Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Old Nov 30th 2014, 9:04 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Ashford, Kent
Posts: 9
Adandchloe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Hi

This is the first time I have wrote on here and just wondered if reading your replies will help me settle some of my worries!
My husband is doing very well in his career and has been offered to go and work in Adelaide and we have checked visas ect ect and would get the thumbs up. That aside we have a young daughter who is three and we plan to have another baby now. My fear is mainly my daughters schooling, how easy is it to get a placement as where we live placements for good schools are hard to come by. I also work self employed as a beautician but have had to fund my owners ing and not sure if the qualifications I have received would get me work out in Adelaide. I'm also really nervous about moving half way around the world and not making any friends and feeling dreadfully isolated!! I'm very close with my mum who is also keen to make the move too! She has enough assets to comply here entry into Oz so this is a huge benefit for us and my daughter will still have her nanny! I guess I am just feeling the usual nerves.... My husband and my mum are ready to go tomorrow if they could and have been very supportive and not making me feel pressured at all I just can't help but worry 😩😩😩
Thank you for listening to my moaning and hope you guys can tell me great positives about Adelaide and the wonderful future it will have to offer my family.... England's future is our reason for moving you only need to turn on the news to see how this government is collapsing and has lost sight of all sense! We moved out of London two years ago when the London riots were on our doorstep so I know we can relocate and set up a new life.... It's just the part about being on the other side of the WORLD that gives me butterflies!!

xChloex
Adandchloe is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2014, 9:19 pm
  #2  
Bitter and twisted
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Upmarket
Posts: 17,503
Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

To answer one point.....your mother can not simply move with you.

She would need her own visa...what age is she?

If you are thinking of a parent visa that will take a few years as you would need to be permanent residents and then sponsor her if she qualifies. That would mean you would first need to live here for two years and then there would be a wait for her visa which could be at leat another two years if everything goes well.

This is not as easy as you seem to suggest.
Grayling is offline  
Old Nov 30th 2014, 9:33 pm
  #3  
Victorian Evangelist
 
Buzzy--Bee's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Melbourne, by the beach, living the dream.
Posts: 7,704
Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

What visa are you planning to move on? There are a lot of different ones and none of them let you take parents with you (unless I think the parent is 100% dependent on you for everything financial in which case it might be easier). I suspect if your husband is being offered a work transfer then the visa will be a temporary one, certainly to start off with, in which case it will come with a date by which you must leave Australia and certainly will not allow sponsorship of relatives.

Do not worry about schooling. Your daughter is 3 and assuming you do move to SA then there will be plenty of good schools for her by the time she reaches school starting age which is 5 in SA.

As for making friends, that will be up to how much work you put into it.

I assure you that sentiments about England's future apply to Australia too, and people who move here "to escape the UK" are often the first to return to that same UK when they discover that Australia also has crime, drugs, graffiti and ineffective government.

BB
Buzzy--Bee is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 6:54 am
  #4  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Hi

This is the first time I have wrote on here and just wondered if reading your replies will help me settle some of my worries!
My husband is doing very well in his career and has been offered to go and work in Adelaide and we have checked visas ect ect and would get the thumbs up. That aside we have a young daughter who is three and we plan to have another baby now. My fear is mainly my daughters schooling, how easy is it to get a placement as where we live placements for good schools are hard to come by. I also work self employed as a beautician but have had to fund my owners ing and not sure if the qualifications I have received would get me work out in Adelaide. I'm also really nervous about moving half way around the world and not making any friends and feeling dreadfully isolated!! I'm very close with my mum who is also keen to make the move too! She has enough assets to comply here entry into Oz so this is a huge benefit for us and my daughter will still have her nanny! I guess I am just feeling the usual nerves.... My husband and my mum are ready to go tomorrow if they could and have been very supportive and not making me feel pressured at all I just can't help but worry � ����� ����� ����
Thank you for listening to my moaning and hope you guys can tell me great positives about Adelaide and the wonderful future it will have to offer my family.... England's future is our reason for moving you only need to turn on the news to see how this government is collapsing and has lost sight of all sense! We moved out of London two years ago when the London riots were on our doorstep so I know we can relocate and set up a new life.... It's just the part about being on the other side of the WORLD that gives me butterflies!!

xChloex
Your post is quite concerning, to me it doesn't have the hallmarks of what makes a "good" migrant anyway. Mainly because of your comments about the UK. I read a UK newspaper every day and no, I don't see anything that would make me want to leave the country (had I not already left that is). Moving because you don't like the government of the day sounds like it could be quite futile, because you might not like the government where you get to and are you going to move every four or five years?

Forget the negative perspective. Is there anything about Australia that you feel positive about and want to move to? Any pull factors?

Regarding visas. What visa are you being offered? People moving with employers are normally offered temporary visas and contrary to popular opinion, you (general you, not you) do not simply qualify for a permanent visa on the basis of time spent in the country. You would need to qualify and apply for a permanent visa according to that criteria.

You would need to be resident and on a permanent visa for two years before you could sponsor your mother. So with the processing time for her visa, she is likely to be a good 3.5 years behind you. Until that time, she can visit for holidays only. To respond to the post above, there is no way you could claim your mother is dependent upon you and bring her at the same time. Only people from developing countries can do this.

Adelaide has schools, I wouldn't be worrying about that. I expect you will make friends as easily as you are able to now.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Dec 1st 2014 at 6:57 am.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:22 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
 
verystormy's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,337
verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

I agree with a lot of the other comments. I think your reasons and research are concerning.

As pointed out, your mother will not be moving with you. It will a number of years and then the cost of a parent visa is in the tens of thousands.

Escaping a governmet or social ills that you don't like is a very poor reason. There are many people in oz that have the same views for the oz government. I read the Australian and British press most days and to be honest, the stories can apply to either country (and yes, oz has even had riots). We have all of the same issues as the UK - crime, drugs, unemployment.

You also need to fully understand what visa you may be using. If it is a 457, then this is a temporary visa and you need to assume you will be returning to the UK. Some do go on from a 457 and become permanent - I am one and now a citizen, but many do not. It is a visa that is tied to the employer. So, if you are made redundant or lose your job for any reason, then you also lose the visa and have only 90 days to find a new company willing and able to sponsor, or leave the country.
verystormy is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 8:06 pm
  #6  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Ashford, Kent
Posts: 9
Adandchloe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Thank you for your responses, my mum is elegable for the Investor Retirement Visa (subclass 405) we know that this is a maximum term of 4 years and have all the information for extending this when the time is right. My husband is eligible for the Skilled Independant Visa (subclass 189) and therefore I am eligible for a Partner (Migrant subclass 100), we have done a lot of research into this and we are confident that we are eligible due to the conversations we have had with The Australia High Commission in the Strand London, I didn't write this as we have all the information we need regarding the visas, what we do not have is people opinions on the area.
The papers do not tell the full story (in my opinion) with regards to the decline of the UK. For this reason we have not bothered to look at Australian papers and would prefer some real views of the people that live there.
It is the life style that is the most appealing draw of Australia, the outdoor living, weather, beaches and activities that are only on offer for a few weeks of the year in England.
Having said that we would not want to make the move if we are going to feel even more negative about the future of the country when we have been there for 6 months, 2 years or longer.
My daughter is my world and I want her to have the best life possible, her schooling is a big worry and your views on the quality of the state and private systems would be aprichiated.
I know that I would have to make the effort with regards to friends, when we lived in London everyone on the street kept themselves to themselves no matter how hard I tried, where we live now is a community, I have many more friends and it is not just myself that makes the effort, everyone goes out of their way to introduce themselves and be friendly, is this the case in Adelaide?
Adandchloe is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 8:45 pm
  #7  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,838
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Thank you for your responses, my mum is elegable for the Investor Retirement Visa (subclass 405) we know that this is a maximum term of 4 years and have all the information for extending this when the time is right. My husband is eligible for the Skilled Independant Visa (subclass 189) and therefore I am eligible for a Partner (Migrant subclass 100), we have done a lot of research into this and we are confident that we are eligible due to the conversations we have had with The Australia High Commission in the Strand London, I didn't write this as we have all the information we need regarding the visas, what we do not have is people opinions on the area.
The papers do not tell the full story (in my opinion) with regards to the decline of the UK. For this reason we have not bothered to look at Australian papers and would prefer some real views of the people that live there.
It is the life style that is the most appealing draw of Australia, the outdoor living, weather, beaches and activities that are only on offer for a few weeks of the year in England.
Having said that we would not want to make the move if we are going to feel even more negative about the future of the country when we have been there for 6 months, 2 years or longer.
My daughter is my world and I want her to have the best life possible, her schooling is a big worry and your views on the quality of the state and private systems would be aprichiated.
I know that I would have to make the effort with regards to friends, when we lived in London everyone on the street kept themselves to themselves no matter how hard I tried, where we live now is a community, I have many more friends and it is not just myself that makes the effort, everyone goes out of their way to introduce themselves and be friendly, is this the case in Adelaide?
Not quite correct. You would go on your husband's 189 application as his wife.
You cannot apply for a Spouse visa (100) unless you are married to an Aussie citizen or someone holding Aussie PR already.
Pollyana is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 8:53 pm
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Ashford, Kent
Posts: 9
Adandchloe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Sorry maybe I do have the wrong class may have been the Partner (subclass 820 leading to 801) that we were informed about, but as I have said we have been in discussions with the Australian High Commission and would really appriachate some advise on the questions I have asked.
Adandchloe is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:09 pm
  #9  
Home and Happy
 
Pollyana's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2002
Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Posts: 93,838
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Sorry maybe I do have the wrong class may have been the Partner (subclass 820 leading to 801) that we were informed about, but as I have said we have been in discussions with the Australian High Commission and would really appriachate some advise on the questions I have asked.
No, a 820/801 is just the onshore version of the spouse visa.

You aren't eligible for a Spouse visa.
In order to be eligible you must be sponsored by your husband/partner, who mush hold a PR visa or Aussie citizenship.

Your husband is applying for a Skills visa. On that visa application he includes you as his wife, and your child. All three of you then get the same visa, a skills visa.

Forget about Spouse visas, they don't apply to you The High Commission have got it wrong if that is the advice they gave you.

(can't advise on the rest as I am not a great lover of beaches or heat, have no kids and don't live in Adelaide!)
Pollyana is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:16 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Ashford, Kent
Posts: 9
Adandchloe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Thanks for that, my husband was told something along those line when we spoke to the Commission but they were also discussing the Spouse visas.
Adandchloe is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:23 pm
  #11  
MODERATOR
 
old.sparkles's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: Adelaide
Posts: 29,926
old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

I am in Adelaide but don't have school age children. Also can't offer advice on the beautician quals, but we do like the space in Adelaide and the quiet way of life. Plenty of beaches with free parking. Can get very hot in summer, and we've had a few hot days already through spring.
old.sparkles is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:24 pm
  #12  
Still alive
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,994
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Thanks for that, my husband was told something along those line when we spoke to the Commission but they were also discussing the Spouse visas.
The High Commission is not the place for immigration advice. Either Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection or a MARA registered migration agent is.

As for your other points, you're going to find the same shit here in Australia as you'll find in any other first world country. There is crime, there are drugs, there is unemployment. Schools are schools pretty much everywhere. Your child will have the same opportunities for education here that they would have anywhere (within reason). I'm not sure what you mean by the outdoor living, weather, etc, but when it's 43° outside with a UV index of 13 you're not going to be doing much outdoor activity. Then you have winter. Single digit temperatures with driving rains in homes with no insulation and single pane windows.

Come because you have a chance, but don't look at Australia as some utopia. It's not. Yes, Australia has it's good points, but so does the UK.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:31 pm
  #13  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Bermudashorts's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 14,284
Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by Adandchloe
Sorry maybe I do have the wrong class may have been the Partner (subclass 820 leading to 801) that we were informed about, but as I have said we have been in discussions with the Australian High Commission and would really appriachate some advise on the questions I have asked.
You will not be applying for a partner visa as Polly has said, you go on the 189 application, along with your husband and daughter. So you really are not getting the right information on visas.

You didn't really have a lot of questions as far as I can see, but yes your daughter will get into school. I cannot imagine a beautician is going to have too many hurdles to jump through regarding qualifications either.

But the rest of your post is still troubling. In my experience the people that are going to have a negative outlook when living in one first world country will be pretty negative about living in another first world country. Glass half empty. Australia isn't going to fix your outlook on life. The migrants that are searching for utopia can be disappointed. The happiest migrants I have seen are the ones that were happy before they moved as well and were not looking to escape something.

I am happy enough in Australia, so is my OH. We do indeed live near a beach, that is something that is easier to achieve in Australia than it is in UK. On balance, I have concluded that I prefer the climate here too but I had to think hard about that, it certainly is not a given. The climate here is quite punishing for much of the year.

I don't otherwise think my lifestyle is that much different, I am no more and no less outdoorsy than I ever was, although I certainly did not have your issue of only being able to partake in activities for a few weeks a year in the UK thank goodness.

I have no experience of the schooling system here. But I have always worked with people that have gone on to at least tertiary education and can see no difference between the Australians and the Brits that have done so. Therefore I am sure there is nothing to worry about.
Bermudashorts is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 9:42 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
MountainHiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 113
MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

If you don't live an outdoor life in the UK, it won't magically change in Australia, in fact I think I live less of an outdoor life in Australia than anywhere else I have lived.

During the summer as Dorothy said you can't do much because of the heat and UV, I wake up at to bike at 5am just so it's cool enough. We use to hike / climb every weekend now we are limited to the winter months.
MountainHiker is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2014, 10:41 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: My happy place
Posts: 3,043
Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ADVICE ON MOVE TO ADELAIDE

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
If you don't live an outdoor life in the UK, it won't magically change in Australia, in fact I think I live less of an outdoor life in Australia than anywhere else I have lived.

During the summer as Dorothy said you can't do much because of the heat and UV, I wake up at to bike at 5am just so it's cool enough. We use to hike / climb every weekend now we are limited to the winter months.
I rarely get involved in these threads as I lived in Oz for 23yrs, currently live in the UK and will eventually live in Oz gain at some point. For us there is no 'either or' questions. We just live where it suits us to live at any given point in our lives. At the moment that's Eng, but not forever, or maybe, who knows.

But I would take heed of the post I have quoted, this is very apt and an inconvenient truth for those that are looking for a magical solution to lifestyle.

I lead an extremely active and out door endurance sporting life, far more than most. Taking a yearly average I can say that I have bailed more sessions in Oz due to extreme heat than I ever have/do in the UK due to cold/rain/snow. (we were in Sydney, but I have trained and raced in Adelaide many times as I used to attend board meetings there).

The plethora of outdoor activities in the UK is mind boggling, all year round no matter what you are into (for me now it's duathlon and cyclocross season). Of course my version of 'outdoors' is a bit different to most. I suppose you could say that sitting in the sun drinking beer and smoking is 'outdoors' in that sense I suppose.

But active outdoors lifestyles can be had anywhere, the difference is that correct clothing and preparation can compensate for cold/wet weather, but there is less that can be done against extreme heat and sun exposure.

You have to want to do things. Sure most migrants will be out and about for the first couple of years extolling the outdoor virtues of where they live, but dollars to doughnuts most of those folks will revert back to being the same people and doing roughly the same things that they did before they have left. There are exceptions but I've seen many cycles over the years of migrants and it tends to be the way.

I was reading a post in another forum the other day about how someone from the UK was complaining about how centred around the tv UK culture is. I can't argue with that, it does seem to be the case (sadly). What I don't understand is that why people think they can't do something that is not what the majority do?

While I'm on a roll, I'll say the same about food choices in the supermarkets. I see people complaining about the amount of tv dinners in the UK (I forget the term they use) and how fresh food is so much more available in Oz. In my opinion and experience it isn't. There are different types of fresh food in Oz for sure and there are less tv dinners, but just because a UK supermarket has 3 aisles of pre made meals, doesn't mean the fresh food aisles have suddenly disappeared, or that somehow you are compelled to buy the dinners. If you want a healthy lifestyle, you have to seek it out, no matter where you live, IMO.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Dec 1st 2014 at 10:49 pm.
Tr1boy is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.