Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Philippines
Reload this Page >

Oddities in the Philippines

Oddities in the Philippines

Old Nov 16th 2021, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond reputemikemike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oddities in the Philippines

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
PAGASA seems to have a warped outlook on how the months of the year work. Looking for the coldest time of year in Philippines, PAGASA state "Based on the average of all weather stations in the Philippines, excluding Baguio, the mean annual temperature is 26.6o C. The coolest months fall in January with a mean temperature of 25.5oC" I was just wondering how many months are there in January here.
Ah that will be the 13 th month
Old Nov 17th 2021, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikemike
Ah that will be the 13 th month
Big queues at the atm's yesterday, at least the one's with cash. We worked out that it must be 13th month. Bet it will all be gone before the end of the week.
Old Nov 17th 2021, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebie
So yesterday El Presidente says face shields no longer required. Widely reported last night in Daily Inquirer, PhilStar CNN , Manila Times etc.. so I enter SM Makati this morning without shield happy as life is now more normal.
Two guards tell me to put my shield on and basically physically tried to stop me entering. I asked if they were aware of the Presidents ruling and that their refusal to let me in was totally wrong. The older security fellow told me " we are still awaiting official orders from the boss."..
I suggested they read the news ( showed them a screenshot of President saying Face shields no longer required )" and if their boss had a problem, he should contact Malacanyang
They went to delay someone else with no shield, at which point I walked in to continue my business. Yet they were harassing every Filipino and making them wear their shields... sometimes Filipinos are extremely ( too ) passive when confronted by a person in uniform.
I hear what you are saying.... but the guards are only doing their job as instructed. I personally wouldn't bother with that hassle.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Philosophical 11
I hear what you are saying.... but the guards are only doing their job as instructed. I personally wouldn't bother with that hassle.
Perhaps where you live you dont and havent had to face Face Shield Nazis......in Makati they are/were everywhere.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

Face Shield Nazis are doing their best to reduce the problem of trying to find an environmentally friendly method of disposing of discarded face shields.
This nonsense only prevails in the Land of 7,000 Islands, and a few more if you are inclined to be pedantic.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 3:03 am
Forum Regular

freebie is an unknown quantity at this point

But wait.. theres a small ray of hope

https://nolisoli.ph/97659/face-shiel..._medium=direct
Old Nov 18th 2021, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Philosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond reputePhilosophical 11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebie
Perhaps where you live you dont and havent had to face Face Shield Nazis......in Makati they are/were everywhere.
Certainly wouldn't call them Nazis.... but just ordinary people trying to do their job as instructed.

I went to my supermarket the day after I posted and face shields were no longer required. About time too. Almost every one in the store had face shields before but perched on top of their heads. I think the Philippines were just about the only country in the world to come up with this idiotic idea. Same as pillion rider shields.
Old Nov 18th 2021, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Bealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond reputeBealinehx has a reputation beyond repute

P11 you are quite right. Someone very high up has made a lot of money from these idiotic scams.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

EnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishRed has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good oddity you may want to take afvantage of.

We were in Market Place (supermarket) recently getting some essential supplies in for the festive season (wine and spirits!). Looking at the gin they had a one litre bottle of Tanqueray Malacca Gin for Php 1579, there was also 75cl bottle of Tanqeray at php 750. Shelf below there were bags with a bottle of each for Php 1270, ie Php 309 cheaper than a one litre of the Malacca.

When we asked the staff how this works they just said it was a special offer, several bags into the trolley and made sure the price was the same when scanned at the till. Now have enough Gin to keep us going for a fair few months.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute

You were lucky, I saw a special offer on the crisps that I like that were marked at P120 each or two for P250.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond reputeGazza-d has a reputation beyond repute

I like to drink calamansi concentrate, diluted obviously, and at the local supermarket it's cheaper to buy multiple 500ml bottles than the bigger 750ml bottles. The other thing to watch is the buy one take one. It's seldom two for the price of one but the take one is often some small item taped to the side.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
I like to drink calamansi concentrate, diluted obviously, and at the local supermarket it's cheaper to buy multiple 500ml bottles than the bigger 750ml bottles. The other thing to watch is the buy one take one. It's seldom two for the price of one but the take one is often some small item taped to the side.
Slightly off the topic, but I used to put that diluted concentrate, either calamansi or more often dalandan, in a big mug of tea in the morning. But it came to be expensive, scarce and is a bit messy. So now use local honey with juice from lemons....from the market as they are exepensive in the supermarket.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Raffin
Slightly off the topic, but I used to put that diluted concentrate, either calamansi or more often dalandan, in a big mug of tea in the morning. But it came to be expensive, scarce and is a bit messy. So now use local honey with juice from lemons....from the market as they are exepensive in the supermarket.
We bought a 1.4 litres bottle of lemon juice from SnR yesterday for 219 pesos. Just add honey but the honey is quite expensive and most honey here is fake honey
Old Dec 12th 2021, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Raffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond reputeRaffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gazza-d
We bought a 1.4 litres bottle of lemon juice from SnR yesterday for 219 pesos. Just add honey but the honey is quite expensive and most honey here is fake honey
Yes, there's some really pricey local and imported honey on sale here. Don't know about that fake honey claim. But SM have one or two cheap brands for cooking use and I find them good for mixing in diluted juice. Not thick and not too sweet.
Yes, you can buy bottles of juice but you can't beat the clean taste you get from the fruit. Slice in a jug and add hot water repeatedly until it loses taste.

PS I find that the cheap honey I am using is actually "honey flavoured syrup". Apart from being cheaper I suppose it makes it flow easily for cooking. Anyway I would guess those concentrates also have syrup. Doesn't worry me.

Last edited by Raffin; Dec 12th 2021 at 9:53 pm.
Old Dec 12th 2021, 10:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pure honey so much healthier than sugar. Just look at the overweight middle class under 18's here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.