Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:28 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by Apple12
I seem to recall you later moved to Christchurch? Neither my husband or I have had trouble picking up temp work in ChCh while waiting for the perfect job to come along.
I only ever looked for work in Christchurch. After being turned down for every job I went for I ran out of money after 6 months and returned to the West Coast to play my guitar in pubs for pocket money and live on the charity of my in-laws. It is the only time I have ever been unemployed in my life.

I never want to experience that feeling again.

Buzzy
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:05 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

Often as not the real conflicts on this forum are between two two of the main types of BE posters, lets call them the "wannabes" and the "moaners" for arguments sake.

The wannabes live in the Uk, have probably certainly already decided to move to NZ, and are mainly on the boards to get a bit more practical info, and importantly to get as much reinforcement as they cant that the decision they have made (or are about to make) must be the right one. When they read some of the more negative posts they really start squirming.

The moaners are in NZ, may or may not be settling in well, but almost certainly have a few gripes about what they are finding in NZ. Something doesn't live up to their expectations. It might be something really quite important, like the boss is an a**ehole, and shite wages, or something really quite trivial like can't find UK style pork sausages, or a shop like Tescos or M&S.

Thing is, when you've moved to the other side of the world, maybe following the big dream, then it really can be a bit hard at times when not everything is going to plan, and life is not the paradise it should have been. More than that, it can be totally demoralising if it is turning to custard, and whether or not its true, the easiest thing is to blame it on the country.
And its no use bitching about it to kiwis, or even to your friends and families back in the Uk. So the obvious thing is to vent all your frustration out on the web.

When the moaners post, the wannabes don't like what they read. And when the wannabes act like they've got rose tinted glasses, then the moaners get totally frustrated and their usual refrain will be 'well you were warned'.

Just my 5.5cents worth.

ps. the real worry to me, is what happens to a third class of poster, lets call them the "undecided" immigrant, who may or may not be able to distinguish fact from opinion when reading some of the more extreme negative or positive posts. I've seen a number of posters stop immigrating because of what is posted on forums, so it is not an overstatement to say that people may post on here may be a life changing event for somebody.

Sorry for the over-analysis everyone
Old Jan 15th 2007, 12:10 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by southerner
ps. the real worry to me, is what happens to a third class of poster, lets call them the "undecided" immigrant, who may or may not be able to distinguish fact from opinion when reading some of the more extreme negative or positive posts. I've seen a number of posters stop immigrating because of what is posted on forums, so it is not an overstatement to say that people may post on here may be a life changing event for somebody.

You have forgotten about the fourth class of immigrant - those who have moved over and are actually happy in NZ and don't want to move back to the UK (= Me).
This group is also possibly under represented on boards like these, as often they are to busy getting on with it to be posting.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

You have forgotten about the fourth class of immigrant - those who have moved over and are actually happy in NZ and don't want to move back to the UK (= Me).
This group is also possibly under represented on boards like these, as often they are to busy getting on with it to be posting.
this is me aswell, and there are a few of us who post on here, I can think of a few names of the top of my head

Me
Apple 12
Jude J
Sarah B
Poppets
Karoniuos/Stevie B
Cottage in the sky
Sharkyuk (he'll yell at me if i forget him again)
Mr Caton
Southerner

this is not an extensive list and is by no means meant to be an indication that these are the only happy people

please feel free to add to this list as these are the only few I can think of when I am shirking between calls at work

Last edited by kwprwn; Jan 15th 2007 at 2:54 am. Reason: forgot someone...DOH!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:05 am
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

Originally Posted by StevieB
The internet is a double edged sword isn't it? I'll explain in a bit.

We left the UK because I for one believed (and I'm going to drop all the long words I've used before) it was turning very rapidly to shit.
We read the 'anti' posts and still came...and we are still glad we did. We know that nothing in the world is perfect, but who in their right mind would expect to live in a perfect world? NZ isn't perfect, but it is currently a nicer place to be than UK. Put aside the (relatively) lower wages and the (minimally) longer working week, and think how much a holiday in Australia would cost you from UK, and how often you could do it. How many citrus trees, tomato plants, etc can you grow in the open in a UK garden?

I don't want this to sound like I'm making NZ out to be a paradise, of course it isn't, but I won't be leaving anytime soon.

Back to the internet (on the negative side). How many people have been put off coming here because they read something on sites like this from a disenchanted few. The first Europeans to come here did it because it was an adventure, a new land and new opportunities. Obviously they had no internet. That is how I believe everyone should look at it...it's how we did, an adventure, probably the last and biggest we would ever take.

(On the positive side of the internet) For the people who preach on isolation..it's of their own making. Those people obviously have access to the web, therefore all world news is at their fingertips, so what's this talk of isolation. I know as much as I wish to know about what is going on in the world, and I know I can always find out more by switching on my PC.

For god's sake, if you have thought about coming then it must be for a reason...so have an adventure, be a pioneer, give it a go!
WOW!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:37 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Not forgotten about, because I am one too!

But because we are happy with our lot, we probably get less out of the boards than the other groups, and can take it or leave it.

I've said it before, a lot of what I like about NZ is due to its small population. So there is very little incentive for me to encourage new immigrants with overly glowing posts. That said, from a purely selfish viewpoint, it is nice that my NZ property value is being propped up by immigration.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Not forgotten about, because I am one too!

But because we are happy with our lot, we probably get less out of the boards than the other groups, and can take it or leave it.

I've said it before, a lot of what I like about NZ is due to its small population. So there is very little incentive for me to encourage new immigrants with overly glowing posts. That said, from a purely selfish viewpoint, it is nice that my NZ property value is being propped up by immigration.
oops sorry forgot you in my happy list, so have added you now
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:09 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

the real worry to me, is what happens to a third class of poster, lets call them the "undecided" immigrant, who may or may not be able to distinguish fact from opinion when reading some of the more extreme negative or positive posts. I've seen a number of posters stop immigrating because of what is posted on forums, so it is not an overstatement to say that people may post on here may be a life changing event for somebody.

Good post Southerner

What people need to realise is immigration is hard work and not to be taken lightly. NZ is a beautiful country but it comes at a price - what people need to really think about is if that price is worth them paying.

I was born and bred there but will not return to live (at least not in the near future). It has changed alot since I left in the early 90's and from my view for the worse. However others will love it.

What bugs alot of people (especially locals) are the crowd that want a little England with better weather (ha ha) where every one speaks english (again ha ha).

If you have a passion for the outdoors and have done the proper research it should be all you think it will be. If you on the other hand are moving through pressure in UK or "hoping" its a better life be warned listen to the posters and there gripes - they are infuriating but you need to filter through them to gain valuable knowledge into the migration journey.

I still dont understand those who claim they can't find work (excluding the SI where it is a different kettle of fish). The concern over hours worked must be a culture difference - we tend to focus more on getting the job done - if it can be done in 4 days long weekend, if 6 days are needed its a short weekend. Okay I have done +50 hours since 16 but if you aren't prepared to work hard life will be tough not just in NZ but also the UK.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:15 am
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by kwprwn
oops sorry forgot you in my happy list, so have added you now
Gee thanks, nothing like being on a list.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:24 am
Here in Dunedin

Originally Posted by thebears

I still dont understand those who claim they can't find work (excluding the SI where it is a different kettle of fish).
SI has lower unemployment on the whole.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:26 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Well balanced post thebears, you touched on some good things there.

I don't think that people do want a "little England" really, that's what they are trying to get away from. Missing things like decent sausages and M&S doesn't mean that someone wants to re-create Britain here.

If people are genuinely getting put off by reading real life accounts on forums like this then perhaps it isn't for them? Better to find out this way than for them to move all their worldly goods to the other side of the world at great expense and then find out.

IMO I think a lot of people have done just that, realised it probably wasn't the best decision they've made but can't afford to go back. They're stuck here now, making the best of it and concentrating on the positives.

At the very least people should be making a preliminary trip over to see if they like NZ before committing themselves to something so important. It's a bit like an arranged marriage otherwise, one where you don't get to see the groom until the wedding night.

Last edited by Nerine; Jan 15th 2007 at 3:29 am.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:30 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
It's a bit like an arranged marriage otherwise, one where you don't get to see the groom until the wedding night.
or the bride:scared:

Perhaps what is needed is a help line for those stuck (lifeboats to Oz?)
Old Jan 15th 2007, 3:31 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice guy used to do trips to the airport .........has he got a boat?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:15 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Can you add me to the list?? I have found enjoying NZ can be a negative on these forums, hence i am a reader, not a poster.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 5:17 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple Tree
Can you add me to the list?? I have found enjoying NZ can be a negative on these forums, hence i am a reader, not a poster.
Well welcome ........ to the Happy People's club

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.