day there was a bunch of residents up the road digging a ditch along the road. One would have thought that the time for digging a ditch would be before the storm arrived.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wife persuaded me ( and I fell for it again ) that she wanted to breed native chickens and sell them. Initially we ( that means I ) had a hutch built for our three ( 2 hens and a cock ) to live in. Within a few days I had to have a second hutch built to accommodate the cock because he was apparently "Annoying" the hens as they do when they are trying to mate. So last week we had two hens in one hutch and a sex starved cock in another and my wife still expecting chicks. This week the wife has got fed up with cleaning out the hutches, buying food and cleaning up the garden when they escaped. Apparently now we will be having BBQ'd chicken this weekend, they had better be bloody good as they were purchased for P320 each 3 weeks ago but after accommodation and food costs they now cost about P770 each and they are not any bigger than when we bought them.

If anyone's wife says "I have an idea" just run
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant Stokkevn
Old Jan 4th 2020, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Update on the chicken BBQ this evening, this turned into a cheese sandwich for me. Earlier I handed her-in-doors a chicken, a knife and a chopping block, her newly discovered farming expertise seemed to disappear as quickly as it arrived. The chicken was returned to the hutch and the knife and chopping block was used to open a packet of instant noodles. So it looks like we have just gained three new pets that is until I decide that it is time for chicken curry.
Old Jan 6th 2020, 2:41 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Update on the chicken BBQ this evening, this turned into a cheese sandwich for me. Earlier I handed her-in-doors a chicken, a knife and a chopping block, her newly discovered farming expertise seemed to disappear as quickly as it arrived. The chicken was returned to the hutch and the knife and chopping block was used to open a packet of instant noodles. So it looks like we have just gained three new pets that is until I decide that it is time for chicken curry.
Old Jan 14th 2020, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Just seen a headline in a local newspaper "Metro Manila's air quality gets better after Taal ashfall", I wonder what it was like before
Old Jan 15th 2020, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute

yes all the particles that have been damp have wrapped themselves around the ash particles so dropped down fast and turned into a form of cement rain, i dread to think what it is doing in the lungs!!

Our car has had to be pressure washed to stop the ash cement removing the paint, any attempt at wiping will just scratch and scour. This morning i have been on the roof washing out the gutters which have flowed thick sludge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.