Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many people are moving?

How many people are moving?

Old May 23rd 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many people are moving?

Originally Posted by Lexylou
thank you Weezer, it is nice to get a public vote for me,...... I do appreciate it. Usually it is a pm here and there from people to frightened to offer support on here! Wonder why?
I don't know. Perhaps they want everyone's approval? Odd, isn't it. At least in my case I assume I'm somewhat anonymous. It is unpleasant to receive personal insults. I almost stopped posting when I first got some, I must admit. I realize, though, I really don't have anything to lose! And I'm a bit of an outsider, which I think helps.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

NZ suits lots, but not all. Everywhere has issues, the UK is full of them, just like NZ. But I do not post on some living in the UK type of forum how crap I felt my life was in my tiny bit of a huge country. Why don't the moaners let sleeping dogs lie????
Because it is the 'moaners' that give the forum balance. Something that seems to be hated by all of those desperate to stamp that out.

This is a forum for people who are moving to NZ, people that are in NZ and for people that have experience of living in NZ. Please can you show me where it says in the rules that says otherwise. Even the mods had to point this out on here recently. Opinion..... that is all it is..... what is done with it is not my concern.

I am married to a Kiwi, therefore my child is HALF kiwi. I have lived in NZ, I was married in NZ, I visit NZ twice a year, I think you will find that gives me plenty reason to post on here.

I suggest if you really have such a problem with it that you speak to the mods and the only way I will leave is if they ask me to leave.

I post on other parts of BE as I may move again one day so am making good contacts and having a laugh, I find the site very useful, for all the positive and negative posts about a place. I get lots of advice on the other section I post on but if someone is negative I never for one second think about abusing them for it, in fact no one does. They are a happy bunch that are often 'negative' about where they are living, but I just prefer to call it realistic. So I don't understand why this cannot happen here!! Can you explain?surely it takes all sorts and one mans pleasure and another mans poision......
Lets just all live in harmony and get on, respect each others opinions and not take everything to heart. Light hearted banter is a good thing but name calling and hounding is not.

So do you fancy calling a truce? I cannot speak for all of us negatives as you cannot speak for all the positives but I can speak for myself. Can you?
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

So do you fancy calling a truce? I cannot speak for all of us negatives as you cannot speak for all the positives but I can speak for myself. Can you?[/QUOTE]

Sure, I don't want to piss anyone off. I guess, (to be honest) I feel its a bit like me going on the 'moving back to the UK forum' and putting my thoughts on there. The UK did not 'work' for me in the end, NZ is right for me now (inspite of missing much about the UK..sometimes I feel very 'homesick!!).

I do not want to dent anyones aspirations about a return to the old country..good luck to them, horses for courses. Do you see my point?

I like to feel that I offer some balance in my liking of NZ..there are shed loads (excuse the housing pun) of issues, problems and negatives about life here. I could write about them all day. There is positive and negative in everything.

I also guess that I feel comments like 'NZ is boring' are not very helpful. Talking about the poor housing and how to get round it is valid and worthwhile..as is warning them about the cost of living, the isolation, the culture shock, poor driving standards etc.

Its the way people write rather than what they say. Constructive critique is always very welcome. People like the badger who posted a crying windows thumb nail with the ledgend 'enjoy the dream'...well thats just being childish. How about telling people how to eradicate the problem as I did rather than bitch about it?
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

oh well I tried.
Am off to enjoy a glass of wine.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

All the things that are mentioned are just relative, e.g driving standards , "paf", I drive to work in NZ knowing i will not face mad sneaky (drunk ?) Belgian drivers overtaking in Bus Laybys and jumping queues. It is so relaxing and i do not have to worry about arriving in 1 piece.

All the negatives mentioned do have some truth in them but most English NZ immigrants stay here which says a lot to me

Last edited by brussels_sprout; May 23rd 2007 at 7:10 pm.
Old May 23rd 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

People like the badger who posted a crying windows thumb nail with the ledgend 'enjoy the dream'...well thats just being childish. How about telling people how to eradicate the problem as I did rather than bitch about it?
Genisis
That's the sort of info this site needs. Not why folk think NZ is C**p and their leaving to where the grass is greener. I've spent hours searching the home heating/airconditioning sites. Found underfloor heating/warm water heating/ heat pumps/electric pumps/heat-exchange systems/wetbacks/wood/ gas or pellet burners.Maybe a new thread on how to eradicate rather than bemoan "damp houses' would show that such problems can be overcome.. Wait for the fire!

Old May 23rd 2007, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Genisis
That's the sort of info this site needs. Not why folk think NZ is C**p and their leaving to where the grass is greener. I've spent hours searching the home heating/airconditioning sites. Found underfloor heating/warm water heating/ heat pumps/electric pumps/heat-exchange systems/wetbacks/wood/ gas or pellet burners.Maybe a new thread on how to eradicate rather than bemoan "damp houses' would show that such problems can be overcome.. Wait for the fire!

Jennie I had a cold, damp house. Easily sorted with a bit of research, know how and a willingness to make things work for me, rather than moaning to complete strangers. Good luck with your move!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jennie I had a cold, damp house. Easily sorted with a bit of research, know how and a willingness to make things work for me, rather than moaning to complete strangers. Good luck with your move!!
Seems yet again another 'positive' poster is keeping this whole divide going. Goodness man, I offered an olive branch, said that everyone has say and that we should respect each other without pointing fingers etc etc and still you go on about people moaning. What is the problem here as I think I must be missing something...
I need another glass of wine, you are driving me to drink. It seems it is actually the positive people that are actually the moaners and unable to let things go.

Take a deep breath Genesis and let it all go... you will feel much better for it.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:21 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

When we found out we were having her, we knew we had to get back to the UK to earn as much money as we could so that she would have a good future.
Why? I'm curious. Unless we're talking 'breadline', most kids are so very unaware of what they don't have and it's good for them not to have everything given to them so easily, otherwise they turn into spoilt brats.

What sorts of things are you thinking of for her future - a private education? That looks loads cheaper in NZ, even with wage differentials.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:27 pm

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default **: H*w many p**p** a** m*v*ng?

[Q**T*=**xy***;4821615]*t s**ms *t *s a*t*a**y th* p*s*t*v* p**p** that a** a*t*a**y th* m*an**s and *nab** t* **t th*ngs g*.
Q**T*]

* th*nk *t's b**a*s* th* 'p*s*t*v*' p*st**s a** s* p*agmat** and d*wn*t***a*th that th*y **nd *t ha*d t* b****v* th*s* *v**yday n*gat*v* *a*ts ** **** a** s**h a b*g d*a* t* *th**s.

S* what *'m **ad*ng *s G*n*s*s *****t*v**y t*y*ng t* say 'j*st **t *t g* and y**'** b* m**h happ***' b*t sad*y that m*ssag* *s n*t **m*ng th***gh at a**.

At th* *nd ** th* day, th*s* 'happy' p*st**s a**n't g**ng t* **s* any s***p whats**v** *v** p**p** m*an*ng ab**t damp, **aky h**s*s ** *th** n*gat*v* asp**ts t* NZ that th*y d*n't s** ** a**n't a****t*d by, th*y **nd *t a*m*st *nb****vab** that *th**s m*an ab**t *t and d*n't j*st g*t *n w*th s**t*ng *t **t and th*n *nj*y*ng ****.

That's my tak* *n th* 'd*v*d*' anyh*w. J*st t*ta**y d******nt **t***ks *n ****. N*t *nt*nd*d t* b* a*g*m*ntat*v* ** agg**ss*v* *n nat*** at a**. *t *s ha*d t* g*t t*n* a***ss v*a a ****m.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: **: H*w many p**p** a** m*v*ng?

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
[Q**T*=**xy***;4821615]*t s**ms *t *s a*t*a**y th* p*s*t*v* p**p** that a** a*t*a**y th* m*an**s and *nab** t* **t th*ngs g*.
Q**T*]

* th*nk *t's b**a*s* th* 'p*s*t*v*' p*st**s a** s* p*agmat** and d*wn*t***a*th that th*y **nd *t ha*d t* b****v* th*s* *v**yday n*gat*v* *a*ts ** **** a** s**h a b*g d*a* t* *th**s.

S* what *'m **ad*ng *s G*n*s*s *****t*v**y t*y*ng t* say 'j*st **t *t g* and y**'** b* m**h happ***' b*t sad*y that m*ssag* *s n*t **m*ng th***gh at a**.

At th* *nd ** th* day, th*s* 'happy' p*st**s a**n't g**ng t* **s* any s***p whats**v** *v** p**p** m*an*ng ab**t damp, **aky h**s*s ** *th** n*gat*v* asp**ts t* NZ that th*y d*n't s** ** a**n't a****t*d by, th*y **nd *t a*m*st *nb****vab** that *th**s m*an ab**t *t and d*n't j*st g*t *n w*th s**t*ng *t **t and th*n *nj*y*ng ****.

That's my tak* *n th* 'd*v*d*' anyh*w. J*st t*ta**y d******nt **t***ks *n ****. N*t *nt*nd*d t* b* a*g*m*ntat*v* ** agg**ss*v* *n nat*** at a**. *t *s ha*d t* g*t t*n* a***ss v*a a ****m.
is that supposed to be funny?
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Why? I'm curious. Unless we're talking 'breadline', most kids are so very unaware of what they don't have and it's good for them not to have everything given to them so easily, otherwise they turn into spoilt brats.

What sorts of things are you thinking of for her future - a private education? That looks loads cheaper in NZ, even with wage differentials.
Well I will have a spoiled brat on my hands.
Yes I am taking about education (private - and it is not all about price ) but I am talking about University, different opportunities and being able to afford to offer them to her. My OH is one of five. All of the five left NZ to find work opportunties and only two have returned. The two have had did so to run the family business. They did not find that for them there were enough opportunities in NZ. A million Kiwis will agree. For a graduate it is not that great in NZ. If we had stayed we would struggle to afford to send our daughter to anywhere that she might want to go. We want her to have EVERY opportunity open to her, just like our parents did for us.

Neither my job or my husbands job pay well in NZ. So it is not even relative to try and compaire. We earn over £100K in the UK between us and in NZ we were earning around $100K. Where we live we have more for our money in terms of a house and a live. It is not pound for dollar in terms of buying power and for us, our decision was to surround my daughter with family (we were south island and Kiwi family all in North, with NO opportunties for my husband in North) that she can grow up with, every opportunity open to her (and don't tell me children do not notice what they don't have - children are very savy these days and well aware of what is out there) and we want to send her to a school that will encourage her to grow what ever talents she has and then IF she decides not to go to University, we will have enough savings to help her out when she does need the helping hand. If that is spoiling her then that is our decision.

Also selfishly i do not want to be like my mother in law, all of her children out of NZ at one point trying for opportunities in the West. She missed them so much. I want to be close to my daughter, she may decide to go to NZ to study, great as we will be able to afford flights to see her. If we were in NZ and she was in the UK, we would struggle to afford to help her and afford regular flights. Does that answer your question?
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:46 pm

Default Re: **: H*w many p**p** a** m*v*ng?

is that supposed to be funny?
No, of course not. Nothing to do with me. The whole of the forum looked like that to me a few minutes ago! Weird.

Edit - see the top of this post, it's still 'weird' - bugger, I hope it's not my PC!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:48 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not your PC - the forum keeps doing it this eve.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems yet again another 'positive' poster is keeping this whole divide going. Goodness man, I offered an olive branch, said that everyone has say and that we should respect each other without pointing fingers etc etc and still you go on about people moaning. What is the problem here as I think I must be missing something...
I need another glass of wine, you are driving me to drink. It seems it is actually the positive people that are actually the moaners and unable to let things go.

Take a deep breath Genesis and let it all go... you will feel much better for it.
Lexylou-
Are you referring to me as "a positive" poster?
Is that something I should be ashamed about.
Is it not possible for people to see sound advice in others' posts as I have in Genesis'?
I joined this forum for support, advice and yes the 'truth' warts n all. I am aware there are many problems to starting a new life in NZ. I probably have far more than you could ever imagine. I also know from experience many of the difficulties we will face. But in my eyes, and I emphasize that this is a purely subjective opinion, the positives of living in NZ far out-weigh the negatives. You have been, tried it, decided it's not for you. That's fine. It's your decision to choose where you live. I have no problems with you stating the reasons why you don't like the experiences that you have had. My only query is do they apply to NZ as a whole or just where you lived? Did everyone who lived near you, in the same area feel the same?
If they did - it must have been the area- if they didn't- as has been oft said- 'it's horses for courses'.
Let's not fall out over the fact that different people look for different things and appreciate different things above others.
I hope your experience of living in NZ has made you stronger, wiser and left you with some happy memories. Peace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.