Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Jan 13th 2007, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
If the threads get you down don't read them. Come over and make up your own opinion. What is good for me, might not be good for you. To be honest if you read to much negative stuff you probably would not come, which would be a shame. You might love it!
indeed.. or you might hate it
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Ah,the truth,the truth.What is it? It's whatever you think it is yourself. Often not what others think. Or sometimes you're right,but in others views you aren't.
Tis a killer. I've just said goodbye to some lovely people,so someone better be honest. Or maybe not!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by true red
I have just read some old threads and got totally bad vibes from them. They were mainly down on the cost of living, education, taxes and interest rates. I realise we need to know the pros and cons but the negativity really puts you down. the main thread mentioned that most kiwis with any nowse, do the bunk abroad. I wont name and shame but whats the truth on the points above, purely from an expats point of view.
"True Red' Lol If you only want to read 100% positive about NZ, then maybe this forum isn't for you.
This forum is about people's real life experiences here, be they good or bad.
Like I say, if you want to hear all things positive about NZ, maybe the NZIS or some tourist brochure is more what you are looking for?
However it may not fully prepare you for some real life experiences you may encounter, once here, be they good ones or bad ones.
Good Luck 'True Red'
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:35 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

True Red (your political leanings or just an interior design theme? ) why are you looking through the old posts? surely the more up to date ones are just as useful.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Piss on it all dude. Good luck,and best wishes making your own mind up.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 2:22 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Folk just are posting their real life experiences in NZ sometimes with a bit of tongue in cheek british humour
Why come onto a public open forum if you can't accept that people will have differing views of a country and different expectations.
Your experiences will be different again to everyone elses but hopefully good or bad you will post a few updates to let folk know what the real NZ is like from an expats point of view
Old Jan 14th 2007, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Folk just are posting their real life experiences in NZ sometimes with a bit of tongue in cheek british humour
Why come onto a public open forum if you can't accept that people will have differing views of a country and different expectations.
Your experiences will be different again to everyone elses but hopefully good or bad you will post a few updates to let folk know what the real NZ is like from an expats point of view
Yes and if you have any bad experiences, we promise not to tell you off. We certainly wont 'name and shame' you??? Cant think why anyone would need to feel ashamed of the bad experiences they have had here??
Look at it another way.
I have NEVER been burgled, here or anywhere I have lived. But am not stupid enough to think, just because I have not been burgled, that burglers don't exist.
Same goes with good and bad experiences.
Some folk come here and have no bad experiences, hopefully they are intelligent enough to know that bad experiences do exist though for others.
Likewise, I am fully aware, that good experiences exist for others and I also believe their experience has been a good one.
Personally, I am glad of the experiences we have had here, because it has allowed me to look at NZ differently to what I had done previously.
I now know what I want in life and what I dont want, and what I dont want is to live with poor wages and high prices whilst living in isolation from the rest of the world.
So, NZ is not for us, not now, not ever, unless it drifts nearer to Europe sometime in the future and brings itself more up to date too.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:07 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Littletoe
I guess it depends on the type of work you're in. Fortunatly, we know what kind of hours to expect and its considerably less and more flexible for us, a situation most of our friends in NZ and Aussie have also found.
If you've got a sackful of money this place can be fun - obviously you do have what with your husband being 'rich and educated'.

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jan 14th 2007 at 7:12 am. Reason: Please don't make personal insults on the forum
Old Jan 14th 2007, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you feel put off by other people's experiences then maybe your just looking for an excuse not to go. Before we came over there was a lot of negative posting on the forum, to which some complained, I felt it was a good thing to read the negatives of other people then you really knew if after all of it and you were still as keen, then this is something you truly want and not just a fancy.
After all its a bloody expensive mistake if you really don't want it.
We have been here coming up to 6 months now, loving it and feel New Zealand if definately for us.
Its not another England which we also loved, its a different country with different ways, customs and a different way of living and for us its fantastic and best of all, FREEDOM. You'll understand when you get here. The people are lovely and they are just as curious of us as we are of them.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:47 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
If you've got a sackful of money this place can be fun - obviously you do have what with your husband being 'rich and educated'.
I wanted to put that because I've read time and time again that Kiwis have a poor education system and the pay there is lousy. So lets not get catty.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:06 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I wanted to put that because I've read time and time again that Kiwis have a poor education system and the pay there is lousy. So lets not get catty.
The pay is lousy though for the average working person here ... there's no denying that is there?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:14 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
The pay is lousy though for the average working person here ... there's no denying that is there?
I guess if you look at pay for similiar jobs in the UK, but the cost of living is much better then here. But if people are disappointed with the rate of pay, why move to NZ? Presumably people look at wages before moving, so what's the point of moaning about?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky

It's true that wages are lower, probably a third lower than most comparable countries.

But, you should be really grateful for that, because if wages were the same as say Oz, most New Zealanders who have done a bunk across the ditch would still be here.
So there wouldn't be any need for British migrants to replace them

Kip

Last edited by Kippers; Jan 14th 2007 at 9:35 am. Reason: Too many mosts :)
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:33 am
sky
Banned

I guess if you look at pay for similiar jobs in the UK, but the cost of living is much better then here. But if people are disappointed with the rate of pay, why move to NZ? Presumably people look at wages before moving, so what's the point of moaning about?
Circumstances change sometimes for folk, we came here to supposedly good paying jobs but things turned a bit sour. If I converted to dollars what I earned in pounds in the UK I should have been earning $27ph but the same job here only pays $15.50.
Im sure no one comes over knowing they will be on the poverty line do they but the cost of living is a bit more than I for one was led to believe.
I may come across as having a moan but I'm not, Im just being a realist IMO
Old Jan 14th 2007, 9:35 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Kippers
It's true that most wages are lower, probably a third lower than most comparable countries.

But, you should be really grateful for that, because if wages were the same as say Oz, most New Zealanders who have done a bunk across the ditch would still be here.
So there wouldn't be any need for British migrants to replace them

Kip
Oh dear what a daft statement

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.