Was it all worth it?

Old May 26th 2015, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was it all worth it?

Originally Posted by Justcol
Spot on !!

NZ IS AWESOME
Claim exhausted Brit expats barely able to speak due to puffing and panting
after yet another day of extreme outdoor activities
Many are concerned they can barely find time to earn a living as they are
so busy doing activities they chose to ignore in the uk
Just an example: Not in Dublin myself, but would people have to move to Auckland for an outdoor life if they have this around the corner.

At the end of the day it's the same life: Work, traffic and expensive housing LOL
Attached Thumbnails Was it all worth it?-dublin.jpg  
Old May 26th 2015, 9:31 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I've had this very same discussion on here before (I think it was with you Snap Shot) and frankly I cannot be bothered to type it out again or search through 100's of threads to find it. Like I said before - I can't be bothered to go into too much detail about outdoor activities in either country. A decent enough analogy I can think of is why would you go scuba diving in the Caribbean when you can do it in the UK? Because it's much better in the Caribbean and that's how I feel with a lot of the activities on offer in NZ. It's not like you can't do them in the UK, but they are so much better here IMVHO. Find me somewhere in the UK where I can hike something with similar views to the Tongariro Crossing or the Milford Track. That's what I'm all about - hiking for views and sorry to say but the UK just doesn't cut it for me.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

To pick up on one suggestion, why does coming here
make some folk more motivated to do things have
never thought of doing before ??
Old May 26th 2015, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I remember someone saying that they enjoyed Canada, because you can sit out on the porch, drink wine and watch the world go by, but it's not possible in the UK. The reason was that nobody does it in the UK, so she wouldn't do it in the UK.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I remember someone saying that they enjoyed Canada, because you can sit out on the porch, drink wine and watch the world go by, but it's not possible in the UK. The reason was that nobody does it in the UK, so she wouldn't do it in the UK.
That's beyond sad, in any country
Old May 26th 2015, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Mostly so they can write a blog or go on FB about it and bore everyone else 'back home' with endless tales of how much bigger/better/brighter/fulfilling and more awesome their lives are now.
Old May 26th 2015, 10:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I've had this very same discussion on here before (I think it was with you Snap Shot) and frankly I cannot be bothered to type it out again or search through 100's of threads to find it. Like I said before - I can't be bothered to go into too much detail about outdoor activities in either country. A decent enough analogy I can think of is why would you go scuba diving in the Caribbean when you can do it in the UK? Because it's much better in the Caribbean and that's how I feel with a lot of the activities on offer in NZ. It's not like you can't do them in the UK, but they are so much better here IMVHO. Find me somewhere in the UK where I can hike something with similar views to the Tongariro Crossing or the Milford Track. That's what I'm all about - hiking for views and sorry to say but the UK just doesn't cut it for me.
Again, it's got nothing to do with you and tell me how many times you actually go to Tongariro after work? If you're in Auckland, you won't be doing those things after a days work. No place is exactly the same, but the point is that you can still do things. It's great if it worked out for you and congratulations. Just talking about people who never did anything back home. Don't find the view bad here either.
Attached Thumbnails Was it all worth it?-walk.jpg   Was it all worth it?-mountains.jpg  
Old May 26th 2015, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
That's beyond sad, in any country
Old May 26th 2015, 10:41 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, I'm out.

Sorry Genesis! I won't de-rail your thread that started out really well any further. Especially not by wasting time discussing a topic with someone who isn't even living in NZ
Old May 26th 2015, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief, I'm out.

Sorry Genesis! I won't de-rail your thread that started out really well any further. Especially not by wasting time discussing a topic with someone who isn't even living in NZ
No worries..its only a post after all and I think it is good that people have an exchange of views. Whatever becomes of it after I have had my hap'worth is down to the other forum users..thank you for your kind words Stormer.
Old May 26th 2015, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good grief, I'm out.

Easily offended?

I don't think it's a waste of time and do you think only people currently living in New Zealand can have an opinion? You aren't currently living in the UK either, so don't understand your point and after all this is a forum. If it was all worth it for you then great, but what about people who are financially now worse off in New Zealand? I know there are other places in New Zealand, but since most people end up in cities, would a move to Auckland really make sense just for an outdoor life?
Old May 27th 2015, 9:19 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I do hope you stick about Genesis; I know you won't mind this thread heading off on several tangents

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Wow, you mean there are other things one can do on a cold, wet and windy Monday night? <snip> I think that's a sign of how interesting most people's lives are.
I don't think that's very fair. Kiwis just do things differently and view the world differently but I don't think that means their lives are uninteresting, just that they have different values and patterns of living than Brits (surprise!). I kinda love Kiwis; they really can be quite endearingly hobbit-like, but otoh I don't think anybody else's life looks that interesting if you include all the daily grind stuff. Even the most exciting people still have to do the shopping, clean the loo, and go to the dentist.

Mostly because they have reinvented and reinvigorated themselves in making the move but also because sometimes it takes getting out of the groove of daily life for a bit to be able to make some changes, even if they are changes you want.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I do hope you stick about Genesis; I know you won't mind this thread heading off on several tangents

I don't think that's very fair. Kiwis just do things differently and view the world differently but I don't think that means their lives are uninteresting, just that they have different values and patterns of living than Brits (surprise!). I kinda love Kiwis; they really can be quite endearingly hobbit-like, but otoh I don't think anybody else's life looks that interesting if you include all the daily grind stuff. Even the most exciting people still have to do the shopping, clean the loo, and go to the dentist.

Mostly because they have reinvented and reinvigorated themselves in making the move but also because sometimes it takes getting out of the groove of daily life for a bit to be able to make some changes, even if they are changes you want.
Fair enough, but I don't get why people then talk the UK/Europe down and say they couldn't do those things back home. If they tried it all, then they can certainly say that. Pom_Chch said "Find me somewhere in the UK where I can hike something with similar views to the Tongariro Crossing or the Milford Track". Of course it's great, but all I want to know is how many times a year would you be doing that? The UK also has great walks and it's probably cheaper to go to the Alps from the UK than going to Tongariro Crossing from Auckland or Christchurch. Don't get me wrong, personally I think New Zealand is a great place and better than OZ:-), but I wouldn't advise someone to give up a good life in the UK just so they can climb a mountain.
Old May 27th 2015, 7:14 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Moses2013 please go back and read the OP.......

I am not doing down GB..it is a great place but I think lots of people have had enough of the populous nature of the place

It is as simple as that...that's why most of us come. Nothing else.....
Old May 27th 2015, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Moses2013 please go back and read the OP.......

I am not doing down GB..it is a great place but I think lots of people have had enough of the populous nature of the place

It is as simple as that...that's why most of us come. Nothing else.....
Exactly. I came for the above and the weather after trying Scotland for 15 years and it has been absolutely worth it. When hill walking in the Craigieburns or the Torlesse range there is not a soul in sight, the hills in the English Lake District have motorways up them and the Scottish mountains are remote and freezing even if you live there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.