Was it all worth it?

Old May 25th 2015, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was it all worth it?

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Sure we could sit in every night in our dressing gowns and slippers watching My Kitchen Rules, but that's not a life I want, so I go out and seek something different. Perhaps it's the people you are meeting

Wow, you mean there are other things one can do on a cold, wet and windy Monday night?

To my recall there's only been two occasions where the country has been truly outraged and close to civil unrest; once when they changed the time of Coro to make way for Masterchef and most recently cos Campbell got the axe. I think that's a sign of how interesting most people's lives are.
Old May 25th 2015, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Go for a night out on a Mon, Tue. Wed, Thurs or Sunday,
Every where is empty after 7.30 pm
Old May 25th 2015, 8:58 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You get a lot of people moving to New Zealand, also Canada for a better lifestyle, but it's also people who might have been boring (bland) in the UK. They could have just moved to another part of the UK (example Northern Ireland or Scotland) and would have probably had the same options, but New Zealand sounds more exciting.
That's a pretty big generalization. Without knowing a persons individual circumstances you can't really say whether they would have been better off in another part of the UK. I have absolutely no interest in living in Ireland or Scotland for many reasons (I don't want to turn this into an NZ vs another country debate) and certainly haven't moved to NZ just because it was the more exciting option. Sure there is an element of excitement, I would be lying if I said there wasn't. But for us and many other people the options aren't the same no matter how many times people beat the "oh you can do that in the UK" drum.
Old May 25th 2015, 9:09 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Jesus I dont want to argue with the Grammer nazis.
Although the fact you need to respond the way you have does kind of prove my point...get a life springs to mind !!
That's rich, Justcol. I'm really only on here because I'm off sick from work so just thought I would pop in and stir things up a little
Old May 26th 2015, 2:57 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Nice update, glad you've settled!
We were briefly in Palmy North today!
I agree Rob.

Thanks for the update Genesis.
Old May 26th 2015, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Those who complain NZ is boring and bland and that people who move here are themselves boring and bland remind me a lot of the conversations I had with my Mum early in my time here. Mum lives under the very sweet preconception that my life is one long sunshine soaked holiday. I remember saying that though I get to do awesome things like see whales and seals, get to know another culture and explore this remote and beautiful part of the word that the vast majority of my time is spent just like hers.

I go to work, I pay my bills and my rent, I do my shopping, I cook, I clean my house, I have to get mundane things like dentist bills and broken bikes sorted out.

I'm not sure exactly what people who move here expecting anything otherwise actually want. Life is not and never was designed to be one long parade of fun, the vast majority of it is actually pretty mundane wherever you are in the First World.
Old May 26th 2015, 5:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraNotts

I'm not sure exactly what people who move here expecting anything otherwise actually want. Life is not and never was designed to be one long parade of fun, the vast majority of it is actually pretty mundane wherever you are in the First World.
I agree. Why can't more people comprehend this.
Old May 26th 2015, 6:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
That's a pretty big generalization. Without knowing a persons individual circumstances you can't really say whether they would have been better off in another part of the UK. I have absolutely no interest in living in Ireland or Scotland for many reasons (I don't want to turn this into an NZ vs another country debate) and certainly haven't moved to NZ just because it was the more exciting option. Sure there is an element of excitement, I would be lying if I said there wasn't. But for us and many other people the options aren't the same no matter how many times people beat the "oh you can do that in the UK" drum.
You shouldn't always take things personally I never mentioned Pom_Chch. I think New Zealand is a great country, but it's fact that you get many Brits moving for the lifestyle, but never bothered having that lifestyle in the UK. Some people say they now go fishing/kayaking and drive 2 hours to do that. In the UK they had it around the corner and never bothered.
Old May 26th 2015, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There seems to be some misunderstanding of my comments here.
If you read my comments I have said that I like living in and appreciate NZ
I have said many Brits I have met are a bit bland and that's about it.
I not sure where I said I expected fireworks every time I step out of my front door
but that seems to be the slant some have decided to take on my comments.
I don't remember once comparing nz to blighty, I have mentioned the things
I like, which of course, are never going to be found here, but then again I'm not sure where
I said I ever expected them to be.
Some aspects of life here are dull, just as they would be anywhere else.
If your reading more into it than that your filling in blanks that don't exist

Last edited by Justcol; May 26th 2015 at 7:30 am.
Old May 26th 2015, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
There seems to be some misunderstanding of my comments here.
If you read my comments I have said that I like living in and appreciate NZ
I have said many Brits I have met are a bit bland and that's about it.
I not sure where I said I expected fireworks every time I step out of my front door
but that seems to be the slant some have decided to take on my comments.
I don't remember once comparing nz to blighty, I have mentioned the things
I like, which of course, are never going to be found here, but then again I'm not sure where
I said I ever expected them to be.
Some aspects of life here are dull, just as they would be anywhere else.
If your reading more into it than that your filling in blanks that don't exist
A bit like the yellow press
Old May 26th 2015, 7:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

it's fact that you get many Brits moving for the lifestyle, but never bothered having that lifestyle in the UK.
Yeah, I agree

Some people say they now go fishing/kayaking and drive 2 hours to do that. In the UK they had it around the corner and never bothered
Yep, I agree. I can't really understand it. I'm guessing what they really get once they've emigrated is motivation to do this and other things too. Or more determination to do it, just to prove their life is better/more interesting/more fulfilling now.

Or maybe the water isn't as wet or a mile isn't as long in NZ as it is in Britain. I dunno, I don't really get it.
Old May 26th 2015, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is my first post in the NZ forum, not even sure how I ended up here (well, there is that contract analysis for work I am avoiding ).

My very quick story, lived in 5 countries but essentially Oz for 25yrs or so. Been in the UK for 5yrs, Mrs TB is an Oz citizen (originally from Sth Korea) and we have a 17mth daughter. We like living in the UK but will return to Oz, probably this year.

I've been lucky enough to live in 4 other countries and then return to Oz and then leave again. When the conversation is regarding moving back 'home' to the UK, it almost always revolves around how much the UK has changed (which is true). What gets lost in the fog though is that if you are a ping ponger, (or even if you are not and have objectivity) is the degree of change which has happened in the country you have moved to.

I know Oz has changed enormously to the country it was in the 80s when I moved there (90s for Mrs TB). Sydney is very different from then and throws up lots of challenges that used to be 'fun' and are now a royal PITA when we do move back.

Conversely, the Britain we moved to in 2010 has changed, it was always changing but IMO the pace of that change has kicked up a gear in the last 2yrs. Our time is nearly done here but we will return to Oz knowing full well it's not changed for the better.

Nothing stays the same, and if you don't ever move back to the UK or wherever, it's still no less true of the country to which you moved.

I hope everyone is happy with their decisions, we have been but maybe had 1yr too long in the UK. One other thing I learned,,, having kids makes this stuff very complicated

Oh and on the lifestyle thing, I wrote this a while back:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/austr.../#post11490002

Last edited by Tr1boy; May 26th 2015 at 7:39 am.
Old May 26th 2015, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

A bit like the yellow press
Spot on !!

NZ IS AWESOME
Claim exhausted Brit expats barely able to speak due to puffing and panting
after yet another day of extreme outdoor activities
Many are concerned they can barely find time to earn a living as they are
so busy doing activities they chose to ignore in the uk
Old May 26th 2015, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Yep, I agree. I can't really understand it. I'm guessing what they really get once they've emigrated is motivation to do this and other things too. Or more determination to do it, just to prove their life is better/more interesting/more fulfilling now.

Or maybe the water isn't as wet or a mile isn't as long in NZ as it is in Britain. I dunno, I don't really get it.
I think you're right with the motivation and maybe they also just do it so they feel it was worth while. It wouldn't be exciting moving to the other side of the world and then you post pictures of yourself on FB sitting in front of the TV or cleaning There are so many good reasons to move away. When you're young it's the experience and then it might be a better job with more money, family etc.
Old May 26th 2015, 8:30 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis good post and balanced thank you...
Shame about some of the sad people degrading your post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.