Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

dreaming of england

dreaming of england

Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dreaming of england

Originally Posted by homesick harry
That doesn't bother me so much, I find that they're always trying to prove something, & can find some of them pretentious.
I dont know if its something to do with being a new country & miles away from anywhere, but they seem to be striving for some kind of identity. I can't stand the fact they have disassociated themselves with their British heritage, they slag of brits, but they've all got british blood in them. This doesn't translate to other countries though, they're all proud to have french / german / whatever blood somewhere down the line, or they're happy to claim 1/64th Maori in them, but they cant bring themselves to be part European. My point regarding this is they seem to have forgotten or don't want to know where they've come from, & this breeds the striving for an identity thing i mentioned. I'm not keen on people who don't remember where they've come from, I like heritage & history in a person & in a place & i dont get that here.
You are absolutely 100% spot on there!
Said it time after time myself, usually causes a few ruffles amongst kiwi feathers but......so be it. Its the truth.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:07 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mark & Sarah
I believe every man/woman has the god given right to own their own fridge and I claim this right as a naive immigrant to this great and promised land!(sorry harry, you aint put us off)
We fly from M/cr Airport on 20th Dec at 0950 (I think) to Singapore, with Singers Airline. We are actually heading for Perth to see relatives first. Then onto Hawkes Bay where I have been reliably informed the streets are paved with gold.

Do y'self a favour and stay in Perth.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:12 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by silvermuse
i have just been reading all the posts and it seems to me that the poms are the only ones who can actually answer a question, whether is be a negative or positive reply, without turning it around. again, the kiwis will always ignore and turn their backs on whatever they dont feel like facing up to.
With respect, maybe it's because they don't understand what we left and what we expected and what we got.
Some of this is pure homesickness and anyone woudl experience it regardless but some are our observations of living here day to day and realising we felt ripped off enough in the UK thanks and didn't want to come here to get ripped off too.

I thinkit is fine here if you are of school age but after school what opportunities are there? So I think I see why you are feeling so disconnected. I would not recommend anyone bring family here.

Last edited by mumomonty; Dec 6th 2005 at 2:14 am. Reason: Forgot to add.....
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:53 am
livewire

Hawkes Bay? Isn't that where the Mongrel Mob have a chapter? it's not gold those streets are paved with - it's something a lot more expensive

http://www.hbtoday.co.nz/storydispla...thesubsection=

Old Dec 6th 2005, 5:49 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mumomonty
With respect, maybe it's because they don't understand what we left and what we expected and what we got.
Some of this is pure homesickness and anyone woudl experience it regardless but some are our observations of living here day to day and realising we felt ripped off enough in the UK thanks and didn't want to come here to get ripped off too.

I thinkit is fine here if you are of school age but after school what opportunities are there? So I think I see why you are feeling so disconnected. I would not recommend anyone bring family here.
yes exactly, now i've left school, im wondering what to do here!
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:32 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: dreaming of england

Here's what I think is the root of all the problems highlighted on this and many other threads -

Us Brits will happily admit when there is something negative about our country.

New Zealanders will NEVER admit anything is wrong with their country.

And Us Brits can't understand that attitude and spend all our time trying to point out to Kiwis all the multiple problems in NZ which the Kiwis will not admit to, and in fact try to deny exist.

Interestingly though, you never see threads of this vehemence on the Australia forum.......................

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:43 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

And Us Brits can't understand that attitude and spend all our time trying to point out to Kiwis all the multiple problems in NZ which the Kiwis will not admit to, and in fact try to deny exist.

Buzzy
Why do you feel the need to tell kiwis 'all of the multiple problems in NZ'? It doesn't seem like a very good way of settling into a new life in a completely different place.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:53 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

OMG Something like, 'show them the error of their ways'? It's hilarous! NOT. And then people accuse the Kiwis of arrogance
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:59 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Apple12
Why do you feel the need to tell kiwis 'all of the multiple problems in NZ'? It doesn't seem like a very good way of settling into a new life in a completely different place.
it is a way of countering the defensive stance some people take that belittle other peoples views regarding the multitude of subjects under discussoin on this forum.

Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:01 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
it is a way of countering the defensive stance some people take that belittle other peoples views regarding the multitude of subjects under discussoin on this forum.
Errrrm ok. I think.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:13 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by Apple12
Errrrm ok. I think.
sorry for the long explanation - it is very difficult to point out the bleeding obvious without embellishing to break up the tedium.

Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: dreaming of england

Yes. That's what I meant. Or something like that. I think the reason we act like I described above is because the Kiwis constantly ram down our throats how much better NZ is than anywhere else and we feel the need to defend this and "point out the problems with NZ". I never felt this way before I moved to NZ, and haven't since I returned to the UK.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dreaming of england/just go then!

Nice Guy - you and another poster have both made comments on here tonight to the effect that you are happy with your lot- no one has taken offence to that. Others are not happy...... and are making on-topic postings to that effect.

It is so easy not to read these posts if you dont like them....
Well thanks turkeytickler (cool name by the way) for confirming what I already knew and I am so pleased I have not upset anyone by being content with my lot, that's a large weight off my mind.

My offer, I thought, is a very generous and benevolent attempt to assist UK weary people back to their homeland, which incidentally is also my homeland. Not one person has taken up this kind service but there is still time to return before Christmas if so desired.

And likewise to the last sentence of your posting.

homesick harry I am sure your postings have been greeted with the veracity that they have been written, however as I am a closet epidemiologist I am intrigued by one of your postings where you state:

Originally Posted by homesick harry
........ read somethign saying 195000 people left the uk last year for NZ, 110000 returned within 1 year, 60% of people cant all be wrong.
Edited by Nice Guy for space reasons

What is your source and reference for this interesting information?

This is not a knocking I am genuinely fascinated.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:58 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Smile Re: dreaming of england/just go then!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Well thanks turkeytickler (cool name by the way) for confirming what I already knew and I am so pleased I have not upset anyone by being content with my lot, that's a large weight off my mind.

My offer, I thought, is a very generous and benevolent attempt to assist UK weary people back to their homeland, which incidentally is also my homeland. Not one person has taken up this kind service but there is still time to return before Christmas if so desired.

And likewise to the last sentence of your posting.

homesick harry I am sure your postings have been greeted with the veracity that they have been written, however as I am a closet epidemiologist I am intrigued by one of your postings where you state:

Edited by Nice Guy for space reasons

What is your source and reference for this interesting information?

This is not a knocking I am genuinely fascinated.
You may have a problem getting a reply - he's been banned!

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 6th 2005, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: dreaming of england/just go then!

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
You may have a problem getting a reply - he's been banned!

Cheers

Buzzy
Banned!

Bugger!

What for?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.