Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is REALLY uncool about NZ

What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Old Nov 16th 2010, 4:17 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi

Previously acquitted people can also be re-trialled if new evidence comes to light........
I really can't see what the problem with that is!
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mickey_d
People walking barefoot in supermarkets
Heck they do that here too and it's not just supermarkets.
Old Nov 16th 2010, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Tray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of lightTray is a glorious beacon of light

I like Xmas in summer- if you're going to have all those public holidays it's pretty cool to have them when the sun is shining and I think Xmas in summer keeps a bit of perspective about Xmas, unlike in the UK where it's the highlight of several miserable months and has snowballed out of all proportion. For us Xmas arrives pretty much when the kids break up from school and we stick a tree up and go wild in the aisles buying cheese and pink fizz and PASTRAMI SALMON. Summer Xmas rocks imo, so don't you moaners go getting it changed [/QUOTE]

Ditto
Old Nov 16th 2010, 9:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Sandflies
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

bolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to beholdbolton1 is a splendid one to behold

Tourists
Old Nov 17th 2010, 9:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's almost 2011 and most of the biggest names on the high street don't even offer online shopping.

New World, Farmers, Briscoes et al, get yer bloomin finger out!!
Old Nov 17th 2010, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

pom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of lightpom4gud is a glorious beacon of light

....... that my mother-in-law lives there
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

No personal tax allowance - pay tax on every dollar earned. Even kids have to pay tax on their savings accounts.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:14 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pom4gud
....... that my mother-in-law lives there
I am not alone
Originally Posted by cappuccino
No personal tax allowance - pay tax on every dollar earned. Even kids have to pay tax on their savings accounts.
That's something I try not to think about, it just makes me feel sad At least the income tax rates have come down a little bit to make up for the increase in GST.
Old Nov 17th 2010, 10:28 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

The ads on TV are very UNCOOL!!!
Too long and too many, plus too many breaks within a programme. It's especially worse if the programme was originally on the BBC and so was never meant to have ad breaks:curse:
Old Nov 17th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

tv is utter trash here. I do want to enjoy watching tv but I find myself turn it off most of the time. - not worth. just wasting time. Not a point buying expensive (rip off) colour tv to watch crap unless borrowing dvds or whatever.

Last edited by crap coffee; Nov 17th 2010 at 11:53 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:11 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
Too long and too many, plus too many breaks within a programme. It's especially worse if the programme was originally on the BBC and so was never meant to have ad breaks:curse:
Oh that used to annoy me too. I gave up watching in the end and either downloaded or got DVDs out.
Old Nov 18th 2010, 12:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
My inability to catch trout is uncool.
Grenades are the only way to fish.

However at the root of most of these complaints seems to be the stifling way in which New Zealanders cling to that which they know to the extent that they are very unwilling to try new ideas and strategies, especially where no precedent exists (Industry, housing, driving, education, healthcare, welfare etc.)
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:16 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

The precedents usually do exist - just not in New Zealand.

Try to apply them to New Zealand and the excuse is "yeah no, it won't work in New Zealand mate" I guess the reasoning is if something has worked ok for decades why change it now? What Brits call "if it ain't broke don't fix it."
Old Nov 18th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Persephone
The ad breaks are annoying but I get more annoyed when the end of one programme seems to roll into the start of the next one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.