Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

dreaming of england

dreaming of england

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:39 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: dreaming of england

Originally Posted by turkeytickler
i bet you do - but its ok we know you are still busy learning to clap.
Cost of adequate housing in NZ - lots
Cost of healthcare in NZ- tons
Cost of TT's reply to Clappy C - PRICELESS.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:50 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Pmsl :d
Old Dec 5th 2005, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

ok first things first - no one needs your blessing to flame or ignore.

now each of your rants in turn;
I think if you want to see a rant, you need to re-read the posts of yourself and your fellow whingers in this thread. I've rarely seen such an extended, mutually supporting rant as this.

Subject of Posts
- in case you had not noticed, this website is called BritishExpats, and this is a forum for said people living in New Zealand. You might not therefore be surprised to encounter people sharing their collective experiences, be they good or bad. You will see evidence of both, from some of the people you (along with most of your fellow countryfolk) label "whingers".
If you look at my profile you'll notice that I'm not an insular kiwi but someone who's lived in both UK and NZ. I am a dual citizen, hold a Brit passport and have as much right to call myself a Brit expat as the next man.

Insulation
- insulation is of course freely available on the market - i dont suppose anyone is suggesting otherwise. However, like the UK, in the winter, New Zealand is a very cold country. People cottoned on to this fact in the UK about 2 decades ago and you will therefore find insulation in most homes. It appears that in their collective ignorance, since they had it drummed into them from childhood that new zealand is a land of sun and warmth - that kiwis have yet to realise this and persist with their stoical tolerance of a cold home. Why pay to warm a home when you can chuck half the heat out of your windows and roof after all?
Maybe they just don't care about the cold so much, don't mind wearing warm clothes, and would rather spend their time and money on other things. I know plenty of kiwis with heated and insulated houses, and plenty with cold draughty ones - it's just not something they obsess about here. But that doesn't mean you have to live in a cold house and whinge about it, you can make yours warm if it bothers you.

Driving
whats wrong with driving?... well where to start... the petrol that you hold so dear is made from oil - and commodity that is rapidly depleting. I believe a rather large war has recently been fought in its name and is indeed ongoing, although with your TV's extensive coverage of the Lord of the Rings it may have escaped your attention.
Yes, it's been rapidly depleting since the 60s, still shows no sign of running out, and wasn't doing much good in the ground anyway. And when/if it does run out, there's always bio-diesel, fuel cells, solar power, nuclear fusion, etc etc. And the recent war was fought in the name of democracy, although the phrase "it's all about oil" is another one frequently trotted out by illogical whingers in other circles. Anyway, as someone whose income is wholly derived from the defence budgets of two countries, I can hardly complain if there's an occasional war.

Cars, kill people. Speeding in urban areas is a major problem in NZ. The standard of driving is appalling. Cities are being destroyed by suburban malls, and this has been enabled by the fact that car ownership now implicit in nz life. I have travelled throughout Europe, America and Asia, and NZ is second only in its prevalence of stupidly overpowered cars and 4x4s that have never so much as seen a dirt track.
Lots of things kill people, and the road toll per passenger km is not much worse here than the UK, and a whole lot better than plenty of other places. I think there is less speeding on NZ roads than UK ones, certainly I have been amazed at how fast I seem to be going when breaking the speed limit by 10-20 kph, whereas breaking it by a similar margin in the UK makes you feel like a rolling roadblock. Haven't got a problem with 4x4s, in fact I drive one and it does a whole heap more m per g than the smelly, largely passenger-free routemaster buses I spend half my driving time stuck behind in the UK.

I would not regard anyone under the age of 17 (the legal age to drive in the UK) or anyone sufficiently disabled to be unable to drive as a "pleb" - clearly the NZ you wish to inhabit has no place for these people.
Well, that's your opinion, personally I think NZ is much more child-friendly than the UK and I'd rather bring up my children here, having experienced both as a child. Kids seem quite happy and safe here going to school by foot or bus, and there are dedicated school buses where required.

Could you now please explain why a bus lane that has the capacity to transport 40-80 people in one vehicle (depending on the spec of the bus) is stupid whereas a road open to cars which on average occupy 12x the body space of a human being is not?
Because the capacity of a bus is very rarely used, and the lanes in UK are converted from road that could otherwise be carrying many dozens more times cars.

- Appliances
What can i say - check your facts. They cost more in NZ. They do .... thats that.... accept you are wrong and stop being so silly.
I did check my facts, the prices in NZ are admittedly higher than in the UK but not to the exagerrated extent that you, in your attempt to justify your unhappiness, make out. And if the average fridge lasts ten years, but costs $900 instead of $500, then WTF? It's hardly a major cost-driver in my monthly budget.

Exchange Rate
- If affects people in many ways and since you dont seem to have the imagination to think of them for yourself i will point out the more obvious ones;
- Savings
- Pensions
- House Sales
- Travel

Steel Roofs
- I dont have a problem with these but i suppose insulation plays a part.... aesthetics too - which i realise is an alien concept to those from this cultural desert......
You don't have a problem?!?!? They were mentioned about a dozen times in the whingeathon above. And what's so aesthetic about tiles?

Getting off your Arse
- Practice as you preach - sell your car and try to survive in NZ....
I have no intention of selling either of my cars, or either of my bikes, or either of my windsurfers. I use the mode of transport that is most appropriate to my situation. I do intend to survive in NZ, however.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default dreaming of england/just go then!

Can’t say I want to get into a flaming forum argument, but for what it’s worth I am on holiday all next week, so if any of you who don’t like NZ and want to leave ASAP, I’m offering a free taxi ride to the airport (Auckland only…..sorry South Island)

Pick you up…..drop you off and……..goodbye!

You get happier and by the same token…………..so do we!

A Win/Win situation!

Excellent………so who’s first?
Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:21 am
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
I think if you want to see a rant, you need to re-read the posts of yourself and your fellow whingers in this thread. I've rarely seen such an extended, mutually supporting rant as this.

If you look at my profile you'll notice that I'm not an insular kiwi but someone who's lived in both UK and NZ. I am a dual citizen, hold a Brit passport and have as much right to call myself a Brit expat as the next man.

Maybe they just don't care about the cold so much, don't mind wearing warm clothes, and would rather spend their time and money on other things. I know plenty of kiwis with heated and insulated houses, and plenty with cold draughty ones - it's just not something they obsess about here. But that doesn't mean you have to live in a cold house and whinge about it, you can make yours warm if it bothers you.

Yes, it's been rapidly depleting since the 60s, still shows no sign of running out, and wasn't doing much good in the ground anyway. And when/if it does run out, there's always bio-diesel, fuel cells, solar power, nuclear fusion, etc etc. And the recent war was fought in the name of democracy, although the phrase "it's all about oil" is another one frequently trotted out by illogical whingers in other circles. Anyway, as someone whose income is wholly derived from the defence budgets of two countries, I can hardly complain if there's an occasional war.

Lots of things kill people, and the road toll per passenger km is not much worse here than the UK, and a whole lot better than plenty of other places. I think there is less speeding on NZ roads than UK ones, certainly I have been amazed at how fast I seem to be going when breaking the speed limit by 10-20 kph, whereas breaking it by a similar margin in the UK makes you feel like a rolling roadblock. Haven't got a problem with 4x4s, in fact I drive one and it does a whole heap more m per g than the smelly, largely passenger-free routemaster buses I spend half my driving time stuck behind in the UK.

Well, that's your opinion, personally I think NZ is much more child-friendly than the UK and I'd rather bring up my children here, having experienced both as a child. Kids seem quite happy and safe here going to school by foot or bus, and there are dedicated school buses where required.

Because the capacity of a bus is very rarely used, and the lanes in UK are converted from road that could otherwise be carrying many dozens more times cars.

I did check my facts, the prices in NZ are admittedly higher than in the UK but not to the exagerrated extent that you, in your attempt to justify your unhappiness, make out. And if the average fridge lasts ten years, but costs $900 instead of $500, then WTF? It's hardly a major cost-driver in my monthly budget.

You don't have a problem?!?!? They were mentioned about a dozen times in the whingeathon above. And what's so aesthetic about tiles?

I have no intention of selling either of my cars, or either of my bikes, or either of my windsurfers. I use the mode of transport that is most appropriate to my situation. I do intend to survive in NZ, however.
here we go again...

1. i didnt make any comment about your qualifications for being in this forum - i just pointed out the (obvious) fact that the subject was consistent with the title of the forum. Are you saying that Kiwis are insular?

2. bottom line - the houses are cold and it is not economical to heat them.

3. im just not going there as regards the oil/public transport debate - some people just wont listen and i cant be bothered to shout. im sorry you feel those without cars are plebs but it only goes to prove the car culture argument that i and others have highlighted.

4. As regards the price of a fridge - i think you are mistaking me for someone who has posted on this subject... i have simply said that goods cost more in NZ which by your own admission is true.... i am sure a man of your wit can see that the fridge is being used as an indicator of higher costs .... i dont suppose (no doubt to your disgust) that there are swarms of 747s heading back to the UK full of people whos emigration has failed due the price of a fridge

5. Re roofs - aesthetics are by definition subjective..... enjoy the view...

6. Re the war - Im not talking about the battle for Mordor you know....there was also one in the real world and it had nothing to do with democracy

Old Dec 5th 2005, 9:25 am
turkeytickler

Default Re: dreaming of england/just go then!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Can’t say I want to get into a flaming forum argument, but for what it’s worth I am on holiday all next week, so if any of you who don’t like NZ and want to leave ASAP, I’m offering a free taxi ride to the airport (Auckland only…..sorry South Island)

Pick you up…..drop you off and……..goodbye!

You get happier and by the same token…………..so do we!

A Win/Win situation!

Excellent………so who’s first?
Nice Guy - you and another poster have both made comments on here tonight to the effect that you are happy with your lot- no one has taken offence to that. Others are not happy...... and are making on-topic postings to that effect.

It is so easy not to read these posts if you dont like them....

Old Dec 5th 2005, 10:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: dreaming of england

ok first things first - no one needs your blessing to flame or ignore.

now each of your rants in turn;

Subject of Posts
- in case you had not noticed, this website is called BritishExpats, and this is a forum for said people living in New Zealand. You might not therefore be surprised to encounter people sharing their collective experiences, be they good or bad. You will see evidence of both, from some of the people you (along with most of your fellow countryfolk) label "whingers".

Insulation
- insulation is of course freely available on the market - i dont suppose anyone is suggesting otherwise. However, like the UK, in the winter, New Zealand is a very cold country. People cottoned on to this fact in the UK about 2 decades ago and you will therefore find insulation in most homes. It appears that in their collective ignorance, since they had it drummed into them from childhood that new zealand is a land of sun and warmth - that kiwis have yet to realise this and persist with their stoical tolerance of a cold home. Why pay to warm a home when you can chuck half the heat out of your windows and roof after all?

Driving
whats wrong with driving?... well where to start... the petrol that you hold so dear is made from oil - and commodity that is rapidly depleting. I believe a rather large war has recently been fought in its name and is indeed ongoing, although with your TV's extensive coverage of the Lord of the Rings it may have escaped your attention.

Cars, kill people. Speeding in urban areas is a major problem in NZ. The standard of driving is appalling. Cities are being destroyed by suburban malls, and this has been enabled by the fact that car ownership now implicit in nz life. I have travelled throughout Europe, America and Asia, and NZ is second only in its prevalence of stupidly overpowered cars and 4x4s that have never so much as seen a dirt track.

I would not regard anyone under the age of 17 (the legal age to drive in the UK) or anyone sufficiently disabled to be unable to drive as a "pleb" - clearly the NZ you wish to inhabit has no place for these people.

Could you now please explain why a bus lane that has the capacity to transport 40-80 people in one vehicle (depending on the spec of the bus) is stupid whereas a road open to cars which on average occupy 12x the body space of a human being is not?

- Appliances
What can i say - check your facts. They cost more in NZ. They do .... thats that.... accept you are wrong and stop being so silly.

Exchange Rate
- If affects people in many ways and since you dont seem to have the imagination to think of them for yourself i will point out the more obvious ones;
- Savings
- Pensions
- House Sales
- Travel

Steel Roofs
- I dont have a problem with these but i suppose insulation plays a part.... aesthetics too - which i realise is an alien concept to those from this cultural desert......

Getting off your Arse
- Practice as you preach - sell your car and try to survive in NZ....

Well said!!! I agree with everything in this post. Vehemently. I am NOT taking my family back to live in NZ - we are going to Oz or staying in the UK. Because I am not going to become what the Kiwis see as a "Whinging Pom", would rather just stay away from the place. It is a beautiful beautiful country - I love the country, but I never want to WORK there again and I never want to put up with the attitudes towards the English of a significant proportion of Kiwis (not all of them by any means but enough to p**s me off.)

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I never want to put up with the attitudes towards the English of a significant proportion of Kiwis (not all of them by any means but enough to p**s me off.)

Cheers

Buzzy
Well the lot of you, whining, moaning people are P*****g me off.
Bugger off back to England with the lot of you, 3rd world country, babies dying. It's bullshit!
KAZ
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

All experiences, GOOD or BAD, are being shared so that future migrants can be armed with ALL the information, forearmed is forwarned. The forum is also for expats living in NZ to connect with others living there. We all have a "moan" now and again about our "host" countries, it's natural, read the other country forums on BE and you will see we all do it no matter where we live. However calling fellow posters "whinging poms" etc is counter productive. We don't walk in each other shoes, so please think carefully when wording posts. If you really do not agree with someone others point of view then rather than get into a slanging match of words put them on ignore.

The name calling and spiteful remarks need to stop, we are not in school and it is spoiling it for other users!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
All experiences, GOOD or BAD, are being shared so that future migrants can be armed with ALL the information, forearmed is forwarned. The forum is also for expats living in NZ to connect with others living there. We all have a "moan" now and again about our "host" countries, it's natural, read the other country forums on BE and you will see we all do it no matter where we live. However calling fellow posters "whinging poms" etc is counter productive. We don't walk in each other shoes, so please think carefully when wording posts. If you really do not agree with someone others point of view then rather than get into a slanging match of words put them on ignore.

The name calling and spiteful remarks need to stop, we are not in school and it is spoiling it for other users!
OK, fair call - I'll shut up on this one. I just wish the malcontents wouldn't go on about it quite so much, and I hope that not too many potential migrants will get off by all the drivel - sorry, negative opinions - that is becoming so prevalent on this forum.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 6:46 pm
Banned

homesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant futurehomesick harry has a brilliant future

well this has all got a bit silly, arguing amongst one another when its all opinions & perceptions.
My opinion is that the Kiwi dream is oversold by NZIS & by certain things within the media. I doubt how anyone from an objective place like europe can say that NZ is open minded & free thinking, but thats my opinion. People are totally & utterly entitled to both sides of an opinion on here, & if potential migrants are put off by people who are living the experience & dont like it, then thats their decision, they cant have been 100% convinced in the 1st place, similarly, if people are encouraged by your positive experiences, so be it.
I do wonder though if some people are so against negative comments because they themselves don't want to hear them, as it might mean them taking their heads out of the sand, but again, thats my opinion.
There is in my opinion a greater feeling amongst expats that NZ is expensive, under developed, difficult to travel from & difficult to get ahead in, surely not all these people are wrong, or influenced by this forum, lets not be so anal as to think this forum genuinely influences peoples opinions, people alrady have those opinions & simply share them here.
These opinions are not drivel, they are based on people's experiences, yes you can rememdy all the things listed on this post, the insulation, the damp etc, but with what money is what i want to know, not everyone is in the position to rip out walls, insulate them & re-gib them. As far as these things not being a problem & kiwis getting on with it, thats their perogative to have this 'pioneering, we built this country with our bare hands' spirit, get over it & get on with a modern life. Brits dont want that sort of housing, oh & damp gives kids asthma ( & thats according to something i saw on Close Up), good luck with that on people's conscience.
This isn't a 'banging new zealands drum' forum, its a british expats forum, so how Kiwis like Kaz Hen who live in england can say its bullshit that babies are dying, when thats what an article in the 1 daily newspaper this nations capital can produce (a bit like pravda in the USSR with the 1 paper), then i tend to believe it.
This is an open forum, seems to me like some people have taken the kiwi attitude of not being allowed to say anything negative on board very quickly.
Its all opinions & perceptions, i enjoy hearing both, & whilst my experience has been mixed & is now negative ( I have had some of the best times of my entire life in NZ by the way), i can handle hearing positive ones, why cant the positive people stand to hear the negative ones, i really dont understand that if i'm honest.

OK, fair call - I'll shut up on this one. I just wish the malcontents wouldn't go on about it quite so much, and I hope that not too many potential migrants will get off by all the drivel - sorry, negative opinions - that is becoming so prevalent on this forum.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:30 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Well the lot of you, whining, moaning people are P*****g me off.
Bugger off back to England with the lot of you, 3rd world country, babies dying. It's bullshit!
KAZ
I suppose the difference between you and me is that i am "whinging" about real issues, whereas you are "whinging" about other peoples opinions.

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:31 pm
turkeytickler

just dont read the posts - apparently there is way of ignoring users - please do me a favour and put me at the top of your list....

Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:38 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Have you noticed how it's the kiwis on here that always resort to name calling makes me laugh when most of the ones on this board don't even live in NZ anymore. They are just proving what a blinkered, insecure lot they truly are when they start with the insults.
Their way or no way lol!
Old Dec 5th 2005, 7:40 pm
turkeytickler

Originally Posted by sky
Have you noticed how it's the kiwis on here that always resort to name calling makes me laugh when most of the ones on this board don't even live in NZ anymore. They are just proving what a blinkered, insecure lot they truly are when they start with the insults.
Their way or no way lol!
secretly they love it - why else would they read and post on here??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.