Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

dreaming of england

dreaming of england

Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:10 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future
Default Re: dreaming of england

LOL

Originally Posted by livewire
Gosh, it must be really hard to be an economic migrant.

Just a little tip though kazhen - don't leave that BBQ outside, it will just rust at this time of year.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:11 pm
livewire

Harry come and live up here, warm and sunny today - no rain yet!

Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:12 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Cool and muggy here
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:13 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

i can imagine, hope its not coming your way, better get a brolly if it does, thunder & lightning too, sky was black.
prefer wellington anyway to auckland, too big up there

Originally Posted by livewire
Harry come and live up here, warm and sunny today - no rain yet!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Mark & Sarah
What am I going to do?
Me and my family have spent the best part of 18 months trying to get into NZ and now we have succeeded and are ready to fly over (20/12)we are having second thoughts, thanks mainly to the posts in this thread.
Please please please can anyone tell me;

How are we gonna manage with a tin roof?

Get a life - some of you moaning buggers are giving us Northerners a bad name!
I have travelled all over Europe and the world and this "pride and live for today attitude" people talk about......Didnt see much of it in Poland,Turkey,Belgium,France (btw, I think they have finally run out of cars to burn).

Thanks for the balanced points of view folks.

Now, must start looking at getting a fridge! FFS!!!

Hear hear!!!
We too are flying out on the 20th but after reading these posts feel like cancelling the whole lot and stay put. And I was soooooo excited
Mind you, a tin roof doesn't sound too bad, have been homeless in my younger days and ANY roof would have been heaven.
Home is where you make it and we'll certainly be giving it 110% to enjoy what we do have and not what we did have. If we have the basics and each other then I'll be more than happy with that.
Where are you flying from Mark/Sarah? Maybe on the same flight and we could go halves on that fridge/freezer?!!!!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:18 pm
Banned

good luck to all new migrants here, i'll say it again, some of the best times of my life have been in new zealand, maybe you'll make it, maybe you won't, but you'll have tried whatever the outcome.
My belief is the posts on these forums are accurate to people with their eyes wide open, this is not the promised land, it has problems, missing things, social problems & even crime.
Pay is low, houses can be of very poor quality, even in nice areas & they aren't insulated, i dont care what anyone says, cost of living is high for wages,
if you can overcome this & have more determination in you than you ever thought possible, good luck to you,
i truly hope people make it here. But it is hard, it isn't even half easy, its bloody hard,
good luck, this is just honest postings, not vindictive or trying to make people not want to come, just honest as to what people have seen, i guarantee that a new migrant who is all bright eyed & bushy tailed is on here in 6 months wanting to go home, guarantee it.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:19 pm
livewire

Originally Posted by homesick harry
i can imagine, hope its not coming your way, better get a brolly if it does, thunder & lightning too, sky was black.
prefer wellington anyway to auckland, too big up there
We do big up here.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: dreaming of england

Originally Posted by Winnie
Hear hear!!!
We too are flying out on the 20th but after reading these posts feel like cancelling the whole lot and stay put. And I was soooooo excited
Mind you, a tin roof doesn't sound too bad, have been homeless in my younger days and ANY roof would have been heaven.
Home is where you make it and we'll certainly be giving it 110% to enjoy what we do have and not what we did have. If we have the basics and each other then I'll be more than happy with that.
Where are you flying from Mark/Sarah? Maybe on the same flight and we could go halves on that fridge/freezer?!!!!
I believe every man/woman has the god given right to own their own fridge and I claim this right as a naive immigrant to this great and promised land!(sorry harry, you aint put us off)
We fly from M/cr Airport on 20th Dec at 0950 (I think) to Singapore, with Singers Airline. We are actually heading for Perth to see relatives first. Then onto Hawkes Bay where I have been reliably informed the streets are paved with gold.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by homesick harry
good luck to all new migrants here, i'll say it again, some of the best times of my life have been in new zealand, maybe you'll make it, maybe you won't, but you'll have tried whatever the outcome.
My belief is the posts on these forums are accurate to people with their eyes wide open, this is not the promised land, it has problems, missing things, social problems & even crime.
Pay is low, houses can be of very poor quality, even in nice areas & they aren't insulated, i dont care what anyone says, cost of living is high for wages,
if you can overcome this & have more determination in you than you ever thought possible, good luck to you,
i truly hope people make it here. But it is hard, it isn't even half easy, its bloody hard,
good luck, this is just honest postings, not vindictive or trying to make people not want to come, just honest as to what people have seen, i guarantee that a new migrant who is all bright eyed & bushy tailed is on here in 6 months wanting to go home, guarantee it.
I certainly have determination. As I said in my last post I have been homeless with no possessions and clawed my way to what I am now. But in the UK I've had to fight for everything and am still fighting now, ask the bloody CSA!!!! Luckily I've got a job in NZ that pays a reasonable wage and again thats due to my determination at studying for a profession with little money to live on.
I reckon if I've done all that I'll survive in NZ.
Not looking for a big house and the high life, just a simple life with my family, something I can't have in the UK due to the government (working long hours, only coming out with 1/2 my salary because of pathetic rules from the government).
And I think my daughter will be better off, nowhere to go, and if on the street gets moved on by the police because they are 'talking too loud' in the UK!
Reckon I stand a chance?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mark & Sarah
I believe every man/woman has the god given right to own their own fridge and I claim this right as a naive immigrant to this great and promised land!(sorry harry, you aint put us off)
We fly from M/cr Airport on 20th Dec at 0950 (I think) to Singapore, with Singers Airline. We are actually heading for Perth to see relatives first. Then onto Hawkes Bay where I have been reliably informed the streets are paved with gold.
ROFL And I was making out the stickers for our tuperwear containers!!
Will just miss you, flying from Manchester but at 1.30pm to Thailand for a break. I'm sure they'd be happy for a tin roof in some parts there!
Good luck on your adventure, I bet you're a excited as we are?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:39 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

i have just been reading all the posts and it seems to me that the poms are the only ones who can actually answer a question, whether is be a negative or positive reply, without turning it around. again, the kiwis will always ignore and turn their backs on whatever they dont feel like facing up to.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:40 pm
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Have a great trip Mark & Sarah, My brother & sister-in- law just flew out to Auckland with Singapore airlines 5 days ago & said they had a fantastic flight & were stuffed by the time they arrived. You lucky so & so's, I wish our flamin' house would sell so I could escape the frigid weather we're having here in the Midwest of the USA. Harry hasn't put us off either, in fact we have a good laugh at his & some of the other "happy" crowds posts. They'd moan like hell at the prices of stuff here in the US & especially health ins. :scared:

I wonder if I should still be calling myself an expat, was in Saudi for over 6 yrs & have been living in the States for 16 yrs now.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:51 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Yep, best you take your son back to the Uk where he can grow up with a nice Nottingham, Brummy or Geordie or whatever accent, and he will have to wear shoes to avoid the dog shit and broken glass.
And what the first things we were asked in the Uk was where we lived, what school we sent our kids too and what we did for a living. may of well of just asked us how much we earned. My house is bigger than yours is alive and well in the UK too!
Not surprised you and the depressive Harry have no mates with that attitude towards your host country.
KAZ
How hinny, nowt rang with a Geordie accent ya kna!!!!! ...

Disclaimer:- the above statement is from me, Caroline, not Pinkie Pie - moderator...coming from a family of Geordies going back generations!!!!

For the love of God can we all just give it a rest!! Kiwis are kiwis and Brits are brits...vive la difference...
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Mark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really niceMark & Sarah is just really nice
Smile Re: dreaming of england

Originally Posted by cyndi
Have a great trip Mark & Sarah, My brother & sister-in- law just flew out to Auckland with Singapore airlines 5 days ago & said they had a fantastic flight & were stuffed by the time they arrived. You lucky so & so's, I wish our flamin' house would sell so I could escape the frigid weather we're having here in the Midwest of the USA. Harry hasn't put us off either, in fact we have a good laugh at his & some of the other "happy" crowds posts. They'd moan like hell at the prices of stuff here in the US & especially health ins. :scared:

I wonder if I should still be calling myself an expat, was in Saudi for over 6 yrs & have been living in the States for 16 yrs now.
Ta Cyndi, yeah we flown with them a few times before and I really rate them.You be careful or HH will have his cyber police kicking you off this forum for not being a true BRITISH expat!!
Cheerio! and very best of luck.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:59 pm
livewire

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
....Kiwis are kiwis and Brits are brits...vive la difference...
Yep, it would be a boring world if we were all the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.