Final countdown

Old Jan 5th 2011, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice
Default Final countdown

Well not long now - two months and 26 days. I feel a bit stressed about it all and it was tough seeing all my friends and family over Christmas - we just didn't talk about the fact I was going soon.

And I woke up in the middle of the night in a panic that as of the end of this month I'll have no job and no money

We still don't actually know which city we're coming to. OH is in discussions with his current firm and a relocation may be on the cards :fingerscrossed

Still despite all this, I know things will work out. The underlying sense of panic is just to be expected with such a major life change.

And makes organising the wedding a breeze - that ain't stressing me at all!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: Final countdown

Good luck ! Husband and I go on 26 February.
We've borrowed a catchphrase from you: No money, no job, no home, no worries. Sell our house and live in rented accommodation with no job 12,000 miles away - right on !
Old Jan 5th 2011, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really niceMrs Pointer is just really nice

Originally Posted by Debbi****
Good luck ! Husband and I go on 26 February.
We've borrowed a catchphrase from you: No money, no job, no home, no worries. Sell our house and live in rented accommodation with no job 12,000 miles away - right on !
Haha, it's the only way Debbie. People look at me like I've gone mad when they say "do you have a job and a house" and we say "no, we'll sort that when we get there".

Saying that, we're not going in blind. We have done masses of research, including a trip over and chatting to people we know in NZ, and we have a good idea of the job market. Plus there was always a chance that the OH could relocate so he's been pursuing that for a year - if that comes off, fantastic. We have 20 years of experience each and can work across sectors (and no kids) so we can be flexible.

Something always turns up eg when our house sold quicker than we thought and we had a week to find a place to rent! And the 80s barn conversion has weaned me off my lovely warm insulated house and prepared me for NZ rentals. A crap rental will motivate me into getting a job asap!
Old Jan 5th 2011, 4:38 pm
www.hyperreality.net

Shingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant futureShingi has a brilliant future

We're in the same boat and arrive in January! Yey
Old Jan 5th 2011, 5:07 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shingi
We're in the same boat and arrive in January! Yey
Would like to add you to the January leavers list......what date do yo leave and where are you heading for??
Old Jan 5th 2011, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

We complete on our house sale on 12 January and move in with my Dad for 6 weeks whilst still going to work etc. I don't resign until 25 January as only 1 month's notice is required. Good luck Mrs Pointer. No body else understands/realises how HARD this is. Everything feels like taking a chance, like taking a gamble. I'm married to a Kiwi so that hurdle is cleared for him, I get PR. However, getting a job will probably be as much as a picnic there as in Britain.
Old Jan 5th 2011, 7:22 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debbi****
We complete on our house sale on 12 January and move in with my Dad for 6 weeks whilst still going to work etc. I don't resign until 25 January as only 1 month's notice is required. Good luck Mrs Pointer. No body else understands/realises how HARD this is. Everything feels like taking a chance, like taking a gamble. I'm married to a Kiwi so that hurdle is cleared for him, I get PR. However, getting a job will probably be as much as a picnic there as in Britain.
You're so right.......it is HARD!!
Yes, if you're married to a Kiwi (me too! but no family in NZ) the immigration process is easier but the realities of the 'unknown' are still bound to cause anxiety, it is a gamble but isn't life in general?

We went with no jobs lined up, no home sorted.....we didn't even know where we would settle, just had our suitcases and some very welcoming friends ....luckily!!

Go with an open mind, grasp the opportunity and whatever you do keep smiling, be there for each other and enjoy every moment!
B x
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck Mrs Pointer et al....I can't remember if you are getting married in the UK or in NZ. Either way we'll want piccies!!
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

The wedding is here - my mum would have strung me up otherwise and it will give us a chance to see everyone in once place before we go (think I'll be keeping the champers to a minimum or it will be blubbing bride time)

I have to say that getting the visa was the easy bit, despite not having jobs and not being on any lists. the whole process was quick and painfree, which I know isn't everyone's experience.

I think selling our house quickly and having to move into rental for 5 months has helped. We already feel like we're in transition...it's unsettling but it means the wrench won't be so great. Plus me and my work have had 6 months to get used to me going....

it's when you start thinking about what has to go in the suitcase and what can stay on a ship for a few months....
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Fab that you are getting married before you go, but I agree will be so emotional for you both and your families I'm sure.

I get terribly nervous about returning to NZ (and I grew up there) so can't imagine how nervewracking it must be to make the huge plunge you are!

Surely Mr Pointer only needs half a suitcase... a few singlets and make sure he has a few pairs of stubbies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSFCvG6curE
Old Jan 6th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

He's treating what goes in the suitcases as a military exercise!