Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Oddities in the Philippines

Oddities in the Philippines

Old Oct 5th 2019, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

bestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nicebestvue is just really nice
Default Re: Oddities in the Philippines

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
I've ridden five on a bike many times before, plus the shopping in the basket and bags hanging off the mirrors
that's just the norm....☺
Old Oct 5th 2019, 3:07 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bestvue
that's just the norm....☺
Indeed. Wouldn't do it now , but at the time needs must.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Got burgled last night ( so 3 effing useless dogs now for sale ), so her in doors and I went to the police station to report it. The police ever so nice but said as there was no actual proof we had been burgled ( i.e. witnesses, CCTV etc ) so there was no reportable crime. I asked that had I caught the toe-rag, killed him, cooked him and fed him to my dogs there would also be no crime, as the only witness would be in the dogs dinner bowl. After a few coughs and splutters he admitted that technically I was right. I then told him that it might be worth letting the local villains know my thoughts on this idea. Sheepish look and he admitted that it may do more good than them investigating it and would put the word out.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
Got burgled last night ...
Sorry to hear about that Stokkevn. It happened to me when I lived in UK back in the mid 80’s. The thieves broke in through the front door in broad daylight when I was at work. The police did actually turn up at that stage but as is so often the case, they told me the chances of catching the offender/s were negligible. They were right. Fortunately I had insurance so most of it was covered from the financial aspect. However, the feeling of intrusion and outrage remained for a long time.
Old Oct 7th 2019, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Got burgled last night ( so 3 effing useless dogs now for sale ), so her in doors and I went to the police station to report it. The police ever so nice but said as there was no actual proof we had been burgled ( i.e. witnesses, CCTV etc ) so there was no reportable crime. I asked that had I caught the toe-rag, killed him, cooked him and fed him to my dogs there would also be no crime, as the only witness would be in the dogs dinner bowl. After a few coughs and splutters he admitted that technically I was right. I then told him that it might be worth letting the local villains know my thoughts on this idea. Sheepish look and he admitted that it may do more good than them investigating it and would put the word out.
I guess the PNP have different MO depended on where you are. When we were burgled back in December of last year (wifes purse was nicked from her handbag,) the police came out immediately and the following day. The offender was never caught.

Regards
Old Oct 7th 2019, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
I guess the PNP have different MO depended on where you are. When we were burgled back in December of last year (wifes purse was nicked from her handbag,) the police came out immediately and the following day. The offender was never caught.

Regards
When we got to the police station it was about to start the Monday flag raising ceremony and my oldest dog had decided at that point to hump the police station female dog right in front of the flag pole. So that may have swayed the requirements. Tonight lots of dangling 220V bare cables above the back wall.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 4:36 am
Forum Regular

Feidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond reputeFeidlimid has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this one falls under the hilarious, odd, lazy or just plain daft variety. Our neighbour, who has a garden and a surplus of large plant pots, very kindly gave us some of her large pots for herbs etc. One of them still had a withered shrub in it and she explained that her gardener had re-potted it last year but the plant hadn’t taken off in the larger pot.
When my wife removed the withered shrub, she discovered that it was still attached to its original pot. In other words, when instructed to replant the scrub to a larger pot, her gardener had simply left the shrub in it’s original pot, dropped it into the larger pot and topped the whole thing up with more soil; so we had a pot within a pot. Get your head around that one!
Old Oct 11th 2019, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
Not sure if this one falls under the hilarious, odd, lazy or just plain daft variety. Our neighbour, who has a garden and a surplus of large plant pots, very kindly gave us some of her large pots for herbs etc. One of them still had a withered shrub in it and she explained that her gardener had re-potted it last year but the plant hadn’t taken off in the larger pot.
When my wife removed the withered shrub, she discovered that it was still attached to its original pot. In other words, when instructed to replant the scrub to a larger pot, her gardener had simply left the shrub in it’s original pot, dropped it into the larger pot and topped the whole thing up with more soil; so we had a pot within a pot. Get your head around that one!
Don't tell me..........
And originally with that plant the gardener was hoping to cultivate.......... 'pot'!
Old Oct 11th 2019, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Don't tell me..........
And originally with that plant the gardener was hoping to cultivate.......... 'pot'!
Impressive Tweedpipe, I like that thought.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Feidlimid
I thought it had only happened to me. A while ago my wife told the gardener to plant a couple of plants that were in pots in the garden, same result as yourself. I only found out some time later when I was looking for the pots to reuse.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

I thought it had only happened to me. A while ago my wife told the gardener to plant a couple of plants that were in pots in the garden, same result as yourself. I only found out some time later when I was looking for the pots to reuse.
... and here's me thinking Tweedpipe was just trying to be funny but it seems that ‘growing pot’ is a cottage industry here.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Don't tell me..........
I bought some seeds a while ago in Robinsons, did not have my glasses but the picture looked like lavender, which I had been after for a while. Got home, sowed the seeds and waited. They all came up but the leaves did not look like lavender. Looked at the packet and found out they were called Salvia, having no idea what Salvia was a quick internet check came up with Salvia is a drug that produces visual hallucinogenic effects similar to those people can experience with narcotics such as LSD. It was only then that I noticed the dog looking very happy with some leaves hanging out of his mouth. Not too sure what I should do now, destroy it or open a stall in the local market. So if whoever started the thread "Income Suggestions" is interested in a new business PM me, I still have a load of seeds.
Old Oct 11th 2019, 2:52 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

I bought some seeds a while ago in Robinsons, did not have my glasses but the picture looked like lavender, which I had been after for a while. Got home, sowed the seeds and waited. They all came up but the leaves did not look like lavender. Looked at the packet and found out they were called Salvia, having no idea what Salvia was a quick internet check came up with Salvia is a drug that produces visual hallucinogenic effects similar to those people can experience with narcotics such as LSD. It was only then that I noticed the dog looking very happy with some leaves hanging out of his mouth. Not too sure what I should do now, destroy it or open a stall in the local market. So if whoever started the thread "Income Suggestions" is interested in a new business PM me, I still have a load of seeds.
Many kinds of salvias, they're basically your common garden sage in the mint family. The one you're referring to is Salvia divinorum. Tried it a few times back in the day. Quite short lived compared to LSD, but it's a stronger hallucinogen. It will definitely take you some place else. I'd be surprised if that's the one for sale in the market. Only one way to find out though!
Old Oct 12th 2019, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
Many kinds of salvias, they're basically your common garden sage in the mint family. The one you're referring to is Salvia divinorum. Tried it a few times back in the day. Quite short lived compared to LSD, but it's a stronger hallucinogen. It will definitely take you some place else. I'd be surprised if that's the one for sale in the market. Only one way to find out though!
Checked the leaf and flowers against Salvia and as far as I can see it is Divinorum. No wonder the dog was acting a bit strange
Old Oct 26th 2019, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thought I had posted this but must have got lost in space.

I have managed to upset a young girl ( approx 5 yo ) in the market a couple of days ago, her parents run one of the veg stalls and at the back was a cage with a couple of small rabbits in it, good idea as they can feed them up for nearly nothing as they eat the old veg. I asked them how much per kilo - how was I to know they were pets. Here the only thing with 4 legs that is safe is the dining room table but if you mentioned eating rabbit or pigeon you get the same look as you would get from a Brit if you mentioned tasty BBQ dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.