Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many people are moving?

How many people are moving?

Old May 23rd 2007, 9:45 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many people are moving?

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
. But alas it makes me think Burt the Badger was right with one of his comments,speculating some members have an overidding interest in painting a rosy picture.
When I WORKED in Japan it was common knowledge that the major companies dealing with foreigners would employ people to read Internet message boards and attack posters who made negative comments about the companies.

Now...tourism is a major part of New Zealand's economy and this country is looking to increase the number of immigrants. There's a possibility some posters could have a hidden agenda.

But then again....it could just be paranoia.

Last edited by Avid; May 23rd 2007 at 9:48 am.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
When I worked in Japan it was common knowledge that the major companies dealing with foreigners would employ people to read Internet message boards and attack posters who made negative comments about the companies.

Now...tourism is a major part of New Zealand's economy and this country is looking to increase the number of immigrants. There's a possibility some posters could have a hidden agenda.

But then again....it could just be paranoia.
anything is possible, people are often not who they say they are and a lot of stuff goes on that people are not aware of.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

And at the same time New Zealand makes a HUGE show about being a nuclear free country and being a bit liberal and hippy yet is quite happy to belong to this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCSB_Waihopai

which means all phone calls and emails, etc, are read by the NZ government on behalf of the USA.

Hello Mum!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:56 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
I daren't tell you where he works!
NZ immigration?!
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:16 am
Just Joined

wimsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Genesis
And on a beautiful day in the UK.......... ALL the shopping malls are totally empty, because everyone is taking in the history or popping over to Tuscany for the day, perchance they have gone to the beach..or just enjoying the traffic and general crowds?

If you are going to get critical about NZ...do it with some sense, aye???? Talk about the 'P' problem, boy racers, isolation, domestic violence, leaky, cold homes, expensive houses in relation to pay, etc, etc..but boring and unfriendly??? You reap what you sow matey!!! In 2 years never been bored and methinks the average Kiwi is rather friendly..maybe I put more effort in?

Enjoy.

FFS! Everybody thinks that all Kiwis are outdoors all the time playing with their surfboards or having a barbie......When all they want to do is spend!!
just my observation, no need to get narky....sheesh!!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wimsy
FFS! Everybody thinks that all Kiwis are outdoors all the time playing with their surfboards or having a barbie......When all they want to do is spend!!
just my observation, no need to get narky....sheesh!!!
but that is what they do best. Getting narky.
Old May 23rd 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

I know Burt Badger, many think he is a troll but he isn;t. he and his wife and family DID live in NZ and hated it.
Burt works away a lot which is why he isnt always around.
I wonder if many people think he's a troll, or is it that the ones that accuse him are so nasty and shrill about it they seem like a multitude?
I love his posts and he sure seems to get a lot of karma.

You and Lexylou are so right that materialism is alive and well here. It seems some people are seriously susceptible to NZers' boasts about themselves!

If this counts for anything, every single British person I have met while working in Auckland schools is either planning to leave or has left. The one exception is a teacher who told me he was "kidnapped" by his parents when he was fourteen. He is the harshest critic of NZ among all the Brits.
Although he's lived here for decades, he's lost not a bit of his accent.

Last edited by The Weezer; May 23rd 2007 at 1:56 pm.
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer

......If this counts for anything, every single British person I have met while working in Auckland schools is either planning to leave or has left. ......
Wonderful!

""Healthy land, sea, air and water: We protect the natural environment.
People-friendly places: We build healthy, accessible and attractive places and live in a sustainable region.
A strong economy: We all benefit from a sustainable, innovative and diversified economy.
Kind, healthy people: We are part of a welcoming, safe, inclusive and healthy community.
A fun, creative culture: We are proud of our creative local culture and regional identity.
Good leadership: Our leaders are proactive, innovative, and inclusive. ""

Ok- I'm easily led!

But in truth I'm happy that those who have been so bored, miserable, unhappy, cold, homesick, disillusioned and 'materialistic?' are leaving NZ. If life is going to be so hard for us when we get there, the last thing we need is being surrounded by (dare I say it) Winging Poms!
Sorry - I do appreciate NZ is not everyone's cup of tea. But its horses for courses.
There's a lot of places in the world that wouldn't appeal to me, whereas others may think them fantastic. Eg: Las Vegas- Disney Land- Brisbane- Tenerife- Costa del Sol- Blackpool- the list is endless but all of a similar genre attracting some- repelling others. Guess NZ is the same. What I fail to understand is what made some people choose NZ in the first place. It's been an accepted fact by many that it's 20-30 years behind the UK in many ways. Did they really expect everything to be like the UK in terms of wages, houses etc but with pretty landscapes and empty beaches.
Wherever you roam be careful and strive to be happy..
"With all its sham and drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful place".
Bit of poetic licence but what the hell.
Jennie
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:19 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Wonderful!

""Healthy land, sea, air and water: We protect the natural environment.
People-friendly places: We build healthy, accessible and attractive places and live in a sustainable region.
A strong economy: We all benefit from a sustainable, innovative and diversified economy.
Kind, healthy people: We are part of a welcoming, safe, inclusive and healthy community.
A fun, creative culture: We are proud of our creative local culture and regional identity.
Good leadership: Our leaders are proactive, innovative, and inclusive. ""

Ok- I'm easily led!

But in truth I'm happy that those who have been so bored, miserable, unhappy, cold, homesick, disillusioned and 'materialistic?' are leaving NZ. If life is going to be so hard for us when we get there, the last thing we need is being surrounded by (dare I say it) Winging Poms!
Sorry - I do appreciate NZ is not everyone's cup of tea. But its horses for courses.
There's a lot of places in the world that wouldn't appeal to me, whereas others may think them fantastic. Eg: Las Vegas- Disney Land- Brisbane- Tenerife- Costa del Sol- Blackpool- the list is endless but all of a similar genre attracting some- repelling others. Guess NZ is the same. What I fail to understand is what made some people choose NZ in the first place. It's been an accepted fact by many that it's 20-30 years behind the UK in many ways. Did they really expect everything to be like the UK in terms of wages, houses etc but with pretty landscapes and empty beaches.
"With all its sham and drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful place".
Jennie
karma to you Jennie - that is the most sensible post I have seen in a long while!
Old May 23rd 2007, 5:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
karma to you Jennie - that is the most sensible post I have seen in a long while!
Thank you Dreamfish. I was beginning to feel an outsider- reading peoples posts but reluctant to engage in discussion for fear of being discounted as an ageing relic (which I am quite happy to admit to)
Unable to appreciate the difficulties that the younger posters are going through.
I haven't always been over 60. I don't feel over 60! I have raised a family, suffered financial hardship etc etc.
Hey- enough- beginning to traddle.

Old May 23rd 2007, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
but that is what they do best. Getting narky.

And you lot don't? Sit back and look at the some of the stuff you lot write. we have a right to reply..you are not the only ones with thoughts you know.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

And I would much rather judge a country that I have lived in than a person I have NEVER met.
So true!
And worth repeating at the moment.

I'm glad you've not been hounded off, Lexylou. You've moved away, your opinion should be heard,
especially as it was asked for!

Last edited by The Weezer; May 23rd 2007 at 6:27 pm.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Genesis
And you lot don't? Sit back and look at the some of the stuff you lot write. we have a right to reply..you are not the only ones with thoughts you know.

Did I say you? why are you taking offence? and who are 'you lot'' ?
The difference is when I, for example say ANYTHING that 'the other side' don't like, I get name called and ganged up against. Or have you forgotten about that episode? (not saying you were involved directly)

I will never finger point at a specific person as I don't think that picking on people is very fair...... funny that, being a negative person (sigh....) one would imagine that is exactly what I would do.
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Weezer
So true!
And worth repeating at the moment.

I'm glad you've not been hounded off, Lexylou. You've moved away, you're opinion should be heard,
especially as it was asked for!
thank you Weezer, it is nice to get a public vote for me,...... I do appreciate it. Usually it is a pm here and there from people to frightened to offer support on here! Wonder why?
Old May 23rd 2007, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

What I fail to understand is what made some people choose NZ in the first place. It's been an accepted fact by many that it's 20-30 years behind the UK in many ways. Did they really expect everything to be like the UK in terms of wages, houses etc but with pretty landscapes and empty beaches.
Jennie [/QUOTE]

Jennie I think they expect it to be much like the UK but better. Its not. Its very far removed from the UK..I think some people can't handle that.

It is a hard place to feel like 'home'........especially after 2 score and more years of life in familiar, homely UK. The only way anyone will know if its for them is come out and have a gander. I think its worth the risk. I hope those who have come and did not get on with things NZ feel better for the experience rather than feeling it was a waste of time. Y'all have a nice day now!

Last edited by Genesis; May 23rd 2007 at 6:45 pm. Reason: No wish to start WW3!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.