Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by sky
Oh dear what a daft statement
Oh dear. What no British sense of humour

Kip
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:52 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kippers
Oh dear. What no British sense of humour

Kip

My british sense of humour is fully intact ta
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Circumstances change sometimes for folk, we came here to supposedly good paying jobs but things turned a bit sour. If I converted to dollars what I earned in pounds in the UK I should have been earning $27ph but the same job here only pays $15.50.
Im sure no one comes over knowing they will be on the poverty line do they but the cost of living is a bit more than I for one was led to believe.
I may come across as having a moan but I'm not, Im just being a realist IMO
But Sky. Would you in all honesty be able to afford a lifestyle block if you were still back home?

Kip
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:05 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Circumstances change sometimes for folk, we came here to supposedly good paying jobs but things turned a bit sour. If I converted to dollars what I earned in pounds in the UK I should have been earning $27ph but the same job here only pays $15.50.
Im sure no one comes over knowing they will be on the poverty line do they but the cost of living is a bit more than I for one was led to believe.
I may come across as having a moan but I'm not, Im just being a realist IMO
Let's not forget the average salary here is something like 20k. Look at the cost of petrol here, look at this new road pricing system. I read in the Telegraph this morning that a whole load of police are going to be sacked to save costs. The NHS is a mess, the education system is having an overhaul. At least there are jobs in NZ, at least you don't have to wait for months on end to receive proper medical treatment. Regarding the cost of living, presumably you researched housing, estimated bills, etc before leaving.

Anyway, the point of this thread is not to argue. True red said he was getting some bad vibes from some posts. When people have a legitimate reason for not liking NZ, then fair enough. All experiences are important. Its the posts that go a bit crazy and assume their personal experience will count for everyone. Its unfair to overload a perspective immigrant with experiences that might not be even be relevant to them, and the person is not coming from genuine concern. For example, when weighing up the pros and cons of moving countries, who gives a damn about bloody sausages??!! Some folk say eating meat here is like playing russian roulette! And why is it that people can't be diplomatic, why do they have to attack an entire nationality?? I'd LOVE to see some different nationalities come here and knock the hell out of the English (they'd have a lot of material), I bet no one would stand for it. I simply said that us Brits are known for moaning and I received replies pretty quickly.

I've seen some pretty awful threads here and responses that need to be vented elsewhere. Usually they turn personal, why is that? What's the sense there? New people are expressing their concern at this forum, shouldn't we be wondering why its coming across so unfriendly and negative? Its a waste of what is an excellent resource. You had an issue with wages, you stated that, you explained the reason why. This is how it SHOULD be done. Its a shame others don't use the decorum.

Last edited by Littletoe; Jan 14th 2007 at 10:20 am.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:06 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

But Sky. Would you in all honesty be able to afford a lifestyle block if you were still back home?

Kip
Never in a million years, I feel so lucky every time I go to our block. It's the best feeling ever in my life .... it's all mine!!!
I still like to moan though
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:11 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Let's not forget the average salary here is something like 20k. Look at the cost of petrol here, look at this new road pricing system. I read in the Telegraph this morning that a whole load of police are going to be sacked to save costs. The NHS is a mess, the education system is having an overhaul. At least there are jobs in NZ, at least you don't have to wait for months on end to receive proper medical treatment. Regarding the cost of living, presumably you researched housing, estimated bills, etc before leaving.

Anyway, the point of this thread is not to argue. True red said he was getting some bad vibes from some posts. When people have a legitimate reason for not liking NZ, then fair enough. All experiences are important. Its the posts that go a bit crazy and assume their personal experience will count for everyone. Its unfair to overload a perspective immigrant with experiences that might not be even be relevant to them, and the person is not coming from genuine concern. For example, when weighing up the pros and cons of moving countries, who gives a damn about bloody sausages??!! Some folk say eating meat here is like playing russian roulette! And why is it that people can't be diplomatic, why do they have to attack an entire nationality?? I'd LOVE to see some different nationalities come here and knock the hell out of the English (they'd have a lot of material), I bet no one would stand for it. I simply said that us Brits are known for moaning and I received replies pretty quickly.

I've seen some pretty awful threads here and responses that need to be vented elsewhere. Usually they turn personal, why is that? What's the sense there? New people are expressing their concern at this forum, shouldn't we be wondering why its coming across so unfriendly and negative? Its a waste of what is an excellent resource. You had an issue with wages, you stated that, you explained the reason why. This is how it SHOULD be done. Its a shame others don't use the dacorum.
Exactly we all can say exactly what we experience as long as we respect that other folk will find it different. I have two sisters and their paths in life have followed very different ones to me ... Im a lot poorer than them for a starters
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:12 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Never in a million years, I feel so lucky every time I go to our block. It's the best feeling ever in my life .... it's all mine!!!
I still like to moan though

Case and point then regarding my initial statement, 'You know us Brits, like to moan.'

Why don't people talk about the negatives and the positives together. Because that's what its all about.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:15 am
sky
Banned

Case and point then regarding my initial statement, 'You know us Brits, like to moan.'

Why don't people talk about the negatives and the positives together. Because that's what its all about.
It is, you are right! ... when I post I always assume that folk know I don't really mean it with such venom I am just saying it from a funny yorkshire point of view I suppose. I forget that it doesn't always come across so to folk from other countries and areas
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

It's true that wages are lower, probably a third lower than most comparable countries.

But, you should be really grateful for that, because if wages were the same as say Oz, most New Zealanders who have done a bunk across the ditch would still be here.
So there wouldn't be any need for British migrants to replace them

Kip
OK this was tongue-in-cheek. Sorry if it upset you.
But I do think the day will come when there will be a stop to migration into NZ. Five million (or less) is about all this county could handle sustainably.

What with resource depletion and global warming this may be one of the few countries where some sort of "normal" life could carry on.

Kip
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:22 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by sky
It is, you are right! ... when I post I always assume that folk know I don't really mean it with such venom I am just saying it from a funny yorkshire point of view I suppose. I forget that it doesn't always come across so to folk from other countries and areas
Tell me about it, my sense of humour can be so dry at times, people must think I'm really rude or mad. Or both. I just want everyone that comes here to have a good rounded view. Clearly you are happy there, which is great. But I wasn't sure until someone else questioned you.

My quest for world peace continues....
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:25 am
sky
Banned

OK this was tongue-in-cheek. Sorry if it upset you.
But I do think the day will come when there will be a stop to migration into NZ. Five million (or less) is about all this county could handle sustainably.

What with resource depletion and global warming this may be one of the few countries where some sort of "normal" life could carry on.

Kip
Cool well I would love to work toward self sufficiency.
I have rabbits and turkeys on my list so far for food.
Our land has cr*p soil but it's all we could afford so I think we could grow anything above the soil but not below.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:31 am
sky
Banned

Tell me about it, my sense of humour can be so dry at times, people must think I'm really rude or mad. Or both. I just want everyone that comes here to have a good rounded view. Clearly you are happy there, which is great. But I wasn't sure until someone else questioned you.

My quest for world peace continues....
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sky
Cool well I would love to work toward self sufficiency.
I have rabbits and turkeys on my list so far for food.
Our land has cr*p soil but it's all we could afford so I think we could grow anything above the soil but not below.
If it stony...........you could grow grapes!

Kip
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

The internet is a double edged sword isn't it? I'll explain in a bit.

We left the UK because I for one believed (and I'm going to drop all the long words I've used before) it was turning very rapidly to shit.
We read the 'anti' posts and still came...and we are still glad we did. We know that nothing in the world is perfect, but who in their right mind would expect to live in a perfect world? NZ isn't perfect, but it is currently a nicer place to be than UK. Put aside the (relatively) lower wages and the (minimally) longer working week, and think how much a holiday in Australia would cost you from UK, and how often you could do it. How many citrus trees, tomato plants, etc can you grow in the open in a UK garden?

I don't want this to sound like I'm making NZ out to be a paradise, of course it isn't, but I won't be leaving anytime soon.

Back to the internet (on the negative side). How many people have been put off coming here because they read something on sites like this from a disenchanted few. The first Europeans to come here did it because it was an adventure, a new land and new opportunities. Obviously they had no internet. That is how I believe everyone should look at it...it's how we did, an adventure, probably the last and biggest we would ever take.

(On the positive side of the internet) For the people who preach on isolation..it's of their own making. Those people obviously have access to the web, therefore all world news is at their fingertips, so what's this talk of isolation. I know as much as I wish to know about what is going on in the world, and I know I can always find out more by switching on my PC.

For god's sake, if you have thought about coming then it must be for a reason...so have an adventure, be a pioneer, give it a go!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 10:43 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by StevieB
The internet is a double edged sword isn't it? I'll explain in a bit.

We left the UK because I for one believed (and I'm going to drop all the long words I've used before) it was turning very rapidly to shit.
We read the 'anti' posts and still came...and we are still glad we did. We know that nothing in the world is perfect, but who in their right mind would expect to live in a perfect world? NZ isn't perfect, but it is currently a nicer place to be than UK. Put aside the (relatively) lower wages and the (minimally) longer working week, and think how much a holiday in Australia would cost you from UK, and how often you could do it. How many citrus trees, tomato plants, etc can you grow in the open in a UK garden?

I don't want this to sound like I'm making NZ out to be a paradise, of course it isn't, but I won't be leaving anytime soon.

Back to the internet (on the negative side). How many people have been put off coming here because they read something on sites like this from a disenchanted few. The first Europeans to come here did it because it was an adventure, a new land and new opportunities. Obviously they had no internet. That is how I believe everyone should look at it...it's how we did, an adventure, probably the last and biggest we would ever take.

(On the positive side of the internet) For the people who preach on isolation..it's of their own making. Those people obviously have access to the web, therefore all world news is at their fingertips, so what's this talk of isolation. I know as much as I wish to know about what is going on in the world, and I know I can always find out more by switching on my PC.

For god's sake, if you have thought about coming then it must be for a reason...so have an adventure, be a pioneer, give it a go!
Ok

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.