Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:03 am
ex corrections officer

Puppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to allPuppypower is a name known to all
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by StevieB
The internet is a double edged sword isn't it? I'll explain in a bit.

We left the UK because I for one believed (and I'm going to drop all the long words I've used before) it was turning very rapidly to shit.
We read the 'anti' posts and still came...and we are still glad we did. We know that nothing in the world is perfect, but who in their right mind would expect to live in a perfect world? NZ isn't perfect, but it is currently a nicer place to be than UK. Put aside the (relatively) lower wages and the (minimally) longer working week, and think how much a holiday in Australia would cost you from UK, and how often you could do it. How many citrus trees, tomato plants, etc can you grow in the open in a UK garden?

I don't want this to sound like I'm making NZ out to be a paradise, of course it isn't, but I won't be leaving anytime soon.

Back to the internet (on the negative side). How many people have been put off coming here because they read something on sites like this from a disenchanted few. The first Europeans to come here did it because it was an adventure, a new land and new opportunities. Obviously they had no internet. That is how I believe everyone should look at it...it's how we did, an adventure, probably the last and biggest we would ever take.

(On the positive side of the internet) For the people who preach on isolation..it's of their own making. Those people obviously have access to the web, therefore all world news is at their fingertips, so what's this talk of isolation. I know as much as I wish to know about what is going on in the world, and I know I can always find out more by switching on my PC.

For god's sake, if you have thought about coming then it must be for a reason...so have an adventure, be a pioneer, give it a go!
I have read this thread this morning. and i had an idea for a reply but it took stevieb to make my point....PIONEER!
How do you know something is not for you if you don't try it?
If you want to parachute jump, ask the relevant questions of someone who has done it. If they had a bad experience then maybe they weren't as prepared as they could have been. If the experience was good take the positives and make your own mind up!
No right minded person would go up in a plane, strap on a parachute and just jump out!
The same goes for emigrating....do your own homework, don't copy someone elses or you'll end up in schtuck!
research, research, research.
Our friends live in invercargill, we are going to Dunedin. Our experiences are, no doubt, going to be different than theirs because we are different and so are our circumstances.
I like this site because there is a lot of good info on here but there is also a lot of bo***cks!
I just choose what info i take for my own needs.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puppypower
I have read this thread this morning. and i had an idea for a reply but it took stevieb to make my point....PIONEER!
If you want to parachute jump, ask the relevant questions of someone who has done it. If they had a bad experience then maybe they weren't as prepared as they could have been. If the experience was good take the positives and make your own mind up!
No right minded person would go up in a plane, strap on a parachute and just jump out!
The same goes for emigrating....do your own homework, don't copy someone elses or you'll end up in schtuck!
Our friends live in invercargill, we are going to Dunedin. Our experiences are, no doubt, going to be different than theirs because we are different and so are our circumstances.
I like this site because there is a lot of good info on here but there is also a lot of bo***cks!

steve ...pioneer that'll go to his head & he'll want more in the bar now
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:21 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by puppypower
Good luck (and karma) to you mate: read shit-loads, understand that different people have different views..
Open that blooody 'chute!
Karen B
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:29 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

It's hard isn't it but don't completely block out us folk who don't have sunshine rainbow posts all the time.
I came over here to make a go of it 100% and I don't doubt that every migrant to this country came over with the same goal too.
We have lived life here so at least are entitled to say how it is for us and I always ... even before I landed here wanted to let folk know how it was for the normal working person ... good or bad
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:35 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
It's hard isn't it but don't completely block out us folk who don't have sunshine rainbow posts all the time.
I came over here to make a go of it 100% and I don't doubt that every migrant to this country came over with the same goal too.
We have lived life here so at least are entitled to say how it is for us and I always ... even before I landed here wanted to let folk know how it was for the normal working person ... good or bad
Yes, but the issue as it always has been, somethings are just outright silly! I'm certainly not going to hang myself by quoting some of the comments I've read, but I think we can all appeciate, there is a difference between using personal experiences for the greater good and trying to help people. Or simply mouthing off with ludicrous statements that carry no weight and seemingly no purpose. The word 'bitter' was used to describe some posts that should be ignored. I think some people would be better placed sounding off in therapy then in a forum like this, because its more than bitterness that motivates some people! There's just where I'm coming from, having trawled through posts, trying to gain an objective point of view, since so many people have recently commented on the negative comments here.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
And that is a very important view point for all to consider. However, what should also be taken into consideration are those posts from people who are having a bad time and, because of this, refuse to see there are positive aspects compared with living in the UK, but completely disregard these and give an unbalanced, negative view on everything to do with NZ, merely because of the way they feel about their own current circumstances.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:45 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
And that is a very important view point for all to consider. However, what should also be taken into consideration are those posts from people who are having a bad time and, because of this, refuse to see there are positive aspects compared with living in the UK, but completely disregard these and give an unbalanced, negative view on everything to do with NZ, merely because of the way they feel about their own current circumstances.
Wonderfully worded, completely accurate, couldn't put it better myself. Here's to you
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:09 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by Littletoe
At least there are jobs in NZ,
Not in my experience there weren't. I was job hunting for more than 6 months there and went for interviews for everything. Cleaning cars? "Sorry, you've no experience". Working in a Resene paint shop for $9 per hour? Hmm we'll let you know after we've inteviewed the other 150 applicants (that figure is true btw). My wife (a Kiwi) took three months to get a job stapling together bits of paper in a hardware shops admin dept. In England we were a sales manager and Chairman's PA respectively, and when we returned to England, we both had jobs within 2 weeks, paying more than we'd ever earned before.

In my own personal experience, New Zealand is a jobs desert unless you have personal contacts, which most immigrants won't have.

at least you don't have to wait for months on end to receive proper medical treatment.

Yes you do. My FIL paid NZ$40,000 for a heart stent because the waiting list was so long he would probably have died before he got to the top of it.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Sorry but on another subject entirely

ASIATIC FOR EMPEROR!!!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:15 pm
Sweeeeet!

In my own personal experience, New Zealand is a jobs desert unless you have personal contacts, which most immigrants won't have.

I'm sorry you had bad experiences, but its not like that for everyone. My daughter received excellent care for her heart diagnosis, and my husband was able to find constant temp work while we were there. Its these reasons amongst others that we're going back. In the UK, we had terrible trouble getting good care for my daughter and my husband struggled to find here. I appreciate its not the same for everyone, I just wanted to offer some positives.

Buzzy[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:20 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

North or South Island Littletoe?

The 2 seem very different.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:31 pm
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
North or South Island Littletoe?

The 2 seem very different.

Buzzy
I had an excellent 'holiday' in the South Island, we're considering living there. But its likely we'll be based in the NI, which is where I was previously based. And where we received the excellent healthcare.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:34 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

I had an excellent 'holiday' in the South Island, we're considering living there. But its likely we'll be based in the NI, which is where I was previously based. And where we received the excellent healthcare.
(Asiatic for Emporer?)
GO ASIATIC!!!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 1:00 pm
Victorian Evangelist

My experience is from the South Island. As I said, the two seem very different.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
My experience is from the South Island. As I said, the two seem very different.
Buzzy
If I recall correctly, you chose a small town on the west coast of the south island? So perhaps not so much NI vs SI, but simply a small town syndrome.
I seem to recall you later moved to Christchurch? Neither my husband or I have had trouble picking up temp work in ChCh while waiting for the perfect job to come along.
Finding work is all about population size, meeting people and research into possible employers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.