Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

What is REALLY uncool about NZ

What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is REALLY uncool about NZ

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
what's uncool?
- standard of driving
- that car insurance isn't complusary
- louds ads on the tv, though I rarely watch it, equally annoying are the blatent product plugs on radio programs outside of the ad breaks
- drivers attitude to cyclists, worse I've experienced anywhere.
- poor standard of housing
- poor access to countryside outside of parks, particularly mtn biking
- variety of cheese poor, and comparatively expensive
Why are you still here then? Utopia is out there somewhere but it's probably a desert Island
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

jayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond reputejayandbill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydewylde
the government must do something about this, this is a silent disaster to NZ!
Vote wisely on 2011 kiwi elections...
There's a slight problem with the harsh sun. You can't switch it off and until the early 70's there was no sun protection so anyone born before that may be the ones paying the price.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayandbill
There's a slight problem with the harsh sun. You can't switch it off and until the early 70's there was no sun protection so anyone born before that may be the ones paying the price.
There has also been sun protection in NZ. It just hasn't always been slip, slap, sloosh.

In fact I think prior the 70's were the lucky ones. We never took chances with "so called" sun protectors that flooded the market.

We were taught to stay out of the harsh sun and wear sun hats.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
There has also been sun protection in NZ. It just hasn't always been slip, slap, sloosh.

In fact I think prior the 70's were the lucky ones. We never took chances with "so called" sun protectors that flooded the market.

We were taught to stay out of the harsh sun and wear sun hats.
Ooo. Noo. I gotta take issue with that , looking at those of my age around me and their attitude to hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.
That defo ain't the case and their skin shows that to be the case - total.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 8:09 am
`

Originally Posted by jayandbill
Why are you still here then? Utopia is out there somewhere but it's probably a desert Island
UUmm. That's not really true is it .
Chocolate Cake makes some relevant observations about living here in NZ and after all, that is where we live ain't it? We should want these things to improve.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ooo. Noo. I gotta take issue with that , looking at those of my age around me and their attitude to hats, sunglasses and sunscreen.
I am not convinced that you and I are from the same generation Bev

I take it you are talking about what skin looks like. I am talking about protection from harsh rays prior to the days of slip, slap, slop

Research has shown that skin cancer has increased in bucket loads since Kiwi's had access so called "skin protection" products.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks
Believe it or not (and this is a fact), the take up on insurance is roughly the same as the UK, where it is compulsory. If it was here also, just imagine what the price of it would be and do you really think that those who don't have it will start to pay for it? And then what would the penalty be for not having it?
Registration, WOF and a licence are all compulsory and it seems that half of NZ drives around without all three!!
It's not too hard to believe. Teenagers cars tend to be on hire purchase and they have to be insured.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:15 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you. Some of the older New Zealanders have very badly damaged skin, quite different to the same age group over here where even the older road workers cover-up against the sun - long sleeves and hard hats with flaps around the sides and back.

New Zealand has a higher rate of melanoma than Australia.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 11:28 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default NZ having higher rates of melanoma than Australia

Whilst neither country is particularly safe my perception is that it is taken a lot more seriously here, which may explain the slightly lower figures, though I'm sure the ozone hole has something to do with it as well.

This was in The Australian
NEW Zealand has edged out Australia to have the world's worst rate of melanomas, researchers have found.

Richard Martin from the New Zealand Melanoma Unit compared the skin cancer rates between the two countries and found Kiwis had slightly higher chances of suffering the dangerous cancer.

His unpublished research found about 44 New Zealanders per 100,000 were diagnosed with melanomas each year, while in Australia the rate was about 40 per 100,000.

Melanoma is the most deadly form of skin cancer, but not the most common.

“There has always been a kind of rivalry, not terribly good rivalry, between the two countries to know which is the melanoma centre of the world,” Dr Martin said.

The latest figures showed New Zealand's rates were higher, he said.

He said both Australia and New Zealand had skin cancer rates three to four times higher than other parts of the world, because so many light-skinned people lived at warm latitudes.

New Zealand, however, was under a larger part of the hole in the ozone layer, and had less pollution than Australia, which absorbed some UV radiation, he said.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 3:43 am
`

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I am not convinced that you and I are from the same generation Bev

I take it you are talking about what skin looks like. I am talking about protection from harsh rays prior to the days of slip, slap, slop

Research has shown that skin cancer has increased in bucket loads since Kiwi's had access so called "skin protection" products.
We are talking of the same era and age. These people certainly didn't cover up properly judging by the damage to their skin, especially their faces and that is both ladies and men. Quite shocking TBH.
If skin cancer has increased in NZ since 40 years back , then it is down to other factors which may well include not using the products available properly ,still not covering up or retreating to shade when needs be and , of course, the business of the ozone layer .
Fair play to schools here though. Kids must wear hats for starters and have sun screen available.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

My boy not living here with me
Old Jan 6th 2011, 5:18 am
`

Originally Posted by colandros
My boy not living here with me
Mates..... . That's tough in anyones book.
.I'd lend you me drake but it just wouldn't be the same.
Old Jan 6th 2011, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

We are talking of the same era and age. These people certainly didn't cover up properly judging by the damage to their skin, especially their faces and that is both ladies and men. Quite shocking TBH.
If skin cancer has increased in NZ since 40 years back , then it is down to other factors which may well include not using the products available properly ,still not covering up or retreating to shade when needs be and , of course, the business of the ozone layer .
Fair play to schools here though. Kids must wear hats for starters and have sun screen available.
One thing I am glad for having lived in the UK for nigh on 10 years is the decreased sun exposure. To my shame I remember going to touch nationals in Palmy North and lying in the sun with baby oil on It is hard to get out of the tan mentality though, I never put suncreen on in Britain, the sun just does not feel hot (either that or I never have any time to sit out in it anymore!!)

It's hard to find good suncreen too, I find as I get older I get more and more reactions to it so use suncreen with zinc oxide - helps with prickly heat too!