Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

How many people are moving?

How many people are moving?

Old May 23rd 2007, 8:50 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many people are moving?

its a shame we have become so materialistic we are no longer satisfied with fantastic views, a beautiful country, nice wine, our family and banter with our neighbours. No longer content with working to pay our way....we now have to be earning enough to spend money on buying entertainment.

one of the reasons why i want to leave the UK - i have to pay for a view.

hopping between countries in search of something...... what is that something? i dunno..... somebody put something in my salami sandwich this morning I am guessing.
Old May 23rd 2007, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

I wonder why people get upset when you speak your mind. I thought we all believed in freedom of speech in a democratic society. But alas it makes me think Burt the Badger was right with one of his comments,speculating some members have an overidding interest in painting a rosy picture.
NZ Has certain advantages but it is not the land of milk and honey.
Cheers

Originally Posted by Lexylou
I wish I had listened too. You would not believe the pms I have had from people too scared to say anything on this board as they fear getting attacked. I have also had a few aggressive pms as I dared to say anything negative oh and also one very public attack from a certain member in the UK about MY opinion on NZ. She/he felt the need to tell me that I was negative and that I might be putting people off coming to NZ !!! Then it went into a big slagging match, with me asking them not to do it in public but to pm me, which they didn't. It then resulted in one member losing all control and calling me names (very mature!) and then the mods came in and stopped it. One member said he was leaving due to it all and everyone got all upset about it, so I agreed to stop posting so he could come back. Then I thought, WTF!!! Why am I doing that??? so here I am. They will NOT push me out like that again.

Funny, I post on another country here and we have such a laugh, really funny people with no chips on their shoulders. UNLIKE some people on this site. They allow opinion and have respect for each other. No one is hounded off or called names like being in a play ground.

Happy posting now!!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
its a shame we have become so materialistic we are no longer satisfied with fantastic views, a beautiful country, nice wine, our family and banter with our neighbours. No longer content with working to pay our way....we now have to be earning enough to spend money on buying entertainment.

one of the reasons why i want to leave the UK - i have to pay for a view.

hopping between countries in search of something...... what is that something? i dunno..... somebody put something in my salami sandwich this morning I am guessing.

you can't eat a view though, and a view won't heat your house.

Also don't think that going to NZ you will suddenly be living in a country where people are not into material things. I think you will get a shock.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
I wonder why people get upset when you speak your mind. I thought we all believed in freedom of speech in a democratic society. But alas it makes me think Burt the Badger was right with one of his comments,speculating some members have an overidding interest in painting a rosy picture.
NZ Has certain advantages but it is not the land of milk and honey.
Cheers
Thanks for that. I appreciate your thoughts on it.
I had an interesting pm the other day from someone that has a theory about those desperate to only hear positive things and hating and attacking those that don't go along with it. Their theory is that they are actually rather unhappy themselves and not all is happy in the garden. Those that shout the loudest and all that!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Also don't think that going to NZ you will suddenly be living in a country where people are not into material things. I think you will get a shock.
So true.
I have been called 'materialistic' in the past coz I enjoy shopping (even window shopping)
But you note one thing that stands out from the so called 'non materialistic' posters..how many of them start a sentance with "I couldn't possibly have bought a house this size and with all this land in the UK'...Lol
Never fails to amuse me.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

I know Burt Badger, many think he is a troll but he isn;t. he and his wife and family DID live in NZ and hated it.
Burt works away a lot which is why he isnt always around.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rascal
So true.
I have been called 'materialistic' in the past coz I enjoy shopping (even window shopping)
But you note one thing that stands out from the so called 'non materialistic' posters..how many of them start a sentance with "I couldn't possibly have bought a house this size and with all this land in the UK'...Lol
Never fails to amuse me.
yes and 'I have a boat' that one is always so funny. Not materalistic at all.

I am happy to be called materalisitc. I LOVE shopping, I love nice food, I love nice things for my house and I love my daughter looking nice in nice clothes. I LOVE nice hotels and I like nice wine. I like being warm in my house, I like looking at a lovely view from a 5* hotel!! (hehe)

I am materalistic and proud of it!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Rascal
I know Burt Badger, many think he is a troll but he isn;t. he and his wife and family DID live in NZ and hated it.
Burt works away a lot which is why he isnt always around.
I love his posts.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:09 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

my post did refer to "working to pay your way"... i meant earning what you need to live (heat, food, clothes, car).

i didnt mean my post to be slating you or anyone here direct. i just think its a sorry state of affairs for us all.... in search of utopia, not happy with our lot.

i was thinking out loud - dont do it very often for good reason!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:10 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I post on another country here and we have such a laugh, really funny people with no chips on their shoulders. UNLIKE some people on this site. They allow opinion and have respect for each other. No one is hounded off or called names like being in a play ground.
Hmmm...Can't be the Australian forum, obviously. The venom expressed there at times can be lethal
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

yes and 'I have a boat' that one is always so funny. Not materalistic at all.

I am happy to be called materalisitc. I LOVE shopping, I love nice food, I love nice things for my house and I love my daughter looking nice in nice clothes. I LOVE nice hotels and I like nice wine. I like being warm in my house, I like looking at a lovely view from a 5* hotel!! (hehe)

I am materalistic and proud of it!
I remember my ex once saying I was materialistic coz I LIKED XR3's!
I never got one though but he went out and spent 35,000 gbp on a F1 stock car for someone else to drive! lol
I like the same as you too, we must be twins!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

I love his posts.
I daren't tell you where he works!
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. I appreciate your thoughts on it.
I had an interesting pm the other day from someone that has a theory about those desperate to only hear positive things and hating and attacking those that don't go along with it. Their theory is that they are actually rather unhappy themselves and not all is happy in the garden. Those that shout the loudest and all that!

I think people like that are living in a dream world expecting NZ to be a panancea for all their troubles, and they don't want anyone spoiling their dream.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dreamfish
my post did refer to "working to pay your way"... i meant earning what you need to live (heat, food, clothes, car).

i didnt mean my post to be slating you or anyone here direct. i just think its a sorry state of affairs for us all.... in search of utopia, not happy with our lot.

i was thinking out loud - dont do it very often for good reason!
Ok thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate what you are saying. It is the way things are now, in fact the way things always have. I want nice things, I work very hard and so does my husband. I want my daughter to have the best life can offer but we also do our bit for charity. To date we give to 6 charities per month, to help those (animals too) have a better quality life too. For us we could not do all the things we wanted to do on NZ salaries. We earn in pounds what we did in dollars again and the £ goes a LONG way. There is no way of getting around it, we live in a material world, but it has always been like that. People have always wanted more and more and more. BUT we work to improve our lives and that of our daughter. When we found out we were having her, we knew we had to get back to the UK to earn as much money as we could so that she would have a good future. If we had stayed in NZ, we would not be that well of financially, we would not have been able to save the way we do here.

Unless one goes and lives off their own land, gets back to basics, becomes self ssufficientand turns their backs on the ways of the west, it is very hard not to be materialistic.

Good luck with your move though, NZ is great, the same way the UK is great. Its just a place at the end of the day. Its not heaven for me, but it is for some, just like my corner of rural Scotland is heaven for me.
Old May 23rd 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Hmmm...Can't be the Australian forum, obviously. The venom expressed there at times can be lethal
will have to pop in and have a looK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.