Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Jan 13th 2007, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

true red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nice
Default Its enough to put you off!

I have just read some old threads and got totally bad vibes from them. They were mainly down on the cost of living, education, taxes and interest rates. I realise we need to know the pros and cons but the negativity really puts you down. the main thread mentioned that most kiwis with any nowse, do the bunk abroad. I wont name and shame but whats the truth on the points above, purely from an expats point of view.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 4:13 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

Well, we've not even visited yet, but are going at it with eyes open, very ready for it not being for us, etc.

I agree the negativity has got to silly levels in this forum recently. Very sad! I just take it with a bucket of salt.

Welcome to BE!
Old Jan 13th 2007, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

true red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nicetrue red is just really nice

Cheers i will go and buy my bucket, seriously though there is a lot of bad vibes.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 4:54 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by true red
Cheers i will go and buy my bucket, seriously though there is a lot of bad vibes.
You know us Brits, moan like hell about our own country, and then consequently moan about everyone else's when we get there. The concept of this forum strikes me as being for people who are either moving to NZ, or already in NZ. I can't understand why other people visit to have a blo*dy good moan. Everyone's got a story, everyone's got an opinion. But be strong! Learn from the bad, and enjoy the good and useful info on here. My husband's a Kiwi and he finds most of the comments on here hilarious (and he's rich and educated - apparantly not your average Kiwi!). He has his own point of view on England and how we live here, and to be honest, he paints a pretty grim image. If you feel that NZ has what you want in a lifestyle, go try it out. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, but let it be your own experiences that help you decide, no one else's. Make sure you give it plenty of time though, there's the honeymoon period, then the 'oh-crap-we're-staying' period, where you miss tea, maltesers and Marks and Spencer. Then one day, you wake up and realise that you're not working all the hours under the sun, that you get to spend more with family and friends, that you live near a beach, and you're a stones throw from the pacific islands.

And if you find yourself doubting the goodness that is Blighty, read a newspaper everyday and see what an embaressing state this country has got itself into.

Go forth my friend and conquer. Path a new life for yourself and your family, and dodge the trolls along the way.

Nikki x
Old Jan 13th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Littletoe
You know us Brits, moan like hell about our own country, and then consequently moan about everyone else's when we get there.

Er...dont you mean "You know us English"......

In my experience the Irish, Welsh and Scots just get on with it.

The term whingeing poms really refers to the English (esp from the SE) LOL
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

I have just read some old threads and got totally bad vibes from them. They were mainly down on the cost of living, education, taxes and interest rates. I realise we need to know the pros and cons but the negativity really puts you down. the main thread mentioned that most kiwis with any nowse, do the bunk abroad. I wont name and shame but whats the truth on the points above, purely from an expats point of view.
its mainly down to the sausages... if you dont eat sausages you can have a fairly content life in nz - so long as you keep the prozac up....
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Now now squirrel your replies are enough to turn anyone to prozac, just keep taking the acorns. And with a bit of luck you may be ok.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 6:39 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephen
Er...dont you mean "You know us English"......

In my experience the Irish, Welsh and Scots just get on with it.

The term whingeing poms really refers to the English (esp from the SE) LOL
I don't know about that. I've had quite a bit of international experience and I think even the Scots and Irish are guilty of having a good old moan. Can't add the Welsh because I've not met any (abroad). As for bringing up the divide between Northerners and Southerners, I don't find moaning is any greater from from either side. About equal. I don't know where most of the negative posts on here originate from, but I'm sure its about equal.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

These are serious matters that you need to look into and don't ignore. You life will be more different than you have ever imagined, from what you buy at the take away to the clothes you will wear. My advice would be to read the negative posts find out the bad, then you will be a little more prepared, work out for yourself who you listen to and who is just out for a moan, or just really bitter...if someone who is happy in NZ sayes something bad you know they are being realistic. (sorry I didn't mean this post to sound so serious and lectureishhh!!!)
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:21 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by Littletoe
one day, you wake up and realise that you're not working all the hours under the sun,
Nikki x

errr Nikki working hours in NZ are considerably longer than they are in the UK. Normal week is 40 or 45. In the UK its 35 or 37.5. Plus in NZ you are expected to work many many hours extra for no pay at all.

For instance I read in the Chch Press recently that policemen in the South Island do about 1 month's free overtime every year.

In the UK employers pay you for overtime, often at preferential rates.

Buzzy
Old Jan 13th 2007, 7:25 pm
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
errr Nikki working hours in NZ are considerably longer than they are in the UK. Normal week is 40 or 45. In the UK its 35 or 37.5. Plus in NZ you are expected to work many many hours extra for no pay at all.

For instance I read in the Chch Press recently that policemen in the South Island do about 1 month's free overtime every year.

In the UK employers pay you for overtime, often at preferential rates.

Buzzy
I guess it depends on the type of work you're in. Fortunatly, we know what kind of hours to expect and its considerably less and more flexible for us, a situation most of our friends in NZ and Aussie have also found.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I work for the MOD/NZDF. 40hrs pw, good working conditions, good superannuation scheme. Government pay is never exactly stellar but the other benefits compensate to some extent. Check out:
http://www.jobs.govt.nz/
Old Jan 13th 2007, 9:06 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

You need to know as much as you can - obviously. It's good to know that houses can be cold in winter if they have no insulation; it's good to know that not everyone thinks it's cheap here; it's good to know that there is a lot of rain (at the moment anyway). I knew these things when we got here - my husband is a Kiwi and had been away for a long time and he had forgotten what it was really like too - it was that thing of the summers always being long and hot in your childhood! So, it was good for him to know these things too.

It's not perfect here (Broadband for instance is driving me mad at the moment - Telecom!!! 4 countries I've lived in and in 4 countries Telecom has been my bugbear! The weather at the moment is depressing - not the rain actually, it's the humidity we can't stand, but then again if it wasn't raining there probably wouldn't be so much humidity

I think the best thing anyone can do is not to focus on the differences between NZ and where you've come from and also not on the differences between you (One) and the people. For me, wherever I've lived has always been about the people - my friendships. So, look for the similarities instead of the differences and I (my opinion) don't think you (One ) can go far wrong.
Old Jan 13th 2007, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Now now squirrel your replies are enough to turn anyone to prozac, just keep taking the acorns. And with a bit of luck you may be ok.
im fine thanks - i escaped..... just dont tell me i didnt warn you....
Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:14 pm
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

If the threads get you down don't read them. Come over and make up your own opinion. What is good for me, might not be good for you. To be honest if you read to much negative stuff you probably would not come, which would be a shame. You might love it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.